Azerbaijan marks 142nd anniversary of national press
Today marks the 142nd anniversary of the establishment of Azerbaijan's national press.
The 22nd of July is celebrated as the Day of National Press in Azerbaijan as the nation’s first newspaper “Ekinchi” was founded by Hasan bey Zardabi on 22 July 1991.
Although it published only 56 issues from 22 July 1875 to September 1877, the newspaper played an exceptional role in the establishment and development of Azerbaijan’s national press. Mostly informative by nature, “Ekinchi” gained quick prominence among both intellectuals and ordinary people. It is no surprise that intellectuals and writers of the time would cooperate with the newspaper and write articles on a frequent basis. However, the newspaper did not last long. Tsarist Russia began to be worried by the newspaper’s role in raising awareness among people of the public and political processes and eventually suspended the newspaper.
Having experienced periods of downfall and renaissance since then, Azerbaijani press have always played the role of a mirror reflecting the public view of what has happened. And the abolition of censorship in 1998 gave considerable impetus to the development of Azerbaijani press.
Today, there are a number of media outlets in the republic, including a number of different newspapers and magazines, as well as Internet-newspapers, which are developing now. The development of information technology turned Azerbaijani press into a part of global information network. The process of globalization in the world did not step aside the newspapers as well. Today hundreds of journalists are attending trainings and internships sponsored by international organizations for improving their professional skills.
The Azerbaijan Press Council prevented scattered publications and published Professional Code of Journalists, which had a positive impact on solution of problems between the media organizations. Description of freedom of press and expression as a basic principle in the Constitution of Azerbaijan promoted the formation of media as a free and strong institution of the society. Azerbaijani journalists became active participants of these processes.
It should be recalled that yesterday Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev attended a ceremony to give out apartments to 255 journalists as the second residential building for media workers was inaugurated on the occasion of the Day of the National Press.
Later, the president took part in a groundbreaking ceremony of the third residential building for media workers.
On the occasion of the Day of National Press, APA Holding staff congratulates all journalists in Azerbaijan and wish success in their activities.
Related news releases
- 01.06.2018Personnel reforms expected in ITV
- 01.06.2018Balakishi Gasimov elected ITV director general
- 30.05.2018Seven candidates submit documents for post of ITV director general
- 29.05.2018APA TV marks 5th anniversary
- 24.05.2018Russia’s St. Petersburg hosts media summit
- 23.05.2018Georgian media representatives visit APA Holding
- 17.05.2018New appointment at Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora
- 16.05.2018Swiss ambassador to Azerbaijan visits APA Holding
- 14.05.2018NTRC: Balakishi Gasimov not elected ITV director general
- 10.05.2018Iranian journalists visit APA Holding
- 08.05.2018Editor-in-chief of Echo newspaper Rauf Talishinsky passes away
- 01.05.2018Presentation held for media project marking centenary of Azerbaijani Democratic Republic
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss amendments to rules on sponsorship advertising in media - UPDATED
- 20.04.2018Press Council chairman criticizes ombudsperson’s activity
- 20.04.2018Bulgarian diplomats visit APA Holding
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijani parliamentary committee discusses amendments to law on public broadcasting
- 16.04.2018APA TV’s YouTube channel hits 150,000 subscribers
- 30.03.2018Rahim Namazov shot in France is not a journalist: Azerbaijani Press Council
- 16.03.2018Vesti.az information agency celebrating 9th anniversary
- 10.03.2018Ali Hasanov: People who fled Azerbaijan insults country’s symbols
- 10.03.2018Aflatun Amashov reelected chairman of Azerbaijani Press Council
- 10.03.2018Vusala Mahirgizi: Online media plays special role in ensuring Azerbaijan’s information and national security
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijani journalists must fight those opposing state and its symbols: professor
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijani Press Council’s chairman hails state support for media
- 10.03.2018Charter of Azerbaijani Press Council amended
- 10.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani media should keep national interests above all
- 10.03.20187th Congress of Azerbaijani Journalists kicks off
- 05.03.2018Real TV gets indefinite license for satellite broadcasting
- 05.03.2018APAsport Agency celebrates 11th anniversary
- 05.02.20187th Congress of Azerbaijani journalists to be held on March 10
- 01.02.2018MP Aflatun Amashov proposes changing legal status of Press Council
- 31.01.2018ANAS president: ANS vacating building of Institute of Zoology
- 31.01.2018Azerbaijani NTRC orders radio programs be monitored for shortcomings
- 30.01.2018NTRC makes decision on distributing AZN 3M among 5 TV channels
- 30.01.2018Keys to new apartments presented to journalists
- 30.01.2018Ali Hasanov: It’s wrong to compare foreign grants with Azerbaijani president’s support to media
- 23.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Criticism over lack of press freedom in Azerbaijan ‘groundless’
- 19.01.2018AZN 3M allocated by Azerbaijani president to be evenly distributed among 5 private TV channels
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 3M to TV and radio broadcasters
- 30.12.2017APA launches Telegram bot
- 22.07.2017Ali Hasanov: President had deep impressions of meeting with journalists
- 07.08.2017‘Lent.az’ journalist visits North Korea
- 25.08.2017Azerbaijani Press Council appeals to president regarding Mehman Aliyev
- 20.07.2017President: Number of false, unbiased pieces of information dramatically increased in Azerbaijani media
- 20.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives “Friend of Journalists” award
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani president: Journalists are my assistants