Justice Ministry and Prosecutor General’s Office release joint statement on Mehman Galandarov’s death
Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Justice and the Prosecutor General’s Office have released a joint statement over the suicide of Mehman Galandarov in Baku Investigative Prison, the Prosecutor General’s Office told APA.
The statement mentions that Baku resident Mehman Galandarov, 1977, was arrested on 7 February 2017 on charges of illegal drug trafficking (Article 234.1) filed by the Nasimi district police office’s investigation department. He was taken to Baku Investigative Prison.
In the course of investigation, his acts were recommended for Article 234.4.3.
Around 13:30 pm on 28 April 2017, he hanged himself using a piece of cloth while his cellmate was asleep.
The Penitentiary Service has conducted an investigation into the fact and informed the General Prosecutor’s Office.
Employees of Sabunchu District Prosecutor's Office and experts of the Health Ministry's Forensic Medical Examination and Pathological Anatomy Unit examined the scene and the body, seized pieces of material evidence. A criminal case was initiated under Article 125 (bringing to suicide) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
In order to examine the body to reveal the causes of death, the body was sent to Sabunchu district department of the Forensic Medical Examination and Pathological Anatomy Unit. During the initial examination of the body, no signs of injury were found on it except the strangulation furrow.
Initial investigations by officers of Baku Investigative Prison revealed that Galandarov wasn’t subjected to any pressure, torture or unlawful acts.
Besides, warder of the isolator and head of the detachment for the department of organization of educational work were dismissed as they failed to adequately fulfill the duties during the investigation and organize the supervision weakly and head of the regime control department was reprimanded.
During the investigation, Galandarov pleaded guilty, and information on his membership to any political party was not confirmed.
The necessary investigative actions are going on.
Related news releases
- 19.06.2018Fire breaks out at restaurant in Baku
- 19.06.2018MENR conducting monitoring and investigation at fire scene
- 19.06.2018Fire breaks out at building material store in Baku
- 18.06.2018Georgia police detain affiliates of Azerbaijani mafia boss
- 15.06.2018Gazakh resident receives bullet wound in unknown circumstances
- 14.06.2018Daycare worker accused of child maltreatment jailed for 3 months
- 14.06.201856 passports found in water channel in Azerbaijan’s Imishli
- 14.06.2018Police officer who fled scene after fatal crash in Baku arrested
- 13.06.2018Large quantity of ammo seized in ops at Azerbaijan-Russia border
- 13.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli Knesset speaker
- 12.06.2018Bridges, roads destroyed after heavy rains in Azerbaijan’s northwest
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani court orders extradition of Iranian national
- 08.06.2018Imprisoned lawyer Emin Aslan refutes media reports
- 08.06.2018$70,000 burgled from apartment in Baku
- 07.06.2018ICRC representatives meet with Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 07.06.2018MFA: Search underway for missing Azerbaijani student in Italy’s Lake Albano
- 06.06.2018Ombudsman’s Office releases information about Emin Aslanov
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijan initiates criminal case over collapse of bridge over Goychay River
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijani court decides man wanted my Germany be extradited to Turkey
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijani emergency situations minister examines quake-affected houses in Zagatala
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijani emergency situations minister arrives in quake-hit Zagatala district - UPDATED
- 06.06.2018Zagatala earthquake: Tremors lasted for half a minute
- 06.06.2018Ramin Hajili, banned from leaving Azerbaijan due to his debts, detained at border with Georgia
- 05.06.2018Lawyer Emin Aslan gets 30 days in jail
- 05.06.2018Azerbaijan’s law enforcement officers eliminate armed trespasser
- 02.06.2018Traffic accident kills 1 and injures 11 in Jalilabad
- 01.06.2018Firefighters extinguish fire at State Social Protection Fund building - UPDATED
- 01.06.20184 foreigners prevented from violating Azerbaijani state border
- 31.05.2018Judge of Baku Appellate Court passes away
- 31.05.2018Azerbaijan detains 3 foreigners with fake documents
- 30.05.2018Details emerge of murder of teacher reported missing in Azerbaijan's Shirvan - UPDATED
- 30.05.2018Azerbaijan detains six foreigners for border trespassing attempt
- 29.05.2018Female teacher reported missing in Azerbaijan’s Shirvan city killed
- 29.05.2018Azerbaijani security service official gets arrested - UPDATED
- 29.05.2018Female member of gang who stole a great deal of money and jewelry from house in Baku arrested
- 29.05.2018Baku Appellate Court rejects Akif Chovdarov's appeal
- 26.05.2018$412,000 financial fraud exposed in APFP - OFFICIAL STATEMENT
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijan completes execution of presidential order on pardon
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijani Interior Ministry denies reports of former executive authority head’s death in prison
- 25.05.2018Execution of pardon order begins
- 02.05.2017Mud volcano erupts in Baku suburb
- 02.05.2017Azerbaijan eliminates armed trespasser
- 03.05.2017Earthquake hits Dagestan, tremors felt in Azerbaijan’s Zagatala
- 01.05.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial postponed
- 01.05.2017Baku man detained for extorting money from businessmen by blackmailing on social networks
- 29.04.2017Former deputy head of Azerbaijan’s Khazar district executive authority recognized as victim in case of MNS ex-official