Trial in case of ex-ministry official Vidadi Zeynalov continues
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Friday continued the trial in the criminal case involving Vidadi Zeynalov, head of the Office of the Ministry of Communications and High Technologies of Azerbaijan, and others arrested alongside him.
The ministry representative asked the court to postpone the trial until the compensation is reimbursed.
The judge noted that he had been given enough time and that he could at last give his opinion.
Accused Mahammad Mammadov’s lawyers spoke at the trial, asking the court to acquit their client as charges against him had not been confirmed.
Lawyers of other accused – Ogtay Rustamov, Bayram Valiyev and Jalil Javarov – also asked the court to acquit their clients.
The trial will continue on June 14.
A state prosecutor had earlier asked the court to sentence Vidadi Zeynalov to 14 years in prison and other accused persons B.Huseynov to 15 years, A.Mustafayev to 8 years, Q.Beybalayev to 10 years. The prosecutor also asked to sentence each of M.Mammadov, J.Jafarov, S.Humbatov and B.Valiyev to 5 years, 11 months and 11 days of probation.
He asked the court to use the arrested properties of the accused persons for the purpose of compensating the damage inflicted and not to lift the arrest on them.
A series of investigative operations had discovered that in 2009-2015, the director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, entered into a criminal conspiracy with the director of “Bakı Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev, gave them a project for the implementation of works on the new telephone lines and installation of new equipment. According to the agreement concluded between them, 35-45% are listed on the accounts of these companies means then had to be returned in cash to Beytullah Huseynov. After that Beytullah Huseynov, abusing official powers and organizing sham tenders issued forged documents, which indicated that the work for the fiber-optic lines for the Internet were carried out by companies controlled by him, though in reality, these works were carried out by local telephone networks. Because of these machinations Beytulla Huseynov misappropriated 21,379,000 of 71,263 million manats, transfers to accounts controlled by him LLC. However, investigators have reason to suspect that the head of the ministry’s Office, Vidadi Zeynalov, processing government orders to close the company itself and increasing their value by 4-5 times, misappropriated 73.59 million manats.
The investigation revealed cases of appropriation of budgetary funds and forgery in “Aztelekom” LLC, “AzİnTelekom” LLC, Center for information and calculations, “Optik Rabite Tikinti ve Qurashdırma”.
The director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, the director of “Bakı Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev are charged under articles 179.3.2 (embezzlement on a large scale), 308.2 (abuse of power) and 313 (forgery) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
The head of the ministry’s Office Vidadi Zeynalov, the director general of AzInTelekom LLC Jalil Jafarov, the director general of Azerpocht LLC Gambar Beybalayev face charges under articles 179.3.2 and 308.2. A preventive measure in the form of arrest has been chosen against all of those persons.
Related news releases
- 14.12.2017181 UXOs found in Khizi
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijani citizen on Interpol’s wanted list after falsifying documents for getting ‘political shelter’
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijan Security Service: 16 terrorists eliminated while showing armed resistance
- 14.12.2017Safe containing AZN 100K stolen from Baku resident’s house
- 14.12.2017Kamaladdin Heydarov: 1,442 people, including 423 children rendered first aid in emergencies this year
- 14.12.2017Kamaladdin Heydarov: 12371 fire accidents recorded in Azerbaijan this year
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijani MES: 296 people rescued from drowning this year
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijan identifies 10 people suspected of ties with foreign intelligence agencies
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijan’s border guards detain 503 trespassers
- 13.12.2017Inmate dies of heart failure in Baku jail
- 13.12.2017Azerbaijani citizen carrying large amounts of narcotics detained in Georgia
- 13.12.2017Man who stole AZN 0.4mln from ATM detained
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijani oilman killed by co-worker for unknown reasons
- 12.12.2017Fire erupts at residential building in Mingachevir
- 11.12.2017Mumbai to London aircraft makes emergency landing in Baku
- 11.12.2017Weekend traffic crashes leave 12 dead in Azerbaijan
- 09.12.2017Residential building under construction collapses in Baku
- 08.12.2017Earthquake occurs in Caspian Sea
- 08.12.2017American woman accused of defrauding Baku man of $6,000
- 07.12.2017Earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Sharur
- 07.12.2017Criminal case opened over death of patient at hospital in Baku
- 07.12.2017General Prosecutor’s Office, Interior Ministry release joint statement on murder of five people in Salyan
- 07.12.2017Man found guilty of murdering wife and four daughters, burying bodies in Azerbaijan
- 04.12.2017Turkish Embassy car involved in crash in Baku
- 04.12.2017Haji Mammadov commits suicide by hanging himself – Penitentiary Service
- 02.12.2017Two Azerbaijani citizens detained in Georgia
- 02.12.2017Former owner of Glass market commits suicide
- 01.12.2017Iranian, Pakistani FMs discuss IP pipeline
- 30.11.2017Baku court announces verdict against former security officials
- 29.11.2017Former chairman of Atrabank Board of Directors gets arrested
- 29.11.2017NIDA member gets jail sentence reduced
- 29.11.2017Azerbaijan opens criminal cases against officials of several construction companies
- 27.11.2017Russia opens criminal case against police officers accused of violence against Azerbaijani diaspora head
- 27.11.2017Embassy: Incident in “Azerbaijan” Park planned to be built in Odessa is ‘an act of hooliganism’
- 22.11.2017108 people killed, 493 injured in emergency situations in Azerbaijan since early 2017
- 20.11.2017Astara man commits suicide
- 20.11.2017Baku city prosecutor’s office issues statement on Lokbatan plant explosion
- 20.11.2017Another quake jolts Azerbaijan
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, who drowned in river while saving two children in Russia, awarded posthumously
- 20.11.2017One dead after explosion at plant in Baku
- 02.06.2017Court denies APFP deputy chairperson’s appeal
- 05.06.2017Akif Chovdarov's trial continues
- 06.06.2017Fortune teller detained in Baku
- 01.06.2017Court denies appeal filed by former IBA head
- 01.06.2017Azerbaijani SBS, Prosecutor General’s Office release statement on journalist Afgan Mukhtarli’s arrest
- 31.05.2017Journalist Afgan Mukhtarli put in 3-month pretrial detention