Over 70 journalists killed worldwide in 2016: report
More than 70 journalists were killed worldwide in 2016, reads an annual reported by Reporters Without Borders (RSF) on Monday.
According to the report, 74 journalists died or were killed in 2016 in the line of duty.
The report also points out that the number of killed journalists this year "is fewer than in 2015, when 101 journalists were killed.
In 2016, a total of 57 professional journalists have been killed, while 21 others died in the world in the line of duty.
In addition, Reporters Without Borders have included citizen journalists, or bloggers (nine killed), in the list for the first time. Apart from bloggers, eight media contributors also lost their lives in 2016, according to the report.
Most journalists died in conflict zones. Syria, where 19 journalists have been killed, is first on the list, followed by 9 in Afghanistan, 8 in Mexico, 7 in Iraq and 8 in Yemen.
On the whole, at least 780 professional journalists have been killed since 2006, according to the report.
Related news releases
- 16.11.2017APA now available on Facebook Messenger
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijan to impose new fines for violation of rules for dissemination of info on Internet
- 16.11.2017APA Information Agency celebrates 13th anniversary
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan Public Television and Radio Broadcasting Company sends letter to EBU
- 14.11.2017New director general of CBC TV channel appointed
- 14.11.2017NTRC to hold competition for creation of new TV channel
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijani Press Council chairman speaks out against glorification of criminals in media
- 02.11.2017OSCE welcomes dropping of criminal charges against Mehman Aliyev and Turan News Agency
- 31.10.2017APA Holding president visited IRNA News Agency
- 31.10.2017APA Holding president gives interview to Iran’s Sahar TV channel
- 31.10.2017APA Holding, ISNA Agency sign cooperation agreement
- 31.10.2017Vusala Mahirgizi: We expect Iranian media to disseminate authentic information about Karabakh conflict
- 31.10.2017APA Holding president meets with chairman of Iranian West Azerbaijan Province’s Press House
- 30.10.2017APA Holding and Iranian Huneronline sign cooperation agreement
- 30.10.2017President of APA Holding addresses media conference in Tehran
- 30.10.2017APA Holding and Iran’s Nasle Farda sign cooperation agreement
- 28.10.2017Vusala Mahirgizi meets with heads of Iranian news agencies
- 28.10.2017APA Holding president meets with director general of Iranian Culture and Islamic Guidance Ministry’s Foreign Media Department
- 28.10.201723rd Int’l Press Exhibition officially inaugurated in Tehran
- 20.10.2017NTRC grants satellite broadcast license to one TV channel, IP TV broadcast to 10 companies
- 07.10.2017Press Council holds monitoring at rally
- 06.10.2017Ali Hasanov: Turkish TV series were resulting in Turkish language outdoing Azerbaijani
- 06.10.2017Ali Hasanov: Thankfully, that TV channel no longer exists
- 30.09.2017No restrictions on activity of Turan news agency: prosecutor general
- 26.09.2017ATV channel president: Programmes are being reviewed
- 26.09.2017ATV channel president dismissed
- 21.09.2017Iranian ambassador to Azerbaijan visits APA Holding
- 19.09.2017Prosecutor General’s Office: No restrictive measures against Turan Information Agency
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani Ministry of Taxes re-imposes tax sanction on Turan news agency
- 16.09.2017Ministry of Taxes lifts tax sanction against Turan agency
- 13.09.2017Eastern Partnership Media Conference kicks off in Kyiv
- 11.09.2017OSCE welcomes release of Mehman Aliyev
- 11.09.2017Press Council: Mehman Aliyev’s release another example of Azerbaijani president’s sensitive attitude towards media
- 25.08.2017Azerbaijani Press Council appeals to president regarding Mehman Aliyev
- 07.08.2017‘Lent.az’ journalist visits North Korea
- 22.07.2017Ali Hasanov: President had deep impressions of meeting with journalists
- 22.07.2017Azerbaijan marks 142nd anniversary of national press
- 20.07.2017President: Number of false, unbiased pieces of information dramatically increased in Azerbaijani media
- 20.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives “Friend of Journalists” award
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani president: Journalists are my assistants
- 20.12.2016Azerbaijan to complete digital TV switchover today
- 30.12.2016NTRC: Contract must be signed with Teleradio PA for broadcast of TRT1 in Azerbaijan
- 30.12.2016No need for new TV channels in Azerbaijan: NTRC
- 14.12.2016Azerbaijan ceases analogue broadcasting in 32 districts
- 12.12.2016Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on TV and radio broadcasting
- 09.12.2016NTRC empowered to issue license to TV, radio broadcasters