4th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue underway in Baku
A breakout session, entitled “The cultural dimensions of countering extremism in cyberspace: The radicalization of youth leading to violence”, was held on the sidelines of the 4th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue in Baku May 5.
The session was attended by Chafica Haddad, Chairperson of the Intergovernmental Council of the Information for All Programme (IFAP) and the Deputy Permanent Delegate of Grenada to UNESCO, Mohamed Sameh Amr, Professor and Chair of International Law at Cairo University, Former Ambassador and Permanent Delegate of Egypt to UNESCO, Farhad Hajiyev, Executive Director of the Youth Foundation of Azerbaijan, Daniel Da Hien, Coordinator of the African Youth Network of African NGO on information and training for youth, APA reported.
Chafica Haddad said that information is a source of power that plays a major role in solution of many issues and development of the country.
“Information is also the way leading to peace and unity. UNESCO's IFAP program is focused on the fight against radical extremism. Also, this program serves to link countries with each other, to establish intercultural dialogue. In each country, technologies are used are used to get people to know each other and establish friendship and cultural ties between them. However, groups engaged in radical extremism are using it to violate the security,” she added.
Mohamed Sameh Amr said extremism is widespread in places, where poverty prevails. “Prevention of extremism on the internet is particularly important, but it is very difficult for some communities. UNESCO sees these problems. In early 2015, UNESCO headquarters hosted a conference on radicalization of youth on internet. This conference was very helpful. Once can be a terrorist at any age. But young people are vulnerable to extremism. The Internet is widely used for this purpose. Extremism has nothing to do religion and ethnicity. The international community must find a lasting solution to this problem. UNESCO should support civil society in the fight against extremism in the Internet space. Youth should fight against radical extremism on social media and the Internet. Internet providers should cooperate so as to block illegal sites,” he said.
Farhad Hajiyev, in turn, noted that the various ethnic groups and representatives of various religious denominations live peacefully in Azerbaijan.
"Now everyone knows that the Internet is an integral part of our lives. The Internet is a completely new world, with more than 3 billion users around the world. Twitter and Facebook are sometimes used to spread negative thoughts. Potential radical extremism is not representative of a certain ethnic group or culture. All states are suffering from the consequences of extremism. Socially marginalized young people are more prone to extremism. Azerbaijan attaches great importance to young people. We are one of the few countries whose Ministry of Youth and Sports have a Youth Foundation. Our Foundation creates the conditions for young people so that they can make positive changes," he said.
- 21.09.2017Iranian ambassador to Azerbaijan visits APA Holding
- 19.09.2017Prosecutor General’s Office: No restrictive measures against Turan Information Agency
- 19.09.2017Azerbaijani Ministry of Taxes re-imposes tax sanction on Turan news agency
- 16.09.2017Ministry of Taxes lifts tax sanction against Turan agency
- 13.09.2017Eastern Partnership Media Conference kicks off in Kyiv
- 11.09.2017OSCE welcomes release of Mehman Aliyev
- 11.09.2017Press Council: Mehman Aliyev’s release another example of Azerbaijani president’s sensitive attitude towards media
- 25.08.2017Azerbaijani Press Council appeals to president regarding Mehman Aliyev
- 07.08.2017‘Lent.az’ journalist visits North Korea
- 22.07.2017Ali Hasanov: President had deep impressions of meeting with journalists
- 22.07.2017Azerbaijan marks 142nd anniversary of national press
- 20.07.2017President: Number of false, unbiased pieces of information dramatically increased in Azerbaijani media
- 20.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev receives “Friend of Journalists” award
- 20.07.2017Azerbaijani president: Journalists are my assistants
- 20.07.2017Ilham Aliyev: Int’l public opinion on Nagorno-Karabakh conflict changed
- 20.07.2017President Ilham Aliyev attends inauguration of second building for journalists
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani president allocates lump sum financial assistance to local newspapers
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 5 million for construction of new building for journalists
- 19.07.2017APA Holding, Code Academy sign agreement on strategic cooperation
- 18.07.2017Vugar Safarli: Third building meant for journalists too will have 255 apartments
- 14.07.2017Groundbreaking ceremony of third building for journalists in Azerbaijan to take place on July 21
- 11.07.2017Delegation led by Iranian deputy minister visits APA Holding
- 13.06.2017Vugar Safarli re-appointed executive director of Fund of State Support for Mass Media Development
- 05.06.2017Members appointed at Supervisory Board of Fund of State Support for Development of Mass Media
- 05.06.2017APA Holding unveils redesigned website
- 31.05.2017Heads of media outlets visit Nakhchivan
- 29.05.2017APA TV marks its 4th birthday
- 26.05.2017APA Holding, ASAN radio sign MoU for cooperation
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani MP says necessary to create conditions for cable broadcasting of internet TV channels
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijani MP calls for strict punishment for violation of law on internet TV channels
- 16.05.2017Documents required of journalists for new apartments specified
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijani court holds hearing over blocking of some websites
- 24.04.2017Candidates for ITV Director General named
- 20.04.2017Journalists suffer violence, intimidation and self-censorship in Europe, says CoE study
- 14.04.2017New members elected to ITV Broadcasting Council
- 07.04.2017Azerbaijan adds new paragraph to Civil Procedure Code’s article on cases considered by courts in separate proceedings
- 05.04.2017Azerbaijan creating conditions for people to file lawsuit for suspension of online information resources
- 05.04.2017New candidates nominated for ITV Broadcasting Council membership
- 16.03.2017Vesti.az information agency marks 8th anniversary
- 10.03.2017MP: Internet space should be regulated to ensure Azerbaijan’s information security
- 08.05.2017Azerbaijan determines who can own cable networks
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijani journalists to be given new apartments on 22 July
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan announces rules and terms for providing journalists with new apartments
- 03.05.2017Azerbaijani embassy in Ukraine addresses Azerbaijani media
- 03.05.2017UK ambassador holds meeting with media representatives
- 02.05.2017Tbilisi hosts media seminar on land degradation neutrality in South Caucasus