Lawyers make speeches at hearing of IBA ex-head - UPDATED
Baku. Etibar Mammadov – APA. The Baku Court on Grave Crimes on Monday resumed the hearing after break on the case of Chairman of the Board of “International Bank of Azerbaijan” OJSC Jahangir Hajiyev and seven more people connected with him.
During the hearing presided over by judge Afghan Hajiyev, lawyers made speeches.
Lawyer Fakhreddin Mehdiyev called the claims against his defendant illegal. “According to the requirements of the Criminal Code, it is a civil case and civil proceeding should be started. Therefore, this criminal case should be terminated. The preliminary and court investigations on this case were biased,” he said.
The lawyer added that court didn’t objectively investigate how these credits were spent.
Mehdiyev said the court rejected all petitions and called the investigation incomplete.
He said that the prosecutor asks unreal penalty for the accused persons and his speech is not in line with reality.
A.Layijov, the other lawyer of Hajiyev, claimed that the defendant is innocent. “Every day, a different figure is announced regarding the damage. We have several times filed petitions asking some persons to be questioned, however they were rejected. How can it be possible that the investigators created a group to summon Zamira Hajiyeva, but you cannot involve Khagani Bashirov into investigation?
The lawyer asked the court to acquit Jahangir Hajiyev.
Lawyers of other accused persons also made speeches, claimed their defendants are innocent and asked the court to acquit them.
The hearing will be continued on Oct.5.
Baku. Etibar Mammadov – APA. The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Monday resumed the hearing in the case of the former head of the International Bank of Azerbaijan (IBA) and seven more people connected with him.
During the hearing presided over by judge Afghan Hajiyev, representatives of “Aqrar Kredit” CJSC asked the court to seize AZN 7,624,000 from the accused persons.
Then, Hajiyev’s lawyer filed a motion for acquittal of his defendant.
The hearing will be continued after the break.
The former head of the International Bank of Azerbaijan Jahangir Hajiyev, the former heads of the bank’s Central branch Anar Sultanov and Ilgar Abdullayev, the former director of Inter Security LLC Ibrahim Huseynov, the former head of the bank’s Central branch Yusif Alakbarov, the former head of the bank’s Transport Branch Kanan Orujov, the former head of the bank’s Narimanov Branch Mammad Jahangirov and the former director of the Baku hazelnut factory Azad Javadov, who are involved in the case, are charged under articles 179.3.1, 179.3.2 (embezzlement on a large scale by an organized group), 308.2 (abuse of power, resulting in grave consequences), 309.2 (abuse of power, resulting in grave crimes), 313 (official forgery), 228.1 and 228.4 (illegal storage and carrying of firearms).
Related news releases
- 21.05.2018Baku café explosion: Two dead, two injured - UPDATED-2
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani citizen buried in cemetery of the nameless after committing suicide in Turkey
- 21.05.2018$30,000 and jewelry items worth AZN 100,000 stolen from home in Baku
- 18.05.2018Azerbaijan detains Iranian national for attempting to smuggle 10 Scottish Fold kittens to Iran
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan's Pardon Issues Commission considers about 1,100 appeals - UPDATED
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan detains two over sale of fake excise stamps
- 17.05.2018Azerbaijan detains 3 foreigners with fake visas
- 16.05.2018Bodies of all three missing Azerbaijani mountaineers found - UPDATED
- 16.05.2018Two houses destroyed after landslide hits Bayil slope in Baku
- 14.05.2018Missile discovered in Goranboy forest
- 08.05.2018Fire in house kills husband and wife in Masalli
- 07.05.2018Baku court commences trial of Moldova citizen accused of stealing about AZN1.5 million from Azerbaijani bank
- 07.05.2018Azerbaijan reveals organized group engaged in illicit medicines trade
- 04.05.2018Baku drug rehab center director arrested over 2 March fire accident
- 03.05.20182 persons detained for demanding $50,000 from head of energy drink company in Azerbaijan
- 02.05.2018Remains of 6 Azerbaijanis killed in World War II found in Russia
- 02.05.2018Foreigners detained in Baku for attempting to exchange counterfeit money in bank
- 01.05.20181 killed, 6 injured in nasty traffic accident in Azerbaijan
- 01.05.2018Azerbaijan detains five foreigners for border trespassing attempt
- 28.04.2018No one was injured in fire in Baku high-rise – Deputy Minister - PHOTOSESSION - UPDATED-5
- 28.04.2018Emergency Situations Ministry issues statement on Baku high-rise fire
- 27.04.2018Azerbaijan detains 3 foreigners for attempting to get to Europe on fake passports
- 26.04.2018Former Azerbaijani MP Huseyn Abdullayev faces additional charges
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijan’s border guards foil drug smuggling attempt
- 24.04.2018Details emerge of armed assault on Azerbaijani family in Georgia - UPDATED
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani court upholds State Security Service’s AZN 1M lawsuit against liquidated MNS
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani court pronounces verdict against ex-employees of liquidated national security ministry
- 23.04.2018State Security Service: Illegal religious complex revealed in Baku
- 20.04.2018Three artillery shells found on territory of police station in Baku
- 20.04.2018Court to pronounce verdict against ex-employees of liquidated MNS on April 23
- 19.04.2018Shells and grenade discovered around reservoir in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.201853 Azerbaijani citizens convicted abroad repatriated in 2017
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani citizen on Interpol wanted list on fraud charges
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijani female member of Georgian criminal gang detained in France
- 16.04.2018ICRC representatives meet with Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 13.04.2018Baku police warn National Council over scheduled rally
- 12.04.2018Five Sri Lanka citizens detained in Azerbaijan
- 12.04.2018Man who brought illegal drugs worth $40,000 to Azerbaijan detained
- 11.04.2018Mother dies after giving birth in Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2018Several Nardaran residents detained for illegal arms storage
- 04.10.2016Road accident in Northwestern Azerbaijan kills 4
- 04.10.2016Victims, witnesses in case of Azerbaijani security ministry’s ex-official identified
- 04.10.2016Two brothers die of carbon monoxide poisoning in Azerbaijan
- 03.10.2016Investigation into case of Azerbaijan's communications and high tech ministry officials concludes
- 29.09.2016Former head of Baku Telephone Network PA testifies in court
- 29.09.2016Ukrainian prosecutor general calls Azerbaijani counterpart