Testimony by AzTV chairman during preliminary investigation made public
The testimony given by Chairman of Azerbaijan Television and Radio Broadcasting CJSC Arif Alishanov during preliminary investigation has been made public.
Alishanov, who survived an assassination attempt, told investigators that he decided to buy a land plot in Shamakhy district in mid-2007 and for this purpose he came in contact with Nagharakhana village resident Shujaat Akbarov.
Alishanov went on to say that from 2012 to 2016 his family and relatives all put large amounts of money (6.2 million manats in total) together to set up a business in the agricultural and tourism sectors.
Alishanov added that he then asked Shujaat Akbarov for help with land purchase, giving him money in parts for this purpose. During the formalization of documents, however, it turned out that Shujaat Akbarov had sold a land plot in Kurdamir districts, instead of those in Shamakhy.
“In December 2016, Shujaat Akbarov told us he wanted to show us a pool built in Madrasa settlement during the USSR period and advised us to but it. At that time, I considered Shujaat’s offer to be normal. And now I understand that Shujaat wanted to take me to this area to kill. We then could not see that place. A few days after, we learned that Shujaat was detained by the police. Then it became known that Shujaat planned to kill me and my nephew, Dayanat Jafarov,” Alishanov said in his testimony during the preliminary investigation.
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Friday commenced a trial of Shujaat Akbarov, Gochali Jabiyev, Zohrab Shirinov and Agshin Huseynov, who are accused of attempting to murder Arif Alishanov, fraudulence and other crimes.
The issue of transferring the criminal case to the court was considered at the trial.
A judicial review was scheduled for March 7.
The defendants are charged under Article 29.120 (premeditated attempted murder), Article 178 (fraudulence) and other articles of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
Related news releases
- 20.03.2018Bulgarian and Azerbaijani citizens die in car crash in Goygol
- 20.03.2018Car crashes into tree, 2 dead and 3 injured
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan prosecutes 44 foreigners for drug trafficking in 2017
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan detains two suspected drug smugglers
- 19.03.2018Baku police seize nearly 36 kg of drugs in two days
- 16.03.2018Six people killed in car crash on Aghsu-Kurdamir highway
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijan puts gang member accused of killing hostage on Interpol wanted list
- 16.03.2018Criminal case against ex-chairman of management board of Azerbaijani bank sent to court
- 15.03.2018Trial resumed for ex-employees of Azerbaijani National Security Ministry
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani State Security Service reveals gang engaged in illegal human organ trade
- 14.03.2018Cyber-swindler detained in Azerbaijan
- 13.03.2018Five Azerbaijani families may be evicted from their homes in Tbilisi
- 13.03.2018Azerbaijani Coast Guard rescues fishermen from stormy sea
- 12.03.2018Iranian citizens detained in Baku over smuggling of drugs
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijani border guards prevent drug smuggling attempt
- 12.03.2018Fishermen rescued from sea in adverse weather
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan detains four foreigners for border trespassing attempt
- 09.03.2018Two Azerbaijani citizens detained in Kiev
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijan detains two Iranians for maritime trespassing
- 07.03.2018Members of extremist religious group eliminated in Azerbaijan
- 06.03.2018Russian citizen suspected of murder detained at Azerbaijani-Georgian border
- 06.03.2018Quake hits Caspian Sea
- 06.03.2018Fire at Baku drug rehab center was arson, one arrested
- 02.03.201825 people killed in fire outbreak in Azerbaijani drug abuse treatment center
- 02.03.201843 fire engines involved in extinguishing fire in Azerbaijani drug abuse treatment center
- 02.03.2018Fire outbreak in Azerbaijani drug abuse treatment center kills 24 people - UPDATED
- 02.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev arrives at Drug Abuse Treatment Center after fire outbreak
- 02.03.2018Azerbaijani officials arrive at Baku Drug Abuse Treatment Center after fire outbreak
- 01.03.2018Azerbaijan initiates criminal cases against some construction companies for labor law violations
- 01.03.2018Two persons accused of theft in apartment of building constructed for journalists in Baku detained
- 01.03.2018Supreme Court rejects appeal of Taleh Baghirov and others
- 01.03.2018Armed gang members detained in Azerbaijan’s Shirvan
- 28.02.2018Ministry of Emergency Situations: Search continues for crew member of Iranian cargo ship
- 28.02.201830 years pass since Sumgayit events
- 27.02.2018Azerbaijan: Criminal cases against some people accused of spying for Armenia sent to court
- 27.02.2018Azerbaijani border guards prevent drug smuggling via Caspian Sea
- 26.02.2018Armed man detained on territory of Baku port
- 26.02.2018Azerbaijan’s helicopter, two ships involved in search for Iranian sailor missing in Caspian Sea
- 22.02.2018Supreme Court commences hearing on appeal of Taleh Baghirov and others
- 22.02.2018Investigator: Eduard Grigoryan, arrested for Sumgayit events, handed over to Armenia in 1991
- 02.03.2018Hotline created in connection with Drug Rehab Center fire in Azerbaijan
- 05.03.2018Six family members die of carbon monoxide poisoning in Azerbaijan
- 05.03.2018Azerbaijani Prosecutor General’s Office releases information on death of 6 family members in Sumgayit
- 02.03.2018Famous Azerbaijani journalist dies from carbon monoxide poisoning
- 02.03.2018Azerbaijan sets up State Commission in connection with Drug Rehab Center fire
- 02.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev instructs to investigate causes of fire in drug abuse treatment center