IBA ex-head makes final statement in court
Baku. Etibar Mammadov – APA. Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Monday continued the trial of the former chairman of the board of the International Bank of Azerbaijan (IBA) Jahangir Hajiyev and seven more people arrested alongside him.
Accused Ibrahim Huseynov, ex-director of Inter Security LLC, in his final statement pleaded not guilty.
“I’m not a member of any organized group, nor do I have anything to do with the bank’s credit affairs and their management. I have only been in charge of security on the basis of contract,” said Huseynov. “I have submitted reports in this regard to Emil Mustafayev and Akif Aliyev, members of the bank’s Board. The loans taken in the employees’ names were spent on projects and these loans have already been paid off. Only the interest rates remain. If so, how come we’re accused of embezzlement? Had we intended to embezzle, we would not have paid these loans at all. None of the charges against me were proved. So I’m asking to the court for my acquittal.”
Then Hajiyev said his final word. He too asked for acquittal.
He noted that the investigation has been ongoing for a year and five months and no embezzlement was proved during the investigation.
“I was called to investigation in April 2015. I came back from abroad. If had I any guilt of embezzlement, I wouldn’t have came back. I faced a criminal case on May 2 and I worked with investigators for a long time. An arrest warrant was issued against me in December. I was detained illegally. It was also absurd of employees of the Main Directorate for Combating Organized Crime conducting the investigation, because none of them were knowledgeable of banking. How come my assistant Emil Mustafayev has submitted the complaint to the Main Directorate for Combating Organized Crime instead of the prosecutor’s office? I have had a huge role in Azerbaijan’s international economic relations. For instance, I have signed a contract with Russia’s Gazprom. The Ministry of Finance then got in its way. The contract was cancelled. The plants in Albania were investments by the International Bank. Again, the Ministry of Finance got in the way, causing $350 million damage to Azerbaijan. What I have done is clear cut. I’m proud of this. Since this case was initiated, thousands of people have been banned from leaving Azerbaijan,” said Hajiyev.
He noted that illegal actions have been taken against his family members too.
“My sister was banned from leaving the country, however she has nothing to do with this case. My mother died, and there was a legacy issue. ASAN Service didn’t receive any document regarding the issue. An operation group was sent to London for my wife. London Interpol didn’t accept, because it was unfounded. Earlier, Zakir Nasirov and Haji Mammadov had demanded me 20 million manats for the release of my wife. If I had embezzled the money, I could give them,” said Hajiyev.
The former IBA head continued: The criminal case consists of 21 volumes. 38 people have testified against us, examinations have been carried out, but there is no evidence of embezzlement. They said that we are an organized group. There are some accused persons here whom I have only seen once or twice.
Hajiyev also commented the claims of unlimited loans granted to his family members.
“The prosecutor claims that we have embezzled 48 million manats via credit cards. This amount was allegedly spent for air tickets and beauty salons. One should fly by plane 24 hours a day to spend that money. I have covered all the expenses of my family. All these accusations are groundless,” he added.
In his speech, Hajiyev accused Finance Minister Samir Sharifov.
“The main cause of injustice against me is Finance Minister Samir Sharifov. It is known who embezzled the funds mentioned in the case. Why isn’t this case being investigated? Why wasn’t businessman Bulent Kara involved in the investigation? During the investigation, discussions were held with Interior Minister Ramil Usubov, Prosecutor General Zakir Garalov and Deputy Finance Minister Azer Bayramov. Azer Bayramov noted that all the money was directed to loans. I demanded the investigation so that the head of the bank’s audit committee should testify. However, it was rejected. The prosecutor demanded to sentence me to 17 years in prison. It doesn’t matter to me, even if they will sentence me to 117 years in prison. But the prosecutor demanded to sentence other innocent persons from 11 up to 14 years in prison. It is unfair. We are living in the 21st century - in the era of internet and people can research anything they want. Some claim that I allegedly have millions, villas, planes. He also rejected reports of some media outlets that he has a house in England in the area settled by lords.”
He asked the court to reopen investigation into the criminal case, pass a special decision on investigators and prosecutors involved in the case and acquit them.
The trial was postponed indefinitely.
The former head of the International Bank of Azerbaijan Jahangir Hajiyev, the former heads of the bank’s Central branch Anar Sultanov and Ilgar Abdullayev, the former director of Inter Security LLC Ibrahim Huseynov, the former head of the bank’s Central branch Yusif Alakbarov, the former head of the bank’s Transport Branch Kanan Orujov, the former head of the bank’s Narimanov Branch Mammad Jahangirov and the former director of the Baku hazelnut factory Azad Javadov, who are involved in the case, are charged under articles 179.3.1, 179.3.2 (embezzlement on a large scale by an organized group), 308.2 (abuse of power, resulting in grave consequences), 309.2 (abuse of power, resulting in grave crimes), 313 (official forgery), 228.1 and 228.4 (illegal storage and carrying of firearms).
Related news releases
- 13.05.2017Azerbaijani businessman goes missing in Ukraine
- 11.05.2017Strong earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Saatli - UPDATED
- 06.05.2017The famous Azerbaijani scientist Rafiga Aliyeva died
- 28.04.2017Trial held in case of Azerbaijani MNS ex-official charged with extortion
- 27.04.2017Turkish forces rescue Russian soldiers in Black Sea
- 25.04.2017SCC: Reports about mass brawl and beating of a customs official are untrue
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijan sends one prosecutor into retirement, replaces two others
- 13.04.2017Trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials continues
- 05.04.2017Two dead, one injured in train-car collision in Azerbaijan
- 29.03.2017The MES spread information about fires in Baku and Shabran
- 29.03.2017Father killed his 7 year-old son with a hammer in Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 25.03.2017Russia puts Armenian, born in Baku, on Interpol wanted list
- 18.03.201710 trucks carrying goods belonging to Azerbaijani companies hijacked in Ukraine
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijan deported over 1,500 foreigners in February
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-employee pleads not guilty - UPDATED
- 03.03.2017About 900 Azerbaijanis joined terrorist groups in Syria, Iraq
- 28.02.2017General Prosecutor's Office warns “Azerbaycan 24” news portal’s editor-in-chief
- 25.02.2017Date of hearing on appeals of those accused of reporter Rasim Aliyev’s death revealed
- 22.02.2017Prosecutor General's Office: "A criminal case was launched against members of the European Parliament"
- 22.02.2017Witnesses testify in Akif Chovdarov’s trial
- 22.02.2017Experts assess value of property Vidadi Zeynalov wants to put up for sale
- 09.02.2017Azerbaijan prevents drug smuggling from Iran
- 07.02.2017Blogger Alexander Lapshin extradited from Belarus to Azerbaijan - VIDEO - PHOTO
- 07.02.2017Earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Jalilabad region
- 27.01.2017Azerbaijani Interior Ministry holds board meeting
- 23.01.2017ICRC visits Armenian scout imprisoned in Azerbaijan
- 12.01.2017Interior Ministry has filed a petition to the General Prosecutor's Office against Mehman Huseynov
- 10.01.2017SOCAR released information about a fire broke out at a gas pipeline in Sangachal - UPDATED
- 08.01.2017SCC comments on reports about the detention of trucks at the border
- 07.01.2017Iraqi Embassy in Baku issues statement on the murder in “Demirchi Tower” business center
- 20.12.20164 magnitude earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Balaken region
- 04.12.201659 UXOs detected in Azerbaijan’s Gazakh city
- 30.11.20164.3 magnitude earthquake hits the Caspian Sea
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijan announces dates of 2017 holidays
- 26.11.2016Aircraft of Azerbaijani MES successfully eliminates fires in 8 locations in Israel
- 24.11.2016Three killed after car crashes into truck in Azerbaijan
- 23.11.2016Fire breaks out in Baku, one dead
- 19.11.2016People's artist of Azerbaijan Nariman Azimov dies
- 18.11.2016About 1,000 left without home after major fire in Jakarta
- 16.11.2016Ex-Azerbaijani minister pays over 6M manats for causing damage to state
- 10.10.2016Hearing held in case of Taleh Baghirov and others
- 11.10.2016Baku court rejects appeal of man accused of attempting to kill two police officers
- 12.10.2016Man, 25, shoots businessman dead in Azerbaijan
- 10.10.2016571 killed in Azerbaijan traffic accidents since early 2016
- 08.10.2016Over 2,000 police officers hold operation in Baku
- 08.10.2016Special search operations conducted in Nardaran