Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Wednesday continued the trial in the criminal case involving Vidadi Zeynalov, head of the Office of the Ministry of Communications and High Technologies of Azerbaijan, and other people arrested alongside him.
Witnesses testified at the trial presided over by judge Afgan Hajiyev.
Faig Humbatov, former head of the Shamakhi district telephone exchange, said the companies that won tenders belonged to relatives of the ministry’s leadership.
“42,000 manats were transferred to the telephone exchange’s account in 2014. Of this money, I received only 3,000 manats. In some cases, we were carrying out work that the companies that won tenders had to done,” he added.
Yagub Jafarov, former department head at Aztelekom LLC, said the telephone exchanges were supplied with cable and equipment by the ministry.
Sabuhi Huseynov, former head of the Tovuz district telephone exchange, said they didn’t do payments to Aztelekom LLC from the funds allocated to the exchange. His testimony run contrary to the one he gave during the preliminary investigation. Prosecutor read out his testimony. Then he remembered his testimony and confirmed it. It was noted that 5,000 manats were paid to Aztelekom LLC per month. “These were funds collected from customers,” he added.
Former chairman of Aztelekom Mahammad Mammadov also confirmed that they were receiving 5,000 manats from some telephone exchanges per month. He said these funds were used for credits. “Equipment was purchased from Amsterdam on credit. The exchanges were giving funds received from internet subscribers to pay the credits. An official letter was sent to telephone exchanges in this regard,” he said.
Other witness Hafiz Gurbanov confirmed the testimony he had given during the preliminary investigation.
Then, a judicial board passed a decision on compulsory participation of other witnesses in the trial.
The trial will be resumed on Jan. 25.
A series of investigative operations had discovered that in 2009-2015, the director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, entered into a criminal conspiracy with the director of “Bakı Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev, gave them a project for the implementation of works on the new telephone lines and installation of new equipment. According to the agreement concluded between them, 35-45% are listed on the accounts of these companies means then had to be returned in cash to Beytullah Huseynov. After that Beytullah Huseynov, abusing official powers and organizing sham tenders issued forged documents, which indicated that the work for the fiber-optic lines for the Internet were carried out by companies controlled by him, though in reality, these works were carried out by local telephone networks. Because of these machinations Beytulla Huseynov misappropriated 21,379,000 of 71,263 million manats, transfers to accounts controlled by him LLC. However, investigators have reason to suspect that the head of the ministry's Office, Vidadi Zeynalov, processing government orders to close the company itself and increasing their value by 4-5 times, misappropriated 73.59 million manats.
The investigation revealed cases of appropriation of budgetary funds and forgery in “Aztelekom” LLC, “AzİnTelekom” LLC, Center for information and calculations, “Optik Rabite Tikinti ve Qurashdırma”.
The director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, the director of “Bakı Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev are charged under articles 179.3.2 (embezzlement on a large scale), 308.2 (abuse of power) and 313 (forgery) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
Head of the Ministry Vidadi Zeynalov, general director of LLC "AzİnTelekom" Jalil Jafarov, the general director of LLC "Azerpocht" Gambar Beybalaevu, Director LLC "Optik Rabite, Tikinti ve Qurashdırma" Namazaly Mammadov faced charges under articles 179.3.2 and 308.2, and chief accountant of the Company Sahrab Humbetov - under articles 179.3.2, 308.2 and 313. For all of those persons elected to the arrest as a preventive measure.
Related news releases
- 18.02.2017Body found in Caspian Sea identified as missing oil worker
- 18.02.2017Headquarters: Identity of body found in Caspian Sea is being investigated - UPDATED
- 17.02.2017Avalanche hits mountain road in Azerbaijan, access to 8 villages interrupted
- 16.02.2017Ukraine opens criminal case over crimes against Azerbaijanis
- 15.02.2017Three killed after train hit car in Azerbaijan
- 15.02.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial resumed
- 14.02.2017Ex-general of Azerbaijani MNS insults journalists - UPDATED
- 13.02.2017Akif Chovdarov's trial resumed - UPDATED
- 09.02.2017Azerbaijan detains another Cameroonian charged with fraud
- 08.02.2017134 people killed, 473 injured in emergency situations in Azerbaijan last year
- 07.02.2017Azerbaijan detains four foreigners on fraud charges
- 06.02.2017Mud volcano erupts in Baku suburb
- 04.02.2017Foreign currency smuggling from Azerbaijan to Turkey prevented
- 04.02.2017Azerbaijan registers 90 crimes in one day
- 03.02.2017Azerbaijani detained along with National Bank department director over bribery in Ukraine
- 02.02.2017Baku court continues trial in ‘Nardaran case’
- 02.02.2017Azerbaijani citizen dies after falling off kindergarten roof in St. Petersburg
- 02.02.2017Fire broke out at residential building in Baku.
- 01.02.2017Four terrorists eliminated in Azerbaijan
- 30.01.2017140 inmates and detainees died in Azerbaijan last year
- 30.01.2017Azerbaijani citizen detained in Georgia for drug offences
- 28.01.2017MOE released information on fire in “Sovetski” area - UPDATE-2
- 27.01.2017Over 930 kg of drugs seized in Azerbaijan last year
- 27.01.2017Over 1,000 criminal groups detained in Azerbaijan last year
- 27.01.2017Donald Trump ready to lift anti-Russian sanctions
- 27.01.2017Company director gets 8 years over deadly high-rise fire in Baku
- 26.01.2017Psychotherapist Dayanat Rzayev commits suicide - UPDATED
- 25.01.2017Taleh Baghirov sentenced to 20 years in prison
- 25.01.2017Azerbaijani border guards prevent drug smuggling
- 25.01.2017Ex-police officer commits suicide in Baku
- 24.01.2017Safe containing cash stolen from non-bank credit organization’s office in Azerbaijan
- 24.01.2017Armed incident in Baku leaves one injured
- 23.01.2017Baku police detain three suspected of stealing safe containing large sum of money
- 21.01.2017Large amount of money stolen from ATM in Baku
- 20.01.2017Belarus to extradite Alexander Lapshin to Azerbaijan
- 19.01.2017About 12,000 crimes committed last year in Azerbaijani capital
- 16.01.2017Azerbaijan initiates 159 criminal cases over corruption-related crimes in 2016
- 16.01.2017Criminal case against ex-employees of Azerbaijani communications and high-tech ministry sent to court
- 16.01.2017Traffic to be restricted on some roads of Baku on January 20 - National Mourning Day
- 16.01.2017Azerbaijan detains six officials on corruption charges
- 18.01.2017Trial resumed for Azerbaijani security ministry’s ex-employees - UPDATED-1
- 19.01.2017Mother and baby die during childbirth in Azerbaijan
- 19.01.2017Trial concludes for ‘fake MNS employees’ charged with $3.4M fraud
- 18.01.2017Venue changed for trial of imprisoned generals of Azerbaijani national security ministry
- 16.01.2017Taleh Baghirov’s trial resumed
- 16.01.2017Trial resumed for Azerbaijani security ministry’s ex-employees