Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Friday continued the trial in the criminal case involving Vidadi Zeynalov, head of the Office of the Ministry of Communications and High Technologies of Azerbaijan, and others arrested alongside him.
During the trial, accused Emin Mammadov’s attorney read out a letter of the Ministry of Communications and High Technologies, noting that Emin Mammadov, Namazali Mammadov, and Sahrab Humbatov have fully paid for the damage caused to the ministry, APA reported.
Zeynalov’s attorney Jeyhun Yusifov said that the indictment’s essence is unclear to them. “I read the indictment 74 times. On page 4 they deny the amount written on page 1,” he noted.
Anar Mustafayev’s attorney Gulshan Salmanova said the amount in the indictment is exaggerated.
Accused Beytulla Huseynov said the testimony he gave during the investigation has been distorted.
“They’ve written on paper whatever they like, rather than my words. They’ve written that I embezzled 10 million manats. Let them prove this amount and I will pay for the damage. They’ve exaggerated the number to such an extent as if I was the minister,” he added.
All the attorneys supported the petition on holding an expertise.
However, prosecutor Farid Naghiyev asked the court to reject the petition.
The court rejected the petition.
Vidadi Zeynalov’s attorney Baylar Mamishov said that the indictment against Vidadi Zeynalov consists of 74 pages and a sentence: “In the indictment, there are accusations in connection with the damage in the amount of 7 million, 10 million and 153 million manats. Does all this concern Vidadi Zeynalov? For which damage and whom should he pay? The public prosecutor should estimate the sum total”, he said.
The judge proposed Vidadi Zeynalov to testify.
Vidadi Zeynalov, in turn, said that he had high blood pressure and asked the court for time.
The trial will be continued on May 3.
A series of investigative operations had discovered that in 2009-2015, the director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, entered into a criminal conspiracy with the director of “Bakı Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev, gave them a project for the implementation of works on the new telephone lines and installation of new equipment. According to the agreement concluded between them, 35-45% are listed on the accounts of these companies means then had to be returned in cash to Beytullah Huseynov. After that Beytullah Huseynov, abusing official powers and organizing sham tenders issued forged documents, which indicated that the work for the fiber-optic lines for the Internet were carried out by companies controlled by him, though in reality, these works were carried out by local telephone networks. Because of these machinations Beytulla Huseynov misappropriated 21,379,000 of 71,263 million manats, transfers to accounts controlled by him LLC. However, investigators have reason to suspect that the head of the Ministry’s Office, Vidadi Zeynalov, processing government orders to close the company itself and increasing their value by 4-5 times, misappropriated 73.59 million manats.
The investigation revealed cases of appropriation of budgetary funds and forgery in “Aztelekom” LLC, “AzİnTelekom” LLC, Center for information and calculations, “Optik Rabite Tikinti ve Qurashdırma”.
The director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, the director of “Bakı Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev are charged under articles 179.3.2 (embezzlement on a large scale), 308.2 (abuse of power) and 313 (forgery) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
Related news releases
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan detains Uzbek, Kyrgyz citizens for attempting to illegally cross border with Iran
- 19.02.2018Turkish, Azerbaijani women sentenced to life in prison for collaborating with ISIL
- 19.02.2018Fire breaks out in former Azerbaijani transport minister’s house
- 19.02.2018Chairman of the State Committee for City Building and Architecture of Azerbaijan dies
- 17.02.2018Man detained for pretending to be Security Service official
- 17.02.2018Suspect in murder of woman whose body was found chopped into pieces in Baku detained
- 16.02.2018Female body found chopped into pieces in Baku
- 14.02.2018Two people detained in Baku for making counterfeit money
- 13.02.2018Three detained in Baku for attempted mercury sale
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijanis killed in apartment fire in Russia identified - UPDATED
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani State Migration Service, Prosecutor General’s Office release statement on detention of illegal migrants
- 12.02.2018Judicial investigation into case of Azerbaijan’s former security officials completed
- 12.02.2018Another Azerbaijani killed in Syria
- 09.02.2018Criminal gang leader declared wanted by Azerbaijan 20 years ago detained in Moscow
- 09.02.2018Illegal migrants detained in Azerbaijan
- 07.02.2018Violations revealed in work of 24 municipalities in Azerbaijan last year
- 06.02.2018Azerbaijani declared internationally wanted by Russia killed in Mosul
- 03.02.2018Five poisoned by smoke in fire at residential building in Baku
- 01.02.2018Russia puts Azerbaijani on Interpol wanted list on charges of joining illegal armed groups
- 01.02.2018Baku woman steals $58,000 from her own home
- 31.01.2018UXOs found in Goranboy
- 30.01.2018Azerbaijan detains Uzbek citizens over attempt to illegally cross border with Iran
- 29.01.20183 Arabs detained in Azerbaijan for illegal hunting
- 29.01.2018Above 300 Azerbaijanis reportedly killed in battles in Syria, Iraq – State Committee
- 27.01.2018Zakir Garalov: Prosecuting authorities are successfully fulfilling president’s task on humanization of punishment policy
- 27.01.2018Zakir Garalov: 418 unsolved crimes have been solved
- 27.01.2018Azerbaijani MES issues statement on fire outbreak incident in Baku
- 26.01.2018ANAMA finds 20 UXOs in Aghstafa
- 26.01.2018Georgia initiates criminal prosecution against Azerbaijani transplant surgeon
- 26.01.2018Baku police kill man who showed armed resistance
- 25.01.2018Azerbaijani MES reveals number of emergency situations in 2017
- 25.01.2018Names of Azerbaijanis aboard missing vessel in Sea of Japan revealed - UPDATED
- 25.01.2018Turkish businessman’s house robbed in Baku
- 24.01.2018Five dismissed from prosecuting authorities in Baku
- 24.01.2018Azerbaijani MES to hold firefighting training
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijan detains Pakistani, Indian nationals accused of organizing illegal migration channel
- 22.01.2018Search for missing mountaineers in Azerbaijan continues
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijani State Security Service exposes big network engaged in currency smuggling
- 20.01.2018Armenian military fires at Azerbaijani border village
- 18.01.2018Nearly 93% of murders in Baku solved – police chief
- 29.04.2017Former deputy head of Azerbaijan’s Khazar district executive authority recognized as victim in case of MNS ex-official
- 01.05.2017Baku man detained for extorting money from businessmen by blackmailing on social networks
- 01.05.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial postponed
- 28.04.2017Russian court pronounces verdict in case against two Azerbaijanis accused of kidnapping
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijani MNS ex-official: 2 mln manats taken from budget sent to Eldar Mahmudov
- 27.04.2017Preliminary hearing held in case of Azerbaijani MNS ex-general