Trial continues in case of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Thursday continued the trial in the criminal case involving Vidadi Zeynalov, former head of the Office of the Ministry of Communications and High Technologies, and other people arrested alongside him.
Vidadi Zeynalov gave testimony at the trial presided over by judge Afgan Hajiyev, APA reported.
Zeynalov said that he read the indictment in detail and he did not agree with the document. “I don’t know how the investigative body has made the calculation related to the damage caused. There are many controversial points in the investigation materials”, he noted.
The former official spoke in detail about his properties which are under arrest.
“I had made a will by listing my properties, as well as the ones that my mother and close relatives officially donated to me and put it into a safe. The night I was detained, it was taken from the safe. The list was publicized in all websites that night. Who needed it? They added into the list the houses of my sisters, brothers, brothers-in-law, daughter and neighbors, the lands donated by the state to them, the lands I rented by concluding a contract with municipality, and transferred the data to media”, he added.
He said the figures were exaggerated during the investigation.
Answering the questions of lawyers, Zeynalov said he wants to sell his properties. “But for this, the arrest on my property must be lifted so that I could sell them and compensate for the damage,” he said.
The judge said that the issue of property will be solved at the end.
The former head of Azerpocht, Gambar Beybalayev, said that he is unaware of what he is accused of. “Vidadi Zeynalov said in his testimony that some employees of their department received ‘envelopes with money’ under the instruction of former minister Ali Abbasov. I have never received these envelopes and had nothing to do with those who received them. Earlier our monthly salaries were very low. I asked the minister to increase our salaries. He offered to give an envelope with money, but I didn’t agree with that idea. Vidadi Zeynalov also supported me, and our salaries were somehow increased. I have never received extra money,” he added.
The trial will continue on May 19.
A series of investigative operations had discovered that in 2009-2015, the director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, entered into a criminal conspiracy with the director of “Bakı Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev, gave them a project for the implementation of works on the new telephone lines and installation of new equipment. According to the agreement concluded between them, 35-45% are listed on the accounts of these companies means then had to be returned in cash to Beytullah Huseynov. After that Beytullah Huseynov, abusing official powers and organizing sham tenders issued forged documents, which indicated that the work for the fiber-optic lines for the Internet were carried out by companies controlled by him, though in reality, these works were carried out by local telephone networks. Because of these machinations Beytulla Huseynov misappropriated 21,379,000 of 71,263 million manats, transfers to accounts controlled by him LLC. However, investigators have reason to suspect that the head of the ministry’s Office, Vidadi Zeynalov, processing government orders to close the company itself and increasing their value by 4-5 times, misappropriated 73.59 million manats.
The investigation revealed cases of appropriation of budgetary funds and forgery in “Aztelekom” LLC, “AzİnTelekom” LLC, Center for information and calculations, “Optik Rabite Tikinti ve Qurashdırma”.
The director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, the director of “Bakı Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev are charged under articles 179.3.2 (embezzlement on a large scale), 308.2 (abuse of power) and 313 (forgery) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
The head of the ministry’s Office Vidadi Zeynalov, the director general of AzInTelekom LLC Jalil Jafarov, the director general of Azerpocht LLC Gambar Beybalayev face charges under articles 179.3.2 and 308.2. A preventive measure in the form of arrest has been chosen against all of those persons.
Related news releases
- 20.01.2018Armenian military fires at Azerbaijani border village
- 18.01.2018Nearly 93% of murders in Baku solved – police chief
- 17.01.2018Pistol found in Baku cemetery
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan concludes investigation of 214 criminal cases against 305 officials in 2017
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan Anti-Corruption Department names most corrupted spheres
- 17.01.2018Russian scientist returns home after detention in Azerbaijan
- 17.01.2018Three injured as car carrying Arab tourists overturns in Azerbaijan
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan puts 34 people on Interpol wanted list on corruption charges
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan Anti-Corruption Dept: Properties worth AZN 15 mln of people accused of corruption seized
- 16.01.2018Mud volcano erupts in Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018More details emerge of detention of Russian scientist in Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018Interior Minister: 1,028 criminal groups accused of committing 2,698 crimes neutralized in Azerbaijan last year
- 13.01.2018Artillery shells found in Aghdam’s Guzanli
- 13.01.2018Attic of residential house collapses in Shirvan, one person gets stuck under
- 13.01.2018Two detained in Azerbaijan over hoax call about terror attack, police say
- 13.01.2018Azerbaijani police seize over 5.5 kg of drugs
- 12.01.2018Afgan Mukhtarli sentenced to 6 years in prison - UPDATED
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani custom officers prevent sturgeon smuggling
- 11.01.2018Border guards detain three persons who tried to illegally leave Azerbaijan
- 11.01.2018Vehicle carrying film crew of Azerbaijani TV channel crashes into barrier
- 09.01.2018Austrian mountaineer says 'it would be easier to find missing Azerbaijani climbers if they equipped with special devices'
- 09.01.2018Deputy Minister: Sports club directly responsible for not providing missing mountaineers with necessary equipment
- 09.01.2018Search for missing Azerbaijani mountaineers will continue – ministry
- 09.01.2018Operational headquarters created to conduct search for missing mountaineers in Azerbaijan holds meeting
- 09.01.2018Iranian woman, daughter detained at Baku airport with fake passports
- 06.01.2018Azerbaijan opens criminal case after mountain climbers go missing - OFFICIAL STATEMENT
- 05.01.2018Azerbaijan hit by earthquake
- 05.01.2018Baku police detain persons over false notification of bomb threat in hotel and storage
- 05.01.2018Prosecutor General: Persons accused of committing most resonant crimes in Azerbaijan last year exposed
- 04.01.20189 killed, 45 injured in Azerbaijan road accidents during holidays
- 03.01.2018Russia puts Azerbaijani on Interpol wanted list on terror charges
- 30.12.2017Search underway for missing mountain climbers
- 30.12.2017Cybercriminal who stole money from Azerbaijani banks detained and extradited to Azerbaijan
- 30.12.2017ANAMA specialists involved in search for missing mountain climbers
- 29.12.2017Bodies of Azerbaijanis killed in car crash in Russia brought to homeland
- 29.12.2017Search underway for missing mountain climbers in Azerbaijan
- 28.12.2017Additional rescue team joins search for missing mountaineers in Azerbaijan
- 27.12.2017Search underway for missing climbers in Azerbaijan, special headquarters set up
- 27.12.2017One of missing Azerbaijani climbers is employee of Interior Ministry’s press service
- 27.12.2017Azerbaijani MES releases information on missing mountain climbers
- 19.05.2017Prosecutor seeks 14-year sentence for Vidadi Zeynalov
- 19.05.2017Azerbaijani accused of killing Ukrainian kickboxer standing trial
- 20.05.2017Man shooting 26-year-old youth detained in Baku
- 17.05.2017Baku court resumes trial on appeal filed by Leyla and Arif Yunus
- 15.05.2017Akif Chovdarov's trial continues
- 15.05.2017Azerbaijani SSS launches investigation into reports of persons who collaborated with liquidated MNS