President: Number of false, unbiased pieces of information dramatically increased in Azerbaijani media
As in every country, journalism should reflect the truth in Azerbaijan, the country’s president, Ilham Aliyev, said at the ceremony of presenting apartments to journalists in a newly built building in Baku on the occasion of the National Press Day, APA reported.
“You too know that there is a need to talk about it on a global scale as it is not always so. We see that information campaigns of both external and internal nature are being carried out in many countries across the globe for certain purposes which are often falsely considered to be more important than the truth. Therefore, the principle of truth must be held the highest in journalism,” the president said.
President Aliyev stressed that the number of unverified and biased information in the Azerbaijani media has dropped dramatically.
"Society sees this. So do journalists. Of course, this is possible thanks to the activities of journalists. This, first of all, was the result of the increased responsibility of journalists,” the president said. “At the same time, every media outlet understands that it is possible to lie once, twice, or three times, and then no one will believe in that press. Therefore, the establishment of the principle of truth in journalism is, of course, remarkable and I believe that in recent years there has been a positive trend in this direction in Azerbaijan.”
According to him, journalism should be as objective as possible.
"It is difficult to achieve full objectivity. Everyone, of course, tends to be subjective at times and journalists are no exception. But journalists have a greater responsibility. What they write may hurt some, create problems, or solve problems. So I ask you to pay greater attention to issues of responsibility in journalism. This is a process that goes in parallel with reality and objectivity,” he added.
The head of state said that in recent years journalism in Azerbaijan has been more responsible and more cautious in this direction.
"In this respect, our journalists are ahead of some so-called politicians. I think that the ongoing reforms in our journalism in this direction will continue. We are well aware of the trends in our journalism in the 1990s. At that time we faced a very sad situation. That is, there were increasing lies, insults, and slanders in some media outlets, but now both our society and our journalism have developed. Today our journalists are highly responsible,” President Aliyev said.
Related news releases
- 21.09.2017Iranian ambassador to Azerbaijan visits APA Holding
- 19.09.2017Prosecutor General’s Office: No restrictive measures against Turan Information Agency
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani Ministry of Taxes re-imposes tax sanction on Turan news agency
- 16.09.2017Ministry of Taxes lifts tax sanction against Turan agency
- 13.09.2017Eastern Partnership Media Conference kicks off in Kyiv
- 11.09.2017OSCE welcomes release of Mehman Aliyev
- 11.09.2017Press Council: Mehman Aliyev’s release another example of Azerbaijani president’s sensitive attitude towards media
- 25.08.2017Azerbaijani Press Council appeals to president regarding Mehman Aliyev
- 20.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends inauguration of second building for journalists
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani president allocates lump sum financial assistance to local newspapers
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 5 million for construction of new building for journalists
- 19.07.2017APA Holding, Code Academy sign agreement on strategic cooperation
- 18.07.2017Vugar Safarli: Third building meant for journalists too will have 255 apartments
- 14.07.2017Groundbreaking ceremony of third building for journalists in Azerbaijan to take place on July 21
- 11.07.2017Delegation led by Iranian deputy minister visits APA Holding
- 13.06.2017Vugar Safarli re-appointed executive director of Fund of State Support for Mass Media Development
- 05.06.2017Members appointed at Supervisory Board of Fund of State Support for Development of Mass Media
- 05.06.2017APA Holding unveils redesigned website
- 31.05.2017Heads of media outlets visit Nakhchivan
- 29.05.2017APA TV marks its 4th birthday
- 26.05.2017APA Holding, ASAN radio sign MoU for cooperation
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani MP says necessary to create conditions for cable broadcasting of internet TV channels
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani MP calls for strict punishment for violation of law on internet TV channels
- 16.05.2017Documents required of journalists for new apartments specified
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan announces rules and terms for providing journalists with new apartments
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijani journalists to be given new apartments on 22 July
- 08.05.2017Azerbaijan determines who can own cable networks
- 05.05.20174th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue underway in Baku
- 03.05.2017Azerbaijani embassy in Ukraine addresses Azerbaijani media
- 03.05.2017UK ambassador holds meeting with media representatives
- 02.05.2017Tbilisi hosts media seminar on land degradation neutrality in South Caucasus
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijani court holds hearing over blocking of some websites
- 24.04.2017Candidates for ITV Director General named
- 20.04.2017Journalists suffer violence, intimidation and self-censorship in Europe, says CoE study
- 14.04.2017New members elected to ITV Broadcasting Council
- 07.04.2017Azerbaijan adds new paragraph to Civil Procedure Code’s article on cases considered by courts in separate proceedings
- 05.04.2017Azerbaijan creating conditions for people to file lawsuit for suspension of online information resources
- 05.04.2017New candidates nominated for ITV Broadcasting Council membership
- 16.03.2017Vesti.az information agency marks 8th anniversary
- 10.03.2017MP: Internet space should be regulated to ensure Azerbaijan’s information security
- 22.07.2017Azerbaijan marks 142nd anniversary of national press
- 22.07.2017Ali Hasanov: President had deep impressions of meeting with journalists
- 07.08.2017‘Lent.az’ journalist visits North Korea
- 20.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives “Friend of Journalists” award
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani president: Journalists are my assistants
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Int’l public opinion on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict changed