Azerbaijani parliamentary leadership meets media representatives
A meeting was held Friday between the Azerbaijani parliamentary leadership and heads of some electronic and print media outlets.
The meeting was organized by the Press Council.
Addressing the meeting, Parliament Vice-Speaker Bahar Muradova highlighted the constant state care to media.
“The legislation related to the media is fully improved, the media is provided with comprehensive state support,” said the vice-speaker, hailing the important steps taken by national leader Heydar Aliyev and President Ilham Aliyev for the development of the media.
She noted that the Azerbaijani parliament attaches great importance to the work of the media.
“The parliament’s activity is always before the eyes of the media. The media plays an essential role in the coverage of the parliament’s activity,” she said.
Referring to the 25th anniversary of Khojaly genocide that will be marked in the next few days, the vice-speaker stressed the need for close parliament-media cooperation to convey to the international community the truth about the crimes committed against Azerbaijan.
Press Council Chairman Aflatun Amashov said for the first time so many heads of media outlets gathered in the parliament, noting that today’s meeting is aimed at ensuring closer involvement of the media in the parliament’s activity.
According to him, in Azerbaijan, about 40 daily and 250 weekly newspapers are issued and there is the same number of media portals.
Yeni Musavat editor-in-chief Rauf Arifoghlu proposed abolishing the VAT imposed on print media, noting that electronic media should be aided.
“The Azerbaijani president is providing extensive support to the print media, which continues to exist on account of the Fund of State Support for Mass Media Development. Such support should be given to electronic media, too, because it has the capability of crossing the Azerbaijani borders in a second. We can convey Azerbaijani realities in English, Russian, and Arabic in a timely manner,” he added.
The executive director of the Fund of State Support to the Development of Mass Media, Vugar Safarli, said most of local electronic media outlets copy one another and thus the government must not aid all of them.
“There is a plan to provide state support to electronic media. We hope this will come to happen in the near future. But there will be criteria for the amounts to be allocated for electronic media. They will not be given out arbitrarily. Financial aid will first be given to electronic media outlets that operate in foreign languages, the ones that convey to the world community Azerbaijan’s call for justice,” he noted.
Media representatives made their remarks, reminding that some MPs evade from reporters and make inadequate statements that raise anger among the population.
Safa Mirzayev, head of the Office of the Azerbaijani Parliament, said there is the lack of information in the country.
“This is not due to the fact that someone is hiding information. Azerbaijan is a small country, and sensational events don’t happen here every day. Therefore, in this case, some media outlets prefer to disseminate “fake news”, about which US President Donald Trump often complains,” he said.
Mirzayev expressed regret over the lack of e-media outlets that disseminate serious and through information.
He went on to say that the parliament’s leadership and office is willing to have friendly cooperation with media representatives.
Vice Speaker Muradova said in her response that the points not covered by the law “On mass media” can be recommended to a parliamentary plenary session after being discussed.
At the end of the meeting, the magazine dedicated to the 25th anniversary of the Khojaly genocide was presented.
- 05.02.20187th Congress of Azerbaijani journalists to be held on March 10
- 01.02.2018MP Aflatun Amashov proposes changing legal status of Press Council
- 31.01.2018ANAS president: ANS vacating building of Institute of Zoology
- 31.01.2018Azerbaijani NTRC orders radio programs be monitored for shortcomings
- 30.01.2018NTRC makes decision on distributing AZN 3M among 5 TV channels
- 30.01.2018Keys to new apartments presented to journalists
- 30.01.2018Ali Hasanov: It’s wrong to compare foreign grants with Azerbaijani president’s support to media
- 23.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Criticism over lack of press freedom in Azerbaijan ‘groundless’
- 19.01.2018AZN 3M allocated by Azerbaijani president to be evenly distributed among 5 private TV channels
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 3M to TV and radio broadcasters
- 30.12.2017APA launches Telegram bot
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan NTRC announces winner of competition for launch of new TV channel
- 21.12.2017Interfax-Azerbaijan director general dies aged 67
- 19.12.2017President İlham Aliyev signs decree to ensure AZERTAC`s activity
- 19.12.2017Court upholds Turan news agency’s claim against Baku Local Revenues Department
- 30.11.2017APA – main source of information about Azerbaijan for Georgian media
- 23.11.2017Famous Azerbaijani journalist passed away
- 16.11.2017APA now available on Facebook Messenger
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijan to impose new fines for violation of rules for dissemination of info on Internet
- 16.11.2017APA Information Agency celebrates 13th anniversary
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan Public Television and Radio Broadcasting Company sends letter to EBU
- 14.11.2017New director general of CBC TV channel appointed
- 14.11.2017NTRC to hold competition for creation of new TV channel
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijani Press Council chairman speaks out against glorification of criminals in media
- 02.11.2017OSCE welcomes dropping of criminal charges against Mehman Aliyev and Turan News Agency
- 31.10.2017APA Holding president visited IRNA News Agency
- 31.10.2017APA Holding president gives interview to Iran’s Sahar TV channel
- 31.10.2017APA Holding, ISNA Agency sign cooperation agreement
- 31.10.2017Vusala Mahirgizi: We expect Iranian media to disseminate authentic information about Karabakh conflict
- 31.10.2017APA Holding president meets with chairman of Iranian West Azerbaijan Province’s Press House
- 30.10.2017APA Holding and Iranian Huneronline sign cooperation agreement
- 30.10.2017President of APA Holding addresses media conference in Tehran
- 30.10.2017APA Holding and Iran’s Nasle Farda sign cooperation agreement
- 28.10.2017Vusala Mahirgizi meets with heads of Iranian news agencies
- 28.10.2017APA Holding president meets with director general of Iranian Culture and Islamic Guidance Ministry’s Foreign Media Department
- 28.10.201723rd Int’l Press Exhibition officially inaugurated in Tehran
- 20.10.2017NTRC grants satellite broadcast license to one TV channel, IP TV broadcast to 10 companies
- 07.10.2017Press Council holds monitoring at rally
- 06.10.2017Ali Hasanov: Turkish TV series were resulting in Turkish language outdoing Azerbaijani
- 06.10.2017Ali Hasanov: Thankfully, that TV channel no longer exists
- 18.02.2017Debate on press freedom held at Baku European Lyceum
- 21.02.2017Agreement reached on resuming broadcast of Turkey’s TRT 1 channel in Azerbaijan
- 25.02.2017Press Council calls on media about situation on frontline
- 26.01.2017Moroccan ambassador to Azerbaijan visits APA Holding
- 16.01.2017Media accreditation for Baku 2017 Islamic Solidarity Games starts
- 10.01.2017Clare Hollingworth: British war correspondent dies aged 105