Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev: "Support for journalists will be continued"
Baku – APA. Opening ceremony of the residential building constructed for journalists in Bibiheybet settlement of Sabail district is being held.
APA reports that prior to the event, journalists visited the graves of Heydar Aliyev and Hasan bey Zardabi - founder of the national press in the Alley of Honor.
Following this, the journalists arrived at the site of the building. President Ilham Aliyev also attended the opening ceremony and delivered a speech. The Head of State congratulated journalists on July 22 - National Press Day. President Ilham Aliyev said that inauguration of apartments built for journalists is a double celebration: “For the first time in the world, houses have been constructed for journalists. Journalists can’t buy houses with their salaries. The initiative put forward at the meeting with media representatives was immediately supported."
The President said that new complex, large water complex and other facilities would be built in the surrounding areas. Various media representatives with different political views have been given houses: “It shows that there is no discrimination in any sphere in Azerbaijan. There is a healthy atmosphere in Azerbaijan and the activity of journalists would further improve this atmosphere.”
The Head of State noted that the freedom of the press was enhanced as Heydar Aliyev annulled the censorship and Azerbaijan is having its say in the application of modern technology. "Internet journalism is developing in Azerbaijan as in the world. The state carries out programs on the proliferation of the Internet. So, we can say that freedom of speech has been fully ensured. This is the way it should be. Economic, social and public processes should be based on innovative ideas in Azerbaijan. Journalism plays an important role in the formation of the democratic society in our country. Azerbaijan will continue to fully ensure freedom of speech and other freedoms in the future. The place has been envisaged for sanctioned rallies nearby, the journalists will be able to cover them from the balconies. President Ilham Aliyev stressed the necessity of applying best practice in Azerbaijan. He said responsibility of journalists has always been a matter of debate: “Responsibility of journalists shows itself in the free press. In the recent years journalists feel the responsibility more. There are very few offensive articles in the press. On the other hand, false information can not live long in the modern internet era. Press Council maintains a constant focus on these issues. I do not want to speak about the professionalism of journalists, you regularly speak about it. If you need any support from the state, we'll support you for training young, skilled workers faster. In general, our journalism is loyal to the people and state. Personal, party, corporate interests are observed sometimes. It should not be allowed. There must be a strong sense of patriotism especially in the young states. This is not just a slogan. Our young people should be brought up with patriotic spirit and journalism plays an important role in this field. Independence is our happiness and great value. Therefore, it is very important for journalists to be patriotic. They should protect the interests of the state and avoid harmful steps. Furthermore, the problems existing in the society should be resolved within the country.”
According to the Head of State, if we have been living as an independent country for 22 years, we should ourselves solve all problems.
“There is no divergence regarding economic, political course. Therefore, we should solve all our problems ourselves. Articles are written regarding independence and patriotism. I do not consider this is enough. Our generation is lucky that we are living in an independent, free state. We should evaluate it, independence should be above all. Independence is not only the protection of state attributes, but also of the state interests,” he said.
President Ilham Aliyev underlined the importance of covering Nagorno Karabakh conflict in foreign media.
“NGOs are active in this sphere, media representatives also have access to foreign media. It should be enhanced. The state is ready to give support in through grants and other forms. Several countries have recently recognized Khojaly genocide, because the state and society are focusing attention on this issue. No one but journalists can cover well the realities of the state and society. Azerbaijan has made great achievements and it is impossible to ignore these realities. But the Armenian lobby is fighting against Azerbaijan in all the countries, where they are strong. They want to create impressions that Armenians can not live within Azerbaijan. We should take it into account. The world should be informed about the tolerance, religious tolerance and realities in other spheres through internet resources. We know that there are some problems, but we have also made great achievements. Azerbaijan is a member of the UN Security Council, a number of criteria of the developed countries have been applied in Azerbaijan. We have much to say, simply there should be coordination in this sphere. Patriotism should be above all. The collision of political views is natural, but we should not sacrifice state interests for personal ambitions. Independence is the greatest value and we should protect our independence. Unfortunately, some have the slave psychology, seek support abroad. Saying abroad, it does not matter for me in which pole it is located. The processes are moving in the negative direction, there are conflicts in a number of places of the world. Will somebody defend our interests better than we do? No, they won’t,”
President Ilham Aliyev said state care for media would be continued.
“150 journalists will live in the building we are inaugurating today. But there are more journalists, who need and deserve state support. Taking into account the initiative, support for journalists will be continued. I do not rule out that it will become a journalists’ camp,” he said.
President Ilham Aliyev inaugurated the building constructed for the journalists. The Head of State viewed the building. Following this, President Ilham Aliyev attended the ground-breaking ceremony of a new building for journalists.
Related news releases
- 16.03.2017Vesti.az information agency marks 8th anniversary
- 10.03.2017MP: Internet space should be regulated to ensure Azerbaijan’s information security
- 05.03.2017APAsport Agency celebrates 10th anniversary
- 28.02.2017Azerbaijani MP urges some local media outlets not to succumb to Armenian provocations
- 28.02.2017Press Council appeals to internet information resources
- 25.02.2017Press Council calls on media about situation on frontline
- 21.02.2017Agreement reached on resuming broadcast of Turkey’s TRT 1 channel in Azerbaijan
- 18.02.2017Debate on press freedom held at Baku European Lyceum
- 17.02.2017Azerbaijani parliamentary leadership meets media representatives
- 26.01.2017Moroccan ambassador to Azerbaijan visits APA Holding
- 16.01.2017Media accreditation for Baku 2017 Islamic Solidarity Games starts
- 10.01.2017Clare Hollingworth: British war correspondent dies aged 105
- 30.12.2016No need for new TV channels in Azerbaijan: NTRC
- 30.12.2016NTRC: Contract must be signed with Teleradio PA for broadcast of TRT1 in Azerbaijan
- 20.12.2016Azerbaijan to complete digital TV switchover today
- 19.12.2016Over 70 journalists killed worldwide in 2016: report
- 14.12.2016Azerbaijan ceases analogue broadcasting in 32 districts
- 12.12.2016Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on TV and radio broadcasting
- 09.12.2016NTRC empowered to issue license to TV, radio broadcasters
- 07.12.2016Azerbaijani MP proposes increasing amount of funds allocated for media
- 07.12.2016Azerbaijani Press Council: detention of chief editors of two newspapers under investigation
- 06.12.2016APA correspondent awarded by Heydar Aliyev Foundation VP Leyla Aliyeva
- 06.12.2016Azerbaijan to inaugurate new residential building for journalists in 2017
- 25.11.2016Azerbaijan attaches special importance to state-religion relations: CMO chairman
- 23.11.2016Turkey in fight against anti-Azerbaijani network
- 18.11.2016Azerbaijan to carry out analogue switch-off in districts in three stages
- 17.11.2016President Ilham Aliyev receives participants of News Agencies World Congress - UPDATED-1
- 17.11.2016Ban Ki-moon addresses participants of 5th News Agencies World Congress
- 17.11.2016Last panel session held as part of 5th News Agencies World Congress
- 17.11.20165th News Agencies World Congress underway in Baku
- 16.11.2016Azerbaijan may begin regulating Internet TV
- 16.11.2016UNESCO chief thanks Azerbaijani president for his media initiatives
- 16.11.2016Ilham Aliyev: Freedom of media ensured in Azerbaijan
- 16.11.2016Baku hosts 5th News Agencies World Congress and 16th General Assembly of OANA
- 16.11.2016APA News Agency celebrates its 12th birthday
- 15.11.2016Azerbaijan considering criminalizing offensive online activities by fake names or profiles
- 15.11.2016NTRC: Talks underway to restore open broadcasting of Turkish TV channel in Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2016Azerbaijan to end analogue broadcasting switch off by end of 2016 or in 2017
- 11.11.2016TV and radio broadcasting in Azerbaijan to be considered type of activity regarding national security
- 08.11.2016APA Agency correspondent addresses int’l press exhibition in Tehran
- 22.07.2013Azerbaijani President issues order on allocation of AZN 5 mln for construction of new building for journalists
- 26.07.2013APA Holding and GRBS Group of Companies sign cooperation agreement - PHOTOSESSION
- 06.08.2013Dunja Mijatović comments on a group of journalists’ arrest regarding Ergenekon coup case
- 22.07.2013Azerbaijani President lays foundation of new residential building for journalists
- 11.07.2013Aflatun Amashov reelected as chairman of Azerbaijani Press Council
- 11.07.2013President Ilham Aliyev: "Creation of conditions for free mass media is one of the main directions of the state policy "