Date of hearing on appeals of those accused of reporter Rasim Aliyev’s death revealed
The hearing will be presided over by judge Gadim Babayev, APA reports.
Earlier, Baku Court of Appeal had held a preliminary hearing on the appeals of the persons. At that time, lawyers of the accused appealed to hold court investigation. The curt rejected the petition. After that, the lawyers filed a cassation appeal against the decision. However, the Supreme Court upheld the previous decision and sent the case back to Baku Court of Appeal to be considered.
On Aug. 8, 2015 reporter Rasim Aliyev was beaten by a group of unknown persons in Baku’s Bayil settlement and died in the hospital he had been admitted to with numerous bodily injuries. The bill of indictment on the cases of Kanan Madatov, Jamal Mammadov, and Samir Mustafayev (charged with deliberate causing of serious harm to health, on imprudence entailed to death of a victim (Article 126.3)) as well as Elshan Ismayilov and Arif Aliyev (charged with theft (Article 177.1)) have been confirmed and submitted to the Baku Court of Grave Crimes. Another criminal case in separate proceedings has been opened on charging Javid Huseynov with not informing about crimes and obviously not promised concealment of crimes (Article 307.1) and with obviously not promised concealment of minor serious crimes (Article 307.2) and was sent to the court.
Baku’s Sabail district court sentenced Javid Huseynov 4 years in prison on May 31, 2016. Baku Court of Appeal reduced footballer his sentence from 4 years to 1 year and 2 months, and released him on October 12, 2016.
Baku Court of Grave Crimes passed a verdict against those guilty of journalist Rasim Aliyev’s death. Thus, Elshan Ismayilov has been sentenced to 13 years in prison, Arif Aliyev – 12.5 years, Jamal Mammadov – 11 years, Samir Mustafayev and Kanan Madatov – 9 years each. They appealed against the decision.
Related news releases
- 07.03.2018Earthquake kills at least 18 in Papua New Guinea
- 02.03.2018One dies, three injured as strong fire occurs in the Republican Narcological Dispensary - UPDATED - 4
- 17.02.2018SOCAR's petrol tanker burst into flames in Georgia
- 09.02.2018Small asteroid will pass very close to Earth on Friday
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijan's People's Artist Zarnigar Agakishiyeva dies
- 07.02.2018Fire broke out in Baku, 30 people were evacuated
- 07.02.2018Elon Musk's Falcon Heavy rocket launches successfully
- 06.02.2018The Ministry of Defense Industry releases information on the fire occured in the plant
- 06.02.2018The Ministry of Emergency Situations disseminated information in connection with the explosion at the plant in Baku
- 06.02.2018Explosion occurred in Radio engineering plant in Baku, no one injured - UPDATED
- 02.02.2018Boiler room explosion rocks Turkish capital, no casualties: governor
- 26.01.2018South Korea hospital fire kills 33, injures 50
- 26.01.20184 killed in Ukranian helicopter crash
- 23.01.2018A prominent Azerbaijani journalist dies
- 12.01.2018MES "The search of the missing climbers is carried out on a high mountain range with a complex terrain"
- 07.01.2018Dozens Injured in 5.1 Quake in Western Iran
- 06.01.2018Names of injured in bus crash in Baku revealed
- 06.01.2018Magnitude 5.1 quake hits western Iran
- 05.01.2018Foreign experts visit area of search of missing climbers
- 05.01.2018Kamchatka volcano spits up ash 5-7 kilometers high
- 04.01.2018Search for the missing mountaineers continued today - PHOTO - VIDEO
- 31.12.2017The People's Artist of Azerbaijan Chingiz Sadykhov dies
- 29.12.2017MES: "The search of climbers is conducted in all possible directions"
- 27.12.2017Ministry of Emergency Situations appeals to social network users and media
- 09.12.20174 killed, 4 injured in a traffic accident in Sheki
- 05.12.2017Fatal traffic accident kills 4 in Azerbaijan
- 24.11.2017Brazil striker given prison sentence
- 20.11.2017Akif Chovdarov files appeal against verdict
- 19.11.20175.9-magnitude quake hits 73 km NNE of Tobelo, Indonesia
- 16.11.20173.5-magnitude earthquake hits Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2017Iran earthquake death toll reached 530 people
- 03.11.2017Eldar Mahmudov's assistant arrested
- 02.11.2017The school director accused of sexual assault against schoolgirl in Khacmaz region arresred
- 02.11.2017Escaped convict and one more person killed in special operation in Baku - UPDATED
- 20.10.2017Municipal candidate of Azerbaijani origin shot in Georgia
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijan neutralized 99 criminal groups of 228 persons this year
- 14.10.2017Baku police detain members of gang committing robbery against foreigners
- 06.10.2017Prison term for Gozal Bayramli extended
- 03.10.2017Court rejects Rauf Mirgadirov’s appeal
- 01.10.2017Magnitude 5.3 earthquake hits Russia's Kamchatka peninsula
- 28.02.2017General Prosecutor's Office warns “Azerbaycan 24” news portal’s editor-in-chief
- 03.03.2017About 900 Azerbaijanis joined terrorist groups in Syria, Iraq
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-employee pleads not guilty - UPDATED
- 22.02.2017Prosecutor General's Office: "A criminal case was launched against members of the European Parliament"
- 22.02.2017Witnesses testify in Akif Chovdarov’s trial
- 22.02.2017Experts assess value of property Vidadi Zeynalov wants to put up for sale