Seismic activity in Caspian Sea causes cracks in oil and gas fields: chief seismologist
The seismic activity in the Caspian Sea is causing cracks in oil and gas fields, Gurban Yetirmishli, director of the Republic Seismic Survey Center of Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences, told a press conference on Thursday, APA reported.
He noted that there are potentially powerful earthquake focuses in the oil- and gas-rich Caspian Sea.
According to him, the Caspian Sea is rife with both mud volcanoes and earthquake focuses.
“The earthquake focuses are found in the Caspian Sea from its north all the way to its south, which stems from depth cracks,” he added.
The chief seismologist said there are no seabed seismic stations in the Caspian Sea.
“Although three such seabed stations were purchased, it has not been possible to install them so far. Locations for them have been pinpointed but they have not been installed yet due to certain difficulties,” Yetirmishli said, adding. “We’re hopeful that this problem will be solved in the near future. Negotiations in this respect are ongoing with foreign experts. It is possible to complete these works within any grant project. It is very important for us.”
According to him, the study of depth structure of seabed, identification of its potential, tomography, risk assessment in setting up communication lines and seismic micro-zoning are of great importance.
Yetirmishli went on to say that seismic activity in any earthquake focus unintentionally affects the Gunashli, Azeri and Chirag oil and gas fields.
“The seismic activity in the Caspian Sea is causing cracks in oil and gas fields. Oil will flow in any direction if there are crack within the oil field,” he said.
Related news releases
- 23.03.2017Changeable cloudy and dry weather predicted in Baku
- 22.03.2017Changeable cloudy weather to prevail in Baku
- 20.03.2017Azercell supports international event in Baku
- 20.03.2017Spring comes to Azerbaijan
- 18.03.2017Commission for the Regulation and Coordination of Labor Relations established in Azerbaijan
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani court pronounces verdict against former navy chief
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan to apply writing tasks for college admission for first time
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani Emergencies Ministry to work on enhanced mode during holiday
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan completes execution of president’s pardon order
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan extends deadline for document admission to master’s degree and residency
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani MP’s nephew charged with swindle released in courtroom
- 17.03.2017Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Aghdash
- 17.03.2017Albanian president awarded title of honorary doctor of Azerbaijan University of Languages
- 17.03.201714 female inmates pardoned Azerbaijan's president
- 17.03.2017Pardon order: 40 inmates released from Correctional Facility No. 13
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijan starts execution of presidential order on pardon
- 16.03.2017Rector appointed to Baku Engineering University
- 16.03.2017Number of Azerbaijani population announced
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijani MES: Project for 1st micro-district to cover more areas in case it proves successful
- 15.03.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry's ex-official
- 14.03.2017Two-time European karate champion standing trial on drug charges
- 14.03.2017Dust clouds over Turkmenistan to hit Azerbaijan
- 14.03.2017Hearing in case of former MNS generals postponed
- 14.03.2017Supreme Court considers IBA ex-chairman’s appeal
- 14.03.2017Azerbaijani court rejects appeal of former OMON members
- 14.03.2017Azerbaijan celebrates Last Tuesday of Novruz Holiday
- 13.03.2017Alexander Lapshin meets lawyer
- 13.03.2017Dust storm from Arabian Desert hits Baku
- 13.03.2017Minister Kemaleddin Heydarov receives citizens in Aghdash
- 13.03.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial postponed
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijani parliament to discuss bill prohibiting smoking in public places
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan announce dates of entrance exams for master’s degree
- 10.03.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official postponed
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan announces admission to masters degree
- 09.03.2017Former MNS employees plead not guilty - UPDATED
- 09.03.2017First VP Mehriban Aliyeva: Main goal is to provide 4,000 IDP families with apartments in Baku and Sumgayit
- 09.03.2017US ambassador begins trip to Azerbaijan’s southern region
- 08.03.2017Today marks International Women’s Day
- 07.03.2017Polluted environments kill 1.7 million children each year: WHO
- 06.03.2017Tariff Council determines exam entry fees - LIST
- 10.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of new service center at branch of Post Office No.1 in Baku
- 10.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev views conditions created at administrative building of Azerbaijan Railways CJSC
- 10.02.2017Azerbaijan deports 16 Arab tourists for violating hunting rules
- 09.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets family of National Hero Chingiz Gurbanov
- 08.02.2017Azerbaijani gov’t takes necessary steps to prevent further price hike – deputy PM
- 08.02.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official charged with embezzlement