Trial resumed for Azerbaijani security ministry’s ex-employees
Baku’s Sabunchu district court on Monday continued the trial in the criminal case involving Major General Akif Chovdarov, former head of the main energy and transport security directorate under the liquidated Ministry of National Security (MNS) of Azerbaijan, and ministry's some ex-employees arrested alongside him.
During the closed-door trial presided over by Baku Military Court chairman Habib Hasanov, witnesses gave testimony on the episode of Bilajari municipality’s former head Ibrahim Khalilov.
In his testimony, witness Natiq Humbatov said he is a relative of Akif Chovdarov, lawyer Sadiq Rasulov told reporters.
Humbatov said he first met Ibrahim Khalilov, who is recognized as a victim on the criminal case, in Chovdarov’s house.
“After Chovdarov was arrested, Khalilov told me said he ‘owes 60,000 manats to Chovdarov, noting that the bill of debt was formalized in my name. He asked me to take a document by a notary. The document was necessary to point out that Khalilov had no debt to me. I fulfilled his request,” Humbatov said.
Then, Akif Chovdarov’s son-in-law Rovshan Gasimov testified, confirmed his desire to want plot of land from Khalilov.
He said Akif Chovdarov had nothing to do with the matter, he didn’t put pressure on Khalilov.
Binagadi municipality’s former head gave additional testimony of Khalilov’s episode.
He noted that Ilham Khalilov took 16,000 manats from him to give to Chovdarov.
“Ilham Khalilov took 16,000 manats from me along with 150 000 manats. He said I would meet the expenses of construction of the first floor of country house of Akif Chovdarov in Novkhani and he would meet the expenses of other floors,” he added.
Chovdarov refuted his claims. “I protest against the prosecutor’s office. They brought dishonest people to testify against the general.”
A break was announced at the trial.
Akif Chovdarov faces charges under Articles 145.3 (illegal deprivation of freedom of a person, causing to the death of the victim or other serious consequences by negligence), 179.3.1, 179.3.2 (embezzlement or waste by an organized group on a large scale), 181.3.1, 181.3.2 (robbery committed by an organized group in order to seize the property on a large scale), 182.3.1, 182.3.2 (extortion, committed by an organized group in order to obtain property on a large scale), 228.4 (illegal purchase, selling or carrying of gas weapon, cold steel, including throwing weapon), 302.1, 302.2 (implementation operative - search actions by not authorized persons, as well as implementation of these actions by authorized persons, but without grounds provided by the legislation, entailed essential, and the same acts committed with use of special means, intended for secret dredging the information), 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4 (bribe-taking by a group of persons on preliminary arrangement, committed repeatedly on a large scale with the use of threats), 313 (service forgery), 341.2.1, 341.2.2, 241.2.3 (abusing authority, excess or inactivity of authority committed by a group of persons, committed with the use of weapons, resulted in grave consequences) of the Criminal Code. The former head of the first department of the ministry’s main directorate Salim Mammadov is charged under articles 145.3, 179.3.1, 179.3.2, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.1, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 313, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3; the former head of the second department Akif Aliyev is charged under articles 145.3, 179.3.1, 179.3.2, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 313, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3; the former deputy head of the first division of the third department Orkhan Osmanov is charged under 145.3, 181.3.1, 181.3.2, 182.3.1, 182.3.2, 302.2, 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4, 341.2.1, 341.2.2 and 341.2.3.
The court ordered seizure on property and cash worth of 33,466,000, trade and service sectors, greenhouses, aquaculture farms and other property complexes, land plots worth of 8,967,000 manats, private houses, apartments and vehicles worth of 24,445,000 manats, jewelry worth of 37,000 manats belonging to the accused persons –- Akif Chovdarov, Salim Mammadov, Akif Aliyev and Orkhan Osmanov to compensate damage caused to the aggrieved persons.
Related news releases
- 16.01.2018Mud volcano erupts in Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018More details emerge of detention of Russian scientist in Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018Interior Minister: 1,028 criminal groups accused of committing 2,698 crimes neutralized in Azerbaijan last year
- 13.01.2018Artillery shells found in Aghdam’s Guzanli
- 13.01.2018Attic of residential house collapses in Shirvan, one person gets stuck under
- 13.01.2018Two detained in Azerbaijan over hoax call about terror attack, police say
- 13.01.2018Azerbaijani police seize over 5.5 kg of drugs
- 12.01.2018Afgan Mukhtarli sentenced to 6 years in prison - UPDATED
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani custom officers prevent sturgeon smuggling
- 11.01.2018Border guards detain three persons who tried to illegally leave Azerbaijan
- 11.01.2018Vehicle carrying film crew of Azerbaijani TV channel crashes into barrier
- 09.01.2018Austrian mountaineer says 'it would be easier to find missing Azerbaijani climbers if they equipped with special devices'
- 09.01.2018Deputy Minister: Sports club directly responsible for not providing missing mountaineers with necessary equipment
- 09.01.2018Search for missing Azerbaijani mountaineers will continue – ministry
- 09.01.2018Operational headquarters created to conduct search for missing mountaineers in Azerbaijan holds meeting
- 09.01.2018Iranian woman, daughter detained at Baku airport with fake passports
- 06.01.2018Azerbaijan opens criminal case after mountain climbers go missing - OFFICIAL STATEMENT
- 05.01.2018Azerbaijan hit by earthquake
- 05.01.2018Baku police detain persons over false notification of bomb threat in hotel and storage
- 05.01.2018Prosecutor General: Persons accused of committing most resonant crimes in Azerbaijan last year exposed
- 04.01.20189 killed, 45 injured in Azerbaijan road accidents during holidays
- 03.01.2018Russia puts Azerbaijani on Interpol wanted list on terror charges
- 30.12.2017Search underway for missing mountain climbers
- 30.12.2017Cybercriminal who stole money from Azerbaijani banks detained and extradited to Azerbaijan
- 30.12.2017ANAMA specialists involved in search for missing mountain climbers
- 29.12.2017Bodies of Azerbaijanis killed in car crash in Russia brought to homeland
- 29.12.2017Search underway for missing mountain climbers in Azerbaijan
- 28.12.2017Additional rescue team joins search for missing mountaineers in Azerbaijan
- 27.12.2017Search underway for missing climbers in Azerbaijan, special headquarters set up
- 27.12.2017One of missing Azerbaijani climbers is employee of Interior Ministry’s press service
- 27.12.2017Azerbaijani MES releases information on missing mountain climbers
- 25.12.2017Azerbaijan businessman and son die in car crash in Russia
- 23.12.20174-magnitude quake hits Azerbaijan’s Ismayilli
- 23.12.2017Accident in Ethylene-Propylene factory in Sumgayit kills one
- 22.12.2017Prosecutor General’s Office to investigate reasons for school principal’s suicide attempt in Goychay
- 21.12.2017Search ends at Baku Railway Station after hoax bomb call - UPDATED
- 20.12.2017Russia puts Azerbaijani on Interpol wanted list on terror charges
- 20.12.2017Detainees attempt suicide inside police station in Azerbaijan
- 16.12.2017Georgia detains drug trafficker at border with Azerbaijan
- 15.12.2017Sri Lankan citizen dies in Azerbaijan’s tourism center
- 16.01.2017Taleh Baghirov’s trial resumed
- 18.01.2017Venue changed for trial of imprisoned generals of Azerbaijani national security ministry
- 18.01.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
- 16.01.2017Azerbaijan initiates 159 criminal cases over corruption-related crimes in 2016
- 16.01.2017Criminal case against ex-employees of Azerbaijani communications and high-tech ministry sent to court
- 16.01.2017Traffic to be restricted on some roads of Baku on January 20 - National Mourning Day