Trial continues in case of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Thursday continued the trial in the criminal case involving Vidadi Zeynalov, former head of the Office of the Ministry of Communications and High Technologies, and other people arrested alongside him.
Vidadi Zeynalov gave testimony at the trial presided over by judge Afgan Hajiyev, APA reported.
Zeynalov said that he read the indictment in detail and he did not agree with the document. “I don’t know how the investigative body has made the calculation related to the damage caused. There are many controversial points in the investigation materials”, he noted.
The former official spoke in detail about his properties which are under arrest.
“I had made a will by listing my properties, as well as the ones that my mother and close relatives officially donated to me and put it into a safe. The night I was detained, it was taken from the safe. The list was publicized in all websites that night. Who needed it? They added into the list the houses of my sisters, brothers, brothers-in-law, daughter and neighbors, the lands donated by the state to them, the lands I rented by concluding a contract with municipality, and transferred the data to media”, he added.
He said the figures were exaggerated during the investigation.
Answering the questions of lawyers, Zeynalov said he wants to sell his properties. “But for this, the arrest on my property must be lifted so that I could sell them and compensate for the damage,” he said.
The judge said that the issue of property will be solved at the end.
The former head of Azerpocht, Gambar Beybalayev, said that he is unaware of what he is accused of. “Vidadi Zeynalov said in his testimony that some employees of their department received ‘envelopes with money’ under the instruction of former minister Ali Abbasov. I have never received these envelopes and had nothing to do with those who received them. Earlier our monthly salaries were very low. I asked the minister to increase our salaries. He offered to give an envelope with money, but I didn’t agree with that idea. Vidadi Zeynalov also supported me, and our salaries were somehow increased. I have never received extra money,” he added.
The trial will continue on May 19.
A series of investigative operations had discovered that in 2009-2015, the director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, entered into a criminal conspiracy with the director of “Bakı Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev, gave them a project for the implementation of works on the new telephone lines and installation of new equipment. According to the agreement concluded between them, 35-45% are listed on the accounts of these companies means then had to be returned in cash to Beytullah Huseynov. After that Beytullah Huseynov, abusing official powers and organizing sham tenders issued forged documents, which indicated that the work for the fiber-optic lines for the Internet were carried out by companies controlled by him, though in reality, these works were carried out by local telephone networks. Because of these machinations Beytulla Huseynov misappropriated 21,379,000 of 71,263 million manats, transfers to accounts controlled by him LLC. However, investigators have reason to suspect that the head of the ministry’s Office, Vidadi Zeynalov, processing government orders to close the company itself and increasing their value by 4-5 times, misappropriated 73.59 million manats.
The investigation revealed cases of appropriation of budgetary funds and forgery in “Aztelekom” LLC, “AzİnTelekom” LLC, Center for information and calculations, “Optik Rabite Tikinti ve Qurashdırma”.
The director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, the director of “Bakı Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev are charged under articles 179.3.2 (embezzlement on a large scale), 308.2 (abuse of power) and 313 (forgery) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
The head of the ministry’s Office Vidadi Zeynalov, the director general of AzInTelekom LLC Jalil Jafarov, the director general of Azerpocht LLC Gambar Beybalayev face charges under articles 179.3.2 and 308.2. A preventive measure in the form of arrest has been chosen against all of those persons.
Related news releases
- 20.11.2017Astara man commits suicide
- 20.11.2017Baku city prosecutor’s office issues statement on Lokbatan plant explosion
- 20.11.2017Another quake jolts Azerbaijan
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, who drowned in river while saving two children in Russia, awarded posthumously
- 20.11.2017One dead after explosion at plant in Baku
- 18.11.2017Quake jolts Azerbaijan’s south
- 17.11.2017Landslide in Baku, worker trapped under mud rescued - UPDATED
- 16.11.2017Preliminary information on earthquake reveals no casualty - UPDATED
- 16.11.2017Magnitude 6 earthquake hits Azerbaijani regions - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017General Prosecutor's Office: Stones were thrown at a bus in Sumgayit
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani citizen murders his fellow countryman in Moscow, confirm law enforcement
- 13.11.2017Two embassy cars collide in Baku
- 13.11.2017Prosecutor seeks 15-year jail sentence for ex-official of MNS
- 13.11.2017Kidnappers detained in Azerbaijan
- 11.11.2017Armenian-made landmine found in Aghdam
- 11.11.2017Man who left his sister with Iranian drug dealers as pledge gets arrested attempting to enter Azerbaijan with a large amount of narcotics
- 11.11.2017Two fishermen go missing in Caspian
- 11.11.2017MES: During fire in residential building 15 rescued and 20 evacuated
- 10.11.2017Fire breaks out in apartment building in Baku
- 10.11.2017Azerbaijan’s former national security minister Eldar Mahmudov questioned again
- 10.11.2017Fire in Baku business center extinguished - UPDATED
- 07.11.2017Police raid car showrooms owned by Azerbaijanis in Moscow
- 07.11.2017Vugar Mahmudov fails to file appeal against court decision
- 04.11.2017Azerbaijani citizen suspected of treason detained
- 02.11.2017Two Azerbaijanis who killed a man suspected of involvement in Rovshan Lankaransky’s murder detained Russia
- 02.11.2017Azerbaijani General Prosecutor’s Office, Interior Ministry release joint statement on special op to catch second escaped convict
- 02.11.2017Criminal case against Turan News Agency and Mehman Aliyev terminated
- 01.11.2017Recent prisoner escape discussed at Azerbaijani Justice Ministry’s collegium meeting
- 31.10.2017Employees of Azerbaijani Penitentiary Service arrested over prisoner escape face additional charge
- 30.10.2017Akif Chovdarov and others' property worth AZN 33M to be confiscated
- 30.10.2017Court to send appeal to Azerbaijani president to strip Akif Chovdarov of general rank
- 30.10.2017Ex-official of Azerbaijan’s national security ministry jailed for 12 years - UPDATED
- 30.10.2017Azerbaijani singer arrested for helping prisoners escape
- 30.10.2017Interpol-wanted Azerbaijani citizen detained in Georgia
- 27.10.2017Baku City Prosecutor’s Office initiates criminal case over sale of prohibited medicines in unlicensed pharmacy
- 27.10.2017Azerbaijan's State Security Service: Four more people detained in anti-terror operation
- 26.10.2017Azerbaijan Penitentiary Service: One of escapees captured
- 26.10.2017Ammo found in apartment of people who planned terrorist attack during rally in Baku
- 25.10.2017Group of persons planning terrorist attack at rally liquidated
- 25.10.2017Azerbaijan’s State Security Service seizes over $71,000 from currency smugglers
- 19.05.2017Prosecutor seeks 14-year sentence for Vidadi Zeynalov
- 19.05.2017Azerbaijani accused of killing Ukrainian kickboxer standing trial
- 20.05.2017Man shooting 26-year-old youth detained in Baku
- 17.05.2017Baku court resumes trial on appeal filed by Leyla and Arif Yunus
- 15.05.2017Akif Chovdarov's trial continues
- 15.05.2017Azerbaijani SSS launches investigation into reports of persons who collaborated with liquidated MNS