Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Friday continued the trial in the criminal case involving Vidadi Zeynalov, head of the Office of the Ministry of Communications and High Technologies of Azerbaijan, and others arrested alongside him.
During the trial, accused Emin Mammadov’s attorney read out a letter of the Ministry of Communications and High Technologies, noting that Emin Mammadov, Namazali Mammadov, and Sahrab Humbatov have fully paid for the damage caused to the ministry, APA reported.
Zeynalov’s attorney Jeyhun Yusifov said that the indictment’s essence is unclear to them. “I read the indictment 74 times. On page 4 they deny the amount written on page 1,” he noted.
Anar Mustafayev’s attorney Gulshan Salmanova said the amount in the indictment is exaggerated.
Accused Beytulla Huseynov said the testimony he gave during the investigation has been distorted.
“They’ve written on paper whatever they like, rather than my words. They’ve written that I embezzled 10 million manats. Let them prove this amount and I will pay for the damage. They’ve exaggerated the number to such an extent as if I was the minister,” he added.
All the attorneys supported the petition on holding an expertise.
However, prosecutor Farid Naghiyev asked the court to reject the petition.
The court rejected the petition.
Vidadi Zeynalov’s attorney Baylar Mamishov said that the indictment against Vidadi Zeynalov consists of 74 pages and a sentence: “In the indictment, there are accusations in connection with the damage in the amount of 7 million, 10 million and 153 million manats. Does all this concern Vidadi Zeynalov? For which damage and whom should he pay? The public prosecutor should estimate the sum total”, he said.
The judge proposed Vidadi Zeynalov to testify.
Vidadi Zeynalov, in turn, said that he had high blood pressure and asked the court for time.
The trial will be continued on May 3.
A series of investigative operations had discovered that in 2009-2015, the director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, entered into a criminal conspiracy with the director of “Bakı Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev, gave them a project for the implementation of works on the new telephone lines and installation of new equipment. According to the agreement concluded between them, 35-45% are listed on the accounts of these companies means then had to be returned in cash to Beytullah Huseynov. After that Beytullah Huseynov, abusing official powers and organizing sham tenders issued forged documents, which indicated that the work for the fiber-optic lines for the Internet were carried out by companies controlled by him, though in reality, these works were carried out by local telephone networks. Because of these machinations Beytulla Huseynov misappropriated 21,379,000 of 71,263 million manats, transfers to accounts controlled by him LLC. However, investigators have reason to suspect that the head of the Ministry’s Office, Vidadi Zeynalov, processing government orders to close the company itself and increasing their value by 4-5 times, misappropriated 73.59 million manats.
The investigation revealed cases of appropriation of budgetary funds and forgery in “Aztelekom” LLC, “AzİnTelekom” LLC, Center for information and calculations, “Optik Rabite Tikinti ve Qurashdırma”.
The director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, the director of “Bakı Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev are charged under articles 179.3.2 (embezzlement on a large scale), 308.2 (abuse of power) and 313 (forgery) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
Related news releases
- 22.11.2017108 people killed, 493 injured in emergency situations in Azerbaijan since early 2017
- 20.11.2017Astara man commits suicide
- 20.11.2017Baku city prosecutor’s office issues statement on Lokbatan plant explosion
- 20.11.2017Another quake jolts Azerbaijan
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, who drowned in river while saving two children in Russia, awarded posthumously
- 20.11.2017One dead after explosion at plant in Baku
- 18.11.2017Quake jolts Azerbaijan’s south
- 17.11.2017Landslide in Baku, worker trapped under mud rescued - UPDATED
- 16.11.2017Preliminary information on earthquake reveals no casualty - UPDATED
- 16.11.2017Magnitude 6 earthquake hits Azerbaijani regions - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017General Prosecutor's Office: Stones were thrown at a bus in Sumgayit
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani citizen murders his fellow countryman in Moscow, confirm law enforcement
- 13.11.2017Two embassy cars collide in Baku
- 13.11.2017Prosecutor seeks 15-year jail sentence for ex-official of MNS
- 13.11.2017Kidnappers detained in Azerbaijan
- 11.11.2017Armenian-made landmine found in Aghdam
- 11.11.2017Man who left his sister with Iranian drug dealers as pledge gets arrested attempting to enter Azerbaijan with a large amount of narcotics
- 11.11.2017Two fishermen go missing in Caspian
- 11.11.2017MES: During fire in residential building 15 rescued and 20 evacuated
- 10.11.2017Fire breaks out in apartment building in Baku
- 10.11.2017Azerbaijan’s former national security minister Eldar Mahmudov questioned again
- 10.11.2017Fire in Baku business center extinguished - UPDATED
- 07.11.2017Police raid car showrooms owned by Azerbaijanis in Moscow
- 07.11.2017Vugar Mahmudov fails to file appeal against court decision
- 04.11.2017Azerbaijani citizen suspected of treason detained
- 02.11.2017Two Azerbaijanis who killed a man suspected of involvement in Rovshan Lankaransky’s murder detained Russia
- 02.11.2017Azerbaijani General Prosecutor’s Office, Interior Ministry release joint statement on special op to catch second escaped convict
- 02.11.2017Criminal case against Turan News Agency and Mehman Aliyev terminated
- 01.11.2017Recent prisoner escape discussed at Azerbaijani Justice Ministry’s collegium meeting
- 31.10.2017Employees of Azerbaijani Penitentiary Service arrested over prisoner escape face additional charge
- 30.10.2017Akif Chovdarov and others' property worth AZN 33M to be confiscated
- 30.10.2017Court to send appeal to Azerbaijani president to strip Akif Chovdarov of general rank
- 30.10.2017Ex-official of Azerbaijan’s national security ministry jailed for 12 years - UPDATED
- 30.10.2017Azerbaijani singer arrested for helping prisoners escape
- 30.10.2017Interpol-wanted Azerbaijani citizen detained in Georgia
- 27.10.2017Baku City Prosecutor’s Office initiates criminal case over sale of prohibited medicines in unlicensed pharmacy
- 27.10.2017Azerbaijan's State Security Service: Four more people detained in anti-terror operation
- 26.10.2017Azerbaijan Penitentiary Service: One of escapees captured
- 26.10.2017Ammo found in apartment of people who planned terrorist attack during rally in Baku
- 25.10.2017Group of persons planning terrorist attack at rally liquidated
- 29.04.2017Former deputy head of Azerbaijan’s Khazar district executive authority recognized as victim in case of MNS ex-official
- 01.05.2017Baku man detained for extorting money from businessmen by blackmailing on social networks
- 01.05.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial postponed
- 28.04.2017Russian court pronounces verdict in case against two Azerbaijanis accused of kidnapping
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijani MNS ex-official: 2 mln manats taken from budget sent to Eldar Mahmudov
- 27.04.2017Preliminary hearing held in case of Azerbaijani MNS ex-general