Azerbaijan marks 142nd anniversary of national press
Today marks the 142nd anniversary of the establishment of Azerbaijan's national press.
The 22nd of July is celebrated as the Day of National Press in Azerbaijan as the nation’s first newspaper “Ekinchi” was founded by Hasan bey Zardabi on 22 July 1991.
Although it published only 56 issues from 22 July 1875 to September 1877, the newspaper played an exceptional role in the establishment and development of Azerbaijan’s national press. Mostly informative by nature, “Ekinchi” gained quick prominence among both intellectuals and ordinary people. It is no surprise that intellectuals and writers of the time would cooperate with the newspaper and write articles on a frequent basis. However, the newspaper did not last long. Tsarist Russia began to be worried by the newspaper’s role in raising awareness among people of the public and political processes and eventually suspended the newspaper.
Having experienced periods of downfall and renaissance since then, Azerbaijani press have always played the role of a mirror reflecting the public view of what has happened. And the abolition of censorship in 1998 gave considerable impetus to the development of Azerbaijani press.
Today, there are a number of media outlets in the republic, including a number of different newspapers and magazines, as well as Internet-newspapers, which are developing now. The development of information technology turned Azerbaijani press into a part of global information network. The process of globalization in the world did not step aside the newspapers as well. Today hundreds of journalists are attending trainings and internships sponsored by international organizations for improving their professional skills.
The Azerbaijan Press Council prevented scattered publications and published Professional Code of Journalists, which had a positive impact on solution of problems between the media organizations. Description of freedom of press and expression as a basic principle in the Constitution of Azerbaijan promoted the formation of media as a free and strong institution of the society. Azerbaijani journalists became active participants of these processes.
It should be recalled that yesterday Azerbaijani President Ilham Aliyev attended a ceremony to give out apartments to 255 journalists as the second residential building for media workers was inaugurated on the occasion of the Day of the National Press.
Later, the president took part in a groundbreaking ceremony of the third residential building for media workers.
On the occasion of the Day of National Press, APA Holding staff congratulates all journalists in Azerbaijan and wish success in their activities.
Related news releases
- 05.02.20187th Congress of Azerbaijani journalists to be held on March 10
- 01.02.2018MP Aflatun Amashov proposes changing legal status of Press Council
- 31.01.2018ANAS president: ANS vacating building of Institute of Zoology
- 31.01.2018Azerbaijani NTRC orders radio programs be monitored for shortcomings
- 30.01.2018NTRC makes decision on distributing AZN 3M among 5 TV channels
- 30.01.2018Keys to new apartments presented to journalists
- 30.01.2018Ali Hasanov: It’s wrong to compare foreign grants with Azerbaijani president’s support to media
- 23.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Criticism over lack of press freedom in Azerbaijan ‘groundless’
- 19.01.2018AZN 3M allocated by Azerbaijani president to be evenly distributed among 5 private TV channels
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 3M to TV and radio broadcasters
- 30.12.2017APA launches Telegram bot
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan NTRC announces winner of competition for launch of new TV channel
- 21.12.2017Interfax-Azerbaijan director general dies aged 67
- 19.12.2017President İlham Aliyev signs decree to ensure AZERTAC`s activity
- 19.12.2017Court upholds Turan news agency’s claim against Baku Local Revenues Department
- 30.11.2017APA – main source of information about Azerbaijan for Georgian media
- 23.11.2017Famous Azerbaijani journalist passed away
- 16.11.2017APA now available on Facebook Messenger
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijan to impose new fines for violation of rules for dissemination of info on Internet
- 16.11.2017APA Information Agency celebrates 13th anniversary
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan Public Television and Radio Broadcasting Company sends letter to EBU
- 14.11.2017New director general of CBC TV channel appointed
- 14.11.2017NTRC to hold competition for creation of new TV channel
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijani Press Council chairman speaks out against glorification of criminals in media
- 02.11.2017OSCE welcomes dropping of criminal charges against Mehman Aliyev and Turan News Agency
- 31.10.2017APA Holding president visited IRNA News Agency
- 31.10.2017APA Holding president gives interview to Iran’s Sahar TV channel
- 31.10.2017APA Holding, ISNA Agency sign cooperation agreement
- 31.10.2017Vusala Mahirgizi: We expect Iranian media to disseminate authentic information about Karabakh conflict
- 31.10.2017APA Holding president meets with chairman of Iranian West Azerbaijan Province’s Press House
- 30.10.2017APA Holding and Iranian Huneronline sign cooperation agreement
- 30.10.2017President of APA Holding addresses media conference in Tehran
- 30.10.2017APA Holding and Iran’s Nasle Farda sign cooperation agreement
- 28.10.2017Vusala Mahirgizi meets with heads of Iranian news agencies
- 28.10.2017APA Holding president meets with director general of Iranian Culture and Islamic Guidance Ministry’s Foreign Media Department
- 28.10.201723rd Int’l Press Exhibition officially inaugurated in Tehran
- 20.10.2017NTRC grants satellite broadcast license to one TV channel, IP TV broadcast to 10 companies
- 07.10.2017Press Council holds monitoring at rally
- 06.10.2017Ali Hasanov: Turkish TV series were resulting in Turkish language outdoing Azerbaijani
- 06.10.2017Ali Hasanov: Thankfully, that TV channel no longer exists
- 22.07.2017Ali Hasanov: President had deep impressions of meeting with journalists
- 07.08.2017‘Lent.az’ journalist visits North Korea
- 25.08.2017Azerbaijani Press Council appeals to president regarding Mehman Aliyev
- 20.07.2017President: Number of false, unbiased pieces of information dramatically increased in Azerbaijani media
- 20.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives “Friend of Journalists” award
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani president: Journalists are my assistants