Baku court continues trial on Nardaran case
Baku. Shahriyar Alizada – APA. Baku Court on Grave Crimes proceeded a hearing on Wednesday on the criminal case of Taleh Baghirov, Fuad Gahramanli and others.
An employee of the Main Directorate for Combating Organize Crime Kanan Heybatov gave testimony at the hearing presided by judge Alovsat Abbasov.
He said that upon the information received by the department, it was decided to hold an operation in Taleh Baghirov’s house. During the operation, shooting took place. Consequently, two police officers were killed. Heybatov said that he disarmed Bahruz Asgarov during the operation. According to him, Asgarov had a grenade and brass knuckles in his hand.
Answering questions of the prosecutor, Heybatov said that when he disarmed Bahruz, he saw bullet wounds on his body. The witness said that he shot him but he doesn’t know whether it wounded him or not. The prosecutor then asked what they were wearing. Heybatov said all the employees were in special uniforms.
Then answering questions of the lawyer, the witness said that no other body’s employees didn’t participate in the operation. However, Asgarov said that it wasn’t Heybatov who detained him and he first saw Heybatov at the Main Directorate for Combating Organize Crime. Asgarov said that he had bullet wound during the incident and he was taken to the hospital by the township residents.
Lawyer Yalchin Imanov said that Asgarov was wounded on his back, whereas Heybatov stood face to face with him and a fire was opened on the opposite side. The lawyer asked how this happened. The witness said that other police officers also opened fire during the incident and he was likely shot by the others.
Then the judges announced a break.
After the break, Taleh Baghiov accused the police officers of giving false testimony.
Judge Alovsat Abbasov told the accused that all witnesses have to testify. “You don’t like the testimony of the witnesses. However, I recommend you to avoid offensive statements. The witnesses take part on the prosecution’s side and we know you won’t like their testimony. You assess everything early. If so, let’s end the trial with announcing their testimony. All must testify. This is the rule of court.
Later, an employee of the Main Directorate for Combating Organize Crime Nadir Novruzov testified. He gave similar testimony saying that he disarmed Abbas Guliyev during the operation and found a knife, grenade on him.
The prosecutor asked him why the shooting started. The witness said that the shooting started as the opposite side, ignoring the warning of the police, opened fire.
Answering questions of the lawyer, the witness said that no physical pressure was used against the accused and they weren’t tortured, he didn’t witness such things.
Lawyer Yalchin Imanov asked him why the testimonies of the witness are the same. The witness said that the statements are written by the investigator.
The accused Guliyev said that though he didn’t see the face of the person who detained him, he said the person was tall. He was hit on his head in the car.
The hearing will be proceeded on September 21.
Taleh Baghirov faces charges under Criminal Code’s articles #120 (premeditated murder), 120.2.1, 120.2.3, 120.2.4, 120.2.7, 120.2.12, 29, 120 (attempt to premeditated murder), 29,120.2.1, 29,120.2.3 , 29,120.2.4, 120.2.7, 120.2.12 , 228.3 (illegal purchase of firearms), 228.4 (illegal carrying of weapons) and others. On November 26, 2015, law enforcement agencies conducted a special operation in Nardaran township, Baku, arresting Taleh Baghirov and 60 others. Separate criminal proceedings were initiated against some of them and their criminal cases were sent to the Sabunchu district court, which passed verdicts against them.
Fuad Gahramanli was jailed for three months on December 8, 2015. He is charged under the Article 281.1 (public calls for the violent seizure of power) and 283 (inciting national, racial, social or religious enmity and hatred by using violence or threat of violence) and 220.2 (Appeals to active insubordination to legal requirements of representatives of authority and to mass disorders, as well as appeals to violence above citizens) of Azerbaijan’s Criminal Code.
Related news releases
- 22.08.2017Azerbaijani ministry’s rescue team involved in extinguishing forest fires in Georgia
- 21.08.2017Azerbaijan sends helicopter to help Georgia tackle forest fires
- 14.08.2017Large amount of money and jewelry stolen in house in Baku
- 10.08.2017The Ministry of Emergency Situations disseminates information on the fire in Binagadi district
- 06.08.2017Fire occurs at the dormitory in Sumgayit, 15 residents rescued, 20 were evacuated
- 03.08.20172 killed, 1 injured in a fatal traffic accident in Baku
- 26.07.2017Reasons of suicide committed in Shamkir known - UPDATED
- 25.07.2017Turkish plane is rerouted to Algiers after false bomb alert
- 21.07.2017Magnitude 6.7 quake hits Turkey’s west coast, up to 70 people injured
- 18.07.2017Incident occurred among fans of Samtredia FC and Garabagh FC in Tbilisi
- 05.07.2017452 kg drugs burned in Azerbaijan
- 05.07.2017Azerbaijan initiates criminal case over Armenian provocative acts
- 03.07.2017Alexander Lapshin’s mother to testify in court - UPDATED
- 29.06.2017Baku police issue arrest warrants for ex-diplomat and ex-spokesman of liquidated SSAC
- 28.06.2017Five SOCAR employees injured in the Caspian Sea
- 27.06.2017Petya ransomware virus is back amid cyber attack
- 20.06.2017AZAL aircraft returns to Beijing Airport
- 17.06.2017First president of AFFA Fuad Musayev passed away
- 14.06.2017Smoke detected at crippled Chernobyl power plant
- 12.06.2017Baku police detain person over false bomb threat to mall
- 12.06.2017486 human traffickers brought to justice in 12 years – department chief
- 10.06.2017Energy Minister Natig Aliyev’s body brought to Baku - UPDATED
- 07.06.2017Mother and her two sons died, grandson wounded in a fatal traffic accident in Azerbaijan
- 06.06.2017Azerbaijan’s Interior Ministry prepares list of debtors banned from leaving country
- 03.06.2017Well-known lawyer dies in a motorcycle crash in Baku
- 02.06.2017Powerful mud closes Baku-Shamakhi highway, more than 500 cars remain on the road
- 30.05.2017The General Prosecutor's Office takes the investigation of the suicide attempt of the IDP under special control
- 28.05.2017Gregg Allman, of Allman Brothers Band Fame, Dead at 69
- 27.05.2017Conflict between school children in Azerbaijan ended with the death
- 13.05.2017Azerbaijani businessman goes missing in Ukraine
- 11.05.2017Strong earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Saatli - UPDATED
- 06.05.2017The famous Azerbaijani scientist Rafiga Aliyeva died
- 28.04.2017Trial held in case of Azerbaijani MNS ex-official charged with extortion
- 27.04.2017Turkish forces rescue Russian soldiers in Black Sea
- 25.04.2017SCC: Reports about mass brawl and beating of a customs official are untrue
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijan sends one prosecutor into retirement, replaces two others
- 13.04.2017Trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials continues
- 05.04.2017Two dead, one injured in train-car collision in Azerbaijan
- 29.03.2017The MES spread information about fires in Baku and Shabran
- 29.03.2017Father killed his 7 year-old son with a hammer in Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 15.09.2016Nursists detained in Azerbaijan transferred to minimum security facility
- 19.09.2016Son kills his father in Azerbaijan's Astara
- 20.09.2016Court postpones hearing in case of Azerbaijani national security ministry’s ex-employees for Oct. 4 - UPDATED
- 14.09.2016Hearing on case of former Azerbaijani Int'l Bank head postponed
- 13.09.2016One killed, one injured in two-car collision in Azerbaijan
- 10.09.2016Natig Jafarli put on recognizance not to leave