Trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials continues - UPDATED
An Azerbaijani court on Thursday continued the trial in the criminal case involving former heads of department of the liquidatedMinistry of National Security (MNS) Subahir Gurbanov, Teymur Guliyev, Natavan Mirvatova, other officials Fuzuli Aliyev, Zaur Mammadov, Natiq Aliyev, Farhad Atayev, Anar Shiraliyev, Eshqin Aliyev, and Elshad Azizov.
Attorney Azer Taghiyev told reporters that former MNS officer Rufat Abdullayev was interrogated at the trial. R. Abdullayev, who was involved in the detention of victims Ilham Ibrahimov and Elchin Karimov, said no one was treated violently. Attorney Azer Taghiyev said investitators have information that Fuzuli Aliyev hard a gun during the operation. R. Abdullayev refuted the information.
Another victim Arif Valiyev, who is one of the heads of “La Parfumery” shop, testified. Valiyev noted that he was called to the MNS in March 2015. Later on, he sent two baskets to MNS officers. The baskets were worth AZN 1,000 and AZN 4,000. He added that he gave the baskets of his own free will.
The trial will be resumed on April 11.
An Azerbaijani court on Thursday continued the trial in the criminal case involving former heads of department of the liquidated Ministry of National Security (MNS) Subahir Gurbanov, Teymur Guliyev, Natavan Mirvatova, other officials Fuzuli Aliyev, Zaur Mammadov, Natiq Aliyev, Farhad Atayev, Anar Shiraliyev, Eshqin Aliyev, and Elshad Azizov.
After the trial, Subahir Gurbanov’s attorney Azer Taghiyev told reporters that victim Elchin Karimov testified.
SOCAR employee Karimov said that he and another victim Ilham Ibrahimov were released after spending one day in detention at the ministry.
"A MNS official named Rufat asked me to find a diamond of 6 carats. And I asked Ilham Ibrahimov for it because he was engaged in gold trade. Ilham said that he had diamond. I went to the bank to exchange 200,000 dollars for manats to buy the jewelry. At this time, MNS officers detained me for a day and then came to the conclusion that I had not broken the laws. So they let me go," he said.
Victim Zeynal Shafiyev said that in 2011 the MNS received information that he was engaged in the trade in counterfeit gold. To avoid being tried, he sold his house and gave $12,000 to MNS officers.
Lawyer Taghiyev said that both victims stressed that they did not know Subahir Gurbanov.
The trial will continue after the break.
According to the indictment, the above-mentioned persons have abused their official powers as an organized group in the years 2004 to 2015.
They are accused of causing psychological and physical harm to entrepreneurs, demanding a large sum of money in exchange for releasing them, threatening their relatives with violence, arrest, and releasing embarrassing information about them. By this means, they managed to appropriate of 162 victims a total of 18,437,000 manats as well as monetary funds worth 6,449,000 manats, jewelry and real estate worth 5,693,000 manats, taking 5,295,000 manats in the form of bribe, and embezzling 1,000,000 allocated from the state budget.
The court ordered seizure on property and cash worth of 21,528,000 manats, as well as real estate worth of 20,971,000 manats, vehicles worth of 272,000 manats, jewelry and other valuable goods worth of 42,000 manats, cash worth of 88,000 manats, 88,000 US dollars and 5,000 euros belonging to the defendants – Subahir Gurbanov, Fizuli Aliyev, Zaur Mammadov, Natig Aliyev, Teymur Guliyev, Natavan Murvatova and the others.
They are charged under articles 145.3 (illegal imprisonment on negligence ended with death of the victim or other serious consequences), 178.3.1, 178.3.2 (swindle committed by organized group with causing damage on a large scale), 179.3.1, 179.3.2 (embezzlement by an organized group on a large scale), 181.3.1, 181.3.2 (robbery, committed by an organized group, with a view to seizing the property on a large scale), 182.3.1, 182.3.2 (extortion, committed by an organized group in order to obtain property on a large scale), 228.4 (illegal purchase, selling, storage and carrying fire arms, bladed weapons), 302.1, 302.2 (infringement of the legislation on operative-search activity with the use of technical means, intended for secret information), 311.3.1, 311.3.2, 311.3.3, 311.3.4 (reception of a bribe, committed by a group of persons or an organized group repeatedly or on a large scale, using threats), 313 (service forgery), 320.1, 320.2 (fake of official documents and use of obviously counterfeit documents) and 341.2.1, 341.2.2, 341.2.3 (abusing authority, excess or inactivity of authority, committed by a group of persons with the use of weapons, resulted in grave consequences).
Related news releases
- 26.07.2017‘Çudo Peçka’ founder arrested
- 26.07.2017Trial of former Azerbaijani ministry officials postponed
- 25.07.2017Azerbaijan’s State Security Service exposes int’l cybercrime group
- 25.07.2017Explosion occurred in Baku
- 24.07.2017Underage brothers drown in Caspian Sea
- 24.07.2017Ali Insanov transferred to maximum security jail
- 24.07.2017Details emerge of horrific Barda family murder - UPDATED
- 24.07.2017Azerbaijani family of five burned alive in fire accident in Russia
- 24.07.2017Fire in building in Baku extinguished - UPDATED
- 22.07.2017Fire at university in Baku extinguished, 4 people poisoned with smoke - UPDATED
- 22.07.2017Two children drown in canal in Aghsu
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijan detains spy network members
- 18.07.2017Man who fell into sever main and MES rescuer both died of gas poisoning - UPDATED
- 18.07.2017Earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Lankaran
- 15.07.2017Azerbaijani citizen detained in Russia on suspicion of rape and murder of 15-year-old girl
- 14.07.2017Prosecutor seeks 6.5 years in prison for Alexander Lapshin
- 13.07.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
- 13.07.2017Traffic accident kills 3 and other 3 injured in Salyan
- 11.07.2017Fire breaks out in Azerbaijan’s Gizil-Agaj State Reserve
- 07.07.20172 people die of electrocution in pool, other 2 injured
- 05.07.2017Trespass attempt prevented by Azerbaijani border guards, trespasser killed
- 30.06.2017Internationally wanted Turkish citizen detained in Azerbaijan
- 28.06.2017Man migrated with Musavat's fake membership card declared wanted
- 28.06.2017Men raided country house in Baku, beat guard, then set fire to house
- 28.06.201710 died in traffic accidents in Azerbaijan during holidays
- 21.06.2017Lawyers seek acquittal for Vidadi Zeynalov
- 21.06.2017Former Baku Metro chief testifies at trial of national security ministry’s ex-employees
- 21.06.2017Child poisoned to death by own mother in Azerbaijan
- 20.06.2017ANAMA: Two Azerbaijan citizens injured in mine blast on Turkey-Iran border - UPDATED
- 20.06.2017Armenians seeking to be a “hero” on paper: Azerbaijani MoD
- 20.06.2017US embassy car crashes in Baku
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijan issues int’l arrest warrant for 5 people accused of abduction
- 19.06.2017Secretary of Malaysian embassy gets into road accident in Baku
- 17.06.2017Baku court begins trial in International Bank employee’s case
- 16.06.2017Russian court extends prison sentence of Azerbaijani national accused of recruiting students for terror organizations
- 14.06.2017Trial continues for ex-ministry official Vidadi Zeynalov charged with embezzlement
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijan detains 32 trespassers in May
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office denies MP’s statement on Afgan Mukhtarli
- 10.06.2017Fire at Baku Sadarak Trade Center localized- UPDATED
- 09.06.2017Man kills his parents in Masalli region
- 07.04.2017Elnur Huseynzade's pretrial detention extended
- 07.04.2017Prison term of former MNS general and others extended
- 07.04.2017Preliminary hearing held in case of former Azerbaijani health minister
- 05.04.2017Baku police detain man suspected of stealing metal fences, crosses from cemetery
- 05.04.2017Akif Chovdarov's trial continues - UPDATED
- 05.04.2017Man suspected of stealing bag with 4,000 euros at Baku airport detained