Azerbaijani football player jailed for 4 years
Baku. Shahriyar Alizade – APA. Baku’s Sabail district court on Tuesday completed the hearing on the case of football player Javid Huseynov accused of the death of journalist Rasim Aliyev.
During the hearing presided over by judge Elmar Rahimov, the court sentenced the football player to 4-year imprisonment.
Earlier, a state prosecutor demanded the court to sentence Huseynov to four years in prison. Huseynov and his lawyer rejected the accusations and asked the court for acquittal.
On Aug. 8, 2015 reporter Rasim Aliyev was beaten by a group of unknown persons in Baku’s Bayil settlement and died in the hospital he had been admitted to with numerous bodily injuries. The bill of indictment on the cases of Kanan Madatov, Jamal Mammadov, and Samir Mustafayev (charged with deliberate causing of serious harm to health, on imprudence entailed to death of a victim (Article 126.3)) as well as Elshan Ismayilov and Arif Aliyev (charged with theft (Article 177.1)) have been confirmed and submitted to the Baku Court of Grave Crimes.
Another criminal case in separate proceedings has been opened on charging Javid Huseynov with not informing about crimes and obviously not promised concealment of crimes (Article 307.1) and with obviously not promised concealment of minor serious crimes (Article 307.2) and will soon be sent to the court.
Baku Court of Grave Crimes passed a verdict against those guilty of journalist Rasim Aliyev’s death. Thus, Elshan Ismayilov has been sentenced to 13 years in prison, Arif Aliyev – 12.6 years, Jamal Mammadov – 11 years, Samir Mustafayev and Kanan Madatov – 9 years each. They appealed against the decision.
The football club "Gabala" issued a statement due to reporter Rasim Aliyev’s death. Mentioning the name of a football player Javid Huseynov in connection with this incident has caused deep regret. Despite the fact that Javid Huseynov is a very important player for the team "Gabala", he was removed from the core team until the situation is clear.
The club stated that the issue will be investigated fairly, transparently and objectively and all the perpetrators will be punished.
Related news releases
- 20.10.2017Municipal candidate of Azerbaijani origin shot in Georgia
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijan neutralized 99 criminal groups of 228 persons this year
- 14.10.2017Baku police detain members of gang committing robbery against foreigners
- 06.10.2017Prison term for Gozal Bayramli extended
- 03.10.2017Court rejects Rauf Mirgadirov’s appeal
- 01.10.2017Magnitude 5.3 earthquake hits Russia's Kamchatka peninsula
- 29.09.2017Lotfi Zadeh’s body brought to Baku
- 27.09.2017Quake hits Azerbaijan’s Shamakhi
- 27.09.2017Seven people killed in car crash in Azerbaijan identified - UPDATED
- 23.09.2017Azerbaijan sends helicopter to Georgia to tackle forest fires
- 22.09.2017OPEC and non-OPEC countries to discuss oil export monitoring mechanism
- 19.09.20174 women killed, 3 others injured in severe traffic accident in Azerbaijan
- 15.09.2017Azerbaijani minister's son died
- 14.09.2017Alexander Lapshin left Azerbaijan
- 08.09.201726 of 39 poisoned people at the wedding in Tovuz, discharged home - UPDATED - 3
- 07.09.2017Court to consider Mehman Aliyev’s appeal on Sept.8
- 03.09.2017183 UXOs detected in Azerbaijan’s Khizi region
- 02.09.2017Ministry: The strong wind expands the fire area in Gabala
- 31.08.2017Forest fire in Oguz region spread to the territory of the Shahdag National Park
- 31.08.2017Court refuses to commute Afgan Mukhtarli’s detention to house arrest
- 30.08.2017Akif Chovdarov’s lawyer asks court for one month to prepare speech
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijan State Security Service prevents smuggling of 44kg drugs
- 30.08.2017119 UXOs and 227 EBOs detected in Khizi region of Azerbaijan
- 29.08.2017Helicopter involved in extinguishing forest fires in Azerbaijan
- 28.08.2017Criminal case against Natig Jafarli terminated
- 26.08.2017The first staff of the rescue and fire-fighting team of the MES returned to country from Georgia
- 26.08.2017Azerbaijan’s helicopter involved in tackling fires in Georgia today as well
- 23.08.2017Azerbaijan's firefighters continue to battle Georgia wildfires, set up field tents
- 22.08.2017Azerbaijani ministry’s rescue team involved in extinguishing forest fires in Georgia
- 21.08.2017Azerbaijan sends helicopter to help Georgia tackle forest fires
- 14.08.2017Large amount of money and jewelry stolen in house in Baku
- 10.08.2017The Ministry of Emergency Situations disseminates information on the fire in Binagadi district
- 06.08.2017Fire occurs at the dormitory in Sumgayit, 15 residents rescued, 20 were evacuated
- 03.08.20172 killed, 1 injured in a fatal traffic accident in Baku
- 26.07.2017Reasons of suicide committed in Shamkir known - UPDATED
- 25.07.2017Turkish plane is rerouted to Algiers after false bomb alert
- 21.07.2017Magnitude 6.7 quake hits Turkey’s west coast, up to 70 people injured
- 18.07.2017Incident occurred among fans of Samtredia FC and Garabagh FC in Tbilisi
- 05.07.2017452 kg drugs burned in Azerbaijan
- 05.07.2017Azerbaijan initiates criminal case over Armenian provocative acts
- 31.05.2016Investigation into APFP deputy chairman’s case completed
- 31.05.2016Investigation into Taleh Baghirov’s case completed
- 01.06.2016Two persons arrested over case of Azerbaijani Int’l Bank released
- 30.05.2016Two police officers killed in PKK bomb attack in Turkey’s east
- 30.05.2016Snake bites 10-year-old boy in Azerbaijan
- 27.05.2016Woman, 47, dies of rabies in Azerbaijan