AIDS, HIV and other diseases detected in 32 people detained in Baku
Based on numerous requests from citizens, 83 people were detained in Baku as a result of the measures taken by the city’s Main Police Office on Sept. 15-30, the Interior Ministry and the Prosecutor General’s Office said in a joint statement on Oct. 2.
The measures were taken in order to identify individuals who offer paid intimate services to local citizens and foreign tourists in evenings in the central parts of the city, especially in Nasimi, Narimanov, Sabail and Yasamal districts, violate the public order by insulting those who refuse these services and causing a dispute, as well as to check whether they are carriers of skin and venereal diseases.
According to the statement, with respect to these persons, protocols under articles 510 (minor hooliganism) and 535.1 (disobedience to lawful demands of a police officer) of the Code of Administrative Offences were drawn up and sent to courts. In respect of 56 persons, a preventive measure was imposed in the form of administrative arrest while 18 others were fined administratively and 9 warned.
Thirty-two of those put under administrative arrest in consideration of requests from the attorneys of the detainees have been transferred to skin-venereal dispensaries and 32 people who were not diagnosed with any venereal disease have been exempted from arrest.
According to the current results of medical and laboratory examinations, 32 patients have been diagnosed with various venereal diseases, including 6 with AIDS, six with HIV, 16 with syphilis, 2 in acute urethritis, Candida albicans and Trichomoniasis , and 2 with hepatitis HVC virus. Urgent actions are being taken with healthcare authorities in order to find out whether others carry venereal diseases or not, and to prevent them from deliberately spreading this disease.
"Media reports of alleged attacks on sexual minorities and violation of their rights are unfounded. We would like to note once again that the purpose of such action is to bring to justice those have violated public order and to prevent dangerous contagious diseases from spreading," the statement said.
Related news releases
- 15.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev views overhauled Ludwigshafen Park in Sumgayit
- 15.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev views "Kimyachi" Culture Palace in Sumgayit after major overhaul
- 15.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Flag Museum in Sumgayit
- 15.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Important steps being taken in Azerbaijan to attract youth to science
- 14.12.2017State Program on Development of Inclusive Education for People with Disabilities approved
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijani Emergency Situations Ministry holds board meeting on its 12th anniversary
- 14.12.2017Winners of “Emergency Situations Through The Eyes of Children” competition awarded
- 13.12.2017Azerbaijan prohibits changing of specialty in master’s degree
- 13.12.2017Azerbaijan developing concept of cadaveric organ transplantation
- 13.12.2017Azerbaijan specifies conditions in which students will get academic vacation
- 12.12.2017Abbas Alasgarov awarded Order “For Service to Motherland”
- 11.12.2017Traffic to be restricted in some streets and avenues of Baku on Dec. 12
- 08.12.2017Tariff Council approves prices of more than 300 registered medicines
- 08.12.2017Book titled “Splendor and Misery of Leyla Yunus” presented
- 08.12.2017Anar Baghirov: Bar Association was partly responsible for delay in lawyer admissions
- 07.12.2017Criminal elements detected in activities of 23 municipalities
- 07.12.2017Several human rights defenders appeal to President Ilham Aliyev
- 07.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: Another 10 carpet weaving factories to open in Azerbaijan next year
- 07.12.2017Azerbaijan specifies non-working days for next year's holidays
- 07.12.2017Ilham Aliyev: "ASAN Service" is most effective tool against corruption, bribery
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of Flag Museum in Guba
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates ‘ASAN heyat’ complex in Guba
- 07.12.2017New chairman of Azerbaijan’s Bar Association elected
- 07.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends ground breaking ceremony of highway to be built on Azerbaijan-Russia state border
- 06.12.2017Citizens of OIC countries to get grants for education in Azerbaijan
- 06.12.2017Javanshir Gurbanov awarded Order ‘For Service to the Motherland’
- 06.12.2017About 80 percent of Azerbaijani citizens optimistic about the country's future
- 05.12.2017President Ilham Aliyev awards workers of communication and high-tech sector
- 05.12.2017Number of Nakhchivan’s population publicized
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijan postpones election of new ombudsperson
- 04.12.2017Baku’s population nears 2.6 million
- 04.12.2017Azerbaijan Business Case Competition 2017 wraps up
- 02.12.2017Weather forecast for tomorrow
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijan increases duties on reissue of lost and deteriorated international passports and ID cards
- 01.12.2017Azerbaijan modifying conditions for selection of pretrial detention type
- 01.12.2017MP Hasanguliyev: English-language TV channel should be created in Azerbaijan
- 01.12.2017Half of HIV-infected people in Europe is diagnosed late – WHO
- 01.12.2017Preliminary hearing held for APFP deputy chairperson accused of smuggling
- 01.12.2017MP: Half of men in Azerbaijan smoke
- 30.11.2017Deputy PM: Azerbaijan unlikely to adopt mandatory medical insurance in 1-2 years
- 02.10.201728% of Azerbaijani women believe men have the right to beat their wives
- 02.10.2017No cases of harm to minors at religious ceremonies in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 02.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev viewed Safari Park Shamakhi
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijan presents report at Asian Conference on Disaster Reduction
- 02.10.2017UNICEF: 4-month paid maternity leave in Azerbaijan 'insufficient'
- 02.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Shamakhi district for visit