Exploding stars rain radioactive metal on Earth
Baku-APA. A recently exploded star relatively near the solar system is raining radioactive metal down on earth, according to a new study published Thursday. Specifically, researchers found the radioactive material known as iron-60, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
In order to locate it, they poured over data collected by NASA spacecraft from more than 17 years of missions in space.
The team is the first ever to find radioactive particles resulting from a supernova, the enormous explosion that happens as a star dies, in Earth’s cosmic neighborhood.
Iron-60 is extremely rare on Earth, found only deep in the planet’s crust under the ocean. It’s also been found on the moon, including soil samples brought back by NASA’s Apollo missions between 1969 and 1972.
The material’s half-life, however, is 2.6 million years. Therefore, the material could not be from the Earth’s birth 4.5 billion years ago, because it would have decayed.
Instead, the iron-60 must be coming from space, where it forms in star explosions.
The discovery confirms that multiple supernovae have likely occurred near Earth within the past few million years.
The report was published Thursday in the journal Science by researchers from the University of Washington in St. Louis, the California Institute of Technology and NASA.
Researchers noticed that iron-60 nuclei, the part of the atom detected by NASA spacecraft, were sped up by supernovae just 300 light-years away, which is relatively close to Earth, astronomically speaking.
“There is a delay between when these nuclei were formed and when their acceleration occurred, which suggests that at least one more supernova occurred nearby and contributed to the acceleration,” scientists noted in the report.
Fortunately, the scientists believe Earth is struck by about one subatomic piece of iron-60 once a year – not enough to cause alarm.
Related news releases
- 29.06.2017Baku police issue arrest warrants for ex-diplomat and ex-spokesman of liquidated SSAC
- 28.06.2017Five SOCAR employees injured in the Caspian Sea
- 27.06.2017Petya ransomware virus is back amid cyber attack
- 20.06.2017AZAL aircraft returns to Beijing Airport
- 17.06.2017First president of AFFA Fuad Musayev passed away
- 14.06.2017Smoke detected at crippled Chernobyl power plant
- 12.06.2017Baku police detain person over false bomb threat to mall
- 12.06.2017486 human traffickers brought to justice in 12 years – department chief
- 10.06.2017Energy Minister Natig Aliyev’s body brought to Baku - UPDATED
- 07.06.2017Mother and her two sons died, grandson wounded in a fatal traffic accident in Azerbaijan
- 06.06.2017Azerbaijan’s Interior Ministry prepares list of debtors banned from leaving country
- 03.06.2017Well-known lawyer dies in a motorcycle crash in Baku
- 02.06.2017Powerful mud closes Baku-Shamakhi highway, more than 500 cars remain on the road
- 30.05.2017The General Prosecutor's Office takes the investigation of the suicide attempt of the IDP under special control
- 28.05.2017Gregg Allman, of Allman Brothers Band Fame, Dead at 69
- 27.05.2017Conflict between school children in Azerbaijan ended with the death
- 13.05.2017Azerbaijani businessman goes missing in Ukraine
- 11.05.2017Strong earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Saatli - UPDATED
- 06.05.2017The famous Azerbaijani scientist Rafiga Aliyeva died
- 28.04.2017Trial held in case of Azerbaijani MNS ex-official charged with extortion
- 27.04.2017Turkish forces rescue Russian soldiers in Black Sea
- 25.04.2017SCC: Reports about mass brawl and beating of a customs official are untrue
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijan sends one prosecutor into retirement, replaces two others
- 13.04.2017Trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials continues
- 05.04.2017Two dead, one injured in train-car collision in Azerbaijan
- 29.03.2017The MES spread information about fires in Baku and Shabran
- 29.03.2017Father killed his 7 year-old son with a hammer in Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 25.03.2017Russia puts Armenian, born in Baku, on Interpol wanted list
- 18.03.201710 trucks carrying goods belonging to Azerbaijani companies hijacked in Ukraine
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijan deported over 1,500 foreigners in February
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-employee pleads not guilty - UPDATED
- 03.03.2017About 900 Azerbaijanis joined terrorist groups in Syria, Iraq
- 28.02.2017General Prosecutor's Office warns “Azerbaycan 24” news portal’s editor-in-chief
- 25.02.2017Date of hearing on appeals of those accused of reporter Rasim Aliyev’s death revealed
- 22.02.2017Prosecutor General's Office: "A criminal case was launched against members of the European Parliament"
- 22.02.2017Witnesses testify in Akif Chovdarov’s trial
- 22.02.2017Experts assess value of property Vidadi Zeynalov wants to put up for sale
- 09.02.2017Azerbaijan prevents drug smuggling from Iran
- 07.02.2017Blogger Alexander Lapshin extradited from Belarus to Azerbaijan - VIDEO - PHOTO
- 07.02.2017Earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Jalilabad region
- 22.04.2016Vahan Martirosyan sent to third country with his family after fleeing to Azerbaijan
- 22.04.2016Azerbaijan detains 3 criminal groups for attempting to organize illegal migration
- 25.04.2016SOCAR locksmith dies in accident
- 20.04.2016Two journalists detained in Azerbaijan on fraud charges
- 20.04.2016Body found off Turkmen coast believed to be missing Azerbaijani oilman
- 19.04.2016Quake hits Caspian Sea