Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Friday continued the trial in the criminal case involving Vidadi Zeynalov, head of the Office of the Ministry of Communications and High Technologies of Azerbaijan, and others arrested alongside him.
During the trial, accused Emin Mammadov’s attorney read out a letter of the Ministry of Communications and High Technologies, noting that Emin Mammadov, Namazali Mammadov, and Sahrab Humbatov have fully paid for the damage caused to the ministry, APA reported.
Zeynalov’s attorney Jeyhun Yusifov said that the indictment’s essence is unclear to them. “I read the indictment 74 times. On page 4 they deny the amount written on page 1,” he noted.
Anar Mustafayev’s attorney Gulshan Salmanova said the amount in the indictment is exaggerated.
Accused Beytulla Huseynov said the testimony he gave during the investigation has been distorted.
“They’ve written on paper whatever they like, rather than my words. They’ve written that I embezzled 10 million manats. Let them prove this amount and I will pay for the damage. They’ve exaggerated the number to such an extent as if I was the minister,” he added.
All the attorneys supported the petition on holding an expertise.
However, prosecutor Farid Naghiyev asked the court to reject the petition.
The court rejected the petition.
Vidadi Zeynalov’s attorney Baylar Mamishov said that the indictment against Vidadi Zeynalov consists of 74 pages and a sentence: “In the indictment, there are accusations in connection with the damage in the amount of 7 million, 10 million and 153 million manats. Does all this concern Vidadi Zeynalov? For which damage and whom should he pay? The public prosecutor should estimate the sum total”, he said.
The judge proposed Vidadi Zeynalov to testify.
Vidadi Zeynalov, in turn, said that he had high blood pressure and asked the court for time.
The trial will be continued on May 3.
A series of investigative operations had discovered that in 2009-2015, the director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, entered into a criminal conspiracy with the director of “Bakı Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev, gave them a project for the implementation of works on the new telephone lines and installation of new equipment. According to the agreement concluded between them, 35-45% are listed on the accounts of these companies means then had to be returned in cash to Beytullah Huseynov. After that Beytullah Huseynov, abusing official powers and organizing sham tenders issued forged documents, which indicated that the work for the fiber-optic lines for the Internet were carried out by companies controlled by him, though in reality, these works were carried out by local telephone networks. Because of these machinations Beytulla Huseynov misappropriated 21,379,000 of 71,263 million manats, transfers to accounts controlled by him LLC. However, investigators have reason to suspect that the head of the Ministry’s Office, Vidadi Zeynalov, processing government orders to close the company itself and increasing their value by 4-5 times, misappropriated 73.59 million manats.
The investigation revealed cases of appropriation of budgetary funds and forgery in “Aztelekom” LLC, “AzİnTelekom” LLC, Center for information and calculations, “Optik Rabite Tikinti ve Qurashdırma”.
The director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, the director of “Bakı Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev are charged under articles 179.3.2 (embezzlement on a large scale), 308.2 (abuse of power) and 313 (forgery) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
Related news releases
- 25.07.2017Azerbaijan’s State Security Service exposes int’l cybercrime group
- 25.07.2017Explosion occurred in Baku
- 24.07.2017Underage brothers drown in Caspian Sea
- 24.07.2017Ali Insanov transferred to maximum security jail
- 24.07.2017Details emerge of horrific Barda family murder - UPDATED
- 24.07.2017Azerbaijani family of five burned alive in fire accident in Russia
- 24.07.2017Fire in building in Baku extinguished - UPDATED
- 22.07.2017Fire at university in Baku extinguished, 4 people poisoned with smoke - UPDATED
- 22.07.2017Two children drown in canal in Aghsu
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijan detains spy network members
- 18.07.2017Man who fell into sever main and MES rescuer both died of gas poisoning - UPDATED
- 18.07.2017Earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Lankaran
- 15.07.2017Azerbaijani citizen detained in Russia on suspicion of rape and murder of 15-year-old girl
- 14.07.2017Prosecutor seeks 6.5 years in prison for Alexander Lapshin
- 13.07.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
- 13.07.2017Traffic accident kills 3 and other 3 injured in Salyan
- 11.07.2017Fire breaks out in Azerbaijan’s Gizil-Agaj State Reserve
- 07.07.20172 people die of electrocution in pool, other 2 injured
- 05.07.2017Trespass attempt prevented by Azerbaijani border guards, trespasser killed
- 30.06.2017Internationally wanted Turkish citizen detained in Azerbaijan
- 28.06.2017Man migrated with Musavat's fake membership card declared wanted
- 28.06.2017Men raided country house in Baku, beat guard, then set fire to house
- 28.06.201710 died in traffic accidents in Azerbaijan during holidays
- 21.06.2017Lawyers seek acquittal for Vidadi Zeynalov
- 21.06.2017Former Baku Metro chief testifies at trial of national security ministry’s ex-employees
- 21.06.2017Child poisoned to death by own mother in Azerbaijan
- 20.06.2017ANAMA: Two Azerbaijan citizens injured in mine blast on Turkey-Iran border - UPDATED
- 20.06.2017Armenians seeking to be a “hero” on paper: Azerbaijani MoD
- 20.06.2017US embassy car crashes in Baku
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijan issues int’l arrest warrant for 5 people accused of abduction
- 19.06.2017Secretary of Malaysian embassy gets into road accident in Baku
- 17.06.2017Baku court begins trial in International Bank employee’s case
- 16.06.2017Russian court extends prison sentence of Azerbaijani national accused of recruiting students for terror organizations
- 14.06.2017Trial continues for ex-ministry official Vidadi Zeynalov charged with embezzlement
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijan detains 32 trespassers in May
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office denies MP’s statement on Afgan Mukhtarli
- 10.06.2017Fire at Baku Sadarak Trade Center localized- UPDATED
- 09.06.2017Man kills his parents in Masalli region
- 09.06.2017Ex-ministry official Beytulla Huseynov, accused of embezzlement, pays for damage caused to state
- 09.06.2017Man stabs his wife, two minor children to death in Azerbaijan’s Mingachevir
- 11.08.2016Fuad Gahramanli and others accused in Nardaran events testify in court
- 12.08.2016Supreme Court upholds complaint of man that planned to blast mosque in Baku
- 12.08.2016One more attorney begins to defend Footballer Javid Huseynov
- 09.08.2016ANS files lawsuit against NTRC over suspension
- 08.08.2016ICRC visits Armenian scout imprisoned in Azerbaijan
- 08.08.2016Term of investigation into Natiq Karimov’s case extended