Seismic activity in Caspian Sea causes cracks in oil and gas fields: chief seismologist
The seismic activity in the Caspian Sea is causing cracks in oil and gas fields, Gurban Yetirmishli, director of the Republic Seismic Survey Center of Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences, told a press conference on Thursday, APA reported.
He noted that there are potentially powerful earthquake focuses in the oil- and gas-rich Caspian Sea.
According to him, the Caspian Sea is rife with both mud volcanoes and earthquake focuses.
“The earthquake focuses are found in the Caspian Sea from its north all the way to its south, which stems from depth cracks,” he added.
The chief seismologist said there are no seabed seismic stations in the Caspian Sea.
“Although three such seabed stations were purchased, it has not been possible to install them so far. Locations for them have been pinpointed but they have not been installed yet due to certain difficulties,” Yetirmishli said, adding. “We’re hopeful that this problem will be solved in the near future. Negotiations in this respect are ongoing with foreign experts. It is possible to complete these works within any grant project. It is very important for us.”
According to him, the study of depth structure of seabed, identification of its potential, tomography, risk assessment in setting up communication lines and seismic micro-zoning are of great importance.
Yetirmishli went on to say that seismic activity in any earthquake focus unintentionally affects the Gunashli, Azeri and Chirag oil and gas fields.
“The seismic activity in the Caspian Sea is causing cracks in oil and gas fields. Oil will flow in any direction if there are crack within the oil field,” he said.
Related news releases
- 23.02.2018Azerbaijani president orders increasing social allowances
- 23.02.2018Allowance for women with more than 5 children increased in Azerbaijan
- 23.02.2018Committee chairman: Nationalization of surnames hotly debated issue in Azerbaijan
- 23.02.2018Deputy PM: 97 families evacuated from landslide zone on Bayil slope
- 23.02.2018U.S. helps people with disabilities receive free legal aid
- 23.02.2018Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Lankaran
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijani president's personal pension increased by AZN150
- 22.02.2018Monthly stipend for young talents increased by 100 manats
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijani president increases monthly scholarship for honorary titles
- 22.02.2018Collegium of Advocates to be provided with new building
- 22.02.2018Prosecutor asks court to strip MNS generals of their ranks
- 22.02.2018Prosecutor seeks 16 years for Subahir Gurbanov and Teymur Guliyev - UPDATED
- 22.02.2018International organizations praise anti-corruption measures in Azerbaijan
- 22.02.2018Ministry of Education announces results of student transfer
- 22.02.2018First-grade admission gets started in Baku
- 22.02.2018Requirements for construction of buildings erected in place of emergency structures in nine districts of Baku changed
- 21.02.2018Azerbaijan to mark 110th anniversary of academician Musa Aliyev
- 21.02.2018President Ilham Aliyev orders increasing unified monthly allowance for IDPs
- 21.02.2018U.S. ambassador visits school built for IDPs in Baku
- 21.02.2018New specialties created in the master's degree in Azerbaijan
- 20.02.2018Presidential pension for Azerbaijan’s national heroes increases
- 20.02.2018Ilham Aliyev orders increasing presidential pension for Great Patriotic War veterans
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani president appoints members of Civil Service Management Board
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijani court commences hearing on Afgan Mukhtarli’s appeal
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan starts relocating IDP families to new settlement in Tartar
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan specifies what medications caused severe poisoning
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan imports most medicines from Europe – Health Ministry
- 20.02.2018Guba-Khinalig road reopened after avalanche
- 19.02.2018Pension for 20 January disabled increased by 10%
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani president increases monthly pension for citizens disabled in war
- 19.02.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss bill on state fingerprinting and genome registration
- 17.02.2018Baku awaits rainy weather on Sunday
- 16.02.2018Azerbaijan detains 26 foreigners in anti-migration op
- 16.02.2018Italian architects prepared project for Yanardagh complex construction – envoy
- 16.02.2018Baku to host Italian Design Day
- 16.02.2018Baku awaits rainy weather on Saturday
- 16.02.2018Georgian education minister to visit Azerbaijan
- 16.02.2018ASAN and ABAD very good Azerbaijani brands: EU envoy
- 16.02.2018Cabinet of Ministers: Families relocated from Bayil landslide area to be given rental money
- 15.02.2018Azerbaijan discloses non-working days in March 2018
- 10.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of new service center at branch of Post Office No.1 in Baku
- 10.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev views conditions created at administrative building of Azerbaijan Railways CJSC
- 10.02.2017Azerbaijan deports 16 Arab tourists for violating hunting rules
- 09.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets family of National Hero Chingiz Gurbanov
- 08.02.2017Azerbaijani gov’t takes necessary steps to prevent further price hike – deputy PM
- 08.02.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official charged with embezzlement