Seismic activity in Caspian Sea causes cracks in oil and gas fields: chief seismologist
The seismic activity in the Caspian Sea is causing cracks in oil and gas fields, Gurban Yetirmishli, director of the Republic Seismic Survey Center of Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences, told a press conference on Thursday, APA reported.
He noted that there are potentially powerful earthquake focuses in the oil- and gas-rich Caspian Sea.
According to him, the Caspian Sea is rife with both mud volcanoes and earthquake focuses.
“The earthquake focuses are found in the Caspian Sea from its north all the way to its south, which stems from depth cracks,” he added.
The chief seismologist said there are no seabed seismic stations in the Caspian Sea.
“Although three such seabed stations were purchased, it has not been possible to install them so far. Locations for them have been pinpointed but they have not been installed yet due to certain difficulties,” Yetirmishli said, adding. “We’re hopeful that this problem will be solved in the near future. Negotiations in this respect are ongoing with foreign experts. It is possible to complete these works within any grant project. It is very important for us.”
According to him, the study of depth structure of seabed, identification of its potential, tomography, risk assessment in setting up communication lines and seismic micro-zoning are of great importance.
Yetirmishli went on to say that seismic activity in any earthquake focus unintentionally affects the Gunashli, Azeri and Chirag oil and gas fields.
“The seismic activity in the Caspian Sea is causing cracks in oil and gas fields. Oil will flow in any direction if there are crack within the oil field,” he said.
Related news releases
- 23.04.2018Jeyhun Bayramov relieved of his duties as Deputy Minister of Education
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani President issues order on allocation of lump-sum financial aid to WW II veterans
- 20.04.2018F1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix: Two hospitals will render medical services to participants, guests
- 20.04.2018Owners of 6 houses damaged in Baku landslide zone receive financial aid
- 20.04.2018Non-smoking area in Baku Metro expanded
- 20.04.2018Baku hosts conference on exposure of Armenian falsifications
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani ombudsperson: Housing market prices are not suitable for low-income families
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan may prosecute those failing to pay unemployment insurance and compulsory social insurance
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani ombudsperson: Legal regulation needed for use of social networks
- 19.04.2018Health Ministry: Anemia, kidney and heart diseases widespread among pregnant women in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.201837,618 abortion cases recorded in Azerbaijan in 2017
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijan reveals number of maternal deaths registered in 1Q 2018
- 19.04.2018Early marriages reported not only among Azerbaijanis living in Georgia: UNFPA study
- 19.04.2018Kamaladdin Heydarov meets with IAEA chief
- 19.04.2018President Ilham Aliyev signs decree to improve social protection of families of servicemen killed in military ops
- 18.04.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani citizens’ living standards will increase in coming years
- 18.04.2018Dust from Arabian Peninsula to reach Azerbaijan
- 18.04.20184th OIC Conference of Youth and Sports Ministers kicks off in Baku
- 18.04.2018Belarus may deliver Polonaise multiple rocket launch systems to Azerbaijan: Russian paper
- 18.04.2018Traffic to be restricted in Baku for 2018 F1 Azerbaijan Grand Prix
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijani SEC: Results of final exams may remain valid for two years
- 16.04.2018Amount of financial assistance for owners of damaged houses in Baku landslide zone determined
- 10.04.2018Strong geomagnetic storm expected in coming days
- 10.04.2018Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 10.04.2018Azerbaijan’s Health Ministry announces average life expectancy
- 10.04.2018Azerbaijan, India discuss cooperation in education
- 09.04.2018AZN 3mln allocated to Youth Foundation
- 09.04.2018Azerbaijan declares March 27 as ‘Science Day’
- 07.04.2018Temperature to be 20 C in Baku tomorrow
- 07.04.2018Ministry of Ecology and Natural Resources: Process of flooding intensified in Baku
- 06.04.2018Requirements concerning specially designated smoking areas specified in Azerbaijan
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijan defining rules for organizing social workplaces
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijan defining cases of involvement in forced labor
- 06.04.2018Azerbaijan may create vacancy bank for unemployed
- 05.04.2018Number of Azerbaijani citizens imprisoned in Georgia revealed
- 04.04.2018Azerbaijan’s Pardon Issues Commission holds another meeting
- 04.04.2018Construction of houses in Bayil landslide zone prohibited, deputy PM says
- 04.04.2018Residents of six collapsed houses in Bayil landslide zone to receive compensation within 10 days
- 04.04.2018Azerbaijani gov’t plans to relocate 97 families from landslide zone in Baku
- 04.04.2018Deputy PM explains reason behind removal of flagpole in Baku Flag Square
- 10.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of new service center at branch of Post Office No.1 in Baku
- 10.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev views conditions created at administrative building of Azerbaijan Railways CJSC
- 10.02.2017Azerbaijan deports 16 Arab tourists for violating hunting rules
- 09.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets family of National Hero Chingiz Gurbanov
- 08.02.2017Azerbaijani gov’t takes necessary steps to prevent further price hike – deputy PM
- 08.02.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official charged with embezzlement