Trial concludes for ‘fake MNS employees’ charged with $3.4M fraud
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Thursday completed the trial of several persons, who defrauded a Baku resident out of $3.4 million by introducing themselves as employees of the Ministry of National Security (MNS).
A court judgment was announced at the trial presided over judge Tamella Nasrullayeva.
According to the judgment, the defendants – Logman Abdullayev and Nurlan Bayramov were each sentenced to 18 years in prison, Parviz Rzayev and Emin Gasimov to 16 years each.
Other defendants – Ruslan Hajiyev, being under house arrest, was sentenced to probation with the period of 5 years, Farhad Taghiyev was fined 3,000 manats under recognizance not to leave, Garay Abdulov was fined 2,000 mants and Tural Babazade was sentenced to probation with the period of 3 years.
Earlier, Baku resident Tofig Zulfugarov appealed to the Interior Ministry, claiming that a group of persons introducing themselves as MNS employees defrauded him out of $3.4 million.
The Interior Ministry’s Main Directorate for Combating Organized Crime immediately initiated a criminal case on the incident.
The measures taken found out that on 1 May 2015, Logman Abdullayev, Emin Gasimov, Ruslan Hajiyev, Parviz Rzayev, Farhad Tagiyev and other persons, who lived in Baku, took the victim from Gala settlement of Khatai district to his apartment in Khatai district and defraud a large amount of money under the pretext of investigating the source of the funds.
Thereafter, members of the criminal group sent the victim to Moscow after illegally detaining him in one of objects located near Ulduz metro station for three days. Then, the members of the group left the country.
Related news releases
- 28.06.2017Man migrated with Musavat's fake membership card declared wanted
- 28.06.2017Men raided country house in Baku, beat guard, then set fire to house
- 28.06.201710 died in traffic accidents in Azerbaijan during holidays
- 21.06.2017Lawyers seek acquittal for Vidadi Zeynalov
- 21.06.2017Former Baku Metro chief testifies at trial of national security ministry’s ex-employees
- 21.06.2017Child poisoned to death by own mother in Azerbaijan
- 20.06.2017ANAMA: Two Azerbaijan citizens injured in mine blast on Turkey-Iran border - UPDATED
- 20.06.2017Armenians seeking to be a “hero” on paper: Azerbaijani MoD
- 20.06.2017US embassy car crashes in Baku
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijan issues int’l arrest warrant for 5 people accused of abduction
- 19.06.2017Secretary of Malaysian embassy gets into road accident in Baku
- 17.06.2017Baku court begins trial in International Bank employee’s case
- 16.06.2017Russian court extends prison sentence of Azerbaijani national accused of recruiting students for terror organizations
- 14.06.2017Trial continues for ex-ministry official Vidadi Zeynalov charged with embezzlement
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijan detains 32 trespassers in May
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office denies MP’s statement on Afgan Mukhtarli
- 10.06.2017Fire at Baku Sadarak Trade Center localized- UPDATED
- 09.06.2017Man kills his parents in Masalli region
- 09.06.2017Ex-ministry official Beytulla Huseynov, accused of embezzlement, pays for damage caused to state
- 09.06.2017Man stabs his wife, two minor children to death in Azerbaijan’s Mingachevir
- 07.06.2017Hilal Asadov testifies in Akif Chovdarov’s trial
- 07.06.2017UAE embassy gets into accident in Baku
- 06.06.2017Azerbaijan, Russia hold joint cross-border operations
- 06.06.2017Azerbaijan completes investigation of 73 corruption-related cases since early 2017
- 06.06.2017Baku court dismisses appeal by Afgan Mukhtarli
- 06.06.2017Fortune teller detained in Baku
- 05.06.2017Akif Chovdarov's trial continues
- 02.06.2017Court denies APFP deputy chairperson’s appeal
- 02.06.2017Trial in case of ex-ministry official Vidadi Zeynalov continues
- 01.06.2017Court denies appeal filed by former IBA head
- 01.06.2017Azerbaijani SBS, Prosecutor General’s Office release statement on journalist Afgan Mukhtarli’s arrest
- 31.05.2017Journalist Afgan Mukhtarli put in 3-month pretrial detention
- 31.05.2017Azerbaijani court resumes trial in ex-ministry official's case
- 31.05.2017Prosecutor General's Office comments on journalist Afgan Mukhtarli’s detention
- 30.05.2017Gozal Bayramli has traveled to Georgia 41 times since early 2015: official statement
- 30.05.2017Criminal case opened over Baku car crash that killed police officer - UPDATED
- 27.05.2017Anti-pedestrian mine found in Jojuq Marjanli
- 27.05.2017One-year-old boy dies after being hit by dad’s car in Azerbaijan
- 27.05.2017SSS head: No provocation committed during Islamic Solidarity Games
- 27.05.2017State Security Service transferred information about spy network to Defense Ministry - minister
- 19.01.2017About 12,000 crimes committed last year in Azerbaijani capital
- 20.01.2017Belarus to extradite Alexander Lapshin to Azerbaijan
- 21.01.2017Large amount of money stolen from ATM in Baku
- 19.01.2017Mother and baby die during childbirth in Azerbaijan
- 18.01.2017Trial resumed for Azerbaijani security ministry’s ex-employees - UPDATED-1
- 18.01.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official