Trial concludes for ‘fake MNS employees’ charged with $3.4M fraud
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Thursday completed the trial of several persons, who defrauded a Baku resident out of $3.4 million by introducing themselves as employees of the Ministry of National Security (MNS).
A court judgment was announced at the trial presided over judge Tamella Nasrullayeva.
According to the judgment, the defendants – Logman Abdullayev and Nurlan Bayramov were each sentenced to 18 years in prison, Parviz Rzayev and Emin Gasimov to 16 years each.
Other defendants – Ruslan Hajiyev, being under house arrest, was sentenced to probation with the period of 5 years, Farhad Taghiyev was fined 3,000 manats under recognizance not to leave, Garay Abdulov was fined 2,000 mants and Tural Babazade was sentenced to probation with the period of 3 years.
Earlier, Baku resident Tofig Zulfugarov appealed to the Interior Ministry, claiming that a group of persons introducing themselves as MNS employees defrauded him out of $3.4 million.
The Interior Ministry’s Main Directorate for Combating Organized Crime immediately initiated a criminal case on the incident.
The measures taken found out that on 1 May 2015, Logman Abdullayev, Emin Gasimov, Ruslan Hajiyev, Parviz Rzayev, Farhad Tagiyev and other persons, who lived in Baku, took the victim from Gala settlement of Khatai district to his apartment in Khatai district and defraud a large amount of money under the pretext of investigating the source of the funds.
Thereafter, members of the criminal group sent the victim to Moscow after illegally detaining him in one of objects located near Ulduz metro station for three days. Then, the members of the group left the country.
Related news releases
- 16.01.2018Mud volcano erupts in Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018More details emerge of detention of Russian scientist in Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018Interior Minister: 1,028 criminal groups accused of committing 2,698 crimes neutralized in Azerbaijan last year
- 13.01.2018Artillery shells found in Aghdam’s Guzanli
- 13.01.2018Attic of residential house collapses in Shirvan, one person gets stuck under
- 13.01.2018Two detained in Azerbaijan over hoax call about terror attack, police say
- 13.01.2018Azerbaijani police seize over 5.5 kg of drugs
- 12.01.2018Afgan Mukhtarli sentenced to 6 years in prison - UPDATED
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani custom officers prevent sturgeon smuggling
- 11.01.2018Border guards detain three persons who tried to illegally leave Azerbaijan
- 11.01.2018Vehicle carrying film crew of Azerbaijani TV channel crashes into barrier
- 09.01.2018Austrian mountaineer says 'it would be easier to find missing Azerbaijani climbers if they equipped with special devices'
- 09.01.2018Deputy Minister: Sports club directly responsible for not providing missing mountaineers with necessary equipment
- 09.01.2018Search for missing Azerbaijani mountaineers will continue – ministry
- 09.01.2018Operational headquarters created to conduct search for missing mountaineers in Azerbaijan holds meeting
- 09.01.2018Iranian woman, daughter detained at Baku airport with fake passports
- 06.01.2018Azerbaijan opens criminal case after mountain climbers go missing - OFFICIAL STATEMENT
- 05.01.2018Azerbaijan hit by earthquake
- 05.01.2018Baku police detain persons over false notification of bomb threat in hotel and storage
- 05.01.2018Prosecutor General: Persons accused of committing most resonant crimes in Azerbaijan last year exposed
- 04.01.20189 killed, 45 injured in Azerbaijan road accidents during holidays
- 03.01.2018Russia puts Azerbaijani on Interpol wanted list on terror charges
- 30.12.2017Search underway for missing mountain climbers
- 30.12.2017Cybercriminal who stole money from Azerbaijani banks detained and extradited to Azerbaijan
- 30.12.2017ANAMA specialists involved in search for missing mountain climbers
- 29.12.2017Bodies of Azerbaijanis killed in car crash in Russia brought to homeland
- 29.12.2017Search underway for missing mountain climbers in Azerbaijan
- 28.12.2017Additional rescue team joins search for missing mountaineers in Azerbaijan
- 27.12.2017Search underway for missing climbers in Azerbaijan, special headquarters set up
- 27.12.2017One of missing Azerbaijani climbers is employee of Interior Ministry’s press service
- 27.12.2017Azerbaijani MES releases information on missing mountain climbers
- 25.12.2017Azerbaijan businessman and son die in car crash in Russia
- 23.12.20174-magnitude quake hits Azerbaijan’s Ismayilli
- 23.12.2017Accident in Ethylene-Propylene factory in Sumgayit kills one
- 22.12.2017Prosecutor General’s Office to investigate reasons for school principal’s suicide attempt in Goychay
- 21.12.2017Search ends at Baku Railway Station after hoax bomb call - UPDATED
- 20.12.2017Russia puts Azerbaijani on Interpol wanted list on terror charges
- 20.12.2017Detainees attempt suicide inside police station in Azerbaijan
- 16.12.2017Georgia detains drug trafficker at border with Azerbaijan
- 15.12.2017Sri Lankan citizen dies in Azerbaijan’s tourism center
- 19.01.2017About 12,000 crimes committed last year in Azerbaijani capital
- 20.01.2017Belarus to extradite Alexander Lapshin to Azerbaijan
- 21.01.2017Large amount of money stolen from ATM in Baku
- 19.01.2017Mother and baby die during childbirth in Azerbaijan
- 18.01.2017Trial resumed for Azerbaijani security ministry’s ex-employees - UPDATED-1
- 18.01.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official