Escaped convict and one more person killed in special operation in Baku - UPDATED
Etibar Mammadov, who escaped from a train during transportation to Baku on October 23, and one more person was killed and one was wounded in a special operation conducted in Garadagh district, Baku on the night of November 2.
Police were met with an armed resistance during the special operation held to capture the escaped convict Etibar Mammadov, nicknamed “Goja”, law enforcement authorities told APA.
As a result, the escapee and Ilgar Azimov were killed, while Anar Asgarov was wounded.
Adalat Dadashov, head physician of the Clinical Medical Center № 1, told APA that Anar Asgarov’s condition is satisfactory and there is no threat to his life.
“The bullet that entered his shoulder got stuck in the body. He has a broken arm. Asgarov will be taken for testimony after receiving the necessary medical care,” he added.
A special operation was conducted on the night of November 2 to capture Etibar Mammadov, nicknamed “Goja”, who escaped from a train during transportation to Baku on Oct. 23.
Etibar Mammadov and the people, who were with him, committed an armed resistance during the special operation conducted in Garadagh district. As a result, the escaped convict Mammadov was killed, APA has learned.
The Prosecutor General’s Office confirmed Mammadov’s death to APA.
On October 23, Etibar Mammadov and Ali Aghami, arrested on numerous charges, escaped from a train in Bilajari settlement during transportation to Baku, being accompanied by guards.
On the incident, the Investigation Department for Grave Crimes of the Azerbaijani General Prosecutor’s Office has filed a criminal case on Articles 304.2 (escape from places of imprisonment, from place of arrest or from place guard) and 308.2 (abuse of power).
Three persons – Mahammad Hajiyev, Gunay Atakishiyeva and Fedaya Lachin, were detained on charges of helping the prisoners. They were put in pre-trial detention.
A few employees of the Penitentiary Service were arrested and removed from duty over the incident.
Related news releases
- 12.01.2018MES "The search of the missing climbers is carried out on a high mountain range with a complex terrain"
- 07.01.2018Dozens Injured in 5.1 Quake in Western Iran
- 06.01.2018Names of injured in bus crash in Baku revealed
- 06.01.2018Magnitude 5.1 quake hits western Iran
- 05.01.2018Foreign experts visit area of search of missing climbers
- 05.01.2018Kamchatka volcano spits up ash 5-7 kilometers high
- 04.01.2018Search for the missing mountaineers continued today - PHOTO - VIDEO
- 31.12.2017The People's Artist of Azerbaijan Chingiz Sadykhov dies
- 29.12.2017MES: "The search of climbers is conducted in all possible directions"
- 27.12.2017Ministry of Emergency Situations appeals to social network users and media
- 09.12.20174 killed, 4 injured in a traffic accident in Sheki
- 05.12.2017Fatal traffic accident kills 4 in Azerbaijan
- 24.11.2017Brazil striker given prison sentence
- 20.11.2017Akif Chovdarov files appeal against verdict
- 19.11.20175.9-magnitude quake hits 73 km NNE of Tobelo, Indonesia
- 16.11.20173.5-magnitude earthquake hits Azerbaijan
- 06.10.2017Prison term for Gozal Bayramli extended
- 03.10.2017Court rejects Rauf Mirgadirov’s appeal
- 01.10.2017Magnitude 5.3 earthquake hits Russia's Kamchatka peninsula
- 29.09.2017Lotfi Zadeh’s body brought to Baku
- 27.09.2017Quake hits Azerbaijan’s Shamakhi
- 27.09.2017Seven people killed in car crash in Azerbaijan identified - UPDATED
- 23.09.2017Azerbaijan sends helicopter to Georgia to tackle forest fires
- 22.09.2017OPEC and non-OPEC countries to discuss oil export monitoring mechanism
- 19.09.20174 women killed, 3 others injured in severe traffic accident in Azerbaijan
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijani minister's son died
- 14.09.2017Alexander Lapshin left Azerbaijan
- 08.09.201726 of 39 poisoned people at the wedding in Tovuz, discharged home - UPDATED - 3
- 07.09.2017Court to consider Mehman Aliyev’s appeal on Sept.8
- 03.09.2017183 UXOs detected in Azerbaijan’s Khizi region
- 02.09.2017Ministry: The strong wind expands the fire area in Gabala
- 31.08.2017Forest fire in Oguz region spread to the territory of the Shahdag National Park
- 31.08.2017Court refuses to commute Afgan Mukhtarli’s detention to house arrest
- 30.08.2017Akif Chovdarov’s lawyer asks court for one month to prepare speech
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijan State Security Service prevents smuggling of 44kg drugs
- 30.08.2017119 UXOs and 227 EBOs detected in Khizi region of Azerbaijan
- 29.08.2017Helicopter involved in extinguishing forest fires in Azerbaijan
- 28.08.2017Criminal case against Natig Jafarli terminated
- 26.08.2017The first staff of the rescue and fire-fighting team of the MES returned to country from Georgia
- 26.08.2017Azerbaijan’s helicopter involved in tackling fires in Georgia today as well
- 02.11.2017The school director accused of sexual assault against schoolgirl in Khacmaz region arresred
- 03.11.2017Eldar Mahmudov's assistant arrested
- 14.11.2017Iran earthquake death toll reached 530 people
- 20.10.2017Municipal candidate of Azerbaijani origin shot in Georgia
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijan neutralized 99 criminal groups of 228 persons this year
- 14.10.2017Baku police detain members of gang committing robbery against foreigners