Fire at Baku drug rehab center was arson, one arrested
A Baku city resident has been detained as a suspect after a deadly fire that occurred at the Republican Drug Rehabilitation Center on March 3, reads a joint statement of the Prosecutor General’s Office and the Interior Ministry.
Baku resident Mahammad Mammadov is receiving treatment at the Center under the diagnosis of alcohol-related psychological and behavioral disorders, the statement says.
“In his preliminary testimony, Mammadov said he attempted to commit suicide as a form of protest to his family members as he did not want to be treated at the drug rehabilitation center. On March 2, around 06:00 (UTC +4 hours), he set fire to his blanket with the goal of committing suicide. As the flame intensified, he changed his mind and threw the blanket on his bed. Afraid that the fire would spread to other wards, he immediately left the center as soon as the doors opened,” says the statement.
The statement further says that these facts are confirmed by witness testimony and records from surveillance cameras installed at the center.
A measure of restraint in the form of arrest was chosen for Mahammad Mammadov who is charged under Article 120.2.4 (premeditated murder, committed with special cruelty or in publicly dangers way), 120.2.7 (premeditated murder of two or more persons), 120.2.9 (premeditated murder of a person in a helpless condition) and 186.2.2 (deliberate destruction or damage of property by an arson, explosion or other publicly dangers way) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
In addition, a complex of forensic psychiatric, psychological and narcological examinations were assigned to Mammadov.
A fire broke out at the Republican Drug Rehabilitation Center in Baku on March 2, resulting in multiple causalities.
A criminal case has been initiated under the relevant articles of the Criminal Code and a team has been set up of experienced investigators.
Upon the order of the president of Azerbaijan, the victims as well as the center’s medical staff have been interrogated as witnesses in order to investigate the causes of the accident and arrest those guilty of what happened.
Related news releases
- 24.05.2018Two dead bodies found on boat in Caspian Sea – ministry - UPDATED-1
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani State Security Service, Financial Market Supervisory Authority conduct join operation
- 21.05.2018Baku café explosion: Two dead, two injured - UPDATED-2
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani citizen buried in cemetery of the nameless after committing suicide in Turkey
- 21.05.2018$30,000 and jewelry items worth AZN 100,000 stolen from home in Baku
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan detains Iranian national for attempting to smuggle 10 Scottish Fold kittens to Iran
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan's Pardon Issues Commission considers about 1,100 appeals - UPDATED
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan detains two over sale of fake excise stamps
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan detains 3 foreigners with fake visas
- 16.05.2018Bodies of all three missing Azerbaijani mountaineers found - UPDATED
- 16.05.2018Two houses destroyed after landslide hits Bayil slope in Baku
- 14.05.2018Missile discovered in Goranboy forest
- 08.05.2018Fire in house kills husband and wife in Masalli
- 07.05.2018Baku court commences trial of Moldova citizen accused of stealing about AZN1.5 million from Azerbaijani bank
- 07.05.2018Azerbaijan reveals organized group engaged in illicit medicines trade
- 04.05.2018Baku drug rehab center director arrested over 2 March fire accident
- 03.05.20182 persons detained for demanding $50,000 from head of energy drink company in Azerbaijan
- 02.05.2018Remains of 6 Azerbaijanis killed in World War II found in Russia
- 02.05.2018Foreigners detained in Baku for attempting to exchange counterfeit money in bank
- 01.05.20181 killed, 6 injured in nasty traffic accident in Azerbaijan
- 01.05.2018Azerbaijan detains five foreigners for border trespassing attempt
- 28.04.2018No one was injured in fire in Baku high-rise – Deputy Minister - PHOTOSESSION - UPDATED-5
- 28.04.2018Emergency Situations Ministry issues statement on Baku high-rise fire
- 27.04.2018Azerbaijan detains 3 foreigners for attempting to get to Europe on fake passports
- 26.04.2018Former Azerbaijani MP Huseyn Abdullayev faces additional charges
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijan’s border guards foil drug smuggling attempt
- 24.04.2018Details emerge of armed assault on Azerbaijani family in Georgia - UPDATED
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani court upholds State Security Service’s AZN 1M lawsuit against liquidated MNS
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani court pronounces verdict against ex-employees of liquidated national security ministry
- 23.04.2018State Security Service: Illegal religious complex revealed in Baku
- 20.04.2018Three artillery shells found on territory of police station in Baku
- 20.04.2018Court to pronounce verdict against ex-employees of liquidated MNS on April 23
- 19.04.2018Shells and grenade discovered around reservoir in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.201853 Azerbaijani citizens convicted abroad repatriated in 2017
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani citizen on Interpol wanted list on fraud charges
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijani female member of Georgian criminal gang detained in France
- 16.04.2018ICRC representatives meet with Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 13.04.2018Baku police warn National Council over scheduled rally
- 12.04.2018Five Sri Lanka citizens detained in Azerbaijan
- 12.04.2018Man who brought illegal drugs worth $40,000 to Azerbaijan detained
- 06.03.2018Quake hits Caspian Sea
- 06.03.2018Russian citizen suspected of murder detained at Azerbaijani-Georgian border
- 07.03.2018Members of extremist religious group eliminated in Azerbaijan
- 05.03.2018Azerbaijani Prosecutor General’s Office releases information on death of 6 family members in Sumgayit
- 05.03.2018Six family members die of carbon monoxide poisoning in Azerbaijan
- 02.03.2018Hotline created in connection with Drug Rehab Center fire in Azerbaijan