Trial resumed for Azerbaijani security ministry’s ex-employees
Baku’s Sabunchu district court on Monday continued the trial in the criminal case involving Major General Akif Chovdarov, former head of the main energy and transport security directorate under the liquidated Ministry of National Security (MNS) of Azerbaijan, and ministry's some ex-employees arrested alongside him.
During the closed-door trial presided over by Baku Military Court chairman Habib Hasanov, witnesses gave testimony on the episode of Bilajari municipality’s former head Ibrahim Khalilov.
In his testimony, witness Natiq Humbatov said he is a relative of Akif Chovdarov, lawyer Sadiq Rasulov told reporters.
Humbatov said he first met Ibrahim Khalilov, who is recognized as a victim on the criminal case, in Chovdarov’s house.
“After Chovdarov was arrested, Khalilov told me said he ‘owes 60,000 manats to Chovdarov, noting that the bill of debt was formalized in my name. He asked me to take a document by a notary. The document was necessary to point out that Khalilov had no debt to me. I fulfilled his request,” Humbatov said.
Then, Akif Chovdarov’s son-in-law Rovshan Gasimov testified, confirmed his desire to want plot of land from Khalilov.
He said Akif Chovdarov had nothing to do with the matter, he didn’t put pressure on Khalilov.
Binagadi municipality’s former head gave additional testimony of Khalilov’s episode.
He noted that Ilham Khalilov took 16,000 manats from him to give to Chovdarov.
“Ilham Khalilov took 16,000 manats from me along with 150 000 manats. He said I would meet the expenses of construction of the first floor of country house of Akif Chovdarov in Novkhani and he would meet the expenses of other floors,” he added.
Chovdarov refuted his claims. “I protest against the prosecutor’s office. They brought dishonest people to testify against the general.”
A break was announced at the trial.
Akif Chovdarov faces charges under Articles 145.3 (illegal deprivation of freedom of a person, causing to the death of the victim or other serious consequences by negligence), 179.3.1, 179.3.2 (embezzlement or waste by an organized group on a large scale), 181.3.1, 181.3.2 (robbery committed by an organized group in order to seize the property on a large scale), 182.3.1, 182.3.2 (extortion, committed by an organized group in order to obtain property on a large scale), 228.4 (illegal purchase, selling or carrying of gas weapon, cold steel, including throwing weapon), 302.1, 302.2 (implementation operative - search actions by not authorized persons, as well as implementation of these actions by authorized persons, but without grounds provided by the legislation, entailed essential, and the same acts committed with use of special means, intended for secret dredging the information), 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4 (bribe-taking by a group of persons on preliminary arrangement, committed repeatedly on a large scale with the use of threats), 313 (service forgery), 341.2.1, 341.2.2, 241.2.3 (abusing authority, excess or inactivity of authority committed by a group of persons, committed with the use of weapons, resulted in grave consequences) of the Criminal Code. The former head of the first department of the ministry’s main directorate Salim Mammadov is charged under articles 145.3, 179.3.1, 179.3.2, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.1, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 313, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3; the former head of the second department Akif Aliyev is charged under articles 145.3, 179.3.1, 179.3.2, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 313, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3; the former deputy head of the first division of the third department Orkhan Osmanov is charged under 145.3, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3.
The court ordered seizure on property and cash worth of 33,466,000, trade and service sectors, greenhouses, aquaculture farms and other property complexes, land plots worth of 8,967,000 manats, private houses, apartments and vehicles worth of 24,445,000 manats, jewelry worth of 37,000 manats belonging to the accused persons –- Akif Chovdarov, Salim Mammadov, Akif Aliyev and Orkhan Osmanov to compensate damage caused to the aggrieved persons.
Related news releases
- 28.06.2017Man migrated with Musavat's fake membership card declared wanted
- 28.06.2017Men raided country house in Baku, beat guard, then set fire to house
- 28.06.201710 died in traffic accidents in Azerbaijan during holidays
- 21.06.2017Lawyers seek acquittal for Vidadi Zeynalov
- 21.06.2017Former Baku Metro chief testifies at trial of national security ministry’s ex-employees
- 21.06.2017Child poisoned to death by own mother in Azerbaijan
- 20.06.2017ANAMA: Two Azerbaijan citizens injured in mine blast on Turkey-Iran border - UPDATED
- 20.06.2017Armenians seeking to be a “hero” on paper: Azerbaijani MoD
- 20.06.2017US embassy car crashes in Baku
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijan issues int’l arrest warrant for 5 people accused of abduction
- 19.06.2017Secretary of Malaysian embassy gets into road accident in Baku
- 17.06.2017Baku court begins trial in International Bank employee’s case
- 16.06.2017Russian court extends prison sentence of Azerbaijani national accused of recruiting students for terror organizations
- 14.06.2017Trial continues for ex-ministry official Vidadi Zeynalov charged with embezzlement
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijan detains 32 trespassers in May
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office denies MP’s statement on Afgan Mukhtarli
- 10.06.2017Fire at Baku Sadarak Trade Center localized- UPDATED
- 09.06.2017Man kills his parents in Masalli region
- 09.06.2017Ex-ministry official Beytulla Huseynov, accused of embezzlement, pays for damage caused to state
- 09.06.2017Man stabs his wife, two minor children to death in Azerbaijan’s Mingachevir
- 07.06.2017Hilal Asadov testifies in Akif Chovdarov’s trial
- 07.06.2017UAE embassy gets into accident in Baku
- 06.06.2017Azerbaijan, Russia hold joint cross-border operations
- 06.06.2017Azerbaijan completes investigation of 73 corruption-related cases since early 2017
- 06.06.2017Baku court dismisses appeal by Afgan Mukhtarli
- 06.06.2017Fortune teller detained in Baku
- 05.06.2017Akif Chovdarov's trial continues
- 02.06.2017Court denies APFP deputy chairperson’s appeal
- 02.06.2017Trial in case of ex-ministry official Vidadi Zeynalov continues
- 01.06.2017Court denies appeal filed by former IBA head
- 01.06.2017Azerbaijani SBS, Prosecutor General’s Office release statement on journalist Afgan Mukhtarli’s arrest
- 31.05.2017Journalist Afgan Mukhtarli put in 3-month pretrial detention
- 31.05.2017Azerbaijani court resumes trial in ex-ministry official's case
- 31.05.2017Prosecutor General's Office comments on journalist Afgan Mukhtarli’s detention
- 30.05.2017Gozal Bayramli has traveled to Georgia 41 times since early 2015: official statement
- 30.05.2017Criminal case opened over Baku car crash that killed police officer - UPDATED
- 27.05.2017Anti-pedestrian mine found in Jojuq Marjanli
- 27.05.2017One-year-old boy dies after being hit by dad’s car in Azerbaijan
- 27.05.2017SSS head: No provocation committed during Islamic Solidarity Games
- 27.05.2017State Security Service transferred information about spy network to Defense Ministry - minister
- 16.01.2017Taleh Baghirov’s trial resumed
- 18.01.2017Venue changed for trial of imprisoned generals of Azerbaijani national security ministry
- 18.01.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
- 16.01.2017Azerbaijan initiates 159 criminal cases over corruption-related crimes in 2016
- 16.01.2017Criminal case against ex-employees of Azerbaijani communications and high-tech ministry sent to court
- 16.01.2017Traffic to be restricted on some roads of Baku on January 20 - National Mourning Day