Trial resumed for Azerbaijani security ministry’s ex-employees
Baku’s Sabunchu district court on Monday continued the trial in the criminal case involving Major General Akif Chovdarov, former head of the main energy and transport security directorate under the liquidated Ministry of National Security (MNS) of Azerbaijan, and ministry's some ex-employees arrested alongside him.
During the closed-door trial presided over by Baku Military Court chairman Habib Hasanov, witnesses gave testimony on the episode of Bilajari municipality’s former head Ibrahim Khalilov.
In his testimony, witness Natiq Humbatov said he is a relative of Akif Chovdarov, lawyer Sadiq Rasulov told reporters.
Humbatov said he first met Ibrahim Khalilov, who is recognized as a victim on the criminal case, in Chovdarov’s house.
“After Chovdarov was arrested, Khalilov told me said he ‘owes 60,000 manats to Chovdarov, noting that the bill of debt was formalized in my name. He asked me to take a document by a notary. The document was necessary to point out that Khalilov had no debt to me. I fulfilled his request,” Humbatov said.
Then, Akif Chovdarov’s son-in-law Rovshan Gasimov testified, confirmed his desire to want plot of land from Khalilov.
He said Akif Chovdarov had nothing to do with the matter, he didn’t put pressure on Khalilov.
Binagadi municipality’s former head gave additional testimony of Khalilov’s episode.
He noted that Ilham Khalilov took 16,000 manats from him to give to Chovdarov.
“Ilham Khalilov took 16,000 manats from me along with 150 000 manats. He said I would meet the expenses of construction of the first floor of country house of Akif Chovdarov in Novkhani and he would meet the expenses of other floors,” he added.
Chovdarov refuted his claims. “I protest against the prosecutor’s office. They brought dishonest people to testify against the general.”
A break was announced at the trial.
Akif Chovdarov faces charges under Articles 145.3 (illegal deprivation of freedom of a person, causing to the death of the victim or other serious consequences by negligence), 179.3.1, 179.3.2 (embezzlement or waste by an organized group on a large scale), 181.3.1, 181.3.2 (robbery committed by an organized group in order to seize the property on a large scale), 182.3.1, 182.3.2 (extortion, committed by an organized group in order to obtain property on a large scale), 228.4 (illegal purchase, selling or carrying of gas weapon, cold steel, including throwing weapon), 302.1, 302.2 (implementation operative - search actions by not authorized persons, as well as implementation of these actions by authorized persons, but without grounds provided by the legislation, entailed essential, and the same acts committed with use of special means, intended for secret dredging the information), 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4 (bribe-taking by a group of persons on preliminary arrangement, committed repeatedly on a large scale with the use of threats), 313 (service forgery), 341.2.1, 341.2.2, 241.2.3 (abusing authority, excess or inactivity of authority committed by a group of persons, committed with the use of weapons, resulted in grave consequences) of the Criminal Code. The former head of the first department of the ministry’s main directorate Salim Mammadov is charged under articles 145.3, 179.3.1, 179.3.2, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.1, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 313, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3; the former head of the second department Akif Aliyev is charged under articles 145.3, 179.3.1, 179.3.2, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 313, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3; the former deputy head of the first division of the third department Orkhan Osmanov is charged under 145.3, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3.
The court ordered seizure on property and cash worth of 33,466,000, trade and service sectors, greenhouses, aquaculture farms and other property complexes, land plots worth of 8,967,000 manats, private houses, apartments and vehicles worth of 24,445,000 manats, jewelry worth of 37,000 manats belonging to the accused persons –- Akif Chovdarov, Salim Mammadov, Akif Aliyev and Orkhan Osmanov to compensate damage caused to the aggrieved persons.
Related news releases
- 23.10.2017Azerbaijani citizen gets 21 years in prison for murdering two in Russia
- 23.10.2017Azerbaijani Prosecutor General’s Office initiates criminal case against two escaped convicts - UPDATED-2
- 23.10.2017Woman attempts to break into Azerbaijani embassy in Moscow
- 23.10.2017Inmate dies of illness in Azerbaijan
- 19.10.2017Car belonging to EU Delegation in Azerbaijan crashes in Baku
- 19.10.2017Suspects in murder of Iranian student in Baku involved in another crime, law enforcement say
- 19.10.2017Baku police arrest man who stole safe containing large amount of cash nine years ago
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani Security Service seizes counterfeit excise stamps
- 17.10.2017Five arrested for murdering Iranian student in Azerbaijan
- 17.10.201740 unexploded shells found in Azerbaijan’s Sumgayit
- 17.10.2017Baku court holds preliminary hearing on appeal of Vidadi Zeynalov
- 17.10.2017ANAMA: Demining ops launched after weapons storage blast in Khizi to be completed by year-end
- 16.10.2017Worker dies after falling into elevator shaft into SOCAR administrative building
- 14.10.2017Truck carrying passenger vehicles over overturns in Azerbaijan’s Salyan
- 14.10.2017US Embassy car involved in accident in Baku
- 13.10.2017Unexploded ammunition found in Baku
- 13.10.2017Person accused of committing grave crime in Ukraine detained aboard Kyiv-Baku flight
- 13.10.2017Court extends Afgan Mukhtarli’s pretrial detention
- 12.10.2017Azerbaijani court issues verdict against Ramin Hajili and others who sought to get U.S. visa with fake documents
- 12.10.2017Supreme Court considers appeal by IBA ex-chairman
- 11.10.2017Brother of Abulfaz Elchibey dies
- 09.10.2017Banking-related criminal cases submitted to courts in Azerbaijan increase in numbers
- 09.10.2017Mother, underage son die from carbon monoxide poisoning in Baku
- 09.10.2017Kazakh military attaché involved in car crash in Baku
- 04.10.2017US Embassy car involved in accident in Baku
- 04.10.2017Akif Chovdarov asks court for acquittal - UPDATED-1
- 04.10.2017Akif Chovdarov making final statement at trial
- 04.10.2017Prosecutor seeks 12-year sentence for man accused of planning terror attacks in Azerbaijani universities
- 04.10.2017Azerbaijan: Russian citizens rescued after being trapped in Shamakhi mountains identified
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijan: Russian tourists trapped in Shamakhi mountains rescued - UPDATED-3
- 03.10.2017Baku Appellate Court considers appeal filed against verdict on Vidadi Zeynalov
- 02.10.2017Trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials continues
- 02.10.2017Four Azerbaijanis die in Ukraine hostel fire
- 27.09.2017Akif Chovdarov asks court for time to prepare for final statement
- 27.09.2017Hijab problem arises in Azerbaijani school in Georgia
- 26.09.2017Another IBA official charged with embezzlement standing trial
- 26.09.2017ANAMA: Clearance operation in area polluted after explosion at Khizi weapons storage will take long time
- 25.09.2017Emergency Situations Ministry releases statement on fire in building of BP’s Baku office - UPDATED
- 25.09.2017Azerbaijan’s consul in Iraq visits child found in territories freed from ISIL
- 21.09.2017Criminal case initiated against officials of Azerbaijan State Economic University
- 16.01.2017Taleh Baghirov’s trial resumed
- 18.01.2017Venue changed for trial of imprisoned generals of Azerbaijani national security ministry
- 18.01.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
- 16.01.2017Azerbaijan initiates 159 criminal cases over corruption-related crimes in 2016
- 16.01.2017Criminal case against ex-employees of Azerbaijani communications and high-tech ministry sent to court
- 16.01.2017Traffic to be restricted on some roads of Baku on January 20 - National Mourning Day