Justice Ministry and Prosecutor General’s Office release joint statement on Mehman Galandarov’s death
Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Justice and the Prosecutor General’s Office have released a joint statement over the suicide of Mehman Galandarov in Baku Investigative Prison, the Prosecutor General’s Office told APA.
The statement mentions that Baku resident Mehman Galandarov, 1977, was arrested on 7 February 2017 on charges of illegal drug trafficking (Article 234.1) filed by the Nasimi district police office’s investigation department. He was taken to Baku Investigative Prison.
In the course of investigation, his acts were recommended for Article 234.4.3.
Around 13:30 pm on 28 April 2017, he hanged himself using a piece of cloth while his cellmate was asleep.
The Penitentiary Service has conducted an investigation into the fact and informed the General Prosecutor’s Office.
Employees of Sabunchu District Prosecutor's Office and experts of the Health Ministry's Forensic Medical Examination and Pathological Anatomy Unit examined the scene and the body, seized pieces of material evidence. A criminal case was initiated under Article 125 (bringing to suicide) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
In order to examine the body to reveal the causes of death, the body was sent to Sabunchu district department of the Forensic Medical Examination and Pathological Anatomy Unit. During the initial examination of the body, no signs of injury were found on it except the strangulation furrow.
Initial investigations by officers of Baku Investigative Prison revealed that Galandarov wasn’t subjected to any pressure, torture or unlawful acts.
Besides, warder of the isolator and head of the detachment for the department of organization of educational work were dismissed as they failed to adequately fulfill the duties during the investigation and organize the supervision weakly and head of the regime control department was reprimanded.
During the investigation, Galandarov pleaded guilty, and information on his membership to any political party was not confirmed.
The necessary investigative actions are going on.
Related news releases
- 26.05.2017APFP deputy chairperson Gozal Bayramli detained: State Border Service
- 25.05.2017Headquarters: Another body found in Caspian Sea
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijan police detain two charged with making counterfeit money
- 24.05.2017Inmate hangs himself in Azerbaijan
- 23.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets Baku 2017 winners and their coaches
- 20.05.2017Traffic to be restricted in Baku on day of closing of Islamic Solidarity Games
- 20.05.2017Man shooting 26-year-old youth detained in Baku
- 19.05.2017Azerbaijani accused of killing Ukrainian kickboxer standing trial
- 19.05.2017Prosecutor seeks 14-year sentence for Vidadi Zeynalov
- 18.05.2017Trial continues in case of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
- 17.05.2017Baku court resumes trial on appeal filed by Leyla and Arif Yunus
- 15.05.2017Akif Chovdarov's trial continues
- 15.05.2017Azerbaijani SSS launches investigation into reports of persons who collaborated with liquidated MNS
- 13.05.2017Terrific road accident kills 4 in Yevlakh
- 11.05.2017Another earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Saatli
- 10.05.2017Azerbaijanis detained after incident with Armenians in St. Petersburg march released
- 08.05.2017Terrific road accident kills 4 in Nakhcivan
- 03.05.2017Colonel Ilgar Aliyev, who committed suicide, revealed to have testified against Eldar Mahmudov and Elchin Guliyev
- 03.05.2017Vidadi Zeynalov: I have fulfilled tasks set by ministry leadership - UPDATED
- 28.04.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
- 28.04.2017Russian court pronounces verdict in case against two Azerbaijanis accused of kidnapping
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijani MNS ex-official: 2 mln manats taken from budget sent to Eldar Mahmudov
- 27.04.2017Preliminary hearing held in case of Azerbaijani MNS ex-general
- 26.04.2017Azerbaijani Prosecutor General’s Office investigating reports of criminal case against Azerbaijani companies in Ukraine
- 26.04.2017Azerbaijan detains Georgian national who tried to hide in Azerbaijan after committing crime
- 24.04.2017Former MNS general to stand trial this week
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan detains two trespassers, one of them attempts suicide
- 21.04.2017Interpol-wanted Azerbaijani citizen detained in Tbilisi
- 20.04.2017Landslide hits Azerbaijan’s Shamakhi, walls of two houses collapse
- 20.04.201738 criminal groups rendered harmless in Baku in 1Q 2017
- 19.04.2017Preliminary investigation into case of APFP chairman’s assistant completed
- 19.04.2017Judicial investigation into criminal case of Azerbaijan’s ex-heath minister completed
- 19.04.2017Baku Court of Appeal begins trial on appeal filed by Leyla and Arif Yunus
- 19.04.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official postponed due to absence of judge
- 19.04.2017Moscow police detain Azerbaijani man suspected of opening fire on his compatriot’s car
- 18.04.2017162 dead in road accidents in Azerbaijan since early 2017
- 17.04.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial continues - UPDATED
- 17.04.2017Man killed in horrific car crash in Baku turns out to be a victim in Akif Chovdarov’s case
- 17.04.2017Illegal firearm and ammunition seized from Barda resident’s house
- 14.04.2017Fire occurs in Baby House, 18 babies rescued
- 02.05.2017Mud volcano erupts in Baku suburb
- 02.05.2017Azerbaijan eliminates armed trespasser
- 03.05.2017Earthquake hits Dagestan, tremors felt in Azerbaijan’s Zagatala
- 01.05.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial postponed
- 01.05.2017Baku man detained for extorting money from businessmen by blackmailing on social networks
- 29.04.2017Former deputy head of Azerbaijan’s Khazar district executive authority recognized as victim in case of MNS ex-official