Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Wednesday continued the trial in the criminal case involving Vidadi Zeynalov, head of the Office of the Ministry of Communications and High Technologies of Azerbaijan, and other people arrested alongside him.
Witnesses testified at the trial presided over by judge Afgan Hajiyev.
Faig Humbatov, former head of the Shamakhi district telephone exchange, said the companies that won tenders belonged to relatives of the ministry’s leadership.
“42,000 manats were transferred to the telephone exchange’s account in 2014. Of this money, I received only 3,000 manats. In some cases, we were carrying out work that the companies that won tenders had to done,” he added.
Yagub Jafarov, former department head at Aztelekom LLC, said the telephone exchanges were supplied with cable and equipment by the ministry.
Sabuhi Huseynov, former head of the Tovuz district telephone exchange, said they didn’t do payments to Aztelekom LLC from the funds allocated to the exchange. His testimony run contrary to the one he gave during the preliminary investigation. Prosecutor read out his testimony. Then he remembered his testimony and confirmed it. It was noted that 5,000 manats were paid to Aztelekom LLC per month. “These were funds collected from customers,” he added.
Former chairman of Aztelekom Mahammad Mammadov also confirmed that they were receiving 5,000 manats from some telephone exchanges per month. He said these funds were used for credits. “Equipment was purchased from Amsterdam on credit. The exchanges were giving funds received from internet subscribers to pay the credits. An official letter was sent to telephone exchanges in this regard,” he said.
Other witness Hafiz Gurbanov confirmed the testimony he had given during the preliminary investigation.
Then, a judicial board passed a decision on compulsory participation of other witnesses in the trial.
The trial will be resumed on Jan. 25.
A series of investigative operations had discovered that in 2009-2015, the director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, entered into a criminal conspiracy with the director of “Bakı Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev, gave them a project for the implementation of works on the new telephone lines and installation of new equipment. According to the agreement concluded between them, 35-45% are listed on the accounts of these companies means then had to be returned in cash to Beytullah Huseynov. After that Beytullah Huseynov, abusing official powers and organizing sham tenders issued forged documents, which indicated that the work for the fiber-optic lines for the Internet were carried out by companies controlled by him, though in reality, these works were carried out by local telephone networks. Because of these machinations Beytulla Huseynov misappropriated 21,379,000 of 71,263 million manats, transfers to accounts controlled by him LLC. However, investigators have reason to suspect that the head of the ministry's Office, Vidadi Zeynalov, processing government orders to close the company itself and increasing their value by 4-5 times, misappropriated 73.59 million manats.
The investigation revealed cases of appropriation of budgetary funds and forgery in “Aztelekom” LLC, “AzİnTelekom” LLC, Center for information and calculations, “Optik Rabite Tikinti ve Qurashdırma”.
The director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, the director of “Bakı Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev are charged under articles 179.3.2 (embezzlement on a large scale), 308.2 (abuse of power) and 313 (forgery) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
Head of the Ministry Vidadi Zeynalov, general director of LLC "AzİnTelekom" Jalil Jafarov, the general director of LLC "Azerpocht" Gambar Beybalaevu, Director LLC "Optik Rabite, Tikinti ve Qurashdırma" Namazaly Mammadov faced charges under articles 179.3.2 and 308.2, and chief accountant of the Company Sahrab Humbetov - under articles 179.3.2, 308.2 and 313. For all of those persons elected to the arrest as a preventive measure.
Related news releases
- 24.03.2017Alexander Lapshin meets mother
- 24.03.201710 died, 39 injured in traffic accidents in Azerbaijan during holidays
- 23.03.2017Two detained in Baku on suspicion of hooligan acts against Iranian citizen
- 23.03.2017Azerbaijani man commits suicide after murdering mother
- 22.03.2017Road accident in Barda claims lives of two, other four injured
- 22.03.2017Body found in Caspian Sea identified: Headquarters
- 22.03.2017Azerbaijani citizen wanted by Interpol for serious crime detained
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani State Security Service prevents illegal distribution of ecstasy
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijani man, sentenced to life in 2007, gets sentence reduced
- 15.03.2017Metro station "28 May" is open to passengers after smoke prevented
- 15.03.2017Body recovered from Caspian Sea identified as missing Azerbaijani oilman - UPDATED
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijan initiates criminal case over death of five people from carbon monoxide poisoning
- 15.03.2017College director: Death of two of our students is a big tragedy
- 15.03.2017Victims identified in fatal carbon monoxide poisoning in Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijani police to tighten security for Novruz celebrations
- 14.03.2017Three detained over murder of Azerbaijani poet’s son
- 14.03.2017Georgian police detain Azerbaijani citizen over keeping firearms
- 13.03.2017Another male corpse found in Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea
- 13.03.2017Former Azerbaijani police officer dies in prison
- 10.03.2017Grenade blasts in teahouse in Ismayilli, two injured
- 10.03.2017State Security Service eliminates firearm smugglers
- 10.03.2017Boat overturns in Caspian Sea, fishermen rescued by helicopter - UPDATED
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan detains three for attempting to smuggle large quantities of dollars and gold bullions
- 10.03.20177 killed, 24 injured in Azerbaijan road accidents in one day
- 09.03.2017Criminal case initiated over fatal road accident in Baku
- 09.03.2017Azerbaijan detained 37 trespassers in February
- 09.03.2017Five killed in Baku minibus crash identified - UPDATED-3
- 04.03.2017Lapshin allowed to telephone his relatives
- 04.03.2017One more corpse found in Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea
- 03.03.2017Blogger Mehman Huseynov arrested in courtroom
- 02.03.2017Body recovered from Caspian Sea identified as missing Azerbaijani oilman
- 28.02.2017Dead body found in Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea
- 28.02.2017Earthquake hits Armenia, tremors also felt in Azerbaijan
- 27.02.2017Akif Chovdrov’s trial continues Monday - UPDATED
- 27.02.2017Azerbaijan arrests narcological dispensary chief physician on bribery charges
- 27.02.2017Azerbaijan imposed AZN 85.4 mln fine for violation of traffic rules last year
- 27.02.2017Azerbaijan punishes 330 police officers for offences
- 25.02.2017Police search for Ujar resident appropriating money of citizens for making fake visas
- 24.02.2017Two Azerbaijani citizens detained on charges of spying for foreign country
- 24.02.2017Police detain suspect in murder of two sisters in Azerbaijan’s Ganja
- 30.03.2017Interior Ministry: Mass destruction of graves in Baku Christian cemetery out of the question
- 30.03.2017Truck-car collision in Azerbaijan leaves one dead, two injured
- 28.03.2017Business partner of former Azerbaijani minister’s son on Interpol wanted list
- 27.03.2017Azerbaijan’s Interior Ministry comments on death of detainee at police department - UPDATED