Over 70 journalists killed worldwide in 2016: report
More than 70 journalists were killed worldwide in 2016, reads an annual reported by Reporters Without Borders (RSF) on Monday.
According to the report, 74 journalists died or were killed in 2016 in the line of duty.
The report also points out that the number of killed journalists this year "is fewer than in 2015, when 101 journalists were killed.
In 2016, a total of 57 professional journalists have been killed, while 21 others died in the world in the line of duty.
In addition, Reporters Without Borders have included citizen journalists, or bloggers (nine killed), in the list for the first time. Apart from bloggers, eight media contributors also lost their lives in 2016, according to the report.
Most journalists died in conflict zones. Syria, where 19 journalists have been killed, is first on the list, followed by 9 in Afghanistan, 8 in Mexico, 7 in Iraq and 8 in Yemen.
On the whole, at least 780 professional journalists have been killed since 2006, according to the report.
Related news releases
- 01.06.2018Personnel reforms expected in ITV
- 01.06.2018Balakishi Gasimov elected ITV director general
- 30.05.2018Seven candidates submit documents for post of ITV director general
- 29.05.2018APA TV marks 5th anniversary
- 24.05.2018Russia’s St. Petersburg hosts media summit
- 23.05.2018Georgian media representatives visit APA Holding
- 17.05.2018New appointment at Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora
- 16.05.2018Swiss ambassador to Azerbaijan visits APA Holding
- 14.05.2018NTRC: Balakishi Gasimov not elected ITV director general
- 10.05.2018Iranian journalists visit APA Holding
- 08.05.2018Editor-in-chief of Echo newspaper Rauf Talishinsky passes away
- 01.05.2018Presentation held for media project marking centenary of Azerbaijani Democratic Republic
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss amendments to rules on sponsorship advertising in media - UPDATED
- 20.04.2018Press Council chairman criticizes ombudsperson’s activity
- 20.04.2018Bulgarian diplomats visit APA Holding
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijani parliamentary committee discusses amendments to law on public broadcasting
- 16.04.2018APA TV’s YouTube channel hits 150,000 subscribers
- 30.03.2018Rahim Namazov shot in France is not a journalist: Azerbaijani Press Council
- 16.03.2018Vesti.az information agency celebrating 9th anniversary
- 10.03.2018Ali Hasanov: People who fled Azerbaijan insults country’s symbols
- 10.03.2018Aflatun Amashov reelected chairman of Azerbaijani Press Council
- 10.03.2018Vusala Mahirgizi: Online media plays special role in ensuring Azerbaijan’s information and national security
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijani journalists must fight those opposing state and its symbols: professor
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijani Press Council’s chairman hails state support for media
- 10.03.2018Charter of Azerbaijani Press Council amended
- 10.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani media should keep national interests above all
- 10.03.20187th Congress of Azerbaijani Journalists kicks off
- 05.03.2018Real TV gets indefinite license for satellite broadcasting
- 05.03.2018APAsport Agency celebrates 11th anniversary
- 05.02.20187th Congress of Azerbaijani journalists to be held on March 10
- 01.02.2018MP Aflatun Amashov proposes changing legal status of Press Council
- 31.01.2018ANAS president: ANS vacating building of Institute of Zoology
- 31.01.2018Azerbaijani NTRC orders radio programs be monitored for shortcomings
- 30.01.2018NTRC makes decision on distributing AZN 3M among 5 TV channels
- 30.01.2018Keys to new apartments presented to journalists
- 30.01.2018Ali Hasanov: It’s wrong to compare foreign grants with Azerbaijani president’s support to media
- 23.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Criticism over lack of press freedom in Azerbaijan ‘groundless’
- 19.01.2018AZN 3M allocated by Azerbaijani president to be evenly distributed among 5 private TV channels
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 3M to TV and radio broadcasters
- 30.12.2017APA launches Telegram bot
- 20.12.2016Azerbaijan to complete digital TV switchover today
- 30.12.2016NTRC: Contract must be signed with Teleradio PA for broadcast of TRT1 in Azerbaijan
- 30.12.2016No need for new TV channels in Azerbaijan: NTRC
- 14.12.2016Azerbaijan ceases analogue broadcasting in 32 districts
- 12.12.2016Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on TV and radio broadcasting
- 09.12.2016NTRC empowered to issue license to TV, radio broadcasters