Over 1,000 criminal groups detained in Azerbaijan last year
Over the past year, 1,032 criminal groups accused of committing 2,755 crimes have been detained in Azerbaijan, the country’s Interior Minister, Colonel General Ramil Usubov said Friday.
The minister made the remarks addressing a board meeting at the ministry, dedicated to the outcomes of the activities carried out in 2016 and the tasks ahead.
He said that 94% of 26,611 crimes recorded during the reporting period were investigated on a preliminary basis by interior and prosecuting agencies. Of them, 85.4% were the ones unlikely to pose a public threat or moderately grave and the remaining 14.6% of them were grave and especially grave crimes, he added.
The minister noted that compared to 2015, last year grave and especially grave crimes decreased by 1.8%, premeditated murders and attempts by 13.4%, robbery by 21.8%, crimes committed with firearms by 37%, crimes committed in public places 12.7%, hijacking of vehicles by 17.5%, traffic accidents by 9.6%, deaths by 15.1%, and injuries by 11.6% in 2016.
The number of infliction of serious bodily harm made 3.6 cases, robbery 3.3 cases and thefts 73 cases per 100,000 people that are lower compared to some European countries, Usubov added.
According to him, there was 3.1% progress in solving crimes committed under uncertain conditions, 3.6% in those aimed against property, 10.2% in robbery, 3.8% in theft, 4.7% in extortion by threats. 323 crimes remained unsolved in the previous years were solved.
“Based on the information received by 102 call center, 1,268 crimes were solved with “hot pursuit” as a result of timely operations, 9,289 offences were prevented. Some 3,108 persons evading judicial and investigative bodies were detained during the reporting period,” Usubov added.
The interior minister noted that 33 facts of manufacturing or sale of counterfeit money were revealed. Consequently, 931 banknotes in a total amount of AZN 47,000, USD 10,000 and EUR 9,500, as well as more than 35 tons of expired food products and construction materials were withdrawn from circulation.
Moreover, 7 persons were detained for attempting to illegally sell USD 195,650 and EUR 30,000, and administrative measures were taken about 262 persons, he added.
Related news releases
- 28.03.2017Business partner of former Azerbaijani minister’s son on Interpol wanted list
- 27.03.2017Azerbaijan’s Interior Ministry comments on death of detainee at police department - UPDATED
- 24.03.2017Alexander Lapshin meets mother
- 24.03.201710 died, 39 injured in traffic accidents in Azerbaijan during holidays
- 23.03.2017Two detained in Baku on suspicion of hooligan acts against Iranian citizen
- 23.03.2017Azerbaijani man commits suicide after murdering mother
- 22.03.2017Road accident in Barda claims lives of two, other four injured
- 22.03.2017Body found in Caspian Sea identified: Headquarters
- 22.03.2017Azerbaijani citizen wanted by Interpol for serious crime detained
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani State Security Service prevents illegal distribution of ecstasy
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijani man, sentenced to life in 2007, gets sentence reduced
- 15.03.2017Metro station "28 May" is open to passengers after smoke prevented
- 15.03.2017Body recovered from Caspian Sea identified as missing Azerbaijani oilman - UPDATED
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijan initiates criminal case over death of five people from carbon monoxide poisoning
- 15.03.2017College director: Death of two of our students is a big tragedy
- 15.03.2017Victims identified in fatal carbon monoxide poisoning in Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijani police to tighten security for Novruz celebrations
- 14.03.2017Three detained over murder of Azerbaijani poet’s son
- 14.03.2017Georgian police detain Azerbaijani citizen over keeping firearms
- 13.03.2017Another male corpse found in Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea
- 13.03.2017Former Azerbaijani police officer dies in prison
- 10.03.2017Grenade blasts in teahouse in Ismayilli, two injured
- 10.03.2017State Security Service eliminates firearm smugglers
- 10.03.2017Boat overturns in Caspian Sea, fishermen rescued by helicopter - UPDATED
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan detains three for attempting to smuggle large quantities of dollars and gold bullions
- 10.03.20177 killed, 24 injured in Azerbaijan road accidents in one day
- 09.03.2017Criminal case initiated over fatal road accident in Baku
- 09.03.2017Azerbaijan detained 37 trespassers in February
- 09.03.2017Five killed in Baku minibus crash identified - UPDATED-3
- 04.03.2017Lapshin allowed to telephone his relatives
- 04.03.2017One more corpse found in Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea
- 03.03.2017Blogger Mehman Huseynov arrested in courtroom
- 02.03.2017Body recovered from Caspian Sea identified as missing Azerbaijani oilman
- 28.02.2017Dead body found in Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea
- 28.02.2017Earthquake hits Armenia, tremors also felt in Azerbaijan
- 27.02.2017Akif Chovdrov’s trial continues Monday - UPDATED
- 27.02.2017Azerbaijan arrests narcological dispensary chief physician on bribery charges
- 27.02.2017Azerbaijan imposed AZN 85.4 mln fine for violation of traffic rules last year
- 27.02.2017Azerbaijan punishes 330 police officers for offences
- 25.02.2017Police search for Ujar resident appropriating money of citizens for making fake visas
- 27.01.2017Over 930 kg of drugs seized in Azerbaijan last year
- 28.01.2017MOE released information on fire in “Sovetski” area - UPDATE-2
- 30.01.2017Azerbaijani citizen detained in Georgia for drug offences
- 27.01.2017Donald Trump ready to lift anti-Russian sanctions
- 27.01.2017Company director gets 8 years over deadly high-rise fire in Baku
- 26.01.2017Psychotherapist Dayanat Rzayev commits suicide - UPDATED