4th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue underway in Baku
A breakout session, entitled “The cultural dimensions of countering extremism in cyberspace: The radicalization of youth leading to violence”, was held on the sidelines of the 4th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue in Baku May 5.
The session was attended by Chafica Haddad, Chairperson of the Intergovernmental Council of the Information for All Programme (IFAP) and the Deputy Permanent Delegate of Grenada to UNESCO, Mohamed Sameh Amr, Professor and Chair of International Law at Cairo University, Former Ambassador and Permanent Delegate of Egypt to UNESCO, Farhad Hajiyev, Executive Director of the Youth Foundation of Azerbaijan, Daniel Da Hien, Coordinator of the African Youth Network of African NGO on information and training for youth, APA reported.
Chafica Haddad said that information is a source of power that plays a major role in solution of many issues and development of the country.
“Information is also the way leading to peace and unity. UNESCO's IFAP program is focused on the fight against radical extremism. Also, this program serves to link countries with each other, to establish intercultural dialogue. In each country, technologies are used are used to get people to know each other and establish friendship and cultural ties between them. However, groups engaged in radical extremism are using it to violate the security,” she added.
Mohamed Sameh Amr said extremism is widespread in places, where poverty prevails. “Prevention of extremism on the internet is particularly important, but it is very difficult for some communities. UNESCO sees these problems. In early 2015, UNESCO headquarters hosted a conference on radicalization of youth on internet. This conference was very helpful. Once can be a terrorist at any age. But young people are vulnerable to extremism. The Internet is widely used for this purpose. Extremism has nothing to do religion and ethnicity. The international community must find a lasting solution to this problem. UNESCO should support civil society in the fight against extremism in the Internet space. Youth should fight against radical extremism on social media and the Internet. Internet providers should cooperate so as to block illegal sites,” he said.
Farhad Hajiyev, in turn, noted that the various ethnic groups and representatives of various religious denominations live peacefully in Azerbaijan.
"Now everyone knows that the Internet is an integral part of our lives. The Internet is a completely new world, with more than 3 billion users around the world. Twitter and Facebook are sometimes used to spread negative thoughts. Potential radical extremism is not representative of a certain ethnic group or culture. All states are suffering from the consequences of extremism. Socially marginalized young people are more prone to extremism. Azerbaijan attaches great importance to young people. We are one of the few countries whose Ministry of Youth and Sports have a Youth Foundation. Our Foundation creates the conditions for young people so that they can make positive changes," he said.
- 23.11.2017Famous Azerbaijani journalist passed away
- 16.11.2017APA now available on Facebook Messenger
- 16.11.2017Azerbaijan to impose new fines for violation of rules for dissemination of info on Internet
- 16.11.2017APA Information Agency celebrates 13th anniversary
- 15.11.2017Azerbaijan Public Television and Radio Broadcasting Company sends letter to EBU
- 14.11.2017New director general of CBC TV channel appointed
- 14.11.2017NTRC to hold competition for creation of new TV channel
- 08.11.2017Azerbaijani Press Council chairman speaks out against glorification of criminals in media
- 02.11.2017OSCE welcomes dropping of criminal charges against Mehman Aliyev and Turan News Agency
- 31.10.2017APA Holding president visited IRNA News Agency
- 31.10.2017APA Holding president gives interview to Iran’s Sahar TV channel
- 31.10.2017APA Holding, ISNA Agency sign cooperation agreement
- 31.10.2017Vusala Mahirgizi: We expect Iranian media to disseminate authentic information about Karabakh conflict
- 31.10.2017APA Holding president meets with chairman of Iranian West Azerbaijan Province’s Press House
- 30.10.2017APA Holding and Iranian Huneronline sign cooperation agreement
- 30.10.2017President of APA Holding addresses media conference in Tehran
- 30.10.2017APA Holding and Iran’s Nasle Farda sign cooperation agreement
- 28.10.2017Vusala Mahirgizi meets with heads of Iranian news agencies
- 28.10.2017APA Holding president meets with director general of Iranian Culture and Islamic Guidance Ministry’s Foreign Media Department
- 28.10.201723rd Int’l Press Exhibition officially inaugurated in Tehran
- 20.10.2017NTRC grants satellite broadcast license to one TV channel, IP TV broadcast to 10 companies
- 07.10.2017Press Council holds monitoring at rally
- 06.10.2017Ali Hasanov: Turkish TV series were resulting in Turkish language outdoing Azerbaijani
- 06.10.2017Ali Hasanov: Thankfully, that TV channel no longer exists
- 30.09.2017No restrictions on activity of Turan news agency: prosecutor general
- 26.09.2017ATV channel president: Programmes are being reviewed
- 26.09.2017ATV channel president dismissed
- 21.09.2017Iranian ambassador to Azerbaijan visits APA Holding
- 19.09.2017Prosecutor General’s Office: No restrictive measures against Turan Information Agency
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani Ministry of Taxes re-imposes tax sanction on Turan news agency
- 16.09.2017Ministry of Taxes lifts tax sanction against Turan agency
- 13.09.2017Eastern Partnership Media Conference kicks off in Kyiv
- 11.09.2017OSCE welcomes release of Mehman Aliyev
- 11.09.2017Press Council: Mehman Aliyev’s release another example of Azerbaijani president’s sensitive attitude towards media
- 25.08.2017Azerbaijani Press Council appeals to president regarding Mehman Aliyev
- 07.08.2017‘Lent.az’ journalist visits North Korea
- 22.07.2017Ali Hasanov: President had deep impressions of meeting with journalists
- 22.07.2017Azerbaijan marks 142nd anniversary of national press
- 20.07.2017President: Number of false, unbiased pieces of information dramatically increased in Azerbaijani media
- 20.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives “Friend of Journalists” award
- 08.05.2017Azerbaijan determines who can own cable networks
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijani journalists to be given new apartments on 22 July
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan announces rules and terms for providing journalists with new apartments
- 03.05.2017Azerbaijani embassy in Ukraine addresses Azerbaijani media
- 03.05.2017UK ambassador holds meeting with media representatives
- 02.05.2017Tbilisi hosts media seminar on land degradation neutrality in South Caucasus