Over 1,000 criminal groups detained in Azerbaijan last year
Over the past year, 1,032 criminal groups accused of committing 2,755 crimes have been detained in Azerbaijan, the country’s Interior Minister, Colonel General Ramil Usubov said Friday.
The minister made the remarks addressing a board meeting at the ministry, dedicated to the outcomes of the activities carried out in 2016 and the tasks ahead.
He said that 94% of 26,611 crimes recorded during the reporting period were investigated on a preliminary basis by interior and prosecuting agencies. Of them, 85.4% were the ones unlikely to pose a public threat or moderately grave and the remaining 14.6% of them were grave and especially grave crimes, he added.
The minister noted that compared to 2015, last year grave and especially grave crimes decreased by 1.8%, premeditated murders and attempts by 13.4%, robbery by 21.8%, crimes committed with firearms by 37%, crimes committed in public places 12.7%, hijacking of vehicles by 17.5%, traffic accidents by 9.6%, deaths by 15.1%, and injuries by 11.6% in 2016.
The number of infliction of serious bodily harm made 3.6 cases, robbery 3.3 cases and thefts 73 cases per 100,000 people that are lower compared to some European countries, Usubov added.
According to him, there was 3.1% progress in solving crimes committed under uncertain conditions, 3.6% in those aimed against property, 10.2% in robbery, 3.8% in theft, 4.7% in extortion by threats. 323 crimes remained unsolved in the previous years were solved.
“Based on the information received by 102 call center, 1,268 crimes were solved with “hot pursuit” as a result of timely operations, 9,289 offences were prevented. Some 3,108 persons evading judicial and investigative bodies were detained during the reporting period,” Usubov added.
The interior minister noted that 33 facts of manufacturing or sale of counterfeit money were revealed. Consequently, 931 banknotes in a total amount of AZN 47,000, USD 10,000 and EUR 9,500, as well as more than 35 tons of expired food products and construction materials were withdrawn from circulation.
Moreover, 7 persons were detained for attempting to illegally sell USD 195,650 and EUR 30,000, and administrative measures were taken about 262 persons, he added.
Related news releases
- 20.09.2017Court gives Akif Chovdarov time for final statement
- 19.09.2017Ten people suffer minor smoke inhalation after fire at warehouse of cosmetics factory in Baku
- 18.09.2017Akif Chovdarov's lawyer makes speech at trial
- 16.09.2017Tofig Zulfugarov: ‘I have been involved in the investigation on this traffic accident as a witness’
- 15.09.2017Human rights defenders issue statement on release of a group of persons
- 15.09.2017Son of Baku City Main Police Department spokesman arrested over fatal road accident
- 15.09.2017APFP chairman’s assistant released from prison
- 14.09.2017Another four people arrested over Nardaran events released
- 13.09.2017Alexander Lapshin’s mother arrives in Baku
- 12.09.2017Lapshin’s mother to arrive in Baku, blogger to be sent to Israel in coming days
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijani citizen killed in Tbilisi
- 11.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev pardons Alexander Lapshin
- 11.09.2017Azerbaijan detained 47 trespassers last month
- 11.09.2017Moldovan embassy car crashes in Baku
- 07.09.2017Another meeting held at headquarters set up to tackle forest fires in Azerbaijan’s Gabala
- 05.09.2017Forest fires in Azerbaijan’s Gabala fully brought under control
- 05.09.2017Fire in territory of Shahdag National Park extinguished
- 04.09.2017Meeting held at headquarters set up to tackle forest fire in Azerbaijan's Gabala
- 04.09.2017Forest fire in Azerbaijan’s Gabala brought under control
- 04.09.2017Efforts underway to extinguish forest fire in Azerbaijan’s Gabala
- 01.09.2017MENR chooses emergency mode as fires continue in Gabala
- 31.08.2017Fire localized in Georgia’s Abastumani, Azerbaijan actively involved in ops
- 31.08.2017Fire breaks out in forest in Azerbaijan’s Oghuz
- 31.08.2017Consul: Mother of Azerbaijani athlete killed in road accident in Lebanon will fly to Beirut
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijan’s helicopter joins operation to extinguish forest fires in Georgia
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijan again sends helicopter to help Georgia tackle forest fires
- 29.08.2017Trial of Azerbaijan MNS ex-officials continues
- 29.08.2017Azerbaijani police to tighten security during Eid al-Adha holidays
- 28.08.2017Azerbaijan’s firefighting and rescue forces return home from Georgia
- 28.08.2017Last victim of weapons storage fire in Azerbaijan discharged from hospital
- 28.08.2017Suspected terrorist eliminated in Azerbaijan
- 27.08.2017Fire at military unit of Defense Ministry localized and prevented from spreading
- 27.08.2017Special commission set up under Azerbaijani president's instructions to determine cause of fire at weapons storage
- 27.08.2017Immediate measures are being taken at the scene of the incident
- 27.08.2017Fire breaks out at weapons storage in Azerbaijan
- 26.08.2017Prime Minister of Georgia met with helicopter crew of the Ministry of Emergency Situations of Azerbaijan
- 25.08.2017Two killed as car hits pedestrians in Tovuz
- 25.08.2017Azerbaijani Ministry of Emergency Situations issues statement on fire-fighting ops in Georgia
- 25.08.2017Mehman Aliyev sentenced to 3-month pretrial detention - UPDATED
- 25.08.2017Azerbaijan’s firefighters extinguish fire in area of 4ha in Georgia
- 27.01.2017Over 930 kg of drugs seized in Azerbaijan last year
- 28.01.2017MOE released information on fire in “Sovetski” area - UPDATE-2
- 30.01.2017Azerbaijani citizen detained in Georgia for drug offences
- 27.01.2017Donald Trump ready to lift anti-Russian sanctions
- 27.01.2017Company director gets 8 years over deadly high-rise fire in Baku
- 26.01.2017Psychotherapist Dayanat Rzayev commits suicide - UPDATED