Defendants in the Nardaran events gave testimony in court
At the trial presided by Judge Alovsat Abbasov, accused Etibar Ismayilov gave testimony and said that they did not have weapons, and did not shoot.
Prosecutor Ramin Nagdaliyev asked whether he knows how to use a gun and if he was involved in the defense of anyone? Ismailov noted that he was participant of the Karabakh war. But during the events he had no weapon, and did not stand up for anyone. Then the lawyer Neymat Karimli asked if the persons, who came with him, introduced themselves and how he knew Taleh Bagirov. Ismayilov answered that those who came did not introduce themselves, and he knew Taleh Bagirov from the "Freedom to hijab” actvity.
However, in his testimony to the investigation, Etibar Ismailov said that six months ago he was a member of the "Muslim unity" movement. He said he saw Taleh Bagirov once in the mosque, when he was talking about morality. On the day of the event, when he learned that Taleh Bagirov was holding a meeting in honor of Imam Hussein, he went there but in Nardaran village he was detained by police and was taken to that house. Arriving to the house, he did not enter into the courtyard. After police entered, the sound of gunfire was heard. Though he did not understand who opened fire first, but as he was a participant of the Karabakh war, he realized that it is the firing of machine guns. Grenades and a dagger he took with him in the case Taleh Bagirov and his associates were attacked.
Accused Bahruz Asgarov gave similar testimony, and said he did not consider himself guilty.
In his testimony to the investigation Bahruz Asgarov pleaded not guilty and said that the main work of the “Muslim unity” movement was to protect Haji Taleh, gather around him, support the rules required by him, socialize issues related to the hijab. From November 2015 Taleh Bagirov, began to live in the village of Nardaran in Abulfaz Bunyadov's house . The purpose of the settlement in the village was to protect themselves from law enforcement agencies and to enlist the support of the villagers. During Taleh Bagirov residence in Nardaran, Askerov in every 3-4 days used to go to Bunyadov’s house, met with Taleh and guarded him with others. People who were close to Haji Taleh, guarded him, saying that they would confront those who wanted to stop him, and even were willing to sacrifice their lives for him. On that day, when he performed prayers, police officers entered into the yard. At this time, all those who were at home immediately got up and fled in different directions. Those, who had machine guns and pistols, opened fire on police officers. One of Haji Taleh’ supporters threw a grenade towards the police, which exploded. At this time he was approached by police officers and grenade and brass knuckles were taken from him.
Accused Farhad Babayev said that was shot during the events. During the investigation, the prosecutor asked him, if he confirmed his testimony or not. The accused said that he does not confirm the information that he had a grenade on him and also said that he did not have weapons. The prosecutor also asked if he had been earlier in that house. Babayev noted he had not been.
However, during the preliminary investigation Farhad Babayev noted that on that day around 14:00 at the time of their prayer, he heard the sound of gunfire from the street. When he went outside a few people in black opened fire with automatic weapons. Sarvan standing next to him fell down. Seeing that Sarvan and his villager Bahruz were shot and wounded, he dragged them into white VAZ-2107. Along with the driver, they arrived at the hospital in Nardaran. Sarvan has died in the hospital. After that he went to the morgue and surrendered to the police.
In his testimony, accused Shamil Abdullayev also called the accusations against him unfounded. He said that he was wounded during the incident.
The prosecutor asked him why he went to the Taleh Bagirov, how he knew that the people in the house had no weapons. The prosecutor asked whether someone opened fire on the policemen. The accused said that he respected Bagirov as person, who protected the rights of people, and in that house all were praying and wore light dresses therefore he noticed that no one had the weapon.
Shamil Abdullayev in the preliminary investigation also gave the different testimony. He noted that first time he had seen Taleh Bagirov in the mosque “Abulfaz Abbas" in Bilgah 3-4 months before the incudent. November 26, 2015 around 11:00 on arrival in Nardaran village in Abulfaz’s house he saw that a large number of stones and batons were gathered in the yard. Around this time, 20-25 people were in the house and all were guarding Taleh Bagirov. On the same day, after prayers, police officers entered the yard, and he being inside the house heard the sound of gunfire. After this, he immediately went out with a grenade and bayonet to neutralize them but failed.
Speaking at the trial, Taleh Bagirov expressed his objurgation to these publications in the press and asked the court to take a decision in this regard.
The judge responded by saying that the process is open, and they have no function to control the press.
The trial will continue on August 11.
Taleh Bagirov is charged under paragraphs 120.2.1, 120.2.3, 120.2.4, 120.2.7, 120.2.12 of article 120 (premeditated murder), 29,120.2.1, 29,120.2.3, 29,120.2.4, 29,120.2.7, 29,120.2.12 29,120 of article 29,120(attempt to murder), under articles 228.3 (illegal purchase of firearms) and 228.4 (illegal possession of firearms). Taleh Bagirov was detained by law enforcement officials during a special operation in Nardaran settlement of Baku on 26 November. During the operation 60 people were detained. The criminal case of some of them were sent to the Sabunchu District Court.
Deputy chairman of Azerbaijan Popular Front Party (APFP) Fuad Gahramanli was arrested on December 8,2015.
He was brought to justice as a suspect under the Article 281.1 (public calls against the state) and 283.2 (incitement of national, racial, social or religious enmity and hatred by using violence) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
Related news releases
- 18.03.201710 trucks carrying goods belonging to Azerbaijani companies hijacked in Ukraine
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijan deported over 1,500 foreigners in February
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-employee pleads not guilty - UPDATED
- 03.03.2017About 900 Azerbaijanis joined terrorist groups in Syria, Iraq
- 28.02.2017General Prosecutor's Office warns “Azerbaycan 24” news portal’s editor-in-chief
- 25.02.2017Date of hearing on appeals of those accused of reporter Rasim Aliyev’s death revealed
- 22.02.2017Prosecutor General's Office: "A criminal case was launched against members of the European Parliament"
- 22.02.2017Witnesses testify in Akif Chovdarov’s trial
- 22.02.2017Experts assess value of property Vidadi Zeynalov wants to put up for sale
- 09.02.2017Azerbaijan prevents drug smuggling from Iran
- 07.02.2017Blogger Alexander Lapshin extradited from Belarus to Azerbaijan - VIDEO - PHOTO
- 07.02.2017Earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Jalilabad region
- 27.01.2017Azerbaijani Interior Ministry holds board meeting
- 23.01.2017ICRC visits Armenian scout imprisoned in Azerbaijan
- 12.01.2017Interior Ministry has filed a petition to the General Prosecutor's Office against Mehman Huseynov
- 10.01.2017SOCAR released information about a fire broke out at a gas pipeline in Sangachal - UPDATED
- 08.01.2017SCC comments on reports about the detention of trucks at the border
- 07.01.2017Iraqi Embassy in Baku issues statement on the murder in “Demirchi Tower” business center
- 20.12.20164 magnitude earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Balaken region
- 04.12.201659 UXOs detected in Azerbaijan’s Gazakh city
- 30.11.20164.3 magnitude earthquake hits the Caspian Sea
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijan announces dates of 2017 holidays
- 26.11.2016Aircraft of Azerbaijani MES successfully eliminates fires in 8 locations in Israel
- 24.11.2016Three killed after car crashes into truck in Azerbaijan
- 23.11.2016Fire breaks out in Baku, one dead
- 19.11.2016People's artist of Azerbaijan Nariman Azimov dies
- 18.11.2016About 1,000 left without home after major fire in Jakarta
- 16.11.2016Ex-Azerbaijani minister pays over 6M manats for causing damage to state
- 15.11.2016IAC publishes a preliminary report on the crash of the cargo aircraft AN-12 in Afghanistan
- 11.11.2016Patient slashes throat with razor blade in Baku
- 08.11.2016Ganimat Zahid's relatives, who are in prison, repudiated him
- 07.11.2016Testimonies of some witnesses on criminal case of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-employees revealed
- 29.10.2016Snakes attack Ismayilli’s Kurdmashi village, 40 venomous reptiles killed
- 29.10.2016Fire breaks out in two cafes in Sumgayit, 3 poisoned by smoke, 12 evacuated
- 27.10.2016Azerbaijani State Security Service conducted special operation, two extremists killed - UPDATED
- 27.10.2016Azerbaijani student dies after falling from 7th floor of university hostel in Ukraine
- 24.10.2016Police raid houses of alleged Nursists in Azerbaijan
- 14.10.2016Baku court continues trial in ‘Nardaran case’
- 14.10.2016Brother of ex-minister of Nakhchivan arrested
- 12.10.2016Azerbaijani footballer Javid Huseynov released from prison
- 11.08.2016Military Prosecutor's Office clarifies reports on arrest of former inspector
- 13.08.2016Earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Balaken
- 15.08.2016Court on Bakhtiyar Hajiyev postponed
- 03.08.2016MES appeals to population regarding safety rules on beaches
- 02.08.201634-year-old woman commits suicide in Azerbaijan
- 01.08.20166-year-old girl beaten to death in Khirdalan