Trial continues in case of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Thursday continued the trial in the criminal case involving Vidadi Zeynalov, former head of the Office of the Ministry of Communications and High Technologies, and other people arrested alongside him.
Vidadi Zeynalov gave testimony at the trial presided over by judge Afgan Hajiyev, APA reported.
Zeynalov said that he read the indictment in detail and he did not agree with the document. “I don’t know how the investigative body has made the calculation related to the damage caused. There are many controversial points in the investigation materials”, he noted.
The former official spoke in detail about his properties which are under arrest.
“I had made a will by listing my properties, as well as the ones that my mother and close relatives officially donated to me and put it into a safe. The night I was detained, it was taken from the safe. The list was publicized in all websites that night. Who needed it? They added into the list the houses of my sisters, brothers, brothers-in-law, daughter and neighbors, the lands donated by the state to them, the lands I rented by concluding a contract with municipality, and transferred the data to media”, he added.
He said the figures were exaggerated during the investigation.
Answering the questions of lawyers, Zeynalov said he wants to sell his properties. “But for this, the arrest on my property must be lifted so that I could sell them and compensate for the damage,” he said.
The judge said that the issue of property will be solved at the end.
The former head of Azerpocht, Gambar Beybalayev, said that he is unaware of what he is accused of. “Vidadi Zeynalov said in his testimony that some employees of their department received ‘envelopes with money’ under the instruction of former minister Ali Abbasov. I have never received these envelopes and had nothing to do with those who received them. Earlier our monthly salaries were very low. I asked the minister to increase our salaries. He offered to give an envelope with money, but I didn’t agree with that idea. Vidadi Zeynalov also supported me, and our salaries were somehow increased. I have never received extra money,” he added.
The trial will continue on May 19.
A series of investigative operations had discovered that in 2009-2015, the director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, entered into a criminal conspiracy with the director of “Bakı Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev, gave them a project for the implementation of works on the new telephone lines and installation of new equipment. According to the agreement concluded between them, 35-45% are listed on the accounts of these companies means then had to be returned in cash to Beytullah Huseynov. After that Beytullah Huseynov, abusing official powers and organizing sham tenders issued forged documents, which indicated that the work for the fiber-optic lines for the Internet were carried out by companies controlled by him, though in reality, these works were carried out by local telephone networks. Because of these machinations Beytulla Huseynov misappropriated 21,379,000 of 71,263 million manats, transfers to accounts controlled by him LLC. However, investigators have reason to suspect that the head of the ministry’s Office, Vidadi Zeynalov, processing government orders to close the company itself and increasing their value by 4-5 times, misappropriated 73.59 million manats.
The investigation revealed cases of appropriation of budgetary funds and forgery in “Aztelekom” LLC, “AzİnTelekom” LLC, Center for information and calculations, “Optik Rabite Tikinti ve Qurashdırma”.
The director general of Baku Telephone Network Production Association Beytulla Huseynov, the director of “Bakı Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Temir Techizat Servis” companies Bayram Valiyev, the director of "3 nomreli Rabite Temir Tikinti” and “Rabite Mulki Tikinti” companies Emin Mammadov and the chief accountant of the Baku Telephone Network Production Association Anar Mustafayev are charged under articles 179.3.2 (embezzlement on a large scale), 308.2 (abuse of power) and 313 (forgery) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
The head of the ministry’s Office Vidadi Zeynalov, the director general of AzInTelekom LLC Jalil Jafarov, the director general of Azerpocht LLC Gambar Beybalayev face charges under articles 179.3.2 and 308.2. A preventive measure in the form of arrest has been chosen against all of those persons.
Related news releases
- 24.05.2017Inmate hangs himself in Azerbaijan
- 23.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets Baku 2017 winners and their coaches
- 20.05.2017Traffic to be restricted in Baku on day of closing of Islamic Solidarity Games
- 20.05.2017Man shooting 26-year-old youth detained in Baku
- 19.05.2017Azerbaijani accused of killing Ukrainian kickboxer standing trial
- 19.05.2017Prosecutor seeks 14-year sentence for Vidadi Zeynalov
- 18.05.2017Trial continues in case of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
- 17.05.2017Baku court resumes trial on appeal filed by Leyla and Arif Yunus
- 15.05.2017Akif Chovdarov's trial continues
- 15.05.2017Azerbaijani SSS launches investigation into reports of persons who collaborated with liquidated MNS
- 13.05.2017Terrific road accident kills 4 in Yevlakh
- 11.05.2017Another earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Saatli
- 10.05.2017Azerbaijanis detained after incident with Armenians in St. Petersburg march released
- 08.05.2017Terrific road accident kills 4 in Nakhcivan
- 03.05.2017Colonel Ilgar Aliyev, who committed suicide, revealed to have testified against Eldar Mahmudov and Elchin Guliyev
- 03.05.2017Vidadi Zeynalov: I have fulfilled tasks set by ministry leadership - UPDATED
- 03.05.2017Earthquake hits Dagestan, tremors felt in Azerbaijan’s Zagatala
- 02.05.2017Azerbaijan eliminates armed trespasser
- 02.05.2017Mud volcano erupts in Baku suburb
- 01.05.2017Justice Ministry and Prosecutor General’s Office release joint statement on Mehman Galandarov’s death
- 01.05.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial postponed
- 26.04.2017Azerbaijan detains Georgian national who tried to hide in Azerbaijan after committing crime
- 24.04.2017Former MNS general to stand trial this week
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan detains two trespassers, one of them attempts suicide
- 21.04.2017Interpol-wanted Azerbaijani citizen detained in Tbilisi
- 20.04.2017Landslide hits Azerbaijan’s Shamakhi, walls of two houses collapse
- 20.04.201738 criminal groups rendered harmless in Baku in 1Q 2017
- 19.04.2017Preliminary investigation into case of APFP chairman’s assistant completed
- 19.04.2017Judicial investigation into criminal case of Azerbaijan’s ex-heath minister completed
- 19.04.2017Baku Court of Appeal begins trial on appeal filed by Leyla and Arif Yunus
- 19.04.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official postponed due to absence of judge
- 19.04.2017Moscow police detain Azerbaijani man suspected of opening fire on his compatriot’s car
- 18.04.2017162 dead in road accidents in Azerbaijan since early 2017
- 17.04.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial continues - UPDATED
- 17.04.2017Man killed in horrific car crash in Baku turns out to be a victim in Akif Chovdarov’s case
- 17.04.2017Illegal firearm and ammunition seized from Barda resident’s house
- 14.04.2017Fire occurs in Baby House, 18 babies rescued
- 14.04.2017Three people killed in car crash in Baku identified - UPDATED
- 13.04.2017Russian citizen Marat Ueldanov arrested on drug charges in Azerbaijan standing trial
- 12.04.2017Criminal case opened over building collapse in Baku
- 28.04.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
- 29.04.2017Former deputy head of Azerbaijan’s Khazar district executive authority recognized as victim in case of MNS ex-official
- 01.05.2017Baku man detained for extorting money from businessmen by blackmailing on social networks
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijani MNS ex-official: 2 mln manats taken from budget sent to Eldar Mahmudov
- 27.04.2017Preliminary hearing held in case of Azerbaijani MNS ex-general
- 26.04.2017Azerbaijani Prosecutor General’s Office investigating reports of criminal case against Azerbaijani companies in Ukraine