Press Council: Mehman Aliyev’s release another example of Azerbaijani president’s sensitive attitude towards media
The release of director of Turan News Agency Mehman Aliyev from prison is another vivid example of President Ilham Aliyev’s sensitive approach towards the media, Press Council chairman Aflatun Amashov told APA.
Today, the Baku City Yasamal district court changed the measure of restraint in respect of Director of Turan News Agency Mehman Aliyev, his lawyer Fuad Aghayev told APA.
Mehman Aliyev was released from custody and placed under house arrest upon his recognizance not to leave the country.
“We [Press Council] have always believed in this and were sure that the case would be investigated fairly under the president’s instructions, and a humane step would be taken in relation to Mehman Aliyev.
The fact that President Ilham Aliyev is the guarantor of freedom of speech and expression in Azerbaijan is an undeniable reality, stressed Amashov. “Of course, the issue concerning Mehman Aliyev will be investigated. However, we believe that his release is an important condition. This is the president’s attitude towards the media.
Therefore, we express our deepest gratitude to Ilham Aliyev for his sensitive approach to the appeal of the Press Council regarding Mehman Aliyev,” he said.
President Ilham Aliyev noted in his speech that some kind of moratorium was recorded in connection with the arrests of journalists in Azerbaijan, said Amashov.
According to him, in this case, representatives of the media should direct their activities to deepen freedom of speech and expressed in the society.
“Freedom of speech and information is the highest democratic values. Therefore, media workers are not held criminally responsible for their professional activities. This is the president’s will, and he expressed his opinion on this matter back in 2009,” said Amashov, recalling that the president showed his sensitive attitude to the media when the editor-in-chief of Tazadlar newspaper, Asif Marzili, was arrested several years ago.
Related news releases
- 05.02.20187th Congress of Azerbaijani journalists to be held on March 10
- 01.02.2018MP Aflatun Amashov proposes changing legal status of Press Council
- 31.01.2018ANAS president: ANS vacating building of Institute of Zoology
- 31.01.2018Azerbaijani NTRC orders radio programs be monitored for shortcomings
- 30.01.2018NTRC makes decision on distributing AZN 3M among 5 TV channels
- 30.01.2018Keys to new apartments presented to journalists
- 30.01.2018Ali Hasanov: It’s wrong to compare foreign grants with Azerbaijani president’s support to media
- 23.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Criticism over lack of press freedom in Azerbaijan ‘groundless’
- 19.01.2018AZN 3M allocated by Azerbaijani president to be evenly distributed among 5 private TV channels
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 3M to TV and radio broadcasters
- 30.12.2017APA launches Telegram bot
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan NTRC announces winner of competition for launch of new TV channel
- 21.12.2017Interfax-Azerbaijan director general dies aged 67
- 19.12.2017President İlham Aliyev signs decree to ensure AZERTAC`s activity
- 19.12.2017Court upholds Turan news agency’s claim against Baku Local Revenues Department
- 30.11.2017APA – main source of information about Azerbaijan for Georgian media
- 23.11.2017Famous Azerbaijani journalist passed away
- 16.11.2017APA now available on Facebook Messenger
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijan to impose new fines for violation of rules for dissemination of info on Internet
- 16.11.2017APA Information Agency celebrates 13th anniversary
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan Public Television and Radio Broadcasting Company sends letter to EBU
- 14.11.2017New director general of CBC TV channel appointed
- 14.11.2017NTRC to hold competition for creation of new TV channel
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijani Press Council chairman speaks out against glorification of criminals in media
- 02.11.2017OSCE welcomes dropping of criminal charges against Mehman Aliyev and Turan News Agency
- 31.10.2017APA Holding president visited IRNA News Agency
- 31.10.2017APA Holding president gives interview to Iran’s Sahar TV channel
- 31.10.2017APA Holding, ISNA Agency sign cooperation agreement
- 31.10.2017Vusala Mahirgizi: We expect Iranian media to disseminate authentic information about Karabakh conflict
- 31.10.2017APA Holding president meets with chairman of Iranian West Azerbaijan Province’s Press House
- 30.10.2017APA Holding and Iranian Huneronline sign cooperation agreement
- 30.10.2017President of APA Holding addresses media conference in Tehran
- 30.10.2017APA Holding and Iran’s Nasle Farda sign cooperation agreement
- 28.10.2017Vusala Mahirgizi meets with heads of Iranian news agencies
- 28.10.2017APA Holding president meets with director general of Iranian Culture and Islamic Guidance Ministry’s Foreign Media Department
- 28.10.201723rd Int’l Press Exhibition officially inaugurated in Tehran
- 20.10.2017NTRC grants satellite broadcast license to one TV channel, IP TV broadcast to 10 companies
- 07.10.2017Press Council holds monitoring at rally
- 06.10.2017Ali Hasanov: Turkish TV series were resulting in Turkish language outdoing Azerbaijani
- 06.10.2017Ali Hasanov: Thankfully, that TV channel no longer exists
- 11.09.2017OSCE welcomes release of Mehman Aliyev
- 13.09.2017Eastern Partnership Media Conference kicks off in Kyiv
- 16.09.2017Ministry of Taxes lifts tax sanction against Turan agency
- 25.08.2017Azerbaijani Press Council appeals to president regarding Mehman Aliyev
- 07.08.2017‘Lent.az’ journalist visits North Korea
- 22.07.2017Ali Hasanov: President had deep impressions of meeting with journalists