Baku court continues trial on Nardaran case
Baku. Shahriyar Alizada – APA. Baku Court on Grave Crimes proceeded a hearing on Wednesday on the criminal case of Taleh Baghirov, Fuad Gahramanli and others.
An employee of the Main Directorate for Combating Organize Crime Kanan Heybatov gave testimony at the hearing presided by judge Alovsat Abbasov.
He said that upon the information received by the department, it was decided to hold an operation in Taleh Baghirov’s house. During the operation, shooting took place. Consequently, two police officers were killed. Heybatov said that he disarmed Bahruz Asgarov during the operation. According to him, Asgarov had a grenade and brass knuckles in his hand.
Answering questions of the prosecutor, Heybatov said that when he disarmed Bahruz, he saw bullet wounds on his body. The witness said that he shot him but he doesn’t know whether it wounded him or not. The prosecutor then asked what they were wearing. Heybatov said all the employees were in special uniforms.
Then answering questions of the lawyer, the witness said that no other body’s employees didn’t participate in the operation. However, Asgarov said that it wasn’t Heybatov who detained him and he first saw Heybatov at the Main Directorate for Combating Organize Crime. Asgarov said that he had bullet wound during the incident and he was taken to the hospital by the township residents.
Lawyer Yalchin Imanov said that Asgarov was wounded on his back, whereas Heybatov stood face to face with him and a fire was opened on the opposite side. The lawyer asked how this happened. The witness said that other police officers also opened fire during the incident and he was likely shot by the others.
Then the judges announced a break.
After the break, Taleh Baghiov accused the police officers of giving false testimony.
Judge Alovsat Abbasov told the accused that all witnesses have to testify. “You don’t like the testimony of the witnesses. However, I recommend you to avoid offensive statements. The witnesses take part on the prosecution’s side and we know you won’t like their testimony. You assess everything early. If so, let’s end the trial with announcing their testimony. All must testify. This is the rule of court.
Later, an employee of the Main Directorate for Combating Organize Crime Nadir Novruzov testified. He gave similar testimony saying that he disarmed Abbas Guliyev during the operation and found a knife, grenade on him.
The prosecutor asked him why the shooting started. The witness said that the shooting started as the opposite side, ignoring the warning of the police, opened fire.
Answering questions of the lawyer, the witness said that no physical pressure was used against the accused and they weren’t tortured, he didn’t witness such things.
Lawyer Yalchin Imanov asked him why the testimonies of the witness are the same. The witness said that the statements are written by the investigator.
The accused Guliyev said that though he didn’t see the face of the person who detained him, he said the person was tall. He was hit on his head in the car.
The hearing will be proceeded on September 21.
Taleh Baghirov faces charges under Criminal Code’s articles #120 (premeditated murder), 120.2.1, 120.2.3, 120.2.4, 120.2.7, 120.2.12, 29, 120 (attempt to premeditated murder), 29,120.2.1, 29,120.2.3 , 29,120.2.4, 120.2.7, 120.2.12 , 228.3 (illegal purchase of firearms), 228.4 (illegal carrying of weapons) and others. On November 26, 2015, law enforcement agencies conducted a special operation in Nardaran township, Baku, arresting Taleh Baghirov and 60 others. Separate criminal proceedings were initiated against some of them and their criminal cases were sent to the Sabunchu district court, which passed verdicts against them.
Fuad Gahramanli was jailed for three months on December 8, 2015. He is charged under the Article 281.1 (public calls for the violent seizure of power) and 283 (inciting national, racial, social or religious enmity and hatred by using violence or threat of violence) and 220.2 (Appeals to active insubordination to legal requirements of representatives of authority and to mass disorders, as well as appeals to violence above citizens) of Azerbaijan’s Criminal Code.
Related news releases
- 09.12.20174 killed, 4 injured in a traffic accident in Sheki
- 05.12.2017Fatal traffic accident kills 4 in Azerbaijan
- 24.11.2017Brazil striker given prison sentence
- 20.11.2017Akif Chovdarov files appeal against verdict
- 19.11.20175.9-magnitude quake hits 73 km NNE of Tobelo, Indonesia
- 16.11.20173.5-magnitude earthquake hits Azerbaijan
- 14.11.2017Iran earthquake death toll reached 530 people
- 03.11.2017Eldar Mahmudov's assistant arrested
- 02.11.2017The school director accused of sexual assault against schoolgirl in Khacmaz region arresred
- 02.11.2017Escaped convict and one more person killed in special operation in Baku - UPDATED
- 20.10.2017Municipal candidate of Azerbaijani origin shot in Georgia
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijan neutralized 99 criminal groups of 228 persons this year
- 14.10.2017Baku police detain members of gang committing robbery against foreigners
- 06.10.2017Prison term for Gozal Bayramli extended
- 03.10.2017Court rejects Rauf Mirgadirov’s appeal
- 01.10.2017Magnitude 5.3 earthquake hits Russia's Kamchatka peninsula
- 29.09.2017Lotfi Zadeh’s body brought to Baku
- 27.09.2017Quake hits Azerbaijan’s Shamakhi
- 27.09.2017Seven people killed in car crash in Azerbaijan identified - UPDATED
- 23.09.2017Azerbaijan sends helicopter to Georgia to tackle forest fires
- 22.09.2017OPEC and non-OPEC countries to discuss oil export monitoring mechanism
- 19.09.20174 women killed, 3 others injured in severe traffic accident in Azerbaijan
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijani minister's son died
- 14.09.2017Alexander Lapshin left Azerbaijan
- 08.09.201726 of 39 poisoned people at the wedding in Tovuz, discharged home - UPDATED - 3
- 07.09.2017Court to consider Mehman Aliyev’s appeal on Sept.8
- 03.09.2017183 UXOs detected in Azerbaijan’s Khizi region
- 02.09.2017Ministry: The strong wind expands the fire area in Gabala
- 31.08.2017Forest fire in Oguz region spread to the territory of the Shahdag National Park
- 31.08.2017Court refuses to commute Afgan Mukhtarli’s detention to house arrest
- 30.08.2017Akif Chovdarov’s lawyer asks court for one month to prepare speech
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijan State Security Service prevents smuggling of 44kg drugs
- 30.08.2017119 UXOs and 227 EBOs detected in Khizi region of Azerbaijan
- 29.08.2017Helicopter involved in extinguishing forest fires in Azerbaijan
- 28.08.2017Criminal case against Natig Jafarli terminated
- 26.08.2017The first staff of the rescue and fire-fighting team of the MES returned to country from Georgia
- 26.08.2017Azerbaijan’s helicopter involved in tackling fires in Georgia today as well
- 23.08.2017Azerbaijan's firefighters continue to battle Georgia wildfires, set up field tents
- 22.08.2017Azerbaijani ministry’s rescue team involved in extinguishing forest fires in Georgia
- 21.08.2017Azerbaijan sends helicopter to help Georgia tackle forest fires
- 15.09.2016Nursists detained in Azerbaijan transferred to minimum security facility
- 19.09.2016Son kills his father in Azerbaijan's Astara
- 20.09.2016Court postpones hearing in case of Azerbaijani national security ministry’s ex-employees for Oct. 4 - UPDATED
- 14.09.2016Hearing on case of former Azerbaijani Int'l Bank head postponed
- 13.09.2016One killed, one injured in two-car collision in Azerbaijan
- 10.09.2016Natig Jafarli put on recognizance not to leave