Azerbaijani parliamentary leadership meets media representatives
A meeting was held Friday between the Azerbaijani parliamentary leadership and heads of some electronic and print media outlets.
The meeting was organized by the Press Council.
Addressing the meeting, Parliament Vice-Speaker Bahar Muradova highlighted the constant state care to media.
“The legislation related to the media is fully improved, the media is provided with comprehensive state support,” said the vice-speaker, hailing the important steps taken by national leader Heydar Aliyev and President Ilham Aliyev for the development of the media.
She noted that the Azerbaijani parliament attaches great importance to the work of the media.
“The parliament’s activity is always before the eyes of the media. The media plays an essential role in the coverage of the parliament’s activity,” she said.
Referring to the 25th anniversary of Khojaly genocide that will be marked in the next few days, the vice-speaker stressed the need for close parliament-media cooperation to convey to the international community the truth about the crimes committed against Azerbaijan.
Press Council Chairman Aflatun Amashov said for the first time so many heads of media outlets gathered in the parliament, noting that today’s meeting is aimed at ensuring closer involvement of the media in the parliament’s activity.
According to him, in Azerbaijan, about 40 daily and 250 weekly newspapers are issued and there is the same number of media portals.
Yeni Musavat editor-in-chief Rauf Arifoghlu proposed abolishing the VAT imposed on print media, noting that electronic media should be aided.
“The Azerbaijani president is providing extensive support to the print media, which continues to exist on account of the Fund of State Support for Mass Media Development. Such support should be given to electronic media, too, because it has the capability of crossing the Azerbaijani borders in a second. We can convey Azerbaijani realities in English, Russian, and Arabic in a timely manner,” he added.
The executive director of the Fund of State Support to the Development of Mass Media, Vugar Safarli, said most of local electronic media outlets copy one another and thus the government must not aid all of them.
“There is a plan to provide state support to electronic media. We hope this will come to happen in the near future. But there will be criteria for the amounts to be allocated for electronic media. They will not be given out arbitrarily. Financial aid will first be given to electronic media outlets that operate in foreign languages, the ones that convey to the world community Azerbaijan’s call for justice,” he noted.
Media representatives made their remarks, reminding that some MPs evade from reporters and make inadequate statements that raise anger among the population.
Safa Mirzayev, head of the Office of the Azerbaijani Parliament, said there is the lack of information in the country.
“This is not due to the fact that someone is hiding information. Azerbaijan is a small country, and sensational events don’t happen here every day. Therefore, in this case, some media outlets prefer to disseminate “fake news”, about which US President Donald Trump often complains,” he said.
Mirzayev expressed regret over the lack of e-media outlets that disseminate serious and through information.
He went on to say that the parliament’s leadership and office is willing to have friendly cooperation with media representatives.
Vice Speaker Muradova said in her response that the points not covered by the law “On mass media” can be recommended to a parliamentary plenary session after being discussed.
At the end of the meeting, the magazine dedicated to the 25th anniversary of the Khojaly genocide was presented.
- 16.03.2017Vesti.az information agency marks 8th anniversary
- 10.03.2017MP: Internet space should be regulated to ensure Azerbaijan’s information security
- 05.03.2017APAsport Agency celebrates 10th anniversary
- 28.02.2017Azerbaijani MP urges some local media outlets not to succumb to Armenian provocations
- 28.02.2017Press Council appeals to internet information resources
- 30.12.2016No need for new TV channels in Azerbaijan: NTRC
- 30.12.2016NTRC: Contract must be signed with Teleradio PA for broadcast of TRT1 in Azerbaijan
- 20.12.2016Azerbaijan to complete digital TV switchover today
- 19.12.2016Over 70 journalists killed worldwide in 2016: report
- 14.12.2016Azerbaijan ceases analogue broadcasting in 32 districts
- 12.12.2016Azerbaijani president approves amendments to law on TV and radio broadcasting
- 09.12.2016NTRC empowered to issue license to TV, radio broadcasters
- 07.12.2016Azerbaijani MP proposes increasing amount of funds allocated for media
- 07.12.2016Azerbaijani Press Council: detention of chief editors of two newspapers under investigation
- 06.12.2016APA correspondent awarded by Heydar Aliyev Foundation VP Leyla Aliyeva
- 06.12.2016Azerbaijan to inaugurate new residential building for journalists in 2017
- 25.11.2016Azerbaijan attaches special importance to state-religion relations: CMO chairman
- 23.11.2016Turkey in fight against anti-Azerbaijani network
- 18.11.2016Azerbaijan to carry out analogue switch-off in districts in three stages
- 17.11.2016President Ilham Aliyev receives participants of News Agencies World Congress - UPDATED-1
- 17.11.2016Ban Ki-moon addresses participants of 5th News Agencies World Congress
- 17.11.2016Last panel session held as part of 5th News Agencies World Congress
- 17.11.20165th News Agencies World Congress underway in Baku
- 16.11.2016Azerbaijan may begin regulating Internet TV
- 16.11.2016UNESCO chief thanks Azerbaijani president for his media initiatives
- 16.11.2016Ilham Aliyev: Freedom of media ensured in Azerbaijan
- 16.11.2016Baku hosts 5th News Agencies World Congress and 16th General Assembly of OANA
- 16.11.2016APA News Agency celebrates its 12th birthday
- 15.11.2016Azerbaijan considering criminalizing offensive online activities by fake names or profiles
- 15.11.2016NTRC: Talks underway to restore open broadcasting of Turkish TV channel in Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2016Azerbaijan to end analogue broadcasting switch off by end of 2016 or in 2017
- 11.11.2016TV and radio broadcasting in Azerbaijan to be considered type of activity regarding national security
- 08.11.2016APA Agency correspondent addresses int’l press exhibition in Tehran
- 07.11.2016President Ilham Aliyev confers honorary titles on TV and radio workers
- 07.11.2016APA TV reporter awarded title of honored journalist
- 07.11.2016APA News Agency attends Int’l Press Exhibition in Tehran
- 04.11.2016Baku court rejects appeal by ANS company
- 04.11.2016Int’l media exhibition underway in Tehran
- 03.11.2016Qatari ambassador visits APA Holding
- 01.11.2016Azerbaijan ceases analogue broadcasting in Baku, Absheron Peninsula
- 18.02.2017Debate on press freedom held at Baku European Lyceum
- 21.02.2017Agreement reached on resuming broadcast of Turkey’s TRT 1 channel in Azerbaijan
- 25.02.2017Press Council calls on media about situation on frontline
- 26.01.2017Moroccan ambassador to Azerbaijan visits APA Holding
- 16.01.2017Media accreditation for Baku 2017 Islamic Solidarity Games starts
- 10.01.2017Clare Hollingworth: British war correspondent dies aged 105