Fire at Baku drug rehab center was arson, one arrested
A Baku city resident has been detained as a suspect after a deadly fire that occurred at the Republican Drug Rehabilitation Center on March 3, reads a joint statement of the Prosecutor General’s Office and the Interior Ministry.
Baku resident Mahammad Mammadov is receiving treatment at the Center under the diagnosis of alcohol-related psychological and behavioral disorders, the statement says.
“In his preliminary testimony, Mammadov said he attempted to commit suicide as a form of protest to his family members as he did not want to be treated at the drug rehabilitation center. On March 2, around 06:00 (UTC +4 hours), he set fire to his blanket with the goal of committing suicide. As the flame intensified, he changed his mind and threw the blanket on his bed. Afraid that the fire would spread to other wards, he immediately left the center as soon as the doors opened,” says the statement.
The statement further says that these facts are confirmed by witness testimony and records from surveillance cameras installed at the center.
A measure of restraint in the form of arrest was chosen for Mahammad Mammadov who is charged under Article 120.2.4 (premeditated murder, committed with special cruelty or in publicly dangers way), 120.2.7 (premeditated murder of two or more persons), 120.2.9 (premeditated murder of a person in a helpless condition) and 186.2.2 (deliberate destruction or damage of property by an arson, explosion or other publicly dangers way) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
In addition, a complex of forensic psychiatric, psychological and narcological examinations were assigned to Mammadov.
A fire broke out at the Republican Drug Rehabilitation Center in Baku on March 2, resulting in multiple causalities.
A criminal case has been initiated under the relevant articles of the Criminal Code and a team has been set up of experienced investigators.
Upon the order of the president of Azerbaijan, the victims as well as the center’s medical staff have been interrogated as witnesses in order to investigate the causes of the accident and arrest those guilty of what happened.
Related news releases
- 20.03.2018Bulgarian and Azerbaijani citizens die in car crash in Goygol
- 20.03.2018Car crashes into tree, 2 dead and 3 injured
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan prosecutes 44 foreigners for drug trafficking in 2017
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan detains two suspected drug smugglers
- 19.03.2018Baku police seize nearly 36 kg of drugs in two days
- 16.03.2018Six people killed in car crash on Aghsu-Kurdamir highway
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijan puts gang member accused of killing hostage on Interpol wanted list
- 16.03.2018Criminal case against ex-chairman of management board of Azerbaijani bank sent to court
- 15.03.2018Trial resumed for ex-employees of Azerbaijani National Security Ministry
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani State Security Service reveals gang engaged in illegal human organ trade
- 14.03.2018Cyber-swindler detained in Azerbaijan
- 13.03.2018Five Azerbaijani families may be evicted from their homes in Tbilisi
- 13.03.2018Azerbaijani Coast Guard rescues fishermen from stormy sea
- 12.03.2018Iranian citizens detained in Baku over smuggling of drugs
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijani border guards prevent drug smuggling attempt
- 12.03.2018Fishermen rescued from sea in adverse weather
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan detains four foreigners for border trespassing attempt
- 09.03.2018Two Azerbaijani citizens detained in Kiev
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijan detains two Iranians for maritime trespassing
- 02.03.2018Testimony by AzTV chairman during preliminary investigation made public
- 02.03.2018Famous Azerbaijani journalist dies from carbon monoxide poisoning
- 02.03.2018Azerbaijan sets up State Commission in connection with Drug Rehab Center fire
- 02.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev instructs to investigate causes of fire in drug abuse treatment center
- 02.03.201825 people killed in fire outbreak in Azerbaijani drug abuse treatment center
- 02.03.201843 fire engines involved in extinguishing fire in Azerbaijani drug abuse treatment center
- 02.03.2018Fire outbreak in Azerbaijani drug abuse treatment center kills 24 people - UPDATED
- 02.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev arrives at Drug Abuse Treatment Center after fire outbreak
- 02.03.2018Azerbaijani officials arrive at Baku Drug Abuse Treatment Center after fire outbreak
- 01.03.2018Azerbaijan initiates criminal cases against some construction companies for labor law violations
- 01.03.2018Two persons accused of theft in apartment of building constructed for journalists in Baku detained
- 01.03.2018Supreme Court rejects appeal of Taleh Baghirov and others
- 01.03.2018Armed gang members detained in Azerbaijan’s Shirvan
- 28.02.2018Ministry of Emergency Situations: Search continues for crew member of Iranian cargo ship
- 28.02.201830 years pass since Sumgayit events
- 27.02.2018Azerbaijan: Criminal cases against some people accused of spying for Armenia sent to court
- 27.02.2018Azerbaijani border guards prevent drug smuggling via Caspian Sea
- 26.02.2018Armed man detained on territory of Baku port
- 26.02.2018Azerbaijan’s helicopter, two ships involved in search for Iranian sailor missing in Caspian Sea
- 22.02.2018Supreme Court commences hearing on appeal of Taleh Baghirov and others
- 22.02.2018Investigator: Eduard Grigoryan, arrested for Sumgayit events, handed over to Armenia in 1991
- 06.03.2018Quake hits Caspian Sea
- 06.03.2018Russian citizen suspected of murder detained at Azerbaijani-Georgian border
- 07.03.2018Members of extremist religious group eliminated in Azerbaijan
- 05.03.2018Azerbaijani Prosecutor General’s Office releases information on death of 6 family members in Sumgayit
- 05.03.2018Six family members die of carbon monoxide poisoning in Azerbaijan
- 02.03.2018Hotline created in connection with Drug Rehab Center fire in Azerbaijan