Azerbaijani Supreme Court orders release of Intigam Aliyev - UPDATED
Deputy Prosecutor General Namig Asgarov defended the cassation appeal at the hearing presided over by Ramiz Rzayev, chairman of the Supreme Court.
Referring to Article #70 of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan, the court decided to release human rights defense Intigam Aliyev and sentence him to a 5-year conditional sentence.
Intigam Aliyev didn’t participate in the hearing.
Intigam Aliyev’s lawyer Javad Javadov asked the court for acquittal of his defendant, noting that they are going to appeal to the European Court of Human Rights.
Aliyev faces charges under the Criminal Code’s articles #213.1 (tax evasion), #308.2 (abuse of power), and #192.2 (illegal business) and #179.3.2 (assignment or waste).
The Baku Court on Grave crimes sentenced Intigam Aliyev to seven years and six months in prison and deprived him of holding any position for three years.
The appeal filed by Intigam Aliyev against the court verdict was dismissed. Then Aliyev submitted a cassation appeal to the Supreme Court.
A few days ago, Prosecutor General Zakir Garalov filed a cassation appeal to the Supreme Court against the verdict on Intigam Aliyev.
Related news releases
- 18.03.201710 trucks carrying goods belonging to Azerbaijani companies hijacked in Ukraine
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijan deported over 1,500 foreigners in February
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-employee pleads not guilty - UPDATED
- 03.03.2017About 900 Azerbaijanis joined terrorist groups in Syria, Iraq
- 28.02.2017General Prosecutor's Office warns “Azerbaycan 24” news portal’s editor-in-chief
- 25.02.2017Date of hearing on appeals of those accused of reporter Rasim Aliyev’s death revealed
- 22.02.2017Prosecutor General's Office: "A criminal case was launched against members of the European Parliament"
- 22.02.2017Witnesses testify in Akif Chovdarov’s trial
- 22.02.2017Experts assess value of property Vidadi Zeynalov wants to put up for sale
- 09.02.2017Azerbaijan prevents drug smuggling from Iran
- 07.02.2017Blogger Alexander Lapshin extradited from Belarus to Azerbaijan - VIDEO - PHOTO
- 07.02.2017Earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Jalilabad region
- 27.01.2017Azerbaijani Interior Ministry holds board meeting
- 23.01.2017ICRC visits Armenian scout imprisoned in Azerbaijan
- 12.01.2017Interior Ministry has filed a petition to the General Prosecutor's Office against Mehman Huseynov
- 10.01.2017SOCAR released information about a fire broke out at a gas pipeline in Sangachal - UPDATED
- 08.01.2017SCC comments on reports about the detention of trucks at the border
- 07.01.2017Iraqi Embassy in Baku issues statement on the murder in “Demirchi Tower” business center
- 20.12.20164 magnitude earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Balaken region
- 04.12.201659 UXOs detected in Azerbaijan’s Gazakh city
- 30.11.20164.3 magnitude earthquake hits the Caspian Sea
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijan announces dates of 2017 holidays
- 26.11.2016Aircraft of Azerbaijani MES successfully eliminates fires in 8 locations in Israel
- 24.11.2016Three killed after car crashes into truck in Azerbaijan
- 23.11.2016Fire breaks out in Baku, one dead
- 19.11.2016People's artist of Azerbaijan Nariman Azimov dies
- 18.11.2016About 1,000 left without home after major fire in Jakarta
- 16.11.2016Ex-Azerbaijani minister pays over 6M manats for causing damage to state
- 15.11.2016IAC publishes a preliminary report on the crash of the cargo aircraft AN-12 in Afghanistan
- 11.11.2016Patient slashes throat with razor blade in Baku
- 08.11.2016Ganimat Zahid's relatives, who are in prison, repudiated him
- 07.11.2016Testimonies of some witnesses on criminal case of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-employees revealed
- 29.10.2016Snakes attack Ismayilli’s Kurdmashi village, 40 venomous reptiles killed
- 29.10.2016Fire breaks out in two cafes in Sumgayit, 3 poisoned by smoke, 12 evacuated
- 27.10.2016Azerbaijani State Security Service conducted special operation, two extremists killed - UPDATED
- 27.10.2016Azerbaijani student dies after falling from 7th floor of university hostel in Ukraine
- 24.10.2016Police raid houses of alleged Nursists in Azerbaijan
- 14.10.2016Baku court continues trial in ‘Nardaran case’
- 14.10.2016Brother of ex-minister of Nakhchivan arrested
- 12.10.2016Azerbaijani footballer Javid Huseynov released from prison
- 28.03.2016Intigam Aliyev released
- 30.03.2016Famous Azerbaijani singer loses $200,000 in bankrupt bank
- 31.03.2016One of IS militants behind Dagestan explosion turns out to be Azerbaijani
- 26.03.2016Interior Ministry reacts to incident in Lankaran
- 26.03.2016Belarusian citizen detained after attempting to enter Baku Metro through ventilation system
- 26.03.2016Female inmate commits suicide in Azerbaijan