Trial concludes for ‘fake MNS employees’ charged with $3.4M fraud
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Thursday completed the trial of several persons, who defrauded a Baku resident out of $3.4 million by introducing themselves as employees of the Ministry of National Security (MNS).
A court judgment was announced at the trial presided over judge Tamella Nasrullayeva.
According to the judgment, the defendants – Logman Abdullayev and Nurlan Bayramov were each sentenced to 18 years in prison, Parviz Rzayev and Emin Gasimov to 16 years each.
Other defendants – Ruslan Hajiyev, being under house arrest, was sentenced to probation with the period of 5 years, Farhad Taghiyev was fined 3,000 manats under recognizance not to leave, Garay Abdulov was fined 2,000 mants and Tural Babazade was sentenced to probation with the period of 3 years.
Earlier, Baku resident Tofig Zulfugarov appealed to the Interior Ministry, claiming that a group of persons introducing themselves as MNS employees defrauded him out of $3.4 million.
The Interior Ministry’s Main Directorate for Combating Organized Crime immediately initiated a criminal case on the incident.
The measures taken found out that on 1 May 2015, Logman Abdullayev, Emin Gasimov, Ruslan Hajiyev, Parviz Rzayev, Farhad Tagiyev and other persons, who lived in Baku, took the victim from Gala settlement of Khatai district to his apartment in Khatai district and defraud a large amount of money under the pretext of investigating the source of the funds.
Thereafter, members of the criminal group sent the victim to Moscow after illegally detaining him in one of objects located near Ulduz metro station for three days. Then, the members of the group left the country.
Related news releases
- 23.10.2017Azerbaijani citizen gets 21 years in prison for murdering two in Russia
- 23.10.2017Azerbaijani Prosecutor General’s Office initiates criminal case against two escaped convicts - UPDATED-2
- 23.10.2017Woman attempts to break into Azerbaijani embassy in Moscow
- 23.10.2017Inmate dies of illness in Azerbaijan
- 19.10.2017Car belonging to EU Delegation in Azerbaijan crashes in Baku
- 19.10.2017Suspects in murder of Iranian student in Baku involved in another crime, law enforcement say
- 19.10.2017Baku police arrest man who stole safe containing large amount of cash nine years ago
- 19.10.2017Azerbaijani Security Service seizes counterfeit excise stamps
- 17.10.2017Five arrested for murdering Iranian student in Azerbaijan
- 17.10.201740 unexploded shells found in Azerbaijan’s Sumgayit
- 17.10.2017Baku court holds preliminary hearing on appeal of Vidadi Zeynalov
- 17.10.2017ANAMA: Demining ops launched after weapons storage blast in Khizi to be completed by year-end
- 16.10.2017Worker dies after falling into elevator shaft into SOCAR administrative building
- 14.10.2017Truck carrying passenger vehicles over overturns in Azerbaijan’s Salyan
- 14.10.2017US Embassy car involved in accident in Baku
- 13.10.2017Unexploded ammunition found in Baku
- 13.10.2017Person accused of committing grave crime in Ukraine detained aboard Kyiv-Baku flight
- 13.10.2017Court extends Afgan Mukhtarli’s pretrial detention
- 12.10.2017Azerbaijani court issues verdict against Ramin Hajili and others who sought to get U.S. visa with fake documents
- 12.10.2017Supreme Court considers appeal by IBA ex-chairman
- 11.10.2017Brother of Abulfaz Elchibey dies
- 09.10.2017Banking-related criminal cases submitted to courts in Azerbaijan increase in numbers
- 09.10.2017Mother, underage son die from carbon monoxide poisoning in Baku
- 09.10.2017Kazakh military attaché involved in car crash in Baku
- 04.10.2017US Embassy car involved in accident in Baku
- 04.10.2017Akif Chovdarov asks court for acquittal - UPDATED-1
- 04.10.2017Akif Chovdarov making final statement at trial
- 04.10.2017Prosecutor seeks 12-year sentence for man accused of planning terror attacks in Azerbaijani universities
- 04.10.2017Azerbaijan: Russian citizens rescued after being trapped in Shamakhi mountains identified
- 03.10.2017Azerbaijan: Russian tourists trapped in Shamakhi mountains rescued - UPDATED-3
- 03.10.2017Baku Appellate Court considers appeal filed against verdict on Vidadi Zeynalov
- 02.10.2017Trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials continues
- 02.10.2017Four Azerbaijanis die in Ukraine hostel fire
- 27.09.2017Akif Chovdarov asks court for time to prepare for final statement
- 27.09.2017Hijab problem arises in Azerbaijani school in Georgia
- 26.09.2017Another IBA official charged with embezzlement standing trial
- 26.09.2017ANAMA: Clearance operation in area polluted after explosion at Khizi weapons storage will take long time
- 25.09.2017Emergency Situations Ministry releases statement on fire in building of BP’s Baku office - UPDATED
- 25.09.2017Azerbaijan’s consul in Iraq visits child found in territories freed from ISIL
- 21.09.2017Criminal case initiated against officials of Azerbaijan State Economic University
- 19.01.2017About 12,000 crimes committed last year in Azerbaijani capital
- 20.01.2017Belarus to extradite Alexander Lapshin to Azerbaijan
- 21.01.2017Large amount of money stolen from ATM in Baku
- 19.01.2017Mother and baby die during childbirth in Azerbaijan
- 18.01.2017Trial resumed for Azerbaijani security ministry’s ex-employees - UPDATED-1
- 18.01.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official