Those accused of reporter’s murder in Azerbaijan testifies at trial
Kanan Madatov and Arif Aliyev, who are accused of the murder, testified at the hearing presided over by judge Eldar Ismayilov.
Kenan Madatov said that they intended to drink tea with Rasim Aliyev, not to fight with him. He pleaded guilty as he didn’t inform the police though being aware of the crime.
Then, Madatov said they all headed to Bibi-Heybat mosque to pray after beating Rasim Aliyev. “We didn’t guess that Rasim Aliyev would die,” he noted.
Later, the testimony he gave during the preliminary investigation was read out. Madatov didn’t confirm the testimony.
Arif Aliyev testified that he didn’t know that they would meet with Rasim Aliyev to fight him. The testimony he gave during the preliminary investigation was read out as well. Aliyev didn’t confirm the testimony either.
The hearing will continue on January 19.
On Aug.8, journalist Rasim Aliyev was beaten by a group of unknown persons and died in the hospital he had been admitted to with numerous bodily injuries. Due to the fact, Kenan Madatov, Jamal Mammadov, Samir Mustafayev, Elshan Ismayilov, Arif Aliyev, and football player Javid Huseynov were arrested. After a while, a separate criminal proceeding was launched against Javid Huseynov.
The football club "Gabala" issued a statement due to journalist Rasim Aliyev’s death. Mentioning the name of a football player Javid Huseynov in connection with this incident has caused deep regret. Despite the fact that Javid Huseynov is a very important player for the team "Gabala", he was removed from the core team until the situation is clear.
The club stated that the issue will be investigated fairly, transparently and objectively and all the perpetrators will be punished.
Related news releases
- 09.12.20174 killed, 4 injured in a traffic accident in Sheki
- 05.12.2017Fatal traffic accident kills 4 in Azerbaijan
- 24.11.2017Brazil striker given prison sentence
- 20.11.2017Akif Chovdarov files appeal against verdict
- 19.11.20175.9-magnitude quake hits 73 km NNE of Tobelo, Indonesia
- 16.11.20173.5-magnitude earthquake hits Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2017Iran earthquake death toll reached 530 people
- 03.11.2017Eldar Mahmudov's assistant arrested
- 02.11.2017The school director accused of sexual assault against schoolgirl in Khacmaz region arresred
- 02.11.2017Escaped convict and one more person killed in special operation in Baku - UPDATED
- 20.10.2017Municipal candidate of Azerbaijani origin shot in Georgia
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijan neutralized 99 criminal groups of 228 persons this year
- 14.10.2017Baku police detain members of gang committing robbery against foreigners
- 06.10.2017Prison term for Gozal Bayramli extended
- 03.10.2017Court rejects Rauf Mirgadirov’s appeal
- 01.10.2017Magnitude 5.3 earthquake hits Russia's Kamchatka peninsula
- 29.09.2017Lotfi Zadeh’s body brought to Baku
- 27.09.2017Quake hits Azerbaijan’s Shamakhi
- 27.09.2017Seven people killed in car crash in Azerbaijan identified - UPDATED
- 23.09.2017Azerbaijan sends helicopter to Georgia to tackle forest fires
- 22.09.2017OPEC and non-OPEC countries to discuss oil export monitoring mechanism
- 19.09.20174 women killed, 3 others injured in severe traffic accident in Azerbaijan
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijani minister's son died
- 14.09.2017Alexander Lapshin left Azerbaijan
- 08.09.201726 of 39 poisoned people at the wedding in Tovuz, discharged home - UPDATED - 3
- 07.09.2017Court to consider Mehman Aliyev’s appeal on Sept.8
- 03.09.2017183 UXOs detected in Azerbaijan’s Khizi region
- 02.09.2017Ministry: The strong wind expands the fire area in Gabala
- 31.08.2017Forest fire in Oguz region spread to the territory of the Shahdag National Park
- 31.08.2017Court refuses to commute Afgan Mukhtarli’s detention to house arrest
- 30.08.2017Akif Chovdarov’s lawyer asks court for one month to prepare speech
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijan State Security Service prevents smuggling of 44kg drugs
- 30.08.2017119 UXOs and 227 EBOs detected in Khizi region of Azerbaijan
- 29.08.2017Helicopter involved in extinguishing forest fires in Azerbaijan
- 28.08.2017Criminal case against Natig Jafarli terminated
- 26.08.2017The first staff of the rescue and fire-fighting team of the MES returned to country from Georgia
- 26.08.2017Azerbaijan’s helicopter involved in tackling fires in Georgia today as well
- 23.08.2017Azerbaijan's firefighters continue to battle Georgia wildfires, set up field tents
- 22.08.2017Azerbaijani ministry’s rescue team involved in extinguishing forest fires in Georgia
- 21.08.2017Azerbaijan sends helicopter to help Georgia tackle forest fires
- 14.01.2016Man arrested for armed assaults on filling stations in Azerbaijan’s Masalli
- 14.01.2016Preliminary investigation underway into case of misappropriation of funds of Azerbaijan’s largest bank
- 14.01.2016Azerbaijan exposes criminal group intending to create Sharia state
- 13.01.2016Official information released on protests in Siyazan and other districts
- 13.01.2016Azerbaijani jailed for life over fatal shooting of Russian police officer
- 13.01.2016Chairpersons of Lankaran branches of APFP and Musavat Party jailed for 30 days