AIDS, HIV and other diseases detected in 32 people detained in Baku
Based on numerous requests from citizens, 83 people were detained in Baku as a result of the measures taken by the city’s Main Police Office on Sept. 15-30, the Interior Ministry and the Prosecutor General’s Office said in a joint statement on Oct. 2.
The measures were taken in order to identify individuals who offer paid intimate services to local citizens and foreign tourists in evenings in the central parts of the city, especially in Nasimi, Narimanov, Sabail and Yasamal districts, violate the public order by insulting those who refuse these services and causing a dispute, as well as to check whether they are carriers of skin and venereal diseases.
According to the statement, with respect to these persons, protocols under articles 510 (minor hooliganism) and 535.1 (disobedience to lawful demands of a police officer) of the Code of Administrative Offences were drawn up and sent to courts. In respect of 56 persons, a preventive measure was imposed in the form of administrative arrest while 18 others were fined administratively and 9 warned.
Thirty-two of those put under administrative arrest in consideration of requests from the attorneys of the detainees have been transferred to skin-venereal dispensaries and 32 people who were not diagnosed with any venereal disease have been exempted from arrest.
According to the current results of medical and laboratory examinations, 32 patients have been diagnosed with various venereal diseases, including 6 with AIDS, six with HIV, 16 with syphilis, 2 in acute urethritis, Candida albicans and Trichomoniasis , and 2 with hepatitis HVC virus. Urgent actions are being taken with healthcare authorities in order to find out whether others carry venereal diseases or not, and to prevent them from deliberately spreading this disease.
"Media reports of alleged attacks on sexual minorities and violation of their rights are unfounded. We would like to note once again that the purpose of such action is to bring to justice those have violated public order and to prevent dangerous contagious diseases from spreading," the statement said.
Related news releases
- 19.07.2018Foreigners can get work visas in Azerbaijan through ASAN Visa – Migration Service
- 19.07.2018North-west wind to intensify in Baku in coming days
- 19.07.2018Number of foreigners granted refugee status in Azerbaijan rises
- 19.07.2018Number of foreigners visiting Azerbaijan increases
- 17.07.2018Azerbaijan increases fines for pedestrians violating road crossing rules
- 17.07.2018Azerbaijani president approves amendments to Code of Administrative Offenses
- 14.07.2018Minister: Serious violations in appointment of pensions reveal in Azerbaijan
- 14.07.2018Weather forecast for July 15
- 14.07.2018Amendments to Azerbaijan’s migration legislation come into force
- 13.07.2018Number of Azerbaijani population has been announced
- 13.07.2018Sudeif Imamverdiyev awarded Sharaf Order
- 13.07.2018BHOS students to work and do internship at Petkim in Turkey
- 12.07.2018Temperature to drop in Baku
- 12.07.2018Baku Higher Oil School and Ministry of Labor and Social Protection hold joint presentation at BHOS
- 11.07.2018BHOS achieves 100 percent MBA student enrollment
- 10.07.2018Meteorologists warn of hot weather in Azerbaijan
- 10.07.2018Scottish newspaper publishes names of BHOS graduates
- 09.07.2018UNEC offers second specialization free for students gaining 700 points
- 07.07.2018Head of Sumgayit water canal department fined for sewage water pumped into Caspian Sea
- 06.07.2018Temperature to drop, north-west wind to intensify in Baku
- 05.07.2018Mehriban Aliyeva: Main goal to produce graduates that meet global labor market needs
- 04.07.2018Temperature to drop by 4-6 degrees in Azerbaijan from July 5
- 04.07.2018Hot weather to stay in Absheron peninsula
- 04.07.2018Lunar eclipse to take place in July – ANAS
- 03.07.2018Meteorologists warn hot weather will continue across Azerbaijan
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani roads affected by series of landslides, new landslide-prone areas emerge in several districts
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijani border guards intercept 7 trespassers
- 02.07.2018Azerbaijan to submit report on sustainable development to UN in 2019
- 02.07.2018Deputy PM: Azerbaijan to work towards goal of building a more socially oriented society by 2030
- 02.07.2018Weather temperature to reach 46C in Azerbaijan
- 30.06.2018Int’l competition and nationwide championship of junior rescuers and firefighters end in Gabal
- 30.06.2018Hot weather to prevail in Baku in coming days
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijani president promotes two Interior Ministry officers
- 29.06.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov receives citizens in Siyazan
- 29.06.2018July weather forecast for Azerbaijan
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijan increases state duties for driving license issuance and car registration
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijan extends registration period for foreigners
- 29.06.2018Post of chief probation officer created in Azerbaijan
- 28.06.2018Azerbaijan's new Deputy Minister of Education appointed
- 28.06.2018Baku Forum on Sustainable Development to be held in October
- 02.10.201728% of Azerbaijani women believe men have the right to beat their wives
- 02.10.2017No cases of harm to minors at religious ceremonies in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 02.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev viewed Safari Park Shamakhi
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijan presents report at Asian Conference on Disaster Reduction
- 02.10.2017UNICEF: 4-month paid maternity leave in Azerbaijan 'insufficient'
- 02.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Shamakhi district for visit