Azerbaijani football player jailed for 4 years
Baku. Shahriyar Alizade – APA. Baku’s Sabail district court on Tuesday completed the hearing on the case of football player Javid Huseynov accused of the death of journalist Rasim Aliyev.
During the hearing presided over by judge Elmar Rahimov, the court sentenced the football player to 4-year imprisonment.
Earlier, a state prosecutor demanded the court to sentence Huseynov to four years in prison. Huseynov and his lawyer rejected the accusations and asked the court for acquittal.
On Aug. 8, 2015 reporter Rasim Aliyev was beaten by a group of unknown persons in Baku’s Bayil settlement and died in the hospital he had been admitted to with numerous bodily injuries. The bill of indictment on the cases of Kanan Madatov, Jamal Mammadov, and Samir Mustafayev (charged with deliberate causing of serious harm to health, on imprudence entailed to death of a victim (Article 126.3)) as well as Elshan Ismayilov and Arif Aliyev (charged with theft (Article 177.1)) have been confirmed and submitted to the Baku Court of Grave Crimes.
Another criminal case in separate proceedings has been opened on charging Javid Huseynov with not informing about crimes and obviously not promised concealment of crimes (Article 307.1) and with obviously not promised concealment of minor serious crimes (Article 307.2) and will soon be sent to the court.
Baku Court of Grave Crimes passed a verdict against those guilty of journalist Rasim Aliyev’s death. Thus, Elshan Ismayilov has been sentenced to 13 years in prison, Arif Aliyev – 12.6 years, Jamal Mammadov – 11 years, Samir Mustafayev and Kanan Madatov – 9 years each. They appealed against the decision.
The football club "Gabala" issued a statement due to reporter Rasim Aliyev’s death. Mentioning the name of a football player Javid Huseynov in connection with this incident has caused deep regret. Despite the fact that Javid Huseynov is a very important player for the team "Gabala", he was removed from the core team until the situation is clear.
The club stated that the issue will be investigated fairly, transparently and objectively and all the perpetrators will be punished.
Related news releases
- 14.08.2017Large amount of money and jewelry stolen in house in Baku
- 10.08.2017The Ministry of Emergency Situations disseminates information on the fire in Binagadi district
- 06.08.2017Fire occurs at the dormitory in Sumgayit, 15 residents rescued, 20 were evacuated
- 03.08.20172 killed, 1 injured in a fatal traffic accident in Baku
- 26.07.2017Reasons of suicide committed in Shamkir known - UPDATED
- 25.07.2017Turkish plane is rerouted to Algiers after false bomb alert
- 21.07.2017Magnitude 6.7 quake hits Turkey’s west coast, up to 70 people injured
- 18.07.2017Incident occurred among fans of Samtredia FC and Garabagh FC in Tbilisi
- 05.07.2017452 kg drugs burned in Azerbaijan
- 05.07.2017Azerbaijan initiates criminal case over Armenian provocative acts
- 03.07.2017Alexander Lapshin’s mother to testify in court - UPDATED
- 29.06.2017Baku police issue arrest warrants for ex-diplomat and ex-spokesman of liquidated SSAC
- 28.06.2017Five SOCAR employees injured in the Caspian Sea
- 27.06.2017Petya ransomware virus is back amid cyber attack
- 20.06.2017AZAL aircraft returns to Beijing Airport
- 17.06.2017First president of AFFA Fuad Musayev passed away
- 14.06.2017Smoke detected at crippled Chernobyl power plant
- 12.06.2017Baku police detain person over false bomb threat to mall
- 12.06.2017486 human traffickers brought to justice in 12 years – department chief
- 10.06.2017Energy Minister Natig Aliyev’s body brought to Baku - UPDATED
- 07.06.2017Mother and her two sons died, grandson wounded in a fatal traffic accident in Azerbaijan
- 06.06.2017Azerbaijan’s Interior Ministry prepares list of debtors banned from leaving country
- 03.06.2017Well-known lawyer dies in a motorcycle crash in Baku
- 02.06.2017Powerful mud closes Baku-Shamakhi highway, more than 500 cars remain on the road
- 30.05.2017The General Prosecutor's Office takes the investigation of the suicide attempt of the IDP under special control
- 28.05.2017Gregg Allman, of Allman Brothers Band Fame, Dead at 69
- 27.05.2017Conflict between school children in Azerbaijan ended with the death
- 13.05.2017Azerbaijani businessman goes missing in Ukraine
- 11.05.2017Strong earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Saatli - UPDATED
- 06.05.2017The famous Azerbaijani scientist Rafiga Aliyeva died
- 28.04.2017Trial held in case of Azerbaijani MNS ex-official charged with extortion
- 27.04.2017Turkish forces rescue Russian soldiers in Black Sea
- 25.04.2017SCC: Reports about mass brawl and beating of a customs official are untrue
- 21.04.2017Azerbaijan sends one prosecutor into retirement, replaces two others
- 13.04.2017Trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials continues
- 05.04.2017Two dead, one injured in train-car collision in Azerbaijan
- 29.03.2017The MES spread information about fires in Baku and Shabran
- 29.03.2017Father killed his 7 year-old son with a hammer in Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 25.03.2017Russia puts Armenian, born in Baku, on Interpol wanted list
- 18.03.201710 trucks carrying goods belonging to Azerbaijani companies hijacked in Ukraine
- 31.05.2016Investigation into APFP deputy chairman’s case completed
- 31.05.2016Investigation into Taleh Baghirov’s case completed
- 01.06.2016Two persons arrested over case of Azerbaijani Int’l Bank released
- 30.05.2016Two police officers killed in PKK bomb attack in Turkey’s east
- 30.05.2016Snake bites 10-year-old boy in Azerbaijan
- 27.05.2016Woman, 47, dies of rabies in Azerbaijan