Azerbaijani Press Council’s chairman hails state support for media
The number of complaints received by the Azerbaijani Press Council over the past 15 years has exceeded 12,000, said Press Council Chairman Aflatun Amashov.
“Journalists were proved to be right in about 70 percent of the complaints,” Amashov said addressing the 7th Congress of Azerbaijani Journalists on Saturday, APA reports.
He said that the confidence of the society and the state in press councils is the accepted formula in the world.
“That is why some criticize us. Those who criticize the Press Council, mainly accuse us of protecting state officials, standing against journalists. It's a lie,” Amashov said.
He noted that before the establishment of the Press Council, courts were receiving numerous cases related to journalists.
“Over the past 15 years, these problems have been resolved. The Azerbaijani media enjoys support from the state,” he said, further stressing the need to increase the state support for the internet media.
From the economic point of view, the Azerbaijani media went through a significant development path, the material and technical base of the editorial offices was strengthened, Amashov noted.
“At the next stage, media should be aimed at expanding the advertising market. In addition, VAT on imported newsprints and finished printed products does not have a significant impact on the state budget. Therefore, I believe that newsprints and finished printed products should be exempt from VAT," he added.
The Press Council chairman also touched upon the issue of release of imprisoned journalists. “It’s necessary to appeal to the head of state in connection with the release of imprisoned journalists,” he said.
Related news releases
- 18.07.2018MFA spokesman condemns media organizations conducting anti-Azerbaijani campaign
- 18.07.2018Hikmat Hajiyev: Media industry formed in Azerbaijan
- 18.07.2018Number of registered media outlets in Azerbaijan announced
- 16.07.2018Azerbaijani newspapers to receive one-time financial assistance
- 02.07.2018APA Holding Board of Directors holds meeting
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijan NTRC announces date for terrestrial broadcasting of new TV channel
- 27.06.201810th anniversary of "Lent.az" and presentation of book dedicated to 100th anniversary of ADR held in Baku
- 01.06.2018Personnel reforms expected in ITV
- 01.06.2018Balakishi Gasimov elected ITV director general
- 30.05.2018Seven candidates submit documents for post of ITV director general
- 29.05.2018APA TV marks 5th anniversary
- 24.05.2018Russia’s St. Petersburg hosts media summit
- 23.05.2018Georgian media representatives visit APA Holding
- 17.05.2018New appointment at Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora
- 16.05.2018Swiss ambassador to Azerbaijan visits APA Holding
- 14.05.2018NTRC: Balakishi Gasimov not elected ITV director general
- 10.05.2018Iranian journalists visit APA Holding
- 08.05.2018Editor-in-chief of Echo newspaper Rauf Talishinsky passes away
- 01.05.2018Presentation held for media project marking centenary of Azerbaijani Democratic Republic
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss amendments to rules on sponsorship advertising in media - UPDATED
- 20.04.2018Press Council chairman criticizes ombudsperson’s activity
- 20.04.2018Bulgarian diplomats visit APA Holding
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijani parliamentary committee discusses amendments to law on public broadcasting
- 16.04.2018APA TV’s YouTube channel hits 150,000 subscribers
- 30.03.2018Rahim Namazov shot in France is not a journalist: Azerbaijani Press Council
- 16.03.2018Vesti.az information agency celebrating 9th anniversary
- 10.03.2018Ali Hasanov: People who fled Azerbaijan insults country’s symbols
- 05.03.2018Real TV gets indefinite license for satellite broadcasting
- 05.03.2018APAsport Agency celebrates 11th anniversary
- 05.02.20187th Congress of Azerbaijani journalists to be held on March 10
- 01.02.2018MP Aflatun Amashov proposes changing legal status of Press Council
- 31.01.2018ANAS president: ANS vacating building of Institute of Zoology
- 31.01.2018Azerbaijani NTRC orders radio programs be monitored for shortcomings
- 30.01.2018NTRC makes decision on distributing AZN 3M among 5 TV channels
- 30.01.2018Keys to new apartments presented to journalists
- 30.01.2018Ali Hasanov: It’s wrong to compare foreign grants with Azerbaijani president’s support to media
- 23.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Criticism over lack of press freedom in Azerbaijan ‘groundless’
- 19.01.2018AZN 3M allocated by Azerbaijani president to be evenly distributed among 5 private TV channels
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 3M to TV and radio broadcasters
- 30.12.2017APA launches Telegram bot
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijani journalists must fight those opposing state and its symbols: professor
- 10.03.2018Vusala Mahirgizi: Online media plays special role in ensuring Azerbaijan’s information and national security
- 10.03.2018Aflatun Amashov reelected chairman of Azerbaijani Press Council
- 10.03.2018Charter of Azerbaijani Press Council amended
- 10.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani media should keep national interests above all
- 10.03.20187th Congress of Azerbaijani Journalists kicks off