Seismic activity in Caspian Sea causes cracks in oil and gas fields: chief seismologist
The seismic activity in the Caspian Sea is causing cracks in oil and gas fields, Gurban Yetirmishli, director of the Republic Seismic Survey Center of Azerbaijan National Academy of Sciences, told a press conference on Thursday, APA reported.
He noted that there are potentially powerful earthquake focuses in the oil- and gas-rich Caspian Sea.
According to him, the Caspian Sea is rife with both mud volcanoes and earthquake focuses.
“The earthquake focuses are found in the Caspian Sea from its north all the way to its south, which stems from depth cracks,” he added.
The chief seismologist said there are no seabed seismic stations in the Caspian Sea.
“Although three such seabed stations were purchased, it has not been possible to install them so far. Locations for them have been pinpointed but they have not been installed yet due to certain difficulties,” Yetirmishli said, adding. “We’re hopeful that this problem will be solved in the near future. Negotiations in this respect are ongoing with foreign experts. It is possible to complete these works within any grant project. It is very important for us.”
According to him, the study of depth structure of seabed, identification of its potential, tomography, risk assessment in setting up communication lines and seismic micro-zoning are of great importance.
Yetirmishli went on to say that seismic activity in any earthquake focus unintentionally affects the Gunashli, Azeri and Chirag oil and gas fields.
“The seismic activity in the Caspian Sea is causing cracks in oil and gas fields. Oil will flow in any direction if there are crack within the oil field,” he said.
Related news releases
- 21.11.2017Dust quantity in Baku and Absheron Peninsula exceeds sanitary norm
- 20.11.2017World conflicts hinder mankind from achieving SDGs – UNICEF
- 20.11.2017UNICEF: Level of children’s education in Azerbaijan exceeds 95 percent
- 20.11.2017Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov to receive citizens in Zardab district
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijan to have five-day holiday for New Year
- 18.11.2017Fatal traffic accident kills 1 police, injures another in Azerbaijan
- 18.11.2017Changeable cloudy weather to prevail in Baku
- 18.11.2017Landslide activity observed in Baku’s Zigh settlement
- 17.11.2017Another quake hits Azerbaijan
- 17.11.2017Private and municipal vocational education institutions to be established in Azerbaijan
- 17.11.2017ANAS: Land plots, scientific facilities seized over last 5 years returned
- 16.11.2017Kamaladdin Heydarov meets Moldovan interior minister
- 16.11.2017U.S. ambassador to Azerbaijan visits ABAD trade & exhibition center
- 16.11.2017APA celebrates 13th anniversary - PHOTOSESSION
- 16.11.2017Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijan known in world as sporting nation
- 16.11.2017Number of Azerbaijan population announced
- 16.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev inaugurates newly-built school in Masazir
- 16.11.2017ANAS: Yesterday’s quake in Azerbaijan had nothing to do with recent quake in Iran
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan establishes organizing committee for Baku BMX World Championships 2018
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan to mark 110th jubilee of academician Ashraf Huseynov
- 15.11.2017U.S. ambassador visits Salyan American Corner
- 15.11.2017Deloitte Azerbaijan introduces new publication - ®
- 15.11.2017Compulsory health insurance can be applied throughout Azerbaijan in 2018 – deputy minister
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan developing state program to repatriate its citizens in Iraq, Syria
- 15.11.2017Deputy Minister reacts to US State Department advising its citizens not to undergo surgery in Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2017Baku State University’s 100th anniversary to be marked at state level
- 14.11.2017London, a city where you can see Sun, rain and Queen at the same time
- 14.11.2017EBU says Karabakh separatists’ flag to be prevented from being raised at 2017 Junior Eurovision
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani police warn drivers over use of darks films, blinds on car windows
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijan’s Consulate General commemorates Holocaust in Los Angeles
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijan International Environmental Exhibition kicks off
- 13.11.2017New staff of State Language Commission approved
- 13.11.2017Javid Gurbanov awarded title of “Honored Engineer”
- 13.11.2017Sports Palace to be built in Ganja city
- 13.11.2017Azerbaijani delegation led by Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov attends Dubai Airshow 2017
- 13.11.2017Azerbaijani ombudsperson: Talks on creation of production units in prisons bring no results
- 13.11.2017ANAS: Strong earthquake on Iran-Iraq border unlikely to affect Azerbaijan
- 10.11.2017Azerbaijani president: Unsettled issues will be resolved in coming years
- 10.11.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of culture and recreation park named after Aziz Aliyev in Ganja
- 10.11.2017Newly-built dormitory of Azerbaijan State Agrarian University inaugurated
- 10.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends opening of new service center at branch of Post Office No.1 in Baku
- 10.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev views conditions created at administrative building of Azerbaijan Railways CJSC
- 10.02.2017Azerbaijan deports 16 Arab tourists for violating hunting rules
- 09.02.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets family of National Hero Chingiz Gurbanov
- 08.02.2017Azerbaijani gov’t takes necessary steps to prevent further price hike – deputy PM
- 08.02.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official charged with embezzlement