Trial concludes for ‘fake MNS employees’ charged with $3.4M fraud
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Thursday completed the trial of several persons, who defrauded a Baku resident out of $3.4 million by introducing themselves as employees of the Ministry of National Security (MNS).
A court judgment was announced at the trial presided over judge Tamella Nasrullayeva.
According to the judgment, the defendants – Logman Abdullayev and Nurlan Bayramov were each sentenced to 18 years in prison, Parviz Rzayev and Emin Gasimov to 16 years each.
Other defendants – Ruslan Hajiyev, being under house arrest, was sentenced to probation with the period of 5 years, Farhad Taghiyev was fined 3,000 manats under recognizance not to leave, Garay Abdulov was fined 2,000 mants and Tural Babazade was sentenced to probation with the period of 3 years.
Earlier, Baku resident Tofig Zulfugarov appealed to the Interior Ministry, claiming that a group of persons introducing themselves as MNS employees defrauded him out of $3.4 million.
The Interior Ministry’s Main Directorate for Combating Organized Crime immediately initiated a criminal case on the incident.
The measures taken found out that on 1 May 2015, Logman Abdullayev, Emin Gasimov, Ruslan Hajiyev, Parviz Rzayev, Farhad Tagiyev and other persons, who lived in Baku, took the victim from Gala settlement of Khatai district to his apartment in Khatai district and defraud a large amount of money under the pretext of investigating the source of the funds.
Thereafter, members of the criminal group sent the victim to Moscow after illegally detaining him in one of objects located near Ulduz metro station for three days. Then, the members of the group left the country.
Related news releases
- 23.03.2018Azerbaijani citizen detained while attempting to smuggle 40kg of jewelry to Georgia
- 22.03.2018Prisoner’s brother attempts to carry narcotic substance inside his nose to prison
- 22.03.2018Azerbaijan’s border guards prevent another drug smuggling attempt
- 20.03.2018Bulgarian and Azerbaijani citizens die in car crash in Goygol
- 20.03.2018Car crashes into tree, 2 dead and 3 injured
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan prosecutes 44 foreigners for drug trafficking in 2017
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan detains two suspected drug smugglers
- 19.03.2018Baku police seize nearly 36 kg of drugs in two days
- 16.03.2018Six people killed in car crash on Aghsu-Kurdamir highway
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijan puts gang member accused of killing hostage on Interpol wanted list
- 16.03.2018Criminal case against ex-chairman of management board of Azerbaijani bank sent to court
- 15.03.2018Trial resumed for ex-employees of Azerbaijani National Security Ministry
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani State Security Service reveals gang engaged in illegal human organ trade
- 14.03.2018Cyber-swindler detained in Azerbaijan
- 13.03.2018Five Azerbaijani families may be evicted from their homes in Tbilisi
- 13.03.2018Azerbaijani Coast Guard rescues fishermen from stormy sea
- 12.03.2018Iranian citizens detained in Baku over smuggling of drugs
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijani border guards prevent drug smuggling attempt
- 12.03.2018Fishermen rescued from sea in adverse weather
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan detains four foreigners for border trespassing attempt
- 09.03.2018Two Azerbaijani citizens detained in Kiev
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijan detains two Iranians for maritime trespassing
- 07.03.2018Members of extremist religious group eliminated in Azerbaijan
- 06.03.2018Russian citizen suspected of murder detained at Azerbaijani-Georgian border
- 06.03.2018Quake hits Caspian Sea
- 06.03.2018Fire at Baku drug rehab center was arson, one arrested
- 05.03.2018Azerbaijani Prosecutor General’s Office releases information on death of 6 family members in Sumgayit
- 05.03.2018Six family members die of carbon monoxide poisoning in Azerbaijan
- 02.03.2018Hotline created in connection with Drug Rehab Center fire in Azerbaijan
- 02.03.2018Testimony by AzTV chairman during preliminary investigation made public
- 02.03.2018Famous Azerbaijani journalist dies from carbon monoxide poisoning
- 02.03.2018Azerbaijan sets up State Commission in connection with Drug Rehab Center fire
- 02.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev instructs to investigate causes of fire in drug abuse treatment center
- 02.03.201825 people killed in fire outbreak in Azerbaijani drug abuse treatment center
- 02.03.201843 fire engines involved in extinguishing fire in Azerbaijani drug abuse treatment center
- 02.03.2018Fire outbreak in Azerbaijani drug abuse treatment center kills 24 people - UPDATED
- 02.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev arrives at Drug Abuse Treatment Center after fire outbreak
- 02.03.2018Azerbaijani officials arrive at Baku Drug Abuse Treatment Center after fire outbreak
- 01.03.2018Azerbaijan initiates criminal cases against some construction companies for labor law violations
- 01.03.2018Two persons accused of theft in apartment of building constructed for journalists in Baku detained
- 19.01.2017About 12,000 crimes committed last year in Azerbaijani capital
- 20.01.2017Belarus to extradite Alexander Lapshin to Azerbaijan
- 21.01.2017Large amount of money stolen from ATM in Baku
- 19.01.2017Mother and baby die during childbirth in Azerbaijan
- 18.01.2017Trial resumed for Azerbaijani security ministry’s ex-employees - UPDATED-1
- 18.01.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official