Trial continues in case of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Thursday continued the trial in the criminal case involving Vidadi Zeynalov, former head of the Office of the Ministry of Communications and High Technologies, and other people arrested alongside him.
Vidadi Zeynalov gave testimony at the trial presided over by judge Afgan Hajiyev, APA reported.
Zeynalov said that he read the indictment in detail and he did not agree with the document. “I don’t know how the investigative body has made the calculation related to the damage caused. There are many controversial points in the investigation materials”, he noted.
The former official spoke in detail about his properties which are under arrest.
“I had made a will by listing my properties, as well as the ones that my mother and close relatives officially donated to me and put it into a safe. The night I was detained, it was taken from the safe. The list was publicized in all websites that night. Who needed it? They added into the list the houses of my sisters, brothers, brothers-in-law, daughter and neighbors, the lands donated by the state to them, the lands I rented by concluding a contract with municipality, and transferred the data to media”, he added.
He said the figures were exaggerated during the investigation.
Answering the questions of lawyers, Zeynalov said he wants to sell his properties. “But for this, the arrest on my property must be lifted so that I could sell them and compensate for the damage,” he said.
The judge said that the issue of property will be solved at the end.
The former head of Azerpocht, Gambar Beybalayev, said that he is unaware of what he is accused of. “Vidadi Zeynalov said in his testimony that some employees of their department received ‘envelopes with money’ under the instruction of former minister Ali Abbasov. I have never received these envelopes and had nothing to do with those who received them. Earlier our monthly salaries were very low. I asked the minister to increase our salaries. He offered to give an envelope with money, but I didn’t agree with that idea. Vidadi Zeynalov also supported me, and our salaries were somehow increased. I have never received extra money,” he added.
The trial will continue on May 19.
A series of investigative operations had discovered that in 2009-2015, the director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, entered into a criminal conspiracy with the director of “Bakı Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev, gave them a project for the implementation of works on the new telephone lines and installation of new equipment. According to the agreement concluded between them, 35-45% are listed on the accounts of these companies means then had to be returned in cash to Beytullah Huseynov. After that Beytullah Huseynov, abusing official powers and organizing sham tenders issued forged documents, which indicated that the work for the fiber-optic lines for the Internet were carried out by companies controlled by him, though in reality, these works were carried out by local telephone networks. Because of these machinations Beytulla Huseynov misappropriated 21,379,000 of 71,263 million manats, transfers to accounts controlled by him LLC. However, investigators have reason to suspect that the head of the ministry’s Office, Vidadi Zeynalov, processing government orders to close the company itself and increasing their value by 4-5 times, misappropriated 73.59 million manats.
The investigation revealed cases of appropriation of budgetary funds and forgery in “Aztelekom” LLC, “AzİnTelekom” LLC, Center for information and calculations, “Optik Rabite Tikinti ve Qurashdırma”.
The director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, the director of “Bakı Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev are charged under articles 179.3.2 (embezzlement on a large scale), 308.2 (abuse of power) and 313 (forgery) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
The head of the ministry’s Office Vidadi Zeynalov, the director general of AzInTelekom LLC Jalil Jafarov, the director general of Azerpocht LLC Gambar Beybalayev face charges under articles 179.3.2 and 308.2. A preventive measure in the form of arrest has been chosen against all of those persons.
Related news releases
- 21.09.2017Criminal case initiated against officials of Azerbaijan State Economic University
- 21.09.2017Quake hits Azerbaijan’s Balakan
- 21.09.2017Trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials continues - UPDATED
- 20.09.2017Court gives Akif Chovdarov time for final statement
- 19.09.2017Ten people suffer minor smoke inhalation after fire at warehouse of cosmetics factory in Baku
- 18.09.2017Akif Chovdarov's lawyer makes speech at trial
- 16.09.2017Tofig Zulfugarov: ‘I have been involved in the investigation on this traffic accident as a witness’
- 15.09.2017Human rights defenders issue statement on release of a group of persons
- 15.09.2017Son of Baku City Main Police Department spokesman arrested over fatal road accident
- 15.09.2017APFP chairman’s assistant released from prison
- 14.09.2017Another four people arrested over Nardaran events released
- 13.09.2017Alexander Lapshin’s mother arrives in Baku
- 12.09.2017Lapshin’s mother to arrive in Baku, blogger to be sent to Israel in coming days
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijani citizen killed in Tbilisi
- 11.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev pardons Alexander Lapshin
- 11.09.2017Azerbaijan detained 47 trespassers last month
- 11.09.2017Moldovan embassy car crashes in Baku
- 07.09.2017Another meeting held at headquarters set up to tackle forest fires in Azerbaijan’s Gabala
- 05.09.2017Forest fires in Azerbaijan’s Gabala fully brought under control
- 05.09.2017Fire in territory of Shahdag National Park extinguished
- 04.09.2017Meeting held at headquarters set up to tackle forest fire in Azerbaijan's Gabala
- 04.09.2017Forest fire in Azerbaijan’s Gabala brought under control
- 04.09.2017Efforts underway to extinguish forest fire in Azerbaijan’s Gabala
- 01.09.2017MENR chooses emergency mode as fires continue in Gabala
- 31.08.2017Fire localized in Georgia’s Abastumani, Azerbaijan actively involved in ops
- 31.08.2017Fire breaks out in forest in Azerbaijan’s Oghuz
- 31.08.2017Consul: Mother of Azerbaijani athlete killed in road accident in Lebanon will fly to Beirut
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijan’s helicopter joins operation to extinguish forest fires in Georgia
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijan again sends helicopter to help Georgia tackle forest fires
- 29.08.2017Trial of Azerbaijan MNS ex-officials continues
- 29.08.2017Azerbaijani police to tighten security during Eid al-Adha holidays
- 28.08.2017Azerbaijan’s firefighting and rescue forces return home from Georgia
- 28.08.2017Last victim of weapons storage fire in Azerbaijan discharged from hospital
- 28.08.2017Suspected terrorist eliminated in Azerbaijan
- 27.08.2017Fire at military unit of Defense Ministry localized and prevented from spreading
- 27.08.2017Special commission set up under Azerbaijani president's instructions to determine cause of fire at weapons storage
- 27.08.2017Immediate measures are being taken at the scene of the incident
- 27.08.2017Fire breaks out at weapons storage in Azerbaijan
- 26.08.2017Prime Minister of Georgia met with helicopter crew of the Ministry of Emergency Situations of Azerbaijan
- 25.08.2017Two killed as car hits pedestrians in Tovuz
- 19.05.2017Prosecutor seeks 14-year sentence for Vidadi Zeynalov
- 19.05.2017Azerbaijani accused of killing Ukrainian kickboxer standing trial
- 20.05.2017Man shooting 26-year-old youth detained in Baku
- 17.05.2017Baku court resumes trial on appeal filed by Leyla and Arif Yunus
- 15.05.2017Akif Chovdarov's trial continues
- 15.05.2017Azerbaijani SSS launches investigation into reports of persons who collaborated with liquidated MNS