Testimony by AzTV chairman during preliminary investigation made public
The testimony given by Chairman of Azerbaijan Television and Radio Broadcasting CJSC Arif Alishanov during preliminary investigation has been made public.
Alishanov, who survived an assassination attempt, told investigators that he decided to buy a land plot in Shamakhy district in mid-2007 and for this purpose he came in contact with Nagharakhana village resident Shujaat Akbarov.
Alishanov went on to say that from 2012 to 2016 his family and relatives all put large amounts of money (6.2 million manats in total) together to set up a business in the agricultural and tourism sectors.
Alishanov added that he then asked Shujaat Akbarov for help with land purchase, giving him money in parts for this purpose. During the formalization of documents, however, it turned out that Shujaat Akbarov had sold a land plot in Kurdamir districts, instead of those in Shamakhy.
“In December 2016, Shujaat Akbarov told us he wanted to show us a pool built in Madrasa settlement during the USSR period and advised us to but it. At that time, I considered Shujaat’s offer to be normal. And now I understand that Shujaat wanted to take me to this area to kill. We then could not see that place. A few days after, we learned that Shujaat was detained by the police. Then it became known that Shujaat planned to kill me and my nephew, Dayanat Jafarov,” Alishanov said in his testimony during the preliminary investigation.
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Friday commenced a trial of Shujaat Akbarov, Gochali Jabiyev, Zohrab Shirinov and Agshin Huseynov, who are accused of attempting to murder Arif Alishanov, fraudulence and other crimes.
The issue of transferring the criminal case to the court was considered at the trial.
A judicial review was scheduled for March 7.
The defendants are charged under Article 29.120 (premeditated attempted murder), Article 178 (fraudulence) and other articles of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
Related news releases
- 24.05.2018Two dead bodies found on boat in Caspian Sea – ministry - UPDATED-1
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani State Security Service, Financial Market Supervisory Authority conduct join operation
- 21.05.2018Baku café explosion: Two dead, two injured - UPDATED-2
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani citizen buried in cemetery of the nameless after committing suicide in Turkey
- 21.05.2018$30,000 and jewelry items worth AZN 100,000 stolen from home in Baku
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan detains Iranian national for attempting to smuggle 10 Scottish Fold kittens to Iran
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan's Pardon Issues Commission considers about 1,100 appeals - UPDATED
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan detains two over sale of fake excise stamps
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan detains 3 foreigners with fake visas
- 16.05.2018Bodies of all three missing Azerbaijani mountaineers found - UPDATED
- 16.05.2018Two houses destroyed after landslide hits Bayil slope in Baku
- 14.05.2018Missile discovered in Goranboy forest
- 08.05.2018Fire in house kills husband and wife in Masalli
- 07.05.2018Baku court commences trial of Moldova citizen accused of stealing about AZN1.5 million from Azerbaijani bank
- 07.05.2018Azerbaijan reveals organized group engaged in illicit medicines trade
- 04.05.2018Baku drug rehab center director arrested over 2 March fire accident
- 03.05.20182 persons detained for demanding $50,000 from head of energy drink company in Azerbaijan
- 02.05.2018Remains of 6 Azerbaijanis killed in World War II found in Russia
- 02.05.2018Foreigners detained in Baku for attempting to exchange counterfeit money in bank
- 01.05.20181 killed, 6 injured in nasty traffic accident in Azerbaijan
- 01.05.2018Azerbaijan detains five foreigners for border trespassing attempt
- 28.04.2018No one was injured in fire in Baku high-rise – Deputy Minister - PHOTOSESSION - UPDATED-5
- 28.04.2018Emergency Situations Ministry issues statement on Baku high-rise fire
- 27.04.2018Azerbaijan detains 3 foreigners for attempting to get to Europe on fake passports
- 26.04.2018Former Azerbaijani MP Huseyn Abdullayev faces additional charges
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijan’s border guards foil drug smuggling attempt
- 24.04.2018Details emerge of armed assault on Azerbaijani family in Georgia - UPDATED
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani court upholds State Security Service’s AZN 1M lawsuit against liquidated MNS
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani court pronounces verdict against ex-employees of liquidated national security ministry
- 23.04.2018State Security Service: Illegal religious complex revealed in Baku
- 20.04.2018Three artillery shells found on territory of police station in Baku
- 20.04.2018Court to pronounce verdict against ex-employees of liquidated MNS on April 23
- 19.04.2018Shells and grenade discovered around reservoir in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.201853 Azerbaijani citizens convicted abroad repatriated in 2017
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani citizen on Interpol wanted list on fraud charges
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijani female member of Georgian criminal gang detained in France
- 16.04.2018ICRC representatives meet with Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 13.04.2018Baku police warn National Council over scheduled rally
- 12.04.2018Five Sri Lanka citizens detained in Azerbaijan
- 12.04.2018Man who brought illegal drugs worth $40,000 to Azerbaijan detained
- 02.03.2018Hotline created in connection with Drug Rehab Center fire in Azerbaijan
- 05.03.2018Six family members die of carbon monoxide poisoning in Azerbaijan
- 05.03.2018Azerbaijani Prosecutor General’s Office releases information on death of 6 family members in Sumgayit
- 02.03.2018Famous Azerbaijani journalist dies from carbon monoxide poisoning
- 02.03.2018Azerbaijan sets up State Commission in connection with Drug Rehab Center fire
- 02.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev instructs to investigate causes of fire in drug abuse treatment center