Lawyers make speeches at hearing of IBA ex-head - UPDATED
Baku. Etibar Mammadov – APA. The Baku Court on Grave Crimes on Monday resumed the hearing after break on the case of Chairman of the Board of “International Bank of Azerbaijan” OJSC Jahangir Hajiyev and seven more people connected with him.
During the hearing presided over by judge Afghan Hajiyev, lawyers made speeches.
Lawyer Fakhreddin Mehdiyev called the claims against his defendant illegal. “According to the requirements of the Criminal Code, it is a civil case and civil proceeding should be started. Therefore, this criminal case should be terminated. The preliminary and court investigations on this case were biased,” he said.
The lawyer added that court didn’t objectively investigate how these credits were spent.
Mehdiyev said the court rejected all petitions and called the investigation incomplete.
He said that the prosecutor asks unreal penalty for the accused persons and his speech is not in line with reality.
A.Layijov, the other lawyer of Hajiyev, claimed that the defendant is innocent. “Every day, a different figure is announced regarding the damage. We have several times filed petitions asking some persons to be questioned, however they were rejected. How can it be possible that the investigators created a group to summon Zamira Hajiyeva, but you cannot involve Khagani Bashirov into investigation?
The lawyer asked the court to acquit Jahangir Hajiyev.
Lawyers of other accused persons also made speeches, claimed their defendants are innocent and asked the court to acquit them.
The hearing will be continued on Oct.5.
Baku. Etibar Mammadov – APA. The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Monday resumed the hearing in the case of the former head of the International Bank of Azerbaijan (IBA) and seven more people connected with him.
During the hearing presided over by judge Afghan Hajiyev, representatives of “Aqrar Kredit” CJSC asked the court to seize AZN 7,624,000 from the accused persons.
Then, Hajiyev’s lawyer filed a motion for acquittal of his defendant.
The hearing will be continued after the break.
The former head of the International Bank of Azerbaijan Jahangir Hajiyev, the former heads of the bank’s Central branch Anar Sultanov and Ilgar Abdullayev, the former director of Inter Security LLC Ibrahim Huseynov, the former head of the bank’s Central branch Yusif Alakbarov, the former head of the bank’s Transport Branch Kanan Orujov, the former head of the bank’s Narimanov Branch Mammad Jahangirov and the former director of the Baku hazelnut factory Azad Javadov, who are involved in the case, are charged under articles 179.3.1, 179.3.2 (embezzlement on a large scale by an organized group), 308.2 (abuse of power, resulting in grave consequences), 309.2 (abuse of power, resulting in grave crimes), 313 (official forgery), 228.1 and 228.4 (illegal storage and carrying of firearms).
Related news releases
- 20.02.2018One of Azerbaijanis injured in Russia apartment fire dies
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan detains Uzbek, Kyrgyz citizens for attempting to illegally cross border with Iran
- 19.02.2018Turkish, Azerbaijani women sentenced to life in prison for collaborating with ISIL
- 19.02.2018Fire breaks out in former Azerbaijani transport minister’s house
- 19.02.2018Chairman of the State Committee for City Building and Architecture of Azerbaijan dies
- 17.02.2018Man detained for pretending to be Security Service official
- 17.02.2018Suspect in murder of woman whose body was found chopped into pieces in Baku detained
- 16.02.2018Female body found chopped into pieces in Baku
- 14.02.2018Two people detained in Baku for making counterfeit money
- 13.02.2018Three detained in Baku for attempted mercury sale
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijanis killed in apartment fire in Russia identified - UPDATED
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani State Migration Service, Prosecutor General’s Office release statement on detention of illegal migrants
- 12.02.2018Judicial investigation into case of Azerbaijan’s former security officials completed
- 12.02.2018Another Azerbaijani killed in Syria
- 09.02.2018Criminal gang leader declared wanted by Azerbaijan 20 years ago detained in Moscow
- 09.02.2018Illegal migrants detained in Azerbaijan
- 07.02.2018Violations revealed in work of 24 municipalities in Azerbaijan last year
- 06.02.2018Azerbaijani declared internationally wanted by Russia killed in Mosul
- 03.02.2018Five poisoned by smoke in fire at residential building in Baku
- 01.02.2018Russia puts Azerbaijani on Interpol wanted list on charges of joining illegal armed groups
- 01.02.2018Baku woman steals $58,000 from her own home
- 31.01.2018UXOs found in Goranboy
- 30.01.2018Azerbaijan detains Uzbek citizens over attempt to illegally cross border with Iran
- 29.01.20183 Arabs detained in Azerbaijan for illegal hunting
- 29.01.2018Above 300 Azerbaijanis reportedly killed in battles in Syria, Iraq – State Committee
- 27.01.2018Zakir Garalov: Prosecuting authorities are successfully fulfilling president’s task on humanization of punishment policy
- 27.01.2018Zakir Garalov: 418 unsolved crimes have been solved
- 27.01.2018Azerbaijani MES issues statement on fire outbreak incident in Baku
- 26.01.2018ANAMA finds 20 UXOs in Aghstafa
- 26.01.2018Georgia initiates criminal prosecution against Azerbaijani transplant surgeon
- 26.01.2018Baku police kill man who showed armed resistance
- 25.01.2018Azerbaijani MES reveals number of emergency situations in 2017
- 25.01.2018Names of Azerbaijanis aboard missing vessel in Sea of Japan revealed - UPDATED
- 25.01.2018Turkish businessman’s house robbed in Baku
- 24.01.2018Five dismissed from prosecuting authorities in Baku
- 24.01.2018Azerbaijani MES to hold firefighting training
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijan detains Pakistani, Indian nationals accused of organizing illegal migration channel
- 22.01.2018Search for missing mountaineers in Azerbaijan continues
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijani State Security Service exposes big network engaged in currency smuggling
- 20.01.2018Armenian military fires at Azerbaijani border village
- 28.02.2017Dead body found in Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea
- 02.03.2017Body recovered from Caspian Sea identified as missing Azerbaijani oilman
- 03.03.2017Blogger Mehman Huseynov arrested in courtroom
- 27.02.2017Akif Chovdrov’s trial continues Monday - UPDATED
- 27.02.2017Azerbaijan arrests narcological dispensary chief physician on bribery charges
- 27.02.2017Azerbaijan imposed AZN 85.4 mln fine for violation of traffic rules last year