Baku court continues trial in ‘Nardaran case’
Baku. Shahriyar Alizada – APA. The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Friday resumed the trial of Taleh Baghirov, Fuad Gahramanli and others, who are accused of the events of Nardaran.
At the hearing presided over by judge Alovsat Abbasov, Taleh Baghirov said that he has been kept in a cell for five days.
Later, employee of Sabunchu District Police Department Nasib Asadullayev gave testimony. He said that on November 5 last year, a group of persons gathered in front of Sabunchu District Police Department demanding the release of Elchin Gasimov. He said that he wasn’t injured during the incident, didn’t see anyone throwing stones at the police and he didn’t detain anyone.
Then Anar Ibrahimov, an employee of Sabunchu District Police Department, testified as a witness. He said that he lost his club during the incident and he was hit by a stone on his stomach. However, he didn’t appeal anywhere as a victim.
Following his testimony, Taleh Baghirov said that the lawyers who came to the hearing and supported them have been summoned to the Main Directorate for Combating Organized Crime. But the judge said that they have no authority to give instructions to any other body. He advised those persons to complain to the Interior Ministry.
Lawyer Yalchin Imanov assessed it as a pressure on the lawyers.
Later, Israfil Mustafayev, an employee of Sabunchu District Police Department testified at the hearing. He said that he doesn’t know the persons who gathered on November 5, 2015 in front of the police department and he wasn’t injured during the incident. He said those persons demanded release of Elchin Gasimov.
Mustafayev also gave testimony similar to Anar Ibrahimov’s.
Employee of Sabunchu District Police Department Siyavush Mirzazade was also questioned at the hearing. He said that he was on duty at the department during the incident that took place on November 5, 2015 in front of the department and he didn’t arrest anyone. Lawyer Yalchin Imanov said that there are contradictions in his testimonies and the witness’s testimony was read out.
Then the judge said that legal heirs of Vugar Nasibov and Ismayil Taghiyev who died during the incident in Nardaran towdship, appealed to the court informing that they are not willing to attend the hearing and make the court responsible for the punishment.
Employee of the Main Directorate for Combating Organized Crime Ibrahim Kazimov who acted as witness and anaggrieved persons, was questioned. He said that he didn’t torture anyone and he can swear to the Holy Quran. However, Abbas Huseynov and other defendants said he tortured. The defendants spit on Kazimov, threw shoes and water bottles at him. And Kazimov threw the shoes back at them.
The process will be resumed on October 17.
Taleh Baghirov faces charges under Criminal Code’s articles #120 (premeditated murder), 120.2.1, 120.2.3, 120.2.4, 120.2.7, 120.2.12, 29, 120 (attempt to premeditated murder), 29,120.2.1, 29,120.2.3 , 29,120.2.4, 120.2.7, 120.2.12 , 228.3 (illegal purchase of firearms), 228.4 (illegal carrying of weapons) and others. On November 26, 2015, law enforcement agencies conducted a special operation in Nardaran township, Baku, arresting Taleh Baghirov and 60 others. Separate criminal proceedings were initiated against some of them and their criminal cases were sent to the Sabunchu district court, which passed verdicts against them.
Fuad Gahramanli was jailed for three months on December 8, 2015. He is charged under the Article 281.1 (public calls for the violent seizure of power) and 283 (inciting national, racial, social or religious enmity and hatred by using violence or threat of violence) and 220.2 (Appeals to active insubordination to legal requirements of representatives of authority and to mass disorders, as well as appeals to violence above citizens) of Azerbaijan’s Criminal Code.
Related news releases
- 25.07.2017Turkish plane is rerouted to Algiers after false bomb alert
- 21.07.2017Magnitude 6.7 quake hits Turkey’s west coast, up to 70 people injured
- 18.07.2017Incident occurred among fans of Samtredia FC and Garabagh FC in Tbilisi
- 05.07.2017452 kg drugs burned in Azerbaijan
- 05.07.2017Azerbaijan initiates criminal case over Armenian provocative acts
- 03.07.2017Alexander Lapshin’s mother to testify in court - UPDATED
- 29.06.2017Baku police issue arrest warrants for ex-diplomat and ex-spokesman of liquidated SSAC
- 28.06.2017Five SOCAR employees injured in the Caspian Sea
- 27.06.2017Petya ransomware virus is back amid cyber attack
- 20.06.2017AZAL aircraft returns to Beijing Airport
- 17.06.2017First president of AFFA Fuad Musayev passed away
- 14.06.2017Smoke detected at crippled Chernobyl power plant
- 12.06.2017Baku police detain person over false bomb threat to mall
- 12.06.2017486 human traffickers brought to justice in 12 years – department chief
- 10.06.2017Energy Minister Natig Aliyev’s body brought to Baku - UPDATED
- 07.06.2017Mother and her two sons died, grandson wounded in a fatal traffic accident in Azerbaijan
- 06.06.2017Azerbaijan’s Interior Ministry prepares list of debtors banned from leaving country
- 03.06.2017Well-known lawyer dies in a motorcycle crash in Baku
- 02.06.2017Powerful mud closes Baku-Shamakhi highway, more than 500 cars remain on the road
- 30.05.2017The General Prosecutor's Office takes the investigation of the suicide attempt of the IDP under special control
- 28.05.2017Gregg Allman, of Allman Brothers Band Fame, Dead at 69
- 27.05.2017Conflict between school children in Azerbaijan ended with the death
- 13.05.2017Azerbaijani businessman goes missing in Ukraine
- 11.05.2017Strong earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Saatli - UPDATED
- 06.05.2017The famous Azerbaijani scientist Rafiga Aliyeva died
- 28.04.2017Trial held in case of Azerbaijani MNS ex-official charged with extortion
- 27.04.2017Turkish forces rescue Russian soldiers in Black Sea
- 25.04.2017SCC: Reports about mass brawl and beating of a customs official are untrue
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijan sends one prosecutor into retirement, replaces two others
- 13.04.2017Trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials continues
- 05.04.2017Two dead, one injured in train-car collision in Azerbaijan
- 29.03.2017The MES spread information about fires in Baku and Shabran
- 29.03.2017Father killed his 7 year-old son with a hammer in Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 25.03.2017Russia puts Armenian, born in Baku, on Interpol wanted list
- 18.03.201710 trucks carrying goods belonging to Azerbaijani companies hijacked in Ukraine
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijan deported over 1,500 foreigners in February
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-employee pleads not guilty - UPDATED
- 03.03.2017About 900 Azerbaijanis joined terrorist groups in Syria, Iraq
- 28.02.2017General Prosecutor's Office warns “Azerbaycan 24” news portal’s editor-in-chief
- 25.02.2017Date of hearing on appeals of those accused of reporter Rasim Aliyev’s death revealed
- 24.10.2016Police raid houses of alleged Nursists in Azerbaijan
- 27.10.2016Azerbaijani student dies after falling from 7th floor of university hostel in Ukraine
- 27.10.2016Azerbaijani State Security Service conducted special operation, two extremists killed - UPDATED
- 14.10.2016Brother of ex-minister of Nakhchivan arrested
- 12.10.2016Azerbaijani footballer Javid Huseynov released from prison
- 12.10.2016Brother stabs 22-year-old sister to death in Azerbaijan's Sumgayit