Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Wednesday continued the trial in the criminal case involving Vidadi Zeynalov, head of the Office of the Ministry of Communications and High Technologies of Azerbaijan, and other people arrested alongside him.
Witnesses testified at the trial presided over by judge Afgan Hajiyev.
Faig Humbatov, former head of the Shamakhi district telephone exchange, said the companies that won tenders belonged to relatives of the ministry’s leadership.
“42,000 manats were transferred to the telephone exchange’s account in 2014. Of this money, I received only 3,000 manats. In some cases, we were carrying out work that the companies that won tenders had to done,” he added.
Yagub Jafarov, former department head at Aztelekom LLC, said the telephone exchanges were supplied with cable and equipment by the ministry.
Sabuhi Huseynov, former head of the Tovuz district telephone exchange, said they didn’t do payments to Aztelekom LLC from the funds allocated to the exchange. His testimony run contrary to the one he gave during the preliminary investigation. Prosecutor read out his testimony. Then he remembered his testimony and confirmed it. It was noted that 5,000 manats were paid to Aztelekom LLC per month. “These were funds collected from customers,” he added.
Former chairman of Aztelekom Mahammad Mammadov also confirmed that they were receiving 5,000 manats from some telephone exchanges per month. He said these funds were used for credits. “Equipment was purchased from Amsterdam on credit. The exchanges were giving funds received from internet subscribers to pay the credits. An official letter was sent to telephone exchanges in this regard,” he said.
Other witness Hafiz Gurbanov confirmed the testimony he had given during the preliminary investigation.
Then, a judicial board passed a decision on compulsory participation of other witnesses in the trial.
The trial will be resumed on Jan. 25.
A series of investigative operations had discovered that in 2009-2015, the director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, entered into a criminal conspiracy with the director of “Bakı Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev, gave them a project for the implementation of works on the new telephone lines and installation of new equipment. According to the agreement concluded between them, 35-45% are listed on the accounts of these companies means then had to be returned in cash to Beytullah Huseynov. After that Beytullah Huseynov, abusing official powers and organizing sham tenders issued forged documents, which indicated that the work for the fiber-optic lines for the Internet were carried out by companies controlled by him, though in reality, these works were carried out by local telephone networks. Because of these machinations Beytulla Huseynov misappropriated 21,379,000 of 71,263 million manats, transfers to accounts controlled by him LLC. However, investigators have reason to suspect that the head of the ministry's Office, Vidadi Zeynalov, processing government orders to close the company itself and increasing their value by 4-5 times, misappropriated 73.59 million manats.
The investigation revealed cases of appropriation of budgetary funds and forgery in “Aztelekom” LLC, “AzİnTelekom” LLC, Center for information and calculations, “Optik Rabite Tikinti ve Qurashdırma”.
The director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, the director of “Bakı Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev are charged under articles 179.3.2 (embezzlement on a large scale), 308.2 (abuse of power) and 313 (forgery) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
Head of the Ministry Vidadi Zeynalov, general director of LLC "AzİnTelekom" Jalil Jafarov, the general director of LLC "Azerpocht" Gambar Beybalaevu, Director LLC "Optik Rabite, Tikinti ve Qurashdırma" Namazaly Mammadov faced charges under articles 179.3.2 and 308.2, and chief accountant of the Company Sahrab Humbetov - under articles 179.3.2, 308.2 and 313. For all of those persons elected to the arrest as a preventive measure.
Related news releases
- 28.06.2017Man migrated with Musavat's fake membership card declared wanted
- 28.06.2017Men raided country house in Baku, beat guard, then set fire to house
- 28.06.201710 died in traffic accidents in Azerbaijan during holidays
- 21.06.2017Lawyers seek acquittal for Vidadi Zeynalov
- 21.06.2017Former Baku Metro chief testifies at trial of national security ministry’s ex-employees
- 21.06.2017Child poisoned to death by own mother in Azerbaijan
- 20.06.2017ANAMA: Two Azerbaijan citizens injured in mine blast on Turkey-Iran border - UPDATED
- 20.06.2017Armenians seeking to be a “hero” on paper: Azerbaijani MoD
- 20.06.2017US embassy car crashes in Baku
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijan issues int’l arrest warrant for 5 people accused of abduction
- 19.06.2017Secretary of Malaysian embassy gets into road accident in Baku
- 17.06.2017Baku court begins trial in International Bank employee’s case
- 16.06.2017Russian court extends prison sentence of Azerbaijani national accused of recruiting students for terror organizations
- 14.06.2017Trial continues for ex-ministry official Vidadi Zeynalov charged with embezzlement
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijan detains 32 trespassers in May
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office denies MP’s statement on Afgan Mukhtarli
- 10.06.2017Fire at Baku Sadarak Trade Center localized- UPDATED
- 09.06.2017Man kills his parents in Masalli region
- 09.06.2017Ex-ministry official Beytulla Huseynov, accused of embezzlement, pays for damage caused to state
- 09.06.2017Man stabs his wife, two minor children to death in Azerbaijan’s Mingachevir
- 07.06.2017Hilal Asadov testifies in Akif Chovdarov’s trial
- 07.06.2017UAE embassy gets into accident in Baku
- 06.06.2017Azerbaijan, Russia hold joint cross-border operations
- 06.06.2017Azerbaijan completes investigation of 73 corruption-related cases since early 2017
- 06.06.2017Baku court dismisses appeal by Afgan Mukhtarli
- 06.06.2017Fortune teller detained in Baku
- 05.06.2017Akif Chovdarov's trial continues
- 02.06.2017Court denies APFP deputy chairperson’s appeal
- 02.06.2017Trial in case of ex-ministry official Vidadi Zeynalov continues
- 01.06.2017Court denies appeal filed by former IBA head
- 01.06.2017Azerbaijani SBS, Prosecutor General’s Office release statement on journalist Afgan Mukhtarli’s arrest
- 31.05.2017Journalist Afgan Mukhtarli put in 3-month pretrial detention
- 31.05.2017Azerbaijani court resumes trial in ex-ministry official's case
- 31.05.2017Prosecutor General's Office comments on journalist Afgan Mukhtarli’s detention
- 30.05.2017Gozal Bayramli has traveled to Georgia 41 times since early 2015: official statement
- 30.05.2017Criminal case opened over Baku car crash that killed police officer - UPDATED
- 27.05.2017Anti-pedestrian mine found in Jojuq Marjanli
- 27.05.2017One-year-old boy dies after being hit by dad’s car in Azerbaijan
- 27.05.2017SSS head: No provocation committed during Islamic Solidarity Games
- 27.05.2017State Security Service transferred information about spy network to Defense Ministry - minister
- 18.01.2017Trial resumed for Azerbaijani security ministry’s ex-employees - UPDATED-1
- 19.01.2017Mother and baby die during childbirth in Azerbaijan
- 19.01.2017Trial concludes for ‘fake MNS employees’ charged with $3.4M fraud
- 18.01.2017Venue changed for trial of imprisoned generals of Azerbaijani national security ministry
- 16.01.2017Taleh Baghirov’s trial resumed
- 16.01.2017Trial resumed for Azerbaijani security ministry’s ex-employees