Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Friday continued the trial in the criminal case involving Vidadi Zeynalov, head of the Office of the Ministry of Communications and High Technologies of Azerbaijan, and others arrested alongside him.
During the trial, accused Emin Mammadov’s attorney read out a letter of the Ministry of Communications and High Technologies, noting that Emin Mammadov, Namazali Mammadov, and Sahrab Humbatov have fully paid for the damage caused to the ministry, APA reported.
Zeynalov’s attorney Jeyhun Yusifov said that the indictment’s essence is unclear to them. “I read the indictment 74 times. On page 4 they deny the amount written on page 1,” he noted.
Anar Mustafayev’s attorney Gulshan Salmanova said the amount in the indictment is exaggerated.
Accused Beytulla Huseynov said the testimony he gave during the investigation has been distorted.
“They’ve written on paper whatever they like, rather than my words. They’ve written that I embezzled 10 million manats. Let them prove this amount and I will pay for the damage. They’ve exaggerated the number to such an extent as if I was the minister,” he added.
All the attorneys supported the petition on holding an expertise.
However, prosecutor Farid Naghiyev asked the court to reject the petition.
The court rejected the petition.
Vidadi Zeynalov’s attorney Baylar Mamishov said that the indictment against Vidadi Zeynalov consists of 74 pages and a sentence: “In the indictment, there are accusations in connection with the damage in the amount of 7 million, 10 million and 153 million manats. Does all this concern Vidadi Zeynalov? For which damage and whom should he pay? The public prosecutor should estimate the sum total”, he said.
The judge proposed Vidadi Zeynalov to testify.
Vidadi Zeynalov, in turn, said that he had high blood pressure and asked the court for time.
The trial will be continued on May 3.
A series of investigative operations had discovered that in 2009-2015, the director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, entered into a criminal conspiracy with the director of “Bakı Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev, gave them a project for the implementation of works on the new telephone lines and installation of new equipment. According to the agreement concluded between them, 35-45% are listed on the accounts of these companies means then had to be returned in cash to Beytullah Huseynov. After that Beytullah Huseynov, abusing official powers and organizing sham tenders issued forged documents, which indicated that the work for the fiber-optic lines for the Internet were carried out by companies controlled by him, though in reality, these works were carried out by local telephone networks. Because of these machinations Beytulla Huseynov misappropriated 21,379,000 of 71,263 million manats, transfers to accounts controlled by him LLC. However, investigators have reason to suspect that the head of the Ministry’s Office, Vidadi Zeynalov, processing government orders to close the company itself and increasing their value by 4-5 times, misappropriated 73.59 million manats.
The investigation revealed cases of appropriation of budgetary funds and forgery in “Aztelekom” LLC, “AzİnTelekom” LLC, Center for information and calculations, “Optik Rabite Tikinti ve Qurashdırma”.
The director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, the director of “Bakı Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev are charged under articles 179.3.2 (embezzlement on a large scale), 308.2 (abuse of power) and 313 (forgery) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
Related news releases
- 20.09.2017Court gives Akif Chovdarov time for final statement
- 19.09.2017Ten people suffer minor smoke inhalation after fire at warehouse of cosmetics factory in Baku
- 18.09.2017Akif Chovdarov's lawyer makes speech at trial
- 16.09.2017Tofig Zulfugarov: ‘I have been involved in the investigation on this traffic accident as a witness’
- 15.09.2017Human rights defenders issue statement on release of a group of persons
- 15.09.2017Son of Baku City Main Police Department spokesman arrested over fatal road accident
- 15.09.2017APFP chairman’s assistant released from prison
- 14.09.2017Another four people arrested over Nardaran events released
- 13.09.2017Alexander Lapshin’s mother arrives in Baku
- 12.09.2017Lapshin’s mother to arrive in Baku, blogger to be sent to Israel in coming days
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijani citizen killed in Tbilisi
- 11.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev pardons Alexander Lapshin
- 11.09.2017Azerbaijan detained 47 trespassers last month
- 11.09.2017Moldovan embassy car crashes in Baku
- 07.09.2017Another meeting held at headquarters set up to tackle forest fires in Azerbaijan’s Gabala
- 05.09.2017Forest fires in Azerbaijan’s Gabala fully brought under control
- 05.09.2017Fire in territory of Shahdag National Park extinguished
- 04.09.2017Meeting held at headquarters set up to tackle forest fire in Azerbaijan's Gabala
- 04.09.2017Forest fire in Azerbaijan’s Gabala brought under control
- 04.09.2017Efforts underway to extinguish forest fire in Azerbaijan’s Gabala
- 01.09.2017MENR chooses emergency mode as fires continue in Gabala
- 31.08.2017Fire localized in Georgia’s Abastumani, Azerbaijan actively involved in ops
- 31.08.2017Fire breaks out in forest in Azerbaijan’s Oghuz
- 31.08.2017Consul: Mother of Azerbaijani athlete killed in road accident in Lebanon will fly to Beirut
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijan’s helicopter joins operation to extinguish forest fires in Georgia
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijan again sends helicopter to help Georgia tackle forest fires
- 29.08.2017Trial of Azerbaijan MNS ex-officials continues
- 29.08.2017Azerbaijani police to tighten security during Eid al-Adha holidays
- 28.08.2017Azerbaijan’s firefighting and rescue forces return home from Georgia
- 28.08.2017Last victim of weapons storage fire in Azerbaijan discharged from hospital
- 28.08.2017Suspected terrorist eliminated in Azerbaijan
- 27.08.2017Fire at military unit of Defense Ministry localized and prevented from spreading
- 27.08.2017Special commission set up under Azerbaijani president's instructions to determine cause of fire at weapons storage
- 27.08.2017Immediate measures are being taken at the scene of the incident
- 27.08.2017Fire breaks out at weapons storage in Azerbaijan
- 26.08.2017Prime Minister of Georgia met with helicopter crew of the Ministry of Emergency Situations of Azerbaijan
- 25.08.2017Two killed as car hits pedestrians in Tovuz
- 25.08.2017Azerbaijani Ministry of Emergency Situations issues statement on fire-fighting ops in Georgia
- 25.08.2017Mehman Aliyev sentenced to 3-month pretrial detention - UPDATED
- 25.08.2017Azerbaijan’s firefighters extinguish fire in area of 4ha in Georgia
- 29.04.2017Former deputy head of Azerbaijan’s Khazar district executive authority recognized as victim in case of MNS ex-official
- 01.05.2017Baku man detained for extorting money from businessmen by blackmailing on social networks
- 01.05.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial postponed
- 28.04.2017Russian court pronounces verdict in case against two Azerbaijanis accused of kidnapping
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijani MNS ex-official: 2 mln manats taken from budget sent to Eldar Mahmudov
- 27.04.2017Preliminary hearing held in case of Azerbaijani MNS ex-general