OSCE media conference rejects Armenia’s anti-Azerbaijani proposal
Tbilisi. Nizami Mammadzade – APA. The Armenian delegation put forward an anti-Azerbaijani proposal at the 13th OSCE South Caucasus Media Conference “Multi-faceted challenges to free media and freedom of expression” in Tbilisi.
The joint statement on the outcome of the conference was put into discussion on July 7.
The Armenian delegation that took a passive part in the two-day discussions, made a proposal to add to the final document a paragraph condemning the inclusion of journalists in the “blacklist”, APA's Georgia bureau reported.
The Armenian delegation noted that the inclusion of foreign journalists, who illegally visit the occupied Azerbaijani territories, in the list of undesirable persons of Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry is unacceptable.
Speaking at the conference, members of the Azerbaijani delegation stated that the Armenians, with this step, are trying to distract the attention of the conference participants from discussion of the real situation of media in Armenia and cover up serious offenses taking place in their country.
The senior adviser of the Azerbaijani Presidential Administration's department on socio-political issues, Kamran Hasanov, said that the persons regardless of their positions, professional affiliation and status, who show disrespect to the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan and illegally visit the Armenian-occupied territories of Azerbaijan, are included in the list of undesirable persons of Azerbaijan’s Foreign Ministry
“This is not a “black list of journalists” as the Armenian delegation claims, but the list of persons who show disrespect to the territorial integrity of Azerbaijan and therefore are listed as undesirable people. The Armenian delegation’s attempts to distort the essence of the matter and realize their provocative intentions are unacceptable and therefore this proposal should not be taken into account”, said the senior adviser.
Addressing the event, Sarkhan Aghakishiyev, a representative of the Azerbaijani Foreign Ministry’s press service, noted that foreign journalists intending to visit the occupied territories of Azerbaijan for reporting should respect Azerbaijan's territorial integrity, sovereignty and national legislation and obtain appropriate accreditation.
The proposal is unfounded and biased, he said, adding that if this proposal is include in a final statement, the proposal of the Azerbaijani side should also be added to the document.
“The Azerbaijani delegation would agree with this amendment only if the provision envisages journalists’ respecting sovereignty and territorial integrity of the state and observing the rules of accreditation,” he said.
Azerbaijani MPs Aflatun Amashov and Hikmat Mammadov, the chairman of the Central Asian and Southern Caucasian Freedom of Expression Network (CASCFEN), Azer Hasret, the chairman of Journalists' Trade Union of Azerbaijan (JuHI), Mushfig Alasgarli, also called the proposal of the Armenian side groundless.
Following the objections of the Azerbaijani side, the organizers stated that no provision can be included in the final statement without consensus and invited participants to discuss other proposals. This led to the protest of the Armenian delegation and they left the meeting during the discussion of the latest version of the statement.
OSCE Representative on Freedom of the Media Dunja Mijatovic, for her part, said this conference is a platform for discussion of only media-related issues.
Then, the final statement was adopted.
- 05.02.20187th Congress of Azerbaijani journalists to be held on March 10
- 01.02.2018MP Aflatun Amashov proposes changing legal status of Press Council
- 31.01.2018ANAS president: ANS vacating building of Institute of Zoology
- 31.01.2018Azerbaijani NTRC orders radio programs be monitored for shortcomings
- 30.01.2018NTRC makes decision on distributing AZN 3M among 5 TV channels
- 30.01.2018Keys to new apartments presented to journalists
- 30.01.2018Ali Hasanov: It’s wrong to compare foreign grants with Azerbaijani president’s support to media
- 23.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Criticism over lack of press freedom in Azerbaijan ‘groundless’
- 19.01.2018AZN 3M allocated by Azerbaijani president to be evenly distributed among 5 private TV channels
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 3M to TV and radio broadcasters
- 30.12.2017APA launches Telegram bot
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan NTRC announces winner of competition for launch of new TV channel
- 21.12.2017Interfax-Azerbaijan director general dies aged 67
- 19.12.2017President İlham Aliyev signs decree to ensure AZERTAC`s activity
- 19.12.2017Court upholds Turan news agency’s claim against Baku Local Revenues Department
- 30.11.2017APA – main source of information about Azerbaijan for Georgian media
- 23.11.2017Famous Azerbaijani journalist passed away
- 16.11.2017APA now available on Facebook Messenger
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijan to impose new fines for violation of rules for dissemination of info on Internet
- 16.11.2017APA Information Agency celebrates 13th anniversary
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan Public Television and Radio Broadcasting Company sends letter to EBU
- 14.11.2017New director general of CBC TV channel appointed
- 14.11.2017NTRC to hold competition for creation of new TV channel
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijani Press Council chairman speaks out against glorification of criminals in media
- 02.11.2017OSCE welcomes dropping of criminal charges against Mehman Aliyev and Turan News Agency
- 31.10.2017APA Holding president visited IRNA News Agency
- 31.10.2017APA Holding president gives interview to Iran’s Sahar TV channel
- 31.10.2017APA Holding, ISNA Agency sign cooperation agreement
- 31.10.2017Vusala Mahirgizi: We expect Iranian media to disseminate authentic information about Karabakh conflict
- 31.10.2017APA Holding president meets with chairman of Iranian West Azerbaijan Province’s Press House
- 30.10.2017APA Holding and Iranian Huneronline sign cooperation agreement
- 30.10.2017President of APA Holding addresses media conference in Tehran
- 30.10.2017APA Holding and Iran’s Nasle Farda sign cooperation agreement
- 28.10.2017Vusala Mahirgizi meets with heads of Iranian news agencies
- 28.10.2017APA Holding president meets with director general of Iranian Culture and Islamic Guidance Ministry’s Foreign Media Department
- 28.10.201723rd Int’l Press Exhibition officially inaugurated in Tehran
- 20.10.2017NTRC grants satellite broadcast license to one TV channel, IP TV broadcast to 10 companies
- 07.10.2017Press Council holds monitoring at rally
- 06.10.2017Ali Hasanov: Turkish TV series were resulting in Turkish language outdoing Azerbaijani
- 06.10.2017Ali Hasanov: Thankfully, that TV channel no longer exists
- 13.07.2016While you don’t know your weak point, it will be difficult to be stronger - OPINION
- 18.07.2016ANS’s broadcasting stopped
- 18.07.2016National Broadcasting Council releases information on suspension of broadcasting of ANS TV
- 06.07.2016Tbilisi hosts conference on multi-faceted challenges to free media and freedom of expression
- 04.07.201674 journalists killed since beginning of 2016 - report
- 23.06.2016Azerbaijani citizen killed in Russia laid to rest in hometown Lankaran