4th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue underway in Baku
A breakout session, entitled “The cultural dimensions of countering extremism in cyberspace: The radicalization of youth leading to violence”, was held on the sidelines of the 4th World Forum on Intercultural Dialogue in Baku May 5.
The session was attended by Chafica Haddad, Chairperson of the Intergovernmental Council of the Information for All Programme (IFAP) and the Deputy Permanent Delegate of Grenada to UNESCO, Mohamed Sameh Amr, Professor and Chair of International Law at Cairo University, Former Ambassador and Permanent Delegate of Egypt to UNESCO, Farhad Hajiyev, Executive Director of the Youth Foundation of Azerbaijan, Daniel Da Hien, Coordinator of the African Youth Network of African NGO on information and training for youth, APA reported.
Chafica Haddad said that information is a source of power that plays a major role in solution of many issues and development of the country.
“Information is also the way leading to peace and unity. UNESCO's IFAP program is focused on the fight against radical extremism. Also, this program serves to link countries with each other, to establish intercultural dialogue. In each country, technologies are used are used to get people to know each other and establish friendship and cultural ties between them. However, groups engaged in radical extremism are using it to violate the security,” she added.
Mohamed Sameh Amr said extremism is widespread in places, where poverty prevails. “Prevention of extremism on the internet is particularly important, but it is very difficult for some communities. UNESCO sees these problems. In early 2015, UNESCO headquarters hosted a conference on radicalization of youth on internet. This conference was very helpful. Once can be a terrorist at any age. But young people are vulnerable to extremism. The Internet is widely used for this purpose. Extremism has nothing to do religion and ethnicity. The international community must find a lasting solution to this problem. UNESCO should support civil society in the fight against extremism in the Internet space. Youth should fight against radical extremism on social media and the Internet. Internet providers should cooperate so as to block illegal sites,” he said.
Farhad Hajiyev, in turn, noted that the various ethnic groups and representatives of various religious denominations live peacefully in Azerbaijan.
"Now everyone knows that the Internet is an integral part of our lives. The Internet is a completely new world, with more than 3 billion users around the world. Twitter and Facebook are sometimes used to spread negative thoughts. Potential radical extremism is not representative of a certain ethnic group or culture. All states are suffering from the consequences of extremism. Socially marginalized young people are more prone to extremism. Azerbaijan attaches great importance to young people. We are one of the few countries whose Ministry of Youth and Sports have a Youth Foundation. Our Foundation creates the conditions for young people so that they can make positive changes," he said.
- 17.05.2018New appointment at Azerbaijani State Committee for Work with Diaspora
- 16.05.2018Swiss ambassador to Azerbaijan visits APA Holding
- 14.05.2018NTRC: Balakishi Gasimov not elected ITV director general
- 10.05.2018Iranian journalists visit APA Holding
- 08.05.2018Editor-in-chief of Echo newspaper Rauf Talishinsky passes away
- 01.05.2018Presentation held for media project marking centenary of Azerbaijani Democratic Republic
- 20.04.2018Azerbaijani parliament to discuss amendments to rules on sponsorship advertising in media - UPDATED
- 20.04.2018Press Council chairman criticizes ombudsperson’s activity
- 20.04.2018Bulgarian diplomats visit APA Holding
- 17.04.2018Azerbaijani parliamentary committee discusses amendments to law on public broadcasting
- 16.04.2018APA TV’s YouTube channel hits 150,000 subscribers
- 30.03.2018Rahim Namazov shot in France is not a journalist: Azerbaijani Press Council
- 16.03.2018Vesti.az information agency celebrating 9th anniversary
- 10.03.2018Ali Hasanov: People who fled Azerbaijan insults country’s symbols
- 10.03.2018Aflatun Amashov reelected chairman of Azerbaijani Press Council
- 10.03.2018Vusala Mahirgizi: Online media plays special role in ensuring Azerbaijan’s information and national security
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijani journalists must fight those opposing state and its symbols: professor
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijani Press Council’s chairman hails state support for media
- 10.03.2018Charter of Azerbaijani Press Council amended
- 10.03.2018Ilham Aliyev: Azerbaijani media should keep national interests above all
- 10.03.20187th Congress of Azerbaijani Journalists kicks off
- 05.03.2018Real TV gets indefinite license for satellite broadcasting
- 05.03.2018APAsport Agency celebrates 11th anniversary
- 05.02.20187th Congress of Azerbaijani journalists to be held on March 10
- 01.02.2018MP Aflatun Amashov proposes changing legal status of Press Council
- 31.01.2018ANAS president: ANS vacating building of Institute of Zoology
- 31.01.2018Azerbaijani NTRC orders radio programs be monitored for shortcomings
- 30.01.2018NTRC makes decision on distributing AZN 3M among 5 TV channels
- 30.01.2018Keys to new apartments presented to journalists
- 30.01.2018Ali Hasanov: It’s wrong to compare foreign grants with Azerbaijani president’s support to media
- 23.01.2018Ilham Aliyev: Criticism over lack of press freedom in Azerbaijan ‘groundless’
- 19.01.2018AZN 3M allocated by Azerbaijani president to be evenly distributed among 5 private TV channels
- 18.01.2018Azerbaijani president allocates AZN 3M to TV and radio broadcasters
- 30.12.2017APA launches Telegram bot
- 28.12.2017Azerbaijan NTRC announces winner of competition for launch of new TV channel
- 21.12.2017Interfax-Azerbaijan director general dies aged 67
- 19.12.2017President İlham Aliyev signs decree to ensure AZERTAC`s activity
- 19.12.2017Court upholds Turan news agency’s claim against Baku Local Revenues Department
- 30.11.2017APA – main source of information about Azerbaijan for Georgian media
- 23.11.2017Famous Azerbaijani journalist passed away
- 08.05.2017Azerbaijan determines who can own cable networks
- 11.05.2017Azerbaijani journalists to be given new apartments on 22 July
- 16.05.2017Azerbaijan announces rules and terms for providing journalists with new apartments
- 03.05.2017Azerbaijani embassy in Ukraine addresses Azerbaijani media
- 03.05.2017UK ambassador holds meeting with media representatives
- 02.05.2017Tbilisi hosts media seminar on land degradation neutrality in South Caucasus