Earthquake kills at least 18 in Papua New Guinea
At least 18 people were killed by a magnitude 6.7 quake that struck Papua New Guinea's mountainous Southern Highlands early Wednesday, an official said, adding to the death toll from a larger quake last week, APA reports quoting Reuters.
The tremor, shortly after midnight local time, struck just 31 kilometres southwest of the epicenter of a magnitude 7.5 quake that flattened villages and caused landslides last Monday, killing at least 55 people.
It was the most severe of a series of aftershocks that have rattled the resource-rich region, about 600 kilometres northwest of the capital Port Moresby, complicating efforts to provide aid to nearly 150,000 people in need of emergency supplies.
"I have just received reports that 18 people were killed last night," William Bando, Hela Province administrator told Reuters.
"It appears Hides was hardest hit. We haven't heard about potential casualties there yet, but it is a big village with many people."
Local media outlets on Tuesday reported the death toll from the original quake had risen to 75, after government officials said previously that 55 people had been killed.
A spokeswoman at Papua New Guinea's National Disaster Centre said on Wednesday that authorities had not yet finalized a casualty report.
James Komengi, a United Church project officer, speaking from Tari, the capital of quake-affected Hela province, said his church's assessment and response centre had counted up to 67 deaths in that province alone.
"Mothers and children are so traumatized. Even my own children are refusing to sleep in our house. Every little movement scares them," said Komengi.
Concerns were also growing about access to safe drinking water after the shaking destroyed many water tanks, while land slips had poured mud into natural water sources.
Aid efforts are being hampered as rescue workers struggle to reach the highlands area as many roads are either badly damaged or blocked.
The International Red Cross warned the situation could deteriorate if heavy rains hit the region.
"We are anxious to reach communities while there is a lull in what is usually a season of heavy rain. A big downpour could bring landslides in hillsides already destabilized by the earthquake, cause floods and contaminate water," said Udaya Regmi, Director the International Red Cross in Papua New Guinea.
The Red Cross said its initial assessments indicate that as many as 143,000 people could have been affected, with an estimated 500 people injured and 17,000 people displaced from their homes. Even in more accessible areas of the country, health facilities have been damaged.
ExxonMobil, which shut its $19-billion PNG liquefied natural gas (LNG) project after the first quake, said on Wednesday its facilities in Hides, where it runs a gas conditioning plant, were safely shut in. All employees and contractors were safe.
- 13.07.2018The Ministry of Emergency Situations disseminates information in connection with a strong fire in Agsu
- 12.07.2018Ministry of Emergency Situations: The fire in Agsu is extinguished
- 10.07.201820 injured in South Africa plane crash
- 10.07.2018An unsanctioned protest action prevented in Ganja, two police officers injured
- 10.07.2018Consistent, systematic work underway in Azerbaijan to prevent extremist, radical tendencies: State Security Service
- 08.07.20186.5-magnitude quake hits L'Esperance Rock, New Zealand
- 04.07.2018Ganja EP: Elmar Veliyev's condition is normal
- 04.07.2018The Prosecutor General's Office, MİA and the SSC issue a joint statement on the attack on Elmar Veliyev
- 03.07.2018Ganja Executive Power subjected to an armed attack
- 03.07.2018The evacuation process has been fully implemented in Baku Metro and the subway is equipped with electricity
- 03.07.2018Parviz Shahbazov: "Electricity supply to all strategic facilities has been restored"
- 03.07.2018Electricity supply to all facilities of state importance in Baku restored
- 03.07.2018Power to Heydar Aliyev International Airport and Baku Metro has been restored
- 03.07.2018Electricity supply to most districts of Baku restored - UPDATED
- 03.07.2018Ministry of Energy and "Azerenergy" OJSC release joint information on accident at Mingachevir TPS
- 03.07.2018Azerenergy official: "It is planned to provide full energy supply within next hours"
- 03.07.2018Incident in Mingachevir TPS under control of Azerbaijani President
- 03.07.2018Kemaleddin Heydarov: Maintenance is already underway at damaged block
- 03.07.2018MES: Fire extinguished in Mingachevir TPS, electricity supply being restored - UPDATED-1
- 27.06.2018Earthquake hits Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 23.06.2018Earthquake hits Azerbaijan
- 15.06.20183 died, another 3 injured as car crashes into cows in Azerbaijan
- 09.06.2018An armed incident occurs in a penitentiary in Baku
- 06.06.2018Strong earthquake in Zaqatala causes cracks in the walls of a number of houses
- 05.06.2018Magnitude 6 earthquake hits Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 04.06.2018“Border-Shield” operation launched on Azerbaijani-Russian border
- 03.06.20182 climbers killed after fall from Yosemite’s El Capitan
- 02.06.2018The mudflow destroyed the bridge in Goychay
- 01.06.2018Armed man attacks on apartment, shoots mother and daughter
- 30.05.201814 people injured and 25 cars damaged after bus crash in Dartford
- 29.05.2018Russian Journalist Killed in Kiev - Ukraine's Interior Ministry
- 17.05.2018Group head: "Missing mountaineers have fallen under a powerful avalanche"
- 17.05.2018Bodies of the missing mountaineers were taken to morgue
- 16.05.2018President Aliyev: Great work done to ensure Nakhchivan’s security
- 29.04.2018The fire in a multi-storey building in Baku extinguished - UPDATED
- 28.04.2018Il-38 plane of Indian Air Force makes emergency landing at Moscow region's airport
- 20.04.2018Earthquake hits Azerbaijan
- 12.04.2018Fire in a multi-storied residential building under construction in Baku extinguished - UPDATED
- 07.04.2018Helicopter rescues fisherman stuck among crocodiles
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijan's People's Artist Zarnigar Agakishiyeva dies
- 24.03.2018Fire breaks out in forest in Azerbaijan’s Lerik and Shabran distrcts
- 28.03.2018Gunman shooting Calgary police officer
- 01.04.20186 killed and 2 injured in head-on collision between passenger car and truck in Azerbaijan
- 02.03.2018One dies, three injured as strong fire occurs in the Republican Narcological Dispensary - UPDATED - 4
- 17.02.2018SOCAR's petrol tanker burst into flames in Georgia
- 09.02.2018Small asteroid will pass very close to Earth on Friday