General Prosecutor’s Office and Ministry of National Security issue statement on arrest of Leyla Yunus
Baku. Hafiz Heydarov – APA. General Prosecutor’s Office and the Ministry of National Security (MNS) have issued a statement on the arrest of Leyla Yunus. Azerbaijani citizen Mirgadirov Rauf Habibulla oglu, who is now under preliminary investigation, was arrested as a suspect for a crime on 19 April 2014 as there were suspicions that he might have betrayed the Azerbaijani state by purposefully helping employees of the Armenian Republic’s special service bodies with his espionage since April 2008, and was put in pre-trial detention with the decision of the Nasimi District Court under article #274 of the Criminal Code of the Republic of Azerbaijan, the press service of General Prosecutor’s Office told APA.
It was discovered that Yunusova Leyla Islam, with the organization named “the Institute of Peace and Democracy”, without legal registration, which she founded in and has been chairing since 2002, have several times organized visits of Mirgadirov Rauf Habibulla oglu to the Republic of Armenia from the Republic of Georgia together with Arif Yunus at the expenses of the funds she got alongside Shahnazaryan David Gurgenovich, Bagdasaryan Laura Seyranovna and others from international donor organiozations in the name of implementing joint projects on “people’s diplomacy” between Armenia’s Region Research Center and other NGOs and the funds that were transferred to the accounts of her husband Yunusov Arif Seyfulla oglu, who has been head of department of his organization, in the commercial banks operating in Azerbaijan by Karen Ohanjanyan from a bank in the UK in 2002 and by Armenian NGO “Journalistic Researches” from a bank in Yerevan for helping foreign intelligence to manipulating the persons after learning their personal qualities and making sure of their desire to make a good living. In some of those visits, Arif Yunusov was also present along with Rauf Mirgadirov to hold several meetings with representatives of the agencies controlled by former Armenian Minister of National Security David Shahnazaryan and special service bodies.
At the same time, connecting different Azerbaijani citizens whose names are unknown at the moment to employees of Armenia’s special service bodies to involve them in secret partnership to collect data on the areas of socio-political, industrial, energy, military and technical supply with the purpose of using them against the Republic of Azerbaijan, Leyla Yunus and Arif Yunus have fulfilled their duty on giving concrete instructions to them on propagating the importance of recognizing the sovereignty of the illegal regime in Nagorno-Karabakh in exchange for the return of our occupied lands. As a result, they have been able to transmit the scheme of military units, aerodromes strategically important state facilities with their photos to representatives of the enemy country’s intelligence bodies.
Moreover, Yunusova Leyla Islam, as a founder and director of the Institute for Peace and Democracy without legal registration, included false information that she is allegedly a director of the Society of Women of Azerbaijan for Peace and Democracy in the Caucasus, registered on March 27, 1996, in the official documents allowing to carry out transactions of accounts belonged to this Society, in Unibank OJSC on November 21, 2002, and obtained check books, submitting these documents to the bank. She provided the transfer of total AZN 167 1999, $620 878 and €263 745 to the bank accounts of this organization in accordance with the grant agreements signed with the U.S. National Endowment for Democracy (NED), German Marshall Fund and other donor organizations in 2006-2014 and cashed these funds, breaching the requirements of the Law on Accounting of the Republic of Azerbaijan. She conducted illegal business activities, receiving AZN 526 943 on the unregistered grant agreements, and evaded taxes in amount of AZN 369 378 in accordance with tax legislation.
At the same time, there are suspicious that Leyla Yunusova cashed $88 468 out of $88 910 transferred to the accounts of the Society of Women of Azerbaijan for Peace and Democracy in the Caucasus in Unibank OJSC by the National Endowment for Democracy, German Marshall Fund and OSI Assistance Foundation in 2009-2012, falsifying official documents. After depositing $71 000 of these funds to her saving accounts, she withdrew the collected $78 130 with total interests from her accounts on April 24, 2014 and transferred to the account of his husband Arif Yunus is that bank. Following this, Arif Yunus immediately transferred these funds to his personal account in Sberbank CZ bank based in the Republic of Czech.
Leyla Yunus and Arif Yunus were repeatedly summoned to the investigation body, but they both avoided testifying without any valid reason. As a result, it was decided to forcibly take them to the investigation agency in accordance with the article #178 of the Criminal Procedure Code.
Because of all of these reasonable suspicions, Leyla Yunus has been sent to pretrial detention under the articles #274, 178.3.2, 192.2.2, 213.2.2, 320.1 and 320.2 of the Criminal Code. Arif Yunus faced charges under the articles# 274 and 178.3.2 of the Criminal Code. Taking into account his state, it was decided to transfer him under police surveillance.
Investigation is underway. The public will be provided additional information.
Related news releases
- 20.06.2017AZAL aircraft returns to Beijing Airport
- 17.06.2017First president of AFFA Fuad Musayev passed away
- 14.06.2017Smoke detected at crippled Chernobyl power plant
- 12.06.2017Baku police detain person over false bomb threat to mall
- 12.06.2017486 human traffickers brought to justice in 12 years – department chief
- 10.06.2017Energy Minister Natig Aliyev’s body brought to Baku - UPDATED
- 07.06.2017Mother and her two sons died, grandson wounded in a fatal traffic accident in Azerbaijan
- 06.06.2017Azerbaijan’s Interior Ministry prepares list of debtors banned from leaving country
- 03.06.2017Well-known lawyer dies in a motorcycle crash in Baku
- 02.06.2017Powerful mud closes Baku-Shamakhi highway, more than 500 cars remain on the road
- 30.05.2017The General Prosecutor's Office takes the investigation of the suicide attempt of the IDP under special control
- 28.05.2017Gregg Allman, of Allman Brothers Band Fame, Dead at 69
- 27.05.2017Conflict between school children in Azerbaijan ended with the death
- 13.05.2017Azerbaijani businessman goes missing in Ukraine
- 11.05.2017Strong earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Saatli - UPDATED
- 06.05.2017The famous Azerbaijani scientist Rafiga Aliyeva died
- 28.04.2017Trial held in case of Azerbaijani MNS ex-official charged with extortion
- 27.04.2017Turkish forces rescue Russian soldiers in Black Sea
- 25.04.2017SCC: Reports about mass brawl and beating of a customs official are untrue
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijan sends one prosecutor into retirement, replaces two others
- 13.04.2017Trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials continues
- 05.04.2017Two dead, one injured in train-car collision in Azerbaijan
- 29.03.2017The MES spread information about fires in Baku and Shabran
- 29.03.2017Father killed his 7 year-old son with a hammer in Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 25.03.2017Russia puts Armenian, born in Baku, on Interpol wanted list
- 18.03.201710 trucks carrying goods belonging to Azerbaijani companies hijacked in Ukraine
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijan deported over 1,500 foreigners in February
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-employee pleads not guilty - UPDATED
- 03.03.2017About 900 Azerbaijanis joined terrorist groups in Syria, Iraq
- 28.02.2017General Prosecutor's Office warns “Azerbaycan 24” news portal’s editor-in-chief
- 25.02.2017Date of hearing on appeals of those accused of reporter Rasim Aliyev’s death revealed
- 22.02.2017Prosecutor General's Office: "A criminal case was launched against members of the European Parliament"
- 22.02.2017Witnesses testify in Akif Chovdarov’s trial
- 22.02.2017Experts assess value of property Vidadi Zeynalov wants to put up for sale
- 09.02.2017Azerbaijan prevents drug smuggling from Iran
- 07.02.2017Blogger Alexander Lapshin extradited from Belarus to Azerbaijan - VIDEO - PHOTO
- 07.02.2017Earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Jalilabad region
- 27.01.2017Azerbaijani Interior Ministry holds board meeting
- 23.01.2017ICRC visits Armenian scout imprisoned in Azerbaijan
- 12.01.2017Interior Ministry has filed a petition to the General Prosecutor's Office against Mehman Huseynov
- 31.07.2014Anti-Corruption Department under Prosecutor General call center receive 2,864 requests this year
- 01.08.2014Italy declares Rovshan Lankaranski wanted through Interpol again
- 01.08.2014Azerbaijani citizens charged with cooperation with Iranian intelligence agencies sentenced to life imprisonment
- 31.07.2014Defense Ministry: Reports on losses of Azerbaijani Armed Forces on Nagorno Karabakh front groundless
- 31.07.2014Separatists in Luhansk murder one of Azerbaijani diaspora leaders
- 31.07.201418 year-old boy murdered in front of night club, Baku