Azerbaijani parliamentary leadership meets media representatives
A meeting was held Friday between the Azerbaijani parliamentary leadership and heads of some electronic and print media outlets.
The meeting was organized by the Press Council.
Addressing the meeting, Parliament Vice-Speaker Bahar Muradova highlighted the constant state care to media.
“The legislation related to the media is fully improved, the media is provided with comprehensive state support,” said the vice-speaker, hailing the important steps taken by national leader Heydar Aliyev and President Ilham Aliyev for the development of the media.
She noted that the Azerbaijani parliament attaches great importance to the work of the media.
“The parliament’s activity is always before the eyes of the media. The media plays an essential role in the coverage of the parliament’s activity,” she said.
Referring to the 25th anniversary of Khojaly genocide that will be marked in the next few days, the vice-speaker stressed the need for close parliament-media cooperation to convey to the international community the truth about the crimes committed against Azerbaijan.
Press Council Chairman Aflatun Amashov said for the first time so many heads of media outlets gathered in the parliament, noting that today’s meeting is aimed at ensuring closer involvement of the media in the parliament’s activity.
According to him, in Azerbaijan, about 40 daily and 250 weekly newspapers are issued and there is the same number of media portals.
Yeni Musavat editor-in-chief Rauf Arifoghlu proposed abolishing the VAT imposed on print media, noting that electronic media should be aided.
“The Azerbaijani president is providing extensive support to the print media, which continues to exist on account of the Fund of State Support for Mass Media Development. Such support should be given to electronic media, too, because it has the capability of crossing the Azerbaijani borders in a second. We can convey Azerbaijani realities in English, Russian, and Arabic in a timely manner,” he added.
The executive director of the Fund of State Support to the Development of Mass Media, Vugar Safarli, said most of local electronic media outlets copy one another and thus the government must not aid all of them.
“There is a plan to provide state support to electronic media. We hope this will come to happen in the near future. But there will be criteria for the amounts to be allocated for electronic media. They will not be given out arbitrarily. Financial aid will first be given to electronic media outlets that operate in foreign languages, the ones that convey to the world community Azerbaijan’s call for justice,” he noted.
Media representatives made their remarks, reminding that some MPs evade from reporters and make inadequate statements that raise anger among the population.
Safa Mirzayev, head of the Office of the Azerbaijani Parliament, said there is the lack of information in the country.
“This is not due to the fact that someone is hiding information. Azerbaijan is a small country, and sensational events don’t happen here every day. Therefore, in this case, some media outlets prefer to disseminate “fake news”, about which US President Donald Trump often complains,” he said.
Mirzayev expressed regret over the lack of e-media outlets that disseminate serious and through information.
He went on to say that the parliament’s leadership and office is willing to have friendly cooperation with media representatives.
Vice Speaker Muradova said in her response that the points not covered by the law “On mass media” can be recommended to a parliamentary plenary session after being discussed.
At the end of the meeting, the magazine dedicated to the 25th anniversary of the Khojaly genocide was presented.
- 07.08.2017‘Lent.az’ journalist visits North Korea
- 22.07.2017Ali Hasanov: President had deep impressions of meeting with journalists
- 22.07.2017Azerbaijan marks 142nd anniversary of national press
- 20.07.2017President: Number of false, unbiased pieces of information dramatically increased in Azerbaijani media
- 20.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives “Friend of Journalists” award
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani president: Journalists are my assistants
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Int’l public opinion on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict changed
- 20.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends inauguration of second building for journalists
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani president allocates lump sum financial assistance to local newspapers
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 5 million for construction of new building for journalists
- 19.07.2017APA Holding, Code Academy sign agreement on strategic cooperation
- 18.07.2017Vugar Safarli: Third building meant for journalists too will have 255 apartments
- 14.07.2017Groundbreaking ceremony of third building for journalists in Azerbaijan to take place on July 21
- 11.07.2017Delegation led by Iranian deputy minister visits APA Holding
- 13.06.2017Vugar Safarli re-appointed executive director of Fund of State Support for Mass Media Development
- 05.06.2017Members appointed at Supervisory Board of Fund of State Support for Development of Mass Media
- 05.06.2017APA Holding unveils redesigned website
- 31.05.2017Heads of media outlets visit Nakhchivan
- 29.05.2017APA TV marks its 4th birthday
- 26.05.2017APA Holding, ASAN radio sign MoU for cooperation
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani MP says necessary to create conditions for cable broadcasting of internet TV channels
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani MP calls for strict punishment for violation of law on internet TV channels
- 16.05.2017Documents required of journalists for new apartments specified
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan announces rules and terms for providing journalists with new apartments
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijani journalists to be given new apartments on 22 July
- 08.05.2017Azerbaijan determines who can own cable networks
- 05.05.20174th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue underway in Baku
- 03.05.2017Azerbaijani embassy in Ukraine addresses Azerbaijani media
- 03.05.2017UK ambassador holds meeting with media representatives
- 02.05.2017Tbilisi hosts media seminar on land degradation neutrality in South Caucasus
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijani court holds hearing over blocking of some websites
- 24.04.2017Candidates for ITV Director General named
- 20.04.2017Journalists suffer violence, intimidation and self-censorship in Europe, says CoE study
- 14.04.2017New members elected to ITV Broadcasting Council
- 07.04.2017Azerbaijan adds new paragraph to Civil Procedure Code’s article on cases considered by courts in separate proceedings
- 05.04.2017Azerbaijan creating conditions for people to file lawsuit for suspension of online information resources
- 05.04.2017New candidates nominated for ITV Broadcasting Council membership
- 16.03.2017Vesti.az information agency marks 8th anniversary
- 10.03.2017MP: Internet space should be regulated to ensure Azerbaijan’s information security
- 05.03.2017APAsport Agency celebrates 10th anniversary
- 18.02.2017Debate on press freedom held at Baku European Lyceum
- 21.02.2017Agreement reached on resuming broadcast of Turkey’s TRT 1 channel in Azerbaijan
- 25.02.2017Press Council calls on media about situation on frontline
- 26.01.2017Moroccan ambassador to Azerbaijan visits APA Holding
- 16.01.2017Media accreditation for Baku 2017 Islamic Solidarity Games starts
- 10.01.2017Clare Hollingworth: British war correspondent dies aged 105