AIDS, HIV and other diseases detected in 32 people detained in Baku
Based on numerous requests from citizens, 83 people were detained in Baku as a result of the measures taken by the city’s Main Police Office on Sept. 15-30, the Interior Ministry and the Prosecutor General’s Office said in a joint statement on Oct. 2.
The measures were taken in order to identify individuals who offer paid intimate services to local citizens and foreign tourists in evenings in the central parts of the city, especially in Nasimi, Narimanov, Sabail and Yasamal districts, violate the public order by insulting those who refuse these services and causing a dispute, as well as to check whether they are carriers of skin and venereal diseases.
According to the statement, with respect to these persons, protocols under articles 510 (minor hooliganism) and 535.1 (disobedience to lawful demands of a police officer) of the Code of Administrative Offences were drawn up and sent to courts. In respect of 56 persons, a preventive measure was imposed in the form of administrative arrest while 18 others were fined administratively and 9 warned.
Thirty-two of those put under administrative arrest in consideration of requests from the attorneys of the detainees have been transferred to skin-venereal dispensaries and 32 people who were not diagnosed with any venereal disease have been exempted from arrest.
According to the current results of medical and laboratory examinations, 32 patients have been diagnosed with various venereal diseases, including 6 with AIDS, six with HIV, 16 with syphilis, 2 in acute urethritis, Candida albicans and Trichomoniasis , and 2 with hepatitis HVC virus. Urgent actions are being taken with healthcare authorities in order to find out whether others carry venereal diseases or not, and to prevent them from deliberately spreading this disease.
"Media reports of alleged attacks on sexual minorities and violation of their rights are unfounded. We would like to note once again that the purpose of such action is to bring to justice those have violated public order and to prevent dangerous contagious diseases from spreading," the statement said.
Related news releases
- 22.03.2018Weather forecast for March 23
- 20.03.2018Spring comes to Azerbaijan
- 20.03.2018First Vice-President Mehriban Aliyeva met with wives of heads of diplomatic missions - PHOTOSESSION
- 20.03.2018Azerbaijanis celebrate Last Tuesday of Novruz Holiday
- 19.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev presented tickets to world championships on judo and cycling
- 19.03.2018Baku hosts seminar on media’s role and duties in presidential elections
- 19.03.2018Weather forecast for March 20-24
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan declares vacations in schools from March 20 due to Novruz holiday
- 17.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev awards Ali bey Huseynzade’s daughter “Dostlug” Order
- 17.03.2018Monument to victims of genocide committed by Armenia erected in Guba
- 16.03.2018AZN 4mln allocated for construction of modular schools in four districts
- 16.03.2018South Caucasus’s most ancient jewelry item exhibited at Heydar Aliyev Center
- 16.03.2018State Migration Service employees granted high special ranks
- 16.03.2018State Committee: Turkish MP whose health suddenly deteriorated during Baku forum is in stable condition
- 16.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev congratulates Azerbaijani people on Novruz holiday
- 16.03.2018Turkish MP suffers heart attack while speaking at Global Baku Forum
- 16.03.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 15.03.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov receives citizens in Salyan
- 15.03.2018Real TV starts satellite broadcasting
- 15.03.2018Nizami Ganjavi International Award presented to First VP Mehriban Aliyeva
- 14.03.2018Azerbaijan fines Qatari national for illegal hunting
- 14.03.2018Azerbaijani SEC announces competition for 24 vacancies in 7 state bodies
- 13.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev approves composition of Youth Foundation’s Supervisory Board
- 13.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev approves funding for purchase of apartments for Karabakh war disabled, families of martyrs
- 13.03.2018New executive director of Azerbaijan Youth Foundation appointed
- 13.03.2018Azerbaijanis celebrate Wind Tuesday of Novruz Holiday
- 12.03.2018Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Salyan
- 10.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev approves funding for construction of carpet factory in Sabunchu
- 09.03.2018Real TV will start satellite broadcasting on March 12
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijani president ups salaries of State Security Service employees
- 08.03.2018Azerbaijan defines new procedure for financing education abroad
- 08.03.2018Azerbaijan marks International Women’s Day
- 07.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev orders increasing salaries of employees of Emergency Situations Ministry
- 07.03.2018Azerbaijan to hold first stage of final exam for 9th graders on March 11
- 07.03.2018About 2,700 Azerbaijani citizens study in Georgian universities
- 07.03.2018UNICEF: 12 million girls a year become child brides
- 06.03.2018Mexican ambassador visits Goychay
- 06.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on group of women
- 06.03.2018First VP Mehriban Aliyeva attends opening of new building of sanatorium-type orphanage-kindergarten in Mashtagha settlement
- 06.03.2018UNICEF: Incidence of early marriages reduced to almost zero in Azerbaijan
- 02.10.201728% of Azerbaijani women believe men have the right to beat their wives
- 02.10.2017No cases of harm to minors at religious ceremonies in Azerbaijan: State Committee
- 02.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev viewed Safari Park Shamakhi
- 02.10.2017Azerbaijan presents report at Asian Conference on Disaster Reduction
- 02.10.2017UNICEF: 4-month paid maternity leave in Azerbaijan 'insufficient'
- 02.10.2017President Ilham Aliyev arrives in Shamakhi district for visit