Trial resumed for Azerbaijani security ministry’s ex-employees
Baku’s Sabunchu district court on Monday continued the trial in the criminal case involving Major General Akif Chovdarov, former head of the main energy and transport security directorate under the liquidated Ministry of National Security (MNS) of Azerbaijan, and ministry's some ex-employees arrested alongside him.
During the closed-door trial presided over by Baku Military Court chairman Habib Hasanov, witnesses gave testimony on the episode of Bilajari municipality’s former head Ibrahim Khalilov.
In his testimony, witness Natiq Humbatov said he is a relative of Akif Chovdarov, lawyer Sadiq Rasulov told reporters.
Humbatov said he first met Ibrahim Khalilov, who is recognized as a victim on the criminal case, in Chovdarov’s house.
“After Chovdarov was arrested, Khalilov told me said he ‘owes 60,000 manats to Chovdarov, noting that the bill of debt was formalized in my name. He asked me to take a document by a notary. The document was necessary to point out that Khalilov had no debt to me. I fulfilled his request,” Humbatov said.
Then, Akif Chovdarov’s son-in-law Rovshan Gasimov testified, confirmed his desire to want plot of land from Khalilov.
He said Akif Chovdarov had nothing to do with the matter, he didn’t put pressure on Khalilov.
Binagadi municipality’s former head gave additional testimony of Khalilov’s episode.
He noted that Ilham Khalilov took 16,000 manats from him to give to Chovdarov.
“Ilham Khalilov took 16,000 manats from me along with 150 000 manats. He said I would meet the expenses of construction of the first floor of country house of Akif Chovdarov in Novkhani and he would meet the expenses of other floors,” he added.
Chovdarov refuted his claims. “I protest against the prosecutor’s office. They brought dishonest people to testify against the general.”
A break was announced at the trial.
Akif Chovdarov faces charges under Articles 145.3 (illegal deprivation of freedom of a person, causing to the death of the victim or other serious consequences by negligence), 179.3.1, 179.3.2 (embezzlement or waste by an organized group on a large scale), 181.3.1, 181.3.2 (robbery committed by an organized group in order to seize the property on a large scale), 182.3.1, 182.3.2 (extortion, committed by an organized group in order to obtain property on a large scale), 228.4 (illegal purchase, selling or carrying of gas weapon, cold steel, including throwing weapon), 302.1, 302.2 (implementation operative - search actions by not authorized persons, as well as implementation of these actions by authorized persons, but without grounds provided by the legislation, entailed essential, and the same acts committed with use of special means, intended for secret dredging the information), 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4 (bribe-taking by a group of persons on preliminary arrangement, committed repeatedly on a large scale with the use of threats), 313 (service forgery), 341.2.1, 341.2.2, 241.2.3 (abusing authority, excess or inactivity of authority committed by a group of persons, committed with the use of weapons, resulted in grave consequences) of the Criminal Code. The former head of the first department of the ministry’s main directorate Salim Mammadov is charged under articles 145.3, 179.3.1, 179.3.2, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.1, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 313, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3; the former head of the second department Akif Aliyev is charged under articles 145.3, 179.3.1, 179.3.2, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 313, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3; the former deputy head of the first division of the third department Orkhan Osmanov is charged under 145.3, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3.
The court ordered seizure on property and cash worth of 33,466,000, trade and service sectors, greenhouses, aquaculture farms and other property complexes, land plots worth of 8,967,000 manats, private houses, apartments and vehicles worth of 24,445,000 manats, jewelry worth of 37,000 manats belonging to the accused persons –- Akif Chovdarov, Salim Mammadov, Akif Aliyev and Orkhan Osmanov to compensate damage caused to the aggrieved persons.
Related news releases
- 30.03.2017Interior Ministry: Mass destruction of graves in Baku Christian cemetery out of the question
- 30.03.2017One of three Azerbaijanis arrested in Libya on smuggling charges dies
- 30.03.2017Truck-car collision in Azerbaijan leaves one dead, two injured
- 28.03.2017Business partner of former Azerbaijani minister’s son on Interpol wanted list
- 27.03.2017Azerbaijan’s Interior Ministry comments on death of detainee at police department - UPDATED
- 24.03.2017Alexander Lapshin meets mother
- 24.03.201710 died, 39 injured in traffic accidents in Azerbaijan during holidays
- 23.03.2017Two detained in Baku on suspicion of hooligan acts against Iranian citizen
- 23.03.2017Azerbaijani man commits suicide after murdering mother
- 22.03.2017Road accident in Barda claims lives of two, other four injured
- 22.03.2017Body found in Caspian Sea identified: Headquarters
- 22.03.2017Azerbaijani citizen wanted by Interpol for serious crime detained
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani State Security Service prevents illegal distribution of ecstasy
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijani man, sentenced to life in 2007, gets sentence reduced
- 15.03.2017Metro station "28 May" is open to passengers after smoke prevented
- 15.03.2017Body recovered from Caspian Sea identified as missing Azerbaijani oilman - UPDATED
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijan initiates criminal case over death of five people from carbon monoxide poisoning
- 15.03.2017College director: Death of two of our students is a big tragedy
- 15.03.2017Victims identified in fatal carbon monoxide poisoning in Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijani police to tighten security for Novruz celebrations
- 14.03.2017Three detained over murder of Azerbaijani poet’s son
- 14.03.2017Georgian police detain Azerbaijani citizen over keeping firearms
- 13.03.2017Another male corpse found in Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea
- 13.03.2017Former Azerbaijani police officer dies in prison
- 10.03.2017Grenade blasts in teahouse in Ismayilli, two injured
- 10.03.2017State Security Service eliminates firearm smugglers
- 10.03.2017Boat overturns in Caspian Sea, fishermen rescued by helicopter - UPDATED
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan detains three for attempting to smuggle large quantities of dollars and gold bullions
- 10.03.20177 killed, 24 injured in Azerbaijan road accidents in one day
- 09.03.2017Criminal case initiated over fatal road accident in Baku
- 09.03.2017Azerbaijan detained 37 trespassers in February
- 09.03.2017Five killed in Baku minibus crash identified - UPDATED-3
- 04.03.2017Lapshin allowed to telephone his relatives
- 04.03.2017One more corpse found in Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea
- 03.03.2017Blogger Mehman Huseynov arrested in courtroom
- 02.03.2017Body recovered from Caspian Sea identified as missing Azerbaijani oilman
- 28.02.2017Dead body found in Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea
- 28.02.2017Earthquake hits Armenia, tremors also felt in Azerbaijan
- 27.02.2017Akif Chovdrov’s trial continues Monday - UPDATED
- 27.02.2017Azerbaijan arrests narcological dispensary chief physician on bribery charges
- 16.01.2017Taleh Baghirov’s trial resumed
- 18.01.2017Venue changed for trial of imprisoned generals of Azerbaijani national security ministry
- 18.01.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
- 16.01.2017Azerbaijan initiates 159 criminal cases over corruption-related crimes in 2016
- 16.01.2017Criminal case against ex-employees of Azerbaijani communications and high-tech ministry sent to court
- 16.01.2017Traffic to be restricted on some roads of Baku on January 20 - National Mourning Day