Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani media should keep national interests above all
Azerbaijan’s President Ilham Aliyev has addressed a congratulatory message to the participants of the 7th Congress of Azerbaijani Journalists.
"After gaining independence in the 1990s, wide opportunities opened up for establishment of free and democratic press in our country," the president said in the message.
The head of state underlined that thanks to the efforts of Azerbaijan's national leader Heydar Aliyev, the artificial barriers that restricted freedom of speech and press were eliminated, a strong legislative base was created for regulating media activities, consistent measures were taken to strengthen the material and technical base of editorial offices, and a foundation was laid for progressive traditions in media-state relations.
"The manifestation of the democratization process in Azerbaijan was the creation of the Press Council, which performs the function of self-regulation of the press, at the first congress of journalists in 2003. This can be regarded as completion of the transition period in relations of the media with the state and society, and the beginning of a qualitatively new stage. Over the past 15 years, the Press Council has made rational proposals related to development of freedom of speech and press in Azerbaijan, improvement of the media activities and strengthening of independence. The Press Council has also made serious efforts in regulating relations between state bodies, citizens and the media, protecting the rights of journalists, increasing their professionalism and eliminating negative phenomena in the media. Today, the Press Council, distinguished by its consistent and purposeful activity, has taken a worthy place among the leading public organizations of Azerbaijan and has won great prestige in the society," the address of the head of state reads.
President Aliyev noted that in the Republic of Azerbaijan, which today enjoys strong economic and financial potential, a comprehensive state support is provided to development of every sphere, including mass media.
"It is no coincidence that influence of national information resources is growing worldwide and its competitiveness is rising. I think that in the modern world, where the global network is expanding and transnational media have a serious impact on the domestic life and international prestige of different countries, Azerbaijani media should be more active and principled, keep our national interests above all, demonstrating high professionalism, and should not spare power and abilities for the progress of our society," President Aliyev said.
"I believe the 7th Congress will turn into an important platform for effective discussions on the current state and prospects of the Azerbaijani press, and important decisions will be made on the future development of our national journalism. In this regard, I wish each of you and all Azerbaijani journalists good health and success to the Congress," the president's message reads.
Related news releases
- 16.03.2018Vesti.az information agency celebrating 9th anniversary
- 10.03.2018Ali Hasanov: People who fled Azerbaijan insults country’s symbols
- 10.03.2018Aflatun Amashov reelected chairman of Azerbaijani Press Council
- 10.03.2018Vusala Mahirgizi: Online media plays special role in ensuring Azerbaijan’s information and national security
- 05.02.20187th Congress of Azerbaijani journalists to be held on March 10
- 01.02.2018MP Aflatun Amashov proposes changing legal status of Press Council
- 31.01.2018ANAS president: ANS vacating building of Institute of Zoology
- 31.01.2018Azerbaijani NTRC orders radio programs be monitored for shortcomings
- 30.01.2018NTRC makes decision on distributing AZN 3M among 5 TV channels
- 30.01.2018Keys to new apartments presented to journalists
- 30.01.2018Ali Hasanov: It’s wrong to compare foreign grants with Azerbaijani president’s support to media
- 23.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Criticism over lack of press freedom in Azerbaijan ‘groundless’
- 19.01.2018AZN 3M allocated by Azerbaijani president to be evenly distributed among 5 private TV channels
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 3M to TV and radio broadcasters
- 30.12.2017APA launches Telegram bot
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan NTRC announces winner of competition for launch of new TV channel
- 21.12.2017Interfax-Azerbaijan director general dies aged 67
- 19.12.2017President İlham Aliyev signs decree to ensure AZERTAC`s activity
- 19.12.2017Court upholds Turan news agency’s claim against Baku Local Revenues Department
- 30.11.2017APA – main source of information about Azerbaijan for Georgian media
- 23.11.2017Famous Azerbaijani journalist passed away
- 16.11.2017APA now available on Facebook Messenger
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijan to impose new fines for violation of rules for dissemination of info on Internet
- 16.11.2017APA Information Agency celebrates 13th anniversary
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan Public Television and Radio Broadcasting Company sends letter to EBU
- 14.11.2017New director general of CBC TV channel appointed
- 14.11.2017NTRC to hold competition for creation of new TV channel
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijani Press Council chairman speaks out against glorification of criminals in media
- 02.11.2017OSCE welcomes dropping of criminal charges against Mehman Aliyev and Turan News Agency
- 31.10.2017APA Holding president visited IRNA News Agency
- 31.10.2017APA Holding president gives interview to Iran’s Sahar TV channel
- 31.10.2017APA Holding, ISNA Agency sign cooperation agreement
- 31.10.2017Vusala Mahirgizi: We expect Iranian media to disseminate authentic information about Karabakh conflict
- 31.10.2017APA Holding president meets with chairman of Iranian West Azerbaijan Province’s Press House
- 30.10.2017APA Holding and Iranian Huneronline sign cooperation agreement
- 30.10.2017President of APA Holding addresses media conference in Tehran
- 30.10.2017APA Holding and Iran’s Nasle Farda sign cooperation agreement
- 28.10.2017Vusala Mahirgizi meets with heads of Iranian news agencies
- 28.10.2017APA Holding president meets with director general of Iranian Culture and Islamic Guidance Ministry’s Foreign Media Department
- 28.10.201723rd Int’l Press Exhibition officially inaugurated in Tehran
- 10.03.2018Charter of Azerbaijani Press Council amended
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijani Press Council’s chairman hails state support for media
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijani journalists must fight those opposing state and its symbols: professor
- 10.03.20187th Congress of Azerbaijani Journalists kicks off
- 05.03.2018Real TV gets indefinite license for satellite broadcasting
- 05.03.2018APAsport Agency celebrates 11th anniversary