Trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials continues
The Baku Military Court continued on Thursday the trial in the case involving head of the Anti-Terrorism Center of the liquidated Ministry of National Security (MNS) of Azerbaijan, Major-General Elchin Guliyev and another former MNS official Azer Mehdiyev.
The study of documents began at the trial presided over by judge Elbey Allahverdiyev. A number of documents were read out.
Then the victim, Matlab Mustafayev, made a speech at the trial.
“Elchin Guliyev said in his testimony that minister Eldar Mahmudov followed the distribution of $120,000 received from Maqsud Mahmudov. He said that Eldar Mahmudov instructed them to take money from the rich in business, where they are curators,” said Mustafayev.
Mustafayev asked to court to summon Eldar Mahmudov to the court to investigate this episode.
The judge said that such issues will be considered at next trials.
Then, Alakbar Heydarov, former deputy head of the Khazar district executive authority, made a speech at the trial, noting that the ministry did not have any operational information on him,
"If there is no operational information about me, how did they call me there?" he said.
Elchin Guliyev, in turn, said that there was operational information about Alakbar Heydarov.
Sahib Gurbanov, who is recognized as the victim in the case, petitioned for the summons to the court of the former head of the ministry’s department in Khazar district, Rafig Safarov, and operative Eldar Hajiyev. Gurbanov also asked the court to clarify the issue of who was given the cigarettes he had received.
The court upheld the petitions.
Major General Elchin Guliyev is former chief of the Anti-Terrorist Center of the liquidatedMinistry of National Security (MNS) of Azerbaijan. Following the scandals surrounding the MNS, Elchin Guliyev was dismissed and appointed department head at the MNS Academy named after Heydar Aliyev. He was then arrested.
Elchin Guliyev and the others face the charges under the Articles 145.3 (illegal imprisonment on negligence ended with death of the victim or other serious consequences, 181.3.1 (burglary by organized group), 181.3.2 (burglary with a view to occupy large size of property), 182.3.1 (extortion by organized group), 182.3.2 (extortion with a purpose of occupying large size of property), 302.2 (Infringement of the legislation on operative - search activity committed with use of special means, intended for secret dredging the information), 308.2 (abusing official powers) 309.2 (excess of official powers committed with application of violence or with threat of its application, or with application of weapon or other special means, or entailed heavy consequences), 311.3.1 (reception of a bribe on preliminary arrangement by group of persons or organized group), 311.3.2 (repeated reception of a bribe), 311.3.3 (reception of a bribe in the large amount) of the Criminal Code.
Related news releases
- 23.10.2017Azerbaijani citizen gets 21 years in prison for murdering two in Russia
- 23.10.2017Azerbaijani Prosecutor General’s Office initiates criminal case against two escaped convicts - UPDATED-2
- 23.10.2017Woman attempts to break into Azerbaijani embassy in Moscow
- 23.10.2017Inmate dies of illness in Azerbaijan
- 19.10.2017Car belonging to EU Delegation in Azerbaijan crashes in Baku
- 19.10.2017Suspects in murder of Iranian student in Baku involved in another crime, law enforcement say
- 19.10.2017Baku police arrest man who stole safe containing large amount of cash nine years ago
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani Security Service seizes counterfeit excise stamps
- 17.10.2017Five arrested for murdering Iranian student in Azerbaijan
- 17.10.201740 unexploded shells found in Azerbaijan’s Sumgayit
- 17.10.2017Baku court holds preliminary hearing on appeal of Vidadi Zeynalov
- 17.10.2017ANAMA: Demining ops launched after weapons storage blast in Khizi to be completed by year-end
- 16.10.2017Worker dies after falling into elevator shaft into SOCAR administrative building
- 14.10.2017Truck carrying passenger vehicles over overturns in Azerbaijan’s Salyan
- 14.10.2017US Embassy car involved in accident in Baku
- 13.10.2017Unexploded ammunition found in Baku
- 13.10.2017Person accused of committing grave crime in Ukraine detained aboard Kyiv-Baku flight
- 13.10.2017Court extends Afgan Mukhtarli’s pretrial detention
- 12.10.2017Azerbaijani court issues verdict against Ramin Hajili and others who sought to get U.S. visa with fake documents
- 12.10.2017Supreme Court considers appeal by IBA ex-chairman
- 11.10.2017Brother of Abulfaz Elchibey dies
- 09.10.2017Banking-related criminal cases submitted to courts in Azerbaijan increase in numbers
- 09.10.2017Mother, underage son die from carbon monoxide poisoning in Baku
- 09.10.2017Kazakh military attaché involved in car crash in Baku
- 04.10.2017US Embassy car involved in accident in Baku
- 04.10.2017Akif Chovdarov asks court for acquittal - UPDATED-1
- 04.10.2017Akif Chovdarov making final statement at trial
- 04.10.2017Prosecutor seeks 12-year sentence for man accused of planning terror attacks in Azerbaijani universities
- 26.09.2017Another IBA official charged with embezzlement standing trial
- 26.09.2017ANAMA: Clearance operation in area polluted after explosion at Khizi weapons storage will take long time
- 25.09.2017Emergency Situations Ministry releases statement on fire in building of BP’s Baku office - UPDATED
- 25.09.2017Azerbaijan’s consul in Iraq visits child found in territories freed from ISIL
- 21.09.2017Criminal case initiated against officials of Azerbaijan State Economic University
- 21.09.2017Quake hits Azerbaijan’s Balakan
- 21.09.2017Trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials continues - UPDATED
- 20.09.2017Court gives Akif Chovdarov time for final statement
- 19.09.2017Ten people suffer minor smoke inhalation after fire at warehouse of cosmetics factory in Baku
- 18.09.2017Akif Chovdarov's lawyer makes speech at trial
- 16.09.2017Tofig Zulfugarov: ‘I have been involved in the investigation on this traffic accident as a witness’
- 15.09.2017Human rights defenders issue statement on release of a group of persons
- 03.10.2017Baku Appellate Court considers appeal filed against verdict on Vidadi Zeynalov
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijan: Russian tourists trapped in Shamakhi mountains rescued - UPDATED-3
- 04.10.2017Azerbaijan: Russian citizens rescued after being trapped in Shamakhi mountains identified
- 02.10.2017Four Azerbaijanis die in Ukraine hostel fire
- 27.09.2017Akif Chovdarov asks court for time to prepare for final statement
- 27.09.2017Hijab problem arises in Azerbaijani school in Georgia