Exploding stars rain radioactive metal on Earth
Baku-APA. A recently exploded star relatively near the solar system is raining radioactive metal down on earth, according to a new study published Thursday. Specifically, researchers found the radioactive material known as iron-60, APA reports quoting Anadolu agency.
In order to locate it, they poured over data collected by NASA spacecraft from more than 17 years of missions in space.
The team is the first ever to find radioactive particles resulting from a supernova, the enormous explosion that happens as a star dies, in Earth’s cosmic neighborhood.
Iron-60 is extremely rare on Earth, found only deep in the planet’s crust under the ocean. It’s also been found on the moon, including soil samples brought back by NASA’s Apollo missions between 1969 and 1972.
The material’s half-life, however, is 2.6 million years. Therefore, the material could not be from the Earth’s birth 4.5 billion years ago, because it would have decayed.
Instead, the iron-60 must be coming from space, where it forms in star explosions.
The discovery confirms that multiple supernovae have likely occurred near Earth within the past few million years.
The report was published Thursday in the journal Science by researchers from the University of Washington in St. Louis, the California Institute of Technology and NASA.
Researchers noticed that iron-60 nuclei, the part of the atom detected by NASA spacecraft, were sped up by supernovae just 300 light-years away, which is relatively close to Earth, astronomically speaking.
“There is a delay between when these nuclei were formed and when their acceleration occurred, which suggests that at least one more supernova occurred nearby and contributed to the acceleration,” scientists noted in the report.
Fortunately, the scientists believe Earth is struck by about one subatomic piece of iron-60 once a year – not enough to cause alarm.
Related news releases
- 28.04.2017Trial held in case of Azerbaijani MNS ex-official charged with extortion
- 27.04.2017Turkish forces rescue Russian soldiers in Black Sea
- 25.04.2017SCC: Reports about mass brawl and beating of a customs official are untrue
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijan sends one prosecutor into retirement, replaces two others
- 13.04.2017Trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials continues
- 05.04.2017Two dead, one injured in train-car collision in Azerbaijan
- 29.03.2017The MES spread information about fires in Baku and Shabran
- 29.03.2017Father killed his 7 year-old son with a hammer in Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 25.03.2017Russia puts Armenian, born in Baku, on Interpol wanted list
- 18.03.201710 trucks carrying goods belonging to Azerbaijani companies hijacked in Ukraine
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijan deported over 1,500 foreigners in February
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-employee pleads not guilty - UPDATED
- 03.03.2017About 900 Azerbaijanis joined terrorist groups in Syria, Iraq
- 28.02.2017General Prosecutor's Office warns “Azerbaycan 24” news portal’s editor-in-chief
- 25.02.2017Date of hearing on appeals of those accused of reporter Rasim Aliyev’s death revealed
- 22.02.2017Prosecutor General's Office: "A criminal case was launched against members of the European Parliament"
- 22.02.2017Witnesses testify in Akif Chovdarov’s trial
- 22.02.2017Experts assess value of property Vidadi Zeynalov wants to put up for sale
- 09.02.2017Azerbaijan prevents drug smuggling from Iran
- 07.02.2017Blogger Alexander Lapshin extradited from Belarus to Azerbaijan - VIDEO - PHOTO
- 07.02.2017Earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Jalilabad region
- 27.01.2017Azerbaijani Interior Ministry holds board meeting
- 23.01.2017ICRC visits Armenian scout imprisoned in Azerbaijan
- 12.01.2017Interior Ministry has filed a petition to the General Prosecutor's Office against Mehman Huseynov
- 10.01.2017SOCAR released information about a fire broke out at a gas pipeline in Sangachal - UPDATED
- 08.01.2017SCC comments on reports about the detention of trucks at the border
- 07.01.2017Iraqi Embassy in Baku issues statement on the murder in “Demirchi Tower” business center
- 20.12.20164 magnitude earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Balaken region
- 04.12.201659 UXOs detected in Azerbaijan’s Gazakh city
- 30.11.20164.3 magnitude earthquake hits the Caspian Sea
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijan announces dates of 2017 holidays
- 26.11.2016Aircraft of Azerbaijani MES successfully eliminates fires in 8 locations in Israel
- 24.11.2016Three killed after car crashes into truck in Azerbaijan
- 23.11.2016Fire breaks out in Baku, one dead
- 19.11.2016People's artist of Azerbaijan Nariman Azimov dies
- 18.11.2016About 1,000 left without home after major fire in Jakarta
- 16.11.2016Ex-Azerbaijani minister pays over 6M manats for causing damage to state
- 15.11.2016IAC publishes a preliminary report on the crash of the cargo aircraft AN-12 in Afghanistan
- 11.11.2016Patient slashes throat with razor blade in Baku
- 08.11.2016Ganimat Zahid's relatives, who are in prison, repudiated him
- 22.04.2016Vahan Martirosyan sent to third country with his family after fleeing to Azerbaijan
- 22.04.2016Azerbaijan detains 3 criminal groups for attempting to organize illegal migration
- 25.04.2016SOCAR locksmith dies in accident
- 20.04.2016Two journalists detained in Azerbaijan on fraud charges
- 20.04.2016Body found off Turkmen coast believed to be missing Azerbaijani oilman
- 19.04.2016Quake hits Caspian Sea