Azerbaijani football player jailed for 4 years
Baku. Shahriyar Alizade – APA. Baku’s Sabail district court on Tuesday completed the hearing on the case of football player Javid Huseynov accused of the death of journalist Rasim Aliyev.
During the hearing presided over by judge Elmar Rahimov, the court sentenced the football player to 4-year imprisonment.
Earlier, a state prosecutor demanded the court to sentence Huseynov to four years in prison. Huseynov and his lawyer rejected the accusations and asked the court for acquittal.
On Aug. 8, 2015 reporter Rasim Aliyev was beaten by a group of unknown persons in Baku’s Bayil settlement and died in the hospital he had been admitted to with numerous bodily injuries. The bill of indictment on the cases of Kanan Madatov, Jamal Mammadov, and Samir Mustafayev (charged with deliberate causing of serious harm to health, on imprudence entailed to death of a victim (Article 126.3)) as well as Elshan Ismayilov and Arif Aliyev (charged with theft (Article 177.1)) have been confirmed and submitted to the Baku Court of Grave Crimes.
Another criminal case in separate proceedings has been opened on charging Javid Huseynov with not informing about crimes and obviously not promised concealment of crimes (Article 307.1) and with obviously not promised concealment of minor serious crimes (Article 307.2) and will soon be sent to the court.
Baku Court of Grave Crimes passed a verdict against those guilty of journalist Rasim Aliyev’s death. Thus, Elshan Ismayilov has been sentenced to 13 years in prison, Arif Aliyev – 12.6 years, Jamal Mammadov – 11 years, Samir Mustafayev and Kanan Madatov – 9 years each. They appealed against the decision.
The football club "Gabala" issued a statement due to reporter Rasim Aliyev’s death. Mentioning the name of a football player Javid Huseynov in connection with this incident has caused deep regret. Despite the fact that Javid Huseynov is a very important player for the team "Gabala", he was removed from the core team until the situation is clear.
The club stated that the issue will be investigated fairly, transparently and objectively and all the perpetrators will be punished.
Related news releases
- 29.03.2017The MES spread information about fires in Baku and Shabran
- 29.03.2017Father killed his 7 year-old son with a hammer in Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 25.03.2017Russia puts Armenian, born in Baku, on Interpol wanted list
- 18.03.201710 trucks carrying goods belonging to Azerbaijani companies hijacked in Ukraine
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijan deported over 1,500 foreigners in February
- 07.03.2017Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-employee pleads not guilty - UPDATED
- 03.03.2017About 900 Azerbaijanis joined terrorist groups in Syria, Iraq
- 28.02.2017General Prosecutor's Office warns “Azerbaycan 24” news portal’s editor-in-chief
- 25.02.2017Date of hearing on appeals of those accused of reporter Rasim Aliyev’s death revealed
- 22.02.2017Prosecutor General's Office: "A criminal case was launched against members of the European Parliament"
- 22.02.2017Witnesses testify in Akif Chovdarov’s trial
- 22.02.2017Experts assess value of property Vidadi Zeynalov wants to put up for sale
- 09.02.2017Azerbaijan prevents drug smuggling from Iran
- 07.02.2017Blogger Alexander Lapshin extradited from Belarus to Azerbaijan - VIDEO - PHOTO
- 07.02.2017Earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Jalilabad region
- 27.01.2017Azerbaijani Interior Ministry holds board meeting
- 23.01.2017ICRC visits Armenian scout imprisoned in Azerbaijan
- 12.01.2017Interior Ministry has filed a petition to the General Prosecutor's Office against Mehman Huseynov
- 10.01.2017SOCAR released information about a fire broke out at a gas pipeline in Sangachal - UPDATED
- 08.01.2017SCC comments on reports about the detention of trucks at the border
- 07.01.2017Iraqi Embassy in Baku issues statement on the murder in “Demirchi Tower” business center
- 20.12.20164 magnitude earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Balaken region
- 04.12.201659 UXOs detected in Azerbaijan’s Gazakh city
- 30.11.20164.3 magnitude earthquake hits the Caspian Sea
- 29.11.2016Azerbaijan announces dates of 2017 holidays
- 26.11.2016Aircraft of Azerbaijani MES successfully eliminates fires in 8 locations in Israel
- 24.11.2016Three killed after car crashes into truck in Azerbaijan
- 23.11.2016Fire breaks out in Baku, one dead
- 19.11.2016People's artist of Azerbaijan Nariman Azimov dies
- 18.11.2016About 1,000 left without home after major fire in Jakarta
- 16.11.2016Ex-Azerbaijani minister pays over 6M manats for causing damage to state
- 15.11.2016IAC publishes a preliminary report on the crash of the cargo aircraft AN-12 in Afghanistan
- 11.11.2016Patient slashes throat with razor blade in Baku
- 08.11.2016Ganimat Zahid's relatives, who are in prison, repudiated him
- 07.11.2016Testimonies of some witnesses on criminal case of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-employees revealed
- 29.10.2016Snakes attack Ismayilli’s Kurdmashi village, 40 venomous reptiles killed
- 29.10.2016Fire breaks out in two cafes in Sumgayit, 3 poisoned by smoke, 12 evacuated
- 27.10.2016Azerbaijani State Security Service conducted special operation, two extremists killed - UPDATED
- 27.10.2016Azerbaijani student dies after falling from 7th floor of university hostel in Ukraine
- 24.10.2016Police raid houses of alleged Nursists in Azerbaijan
- 31.05.2016Investigation into APFP deputy chairman’s case completed
- 31.05.2016Investigation into Taleh Baghirov’s case completed
- 01.06.2016Two persons arrested over case of Azerbaijani Int’l Bank released
- 30.05.2016Two police officers killed in PKK bomb attack in Turkey’s east
- 30.05.2016Snake bites 10-year-old boy in Azerbaijan
- 27.05.2016Woman, 47, dies of rabies in Azerbaijan