Vusala Mahirgizi: Online media plays special role in ensuring Azerbaijan’s information and national security
Online media plays a special role in ensuring information and national security in Azerbaijan, President of APA Holding Vusala Mahirgizi said addressing the 7th Congress of Azerbaijani Journalists in Baku on March 10, APA reports.
Mahirgizi hailed online media’s special role in shaping public opinion.
She noted that the advertising market is experiencing a serious decline as a result of the global economic crisis.
“Online media consists not only of websites known to you. This should have a serious basic infrastructure, because online media clearly plays a special role in ensuring information and national security,” the APA Holding president said.
According to Mahirgizi, representatives of online media also protect the virtual borders of Azerbaijan.
“Today, countries are made up of both real and virtual societies. We [online media] are defenders of a virtual society. For this reason, there is a need for a very strong media infrastructure and technical support. And this requires a very large amount of money,” she said.
The APA Holding president backed Press Council Chairman Aflatun Amashov’s proposal to provide state support for online media. “Online media needs serious state support. The Azerbaijani state did not undertake to support independent media. This of course is our request,” she added.
She also stressed the importance of providing support in the placement of servers of local media outlets inside the country.
Mahirgizi also supported the Press Council chairman’s proposal to appeal to the country’s president for imprisoned journalists to be pardoned.
The APA Holding president also touched upon the issue of a single media card.
“I think that the Press Council should take this issue seriously, this matter must be implemented in the form of a serious certification. Naturally, it will be wrong to issue a card to each member. In some countries, these cards are issued only to certain persons in each edition. This question must find its solution. The "yellow cards" issued by the Press Council should be considered high accreditation cards,” she added.
Mahirgizi, as a member of the Board of the Press Council, thanked the participants of the congress for the value given by them to the Press Council.
Related news releases
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss amendments to rules on sponsorship advertising in media - UPDATED
- 20.04.2018Press Council chairman criticizes ombudsperson’s activity
- 20.04.2018Bulgarian diplomats visit APA Holding
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijani parliamentary committee discusses amendments to law on public broadcasting
- 16.04.2018APA TV’s YouTube channel hits 150,000 subscribers
- 30.03.2018Rahim Namazov shot in France is not a journalist: Azerbaijani Press Council
- 10.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani media should keep national interests above all
- 10.03.20187th Congress of Azerbaijani Journalists kicks off
- 05.03.2018Real TV gets indefinite license for satellite broadcasting
- 05.03.2018APAsport Agency celebrates 11th anniversary
- 05.02.20187th Congress of Azerbaijani journalists to be held on March 10
- 01.02.2018MP Aflatun Amashov proposes changing legal status of Press Council
- 31.01.2018ANAS president: ANS vacating building of Institute of Zoology
- 31.01.2018Azerbaijani NTRC orders radio programs be monitored for shortcomings
- 30.01.2018NTRC makes decision on distributing AZN 3M among 5 TV channels
- 30.01.2018Keys to new apartments presented to journalists
- 30.01.2018Ali Hasanov: It’s wrong to compare foreign grants with Azerbaijani president’s support to media
- 23.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Criticism over lack of press freedom in Azerbaijan ‘groundless’
- 19.01.2018AZN 3M allocated by Azerbaijani president to be evenly distributed among 5 private TV channels
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 3M to TV and radio broadcasters
- 30.12.2017APA launches Telegram bot
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan NTRC announces winner of competition for launch of new TV channel
- 21.12.2017Interfax-Azerbaijan director general dies aged 67
- 19.12.2017President İlham Aliyev signs decree to ensure AZERTAC`s activity
- 19.12.2017Court upholds Turan news agency’s claim against Baku Local Revenues Department
- 30.11.2017APA – main source of information about Azerbaijan for Georgian media
- 23.11.2017Famous Azerbaijani journalist passed away
- 16.11.2017APA now available on Facebook Messenger
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijan to impose new fines for violation of rules for dissemination of info on Internet
- 16.11.2017APA Information Agency celebrates 13th anniversary
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan Public Television and Radio Broadcasting Company sends letter to EBU
- 14.11.2017New director general of CBC TV channel appointed
- 14.11.2017NTRC to hold competition for creation of new TV channel
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijani Press Council chairman speaks out against glorification of criminals in media
- 02.11.2017OSCE welcomes dropping of criminal charges against Mehman Aliyev and Turan News Agency
- 31.10.2017APA Holding president visited IRNA News Agency
- 31.10.2017APA Holding president gives interview to Iran’s Sahar TV channel
- 31.10.2017APA Holding, ISNA Agency sign cooperation agreement
- 31.10.2017Vusala Mahirgizi: We expect Iranian media to disseminate authentic information about Karabakh conflict
- 31.10.2017APA Holding president meets with chairman of Iranian West Azerbaijan Province’s Press House
- 10.03.2018Aflatun Amashov reelected chairman of Azerbaijani Press Council
- 10.03.2018Ali Hasanov: People who fled Azerbaijan insults country’s symbols
- 16.03.2018Vesti.az information agency celebrating 9th anniversary
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijani journalists must fight those opposing state and its symbols: professor
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijani Press Council’s chairman hails state support for media
- 10.03.2018Charter of Azerbaijani Press Council amended