Baku court continues trial on Nardaran case
Baku. Shahriyar Alizada – APA. Baku Court on Grave Crimes proceeded a hearing on Wednesday on the criminal case of Taleh Baghirov, Fuad Gahramanli and others.
An employee of the Main Directorate for Combating Organize Crime Kanan Heybatov gave testimony at the hearing presided by judge Alovsat Abbasov.
He said that upon the information received by the department, it was decided to hold an operation in Taleh Baghirov’s house. During the operation, shooting took place. Consequently, two police officers were killed. Heybatov said that he disarmed Bahruz Asgarov during the operation. According to him, Asgarov had a grenade and brass knuckles in his hand.
Answering questions of the prosecutor, Heybatov said that when he disarmed Bahruz, he saw bullet wounds on his body. The witness said that he shot him but he doesn’t know whether it wounded him or not. The prosecutor then asked what they were wearing. Heybatov said all the employees were in special uniforms.
Then answering questions of the lawyer, the witness said that no other body’s employees didn’t participate in the operation. However, Asgarov said that it wasn’t Heybatov who detained him and he first saw Heybatov at the Main Directorate for Combating Organize Crime. Asgarov said that he had bullet wound during the incident and he was taken to the hospital by the township residents.
Lawyer Yalchin Imanov said that Asgarov was wounded on his back, whereas Heybatov stood face to face with him and a fire was opened on the opposite side. The lawyer asked how this happened. The witness said that other police officers also opened fire during the incident and he was likely shot by the others.
Then the judges announced a break.
After the break, Taleh Baghiov accused the police officers of giving false testimony.
Judge Alovsat Abbasov told the accused that all witnesses have to testify. “You don’t like the testimony of the witnesses. However, I recommend you to avoid offensive statements. The witnesses take part on the prosecution’s side and we know you won’t like their testimony. You assess everything early. If so, let’s end the trial with announcing their testimony. All must testify. This is the rule of court.
Later, an employee of the Main Directorate for Combating Organize Crime Nadir Novruzov testified. He gave similar testimony saying that he disarmed Abbas Guliyev during the operation and found a knife, grenade on him.
The prosecutor asked him why the shooting started. The witness said that the shooting started as the opposite side, ignoring the warning of the police, opened fire.
Answering questions of the lawyer, the witness said that no physical pressure was used against the accused and they weren’t tortured, he didn’t witness such things.
Lawyer Yalchin Imanov asked him why the testimonies of the witness are the same. The witness said that the statements are written by the investigator.
The accused Guliyev said that though he didn’t see the face of the person who detained him, he said the person was tall. He was hit on his head in the car.
The hearing will be proceeded on September 21.
Taleh Baghirov faces charges under Criminal Code’s articles #120 (premeditated murder), 120.2.1, 120.2.3, 120.2.4, 120.2.7, 120.2.12, 29, 120 (attempt to premeditated murder), 29,120.2.1, 29,120.2.3 , 29,120.2.4, 120.2.7, 120.2.12 , 228.3 (illegal purchase of firearms), 228.4 (illegal carrying of weapons) and others. On November 26, 2015, law enforcement agencies conducted a special operation in Nardaran township, Baku, arresting Taleh Baghirov and 60 others. Separate criminal proceedings were initiated against some of them and their criminal cases were sent to the Sabunchu district court, which passed verdicts against them.
Fuad Gahramanli was jailed for three months on December 8, 2015. He is charged under the Article 281.1 (public calls for the violent seizure of power) and 283 (inciting national, racial, social or religious enmity and hatred by using violence or threat of violence) and 220.2 (Appeals to active insubordination to legal requirements of representatives of authority and to mass disorders, as well as appeals to violence above citizens) of Azerbaijan’s Criminal Code.
Related news releases
- 23.06.2018Earthquake hits Azerbaijan
- 15.06.20183 died, another 3 injured as car crashes into cows in Azerbaijan
- 09.06.2018An armed incident occurs in a penitentiary in Baku
- 06.06.2018Strong earthquake in Zaqatala causes cracks in the walls of a number of houses
- 05.06.2018Magnitude 6 earthquake hits Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 04.06.2018“Border-Shield” operation launched on Azerbaijani-Russian border
- 03.06.20182 climbers killed after fall from Yosemite’s El Capitan
- 02.06.2018The mudflow destroyed the bridge in Goychay
- 01.06.2018Armed man attacks on apartment, shoots mother and daughter
- 30.05.201814 people injured and 25 cars damaged after bus crash in Dartford
- 29.05.2018Russian Journalist Killed in Kiev - Ukraine's Interior Ministry
- 17.05.2018Group head: "Missing mountaineers have fallen under a powerful avalanche"
- 17.05.2018Bodies of the missing mountaineers were taken to morgue
- 16.05.2018President Aliyev: Great work done to ensure Nakhchivan’s security
- 29.04.2018The fire in a multi-storey building in Baku extinguished - UPDATED
- 28.04.2018Il-38 plane of Indian Air Force makes emergency landing at Moscow region's airport
- 20.04.2018Earthquake hits Azerbaijan
- 12.04.2018Fire in a multi-storied residential building under construction in Baku extinguished - UPDATED
- 07.04.2018Helicopter rescues fisherman stuck among crocodiles
- 01.04.20186 killed and 2 injured in head-on collision between passenger car and truck in Azerbaijan
- 28.03.2018Gunman shooting Calgary police officer
- 24.03.2018Fire breaks out in forest in Azerbaijan’s Lerik and Shabran distrcts
- 07.03.2018Earthquake kills at least 18 in Papua New Guinea
- 02.03.2018One dies, three injured as strong fire occurs in the Republican Narcological Dispensary - UPDATED - 4
- 17.02.2018SOCAR's petrol tanker burst into flames in Georgia
- 09.02.2018Small asteroid will pass very close to Earth on Friday
- 09.02.2018Azerbaijan's People's Artist Zarnigar Agakishiyeva dies
- 07.02.2018Fire broke out in Baku, 30 people were evacuated
- 07.02.2018Elon Musk's Falcon Heavy rocket launches successfully
- 06.02.2018The Ministry of Defense Industry releases information on the fire occured in the plant
- 06.02.2018The Ministry of Emergency Situations disseminated information in connection with the explosion at the plant in Baku
- 06.02.2018Explosion occurred in Radio engineering plant in Baku, no one injured - UPDATED
- 02.02.2018Boiler room explosion rocks Turkish capital, no casualties: governor
- 26.01.2018South Korea hospital fire kills 33, injures 50
- 26.01.20184 killed in Ukranian helicopter crash
- 23.01.2018A prominent Azerbaijani journalist dies
- 12.01.2018MES "The search of the missing climbers is carried out on a high mountain range with a complex terrain"
- 07.01.2018Dozens Injured in 5.1 Quake in Western Iran
- 06.01.2018Names of injured in bus crash in Baku revealed
- 06.01.2018Magnitude 5.1 quake hits western Iran
- 15.09.2016Nursists detained in Azerbaijan transferred to minimum security facility
- 19.09.2016Son kills his father in Azerbaijan's Astara
- 20.09.2016Court postpones hearing in case of Azerbaijani national security ministry’s ex-employees for Oct. 4 - UPDATED
- 14.09.2016Hearing on case of former Azerbaijani Int'l Bank head postponed
- 13.09.2016One killed, one injured in two-car collision in Azerbaijan
- 10.09.2016Natig Jafarli put on recognizance not to leave