Baku court continues trial on Nardaran case
Baku. Shahriyar Alizada – APA. Baku Court on Grave Crimes proceeded a hearing on Wednesday on the criminal case of Taleh Baghirov, Fuad Gahramanli and others.
An employee of the Main Directorate for Combating Organize Crime Kanan Heybatov gave testimony at the hearing presided by judge Alovsat Abbasov.
He said that upon the information received by the department, it was decided to hold an operation in Taleh Baghirov’s house. During the operation, shooting took place. Consequently, two police officers were killed. Heybatov said that he disarmed Bahruz Asgarov during the operation. According to him, Asgarov had a grenade and brass knuckles in his hand.
Answering questions of the prosecutor, Heybatov said that when he disarmed Bahruz, he saw bullet wounds on his body. The witness said that he shot him but he doesn’t know whether it wounded him or not. The prosecutor then asked what they were wearing. Heybatov said all the employees were in special uniforms.
Then answering questions of the lawyer, the witness said that no other body’s employees didn’t participate in the operation. However, Asgarov said that it wasn’t Heybatov who detained him and he first saw Heybatov at the Main Directorate for Combating Organize Crime. Asgarov said that he had bullet wound during the incident and he was taken to the hospital by the township residents.
Lawyer Yalchin Imanov said that Asgarov was wounded on his back, whereas Heybatov stood face to face with him and a fire was opened on the opposite side. The lawyer asked how this happened. The witness said that other police officers also opened fire during the incident and he was likely shot by the others.
Then the judges announced a break.
After the break, Taleh Baghiov accused the police officers of giving false testimony.
Judge Alovsat Abbasov told the accused that all witnesses have to testify. “You don’t like the testimony of the witnesses. However, I recommend you to avoid offensive statements. The witnesses take part on the prosecution’s side and we know you won’t like their testimony. You assess everything early. If so, let’s end the trial with announcing their testimony. All must testify. This is the rule of court.
Later, an employee of the Main Directorate for Combating Organize Crime Nadir Novruzov testified. He gave similar testimony saying that he disarmed Abbas Guliyev during the operation and found a knife, grenade on him.
The prosecutor asked him why the shooting started. The witness said that the shooting started as the opposite side, ignoring the warning of the police, opened fire.
Answering questions of the lawyer, the witness said that no physical pressure was used against the accused and they weren’t tortured, he didn’t witness such things.
Lawyer Yalchin Imanov asked him why the testimonies of the witness are the same. The witness said that the statements are written by the investigator.
The accused Guliyev said that though he didn’t see the face of the person who detained him, he said the person was tall. He was hit on his head in the car.
The hearing will be proceeded on September 21.
Taleh Baghirov faces charges under Criminal Code’s articles #120 (premeditated murder), 120.2.1, 120.2.3, 120.2.4, 120.2.7, 120.2.12, 29, 120 (attempt to premeditated murder), 29,120.2.1, 29,120.2.3 , 29,120.2.4, 120.2.7, 120.2.12 , 228.3 (illegal purchase of firearms), 228.4 (illegal carrying of weapons) and others. On November 26, 2015, law enforcement agencies conducted a special operation in Nardaran township, Baku, arresting Taleh Baghirov and 60 others. Separate criminal proceedings were initiated against some of them and their criminal cases were sent to the Sabunchu district court, which passed verdicts against them.
Fuad Gahramanli was jailed for three months on December 8, 2015. He is charged under the Article 281.1 (public calls for the violent seizure of power) and 283 (inciting national, racial, social or religious enmity and hatred by using violence or threat of violence) and 220.2 (Appeals to active insubordination to legal requirements of representatives of authority and to mass disorders, as well as appeals to violence above citizens) of Azerbaijan’s Criminal Code.
Related news releases
- 28.04.2017Trial held in case of Azerbaijani MNS ex-official charged with extortion
- 27.04.2017Turkish forces rescue Russian soldiers in Black Sea
- 25.04.2017SCC: Reports about mass brawl and beating of a customs official are untrue
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijan sends one prosecutor into retirement, replaces two others
- 13.04.2017Trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials continues
- 05.04.2017Two dead, one injured in train-car collision in Azerbaijan
- 29.03.2017The MES spread information about fires in Baku and Shabran
- 29.03.2017Father killed his 7 year-old son with a hammer in Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 25.03.2017Russia puts Armenian, born in Baku, on Interpol wanted list
- 18.03.201710 trucks carrying goods belonging to Azerbaijani companies hijacked in Ukraine
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijan deported over 1,500 foreigners in February
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-employee pleads not guilty - UPDATED
- 03.03.2017About 900 Azerbaijanis joined terrorist groups in Syria, Iraq
- 28.02.2017General Prosecutor's Office warns “Azerbaycan 24” news portal’s editor-in-chief
- 25.02.2017Date of hearing on appeals of those accused of reporter Rasim Aliyev’s death revealed
- 22.02.2017Prosecutor General's Office: "A criminal case was launched against members of the European Parliament"
- 22.02.2017Witnesses testify in Akif Chovdarov’s trial
- 22.02.2017Experts assess value of property Vidadi Zeynalov wants to put up for sale
- 09.02.2017Azerbaijan prevents drug smuggling from Iran
- 07.02.2017Blogger Alexander Lapshin extradited from Belarus to Azerbaijan - VIDEO - PHOTO
- 07.02.2017Earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Jalilabad region
- 27.01.2017Azerbaijani Interior Ministry holds board meeting
- 23.01.2017ICRC visits Armenian scout imprisoned in Azerbaijan
- 12.01.2017Interior Ministry has filed a petition to the General Prosecutor's Office against Mehman Huseynov
- 10.01.2017SOCAR released information about a fire broke out at a gas pipeline in Sangachal - UPDATED
- 08.01.2017SCC comments on reports about the detention of trucks at the border
- 07.01.2017Iraqi Embassy in Baku issues statement on the murder in “Demirchi Tower” business center
- 20.12.20164 magnitude earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Balaken region
- 04.12.201659 UXOs detected in Azerbaijan’s Gazakh city
- 30.11.20164.3 magnitude earthquake hits the Caspian Sea
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijan announces dates of 2017 holidays
- 26.11.2016Aircraft of Azerbaijani MES successfully eliminates fires in 8 locations in Israel
- 24.11.2016Three killed after car crashes into truck in Azerbaijan
- 23.11.2016Fire breaks out in Baku, one dead
- 19.11.2016People's artist of Azerbaijan Nariman Azimov dies
- 18.11.2016About 1,000 left without home after major fire in Jakarta
- 16.11.2016Ex-Azerbaijani minister pays over 6M manats for causing damage to state
- 15.11.2016IAC publishes a preliminary report on the crash of the cargo aircraft AN-12 in Afghanistan
- 11.11.2016Patient slashes throat with razor blade in Baku
- 08.11.2016Ganimat Zahid's relatives, who are in prison, repudiated him
- 15.09.2016Nursists detained in Azerbaijan transferred to minimum security facility
- 19.09.2016Son kills his father in Azerbaijan's Astara
- 20.09.2016Court postpones hearing in case of Azerbaijani national security ministry’s ex-employees for Oct. 4 - UPDATED
- 14.09.2016Hearing on case of former Azerbaijani Int'l Bank head postponed
- 13.09.2016One killed, one injured in two-car collision in Azerbaijan
- 10.09.2016Natig Jafarli put on recognizance not to leave