Trial held in case of Azerbaijani MNS ex-official charged with extortion
The Baku Military Court held a trial on Friday in the criminal case of the former head of the main counter-intelligence directorate of the liquidated Ministry of National Security (MNS) of Azerbaijan, Miraziz Asgarov, accused of extorting a large sum of money from businessman Vidadi Azizov.
Victim Vidadi Azizov testified at the trial presided over by judge Elbay Allahverdiyev, claming that he had never been acquainted with Miraziz Asgarov before, APA reported.
Confirming the testimony he gave during the investigation, Azizov said that money was transferred from Dubai to Zaminbank in 2012.
“My friend named Nariman gave me one million manats that he took from the bank, and I returned 300,000 manat to him. At that time, I bought a house from a friend of Nariman, and the money should be transferred to him. At that moment, were surrounded by some MNS employees and taken to the ministry, where I was accused of treason and spying for Iran,” said victim Azizov.
The victim noted that he then talked to Asgarov and agreed on his release in exchange for money: “I said I would give him 100,000 manats. When asked where I would get this amount, I replied that I would give some of the money they had taken from me. Then, Asgarov said that this money does not belong to me.”
The victim said he was kept at the ministry till the night, then was released without being questioned. They took 300,000 dollars from him for the release.
Azizov said that Asgarov demanded 100,000 dollars from him, but they agreed on 40,000 dollars.
“I was asked about the head of an Iranian company, Jamshidian, they noted that he is a general of the Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC). I said I knew him as a businessman, I’ve met with heads of several leading companies in Iran and Jamshidian was one of them,” he added.
Miraziz Asgarov accused the victim of lying.
“We have collected enough evidence about Vidadi Azizov. He said that Jamshidian is an Iranian businessman. Everyone knows that Jamshidian was an IRGC general. He said he couldn’t present documents on business activities with those companies. The reason is that Iran was under international sanctions at that time. These companies were operating illegally, engaged in money laundering,” he added.
The trial will be continued on May 12.
Related news releases
- 17.02.2018SOCAR's petrol tanker burst into flames in Georgia
- 09.02.2018Small asteroid will pass very close to Earth on Friday
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijan's People's Artist Zarnigar Agakishiyeva dies
- 07.02.2018Fire broke out in Baku, 30 people were evacuated
- 07.02.2018Elon Musk's Falcon Heavy rocket launches successfully
- 06.02.2018The Ministry of Defense Industry releases information on the fire occured in the plant
- 06.02.2018The Ministry of Emergency Situations disseminated information in connection with the explosion at the plant in Baku
- 06.02.2018Explosion occurred in Radio engineering plant in Baku, no one injured - UPDATED
- 02.02.2018Boiler room explosion rocks Turkish capital, no casualties: governor
- 26.01.2018South Korea hospital fire kills 33, injures 50
- 26.01.20184 killed in Ukranian helicopter crash
- 23.01.2018A prominent Azerbaijani journalist dies
- 12.01.2018MES "The search of the missing climbers is carried out on a high mountain range with a complex terrain"
- 07.01.2018Dozens Injured in 5.1 Quake in Western Iran
- 06.01.2018Names of injured in bus crash in Baku revealed
- 06.01.2018Magnitude 5.1 quake hits western Iran
- 05.01.2018Foreign experts visit area of search of missing climbers
- 05.01.2018Kamchatka volcano spits up ash 5-7 kilometers high
- 04.01.2018Search for the missing mountaineers continued today - PHOTO - VIDEO
- 31.12.2017The People's Artist of Azerbaijan Chingiz Sadykhov dies
- 29.12.2017MES: "The search of climbers is conducted in all possible directions"
- 27.12.2017Ministry of Emergency Situations appeals to social network users and media
- 09.12.20174 killed, 4 injured in a traffic accident in Sheki
- 05.12.2017Fatal traffic accident kills 4 in Azerbaijan
- 24.11.2017Brazil striker given prison sentence
- 20.11.2017Akif Chovdarov files appeal against verdict
- 19.11.20175.9-magnitude quake hits 73 km NNE of Tobelo, Indonesia
- 16.11.20173.5-magnitude earthquake hits Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2017Iran earthquake death toll reached 530 people
- 03.11.2017Eldar Mahmudov's assistant arrested
- 02.11.2017The school director accused of sexual assault against schoolgirl in Khacmaz region arresred
- 02.11.2017Escaped convict and one more person killed in special operation in Baku - UPDATED
- 20.10.2017Municipal candidate of Azerbaijani origin shot in Georgia
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijan neutralized 99 criminal groups of 228 persons this year
- 14.10.2017Baku police detain members of gang committing robbery against foreigners
- 06.10.2017Prison term for Gozal Bayramli extended
- 03.10.2017Court rejects Rauf Mirgadirov’s appeal
- 01.10.2017Magnitude 5.3 earthquake hits Russia's Kamchatka peninsula
- 29.09.2017Lotfi Zadeh’s body brought to Baku
- 27.09.2017Quake hits Azerbaijan’s Shamakhi
- 06.05.2017The famous Azerbaijani scientist Rafiga Aliyeva died
- 11.05.2017Strong earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Saatli - UPDATED
- 13.05.2017Azerbaijani businessman goes missing in Ukraine
- 27.04.2017Turkish forces rescue Russian soldiers in Black Sea
- 25.04.2017SCC: Reports about mass brawl and beating of a customs official are untrue
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijan sends one prosecutor into retirement, replaces two others