Justice Ministry and Prosecutor General’s Office release joint statement on Mehman Galandarov’s death
Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Justice and the Prosecutor General’s Office have released a joint statement over the suicide of Mehman Galandarov in Baku Investigative Prison, the Prosecutor General’s Office told APA.
The statement mentions that Baku resident Mehman Galandarov, 1977, was arrested on 7 February 2017 on charges of illegal drug trafficking (Article 234.1) filed by the Nasimi district police office’s investigation department. He was taken to Baku Investigative Prison.
In the course of investigation, his acts were recommended for Article 234.4.3.
Around 13:30 pm on 28 April 2017, he hanged himself using a piece of cloth while his cellmate was asleep.
The Penitentiary Service has conducted an investigation into the fact and informed the General Prosecutor’s Office.
Employees of Sabunchu District Prosecutor's Office and experts of the Health Ministry's Forensic Medical Examination and Pathological Anatomy Unit examined the scene and the body, seized pieces of material evidence. A criminal case was initiated under Article 125 (bringing to suicide) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
In order to examine the body to reveal the causes of death, the body was sent to Sabunchu district department of the Forensic Medical Examination and Pathological Anatomy Unit. During the initial examination of the body, no signs of injury were found on it except the strangulation furrow.
Initial investigations by officers of Baku Investigative Prison revealed that Galandarov wasn’t subjected to any pressure, torture or unlawful acts.
Besides, warder of the isolator and head of the detachment for the department of organization of educational work were dismissed as they failed to adequately fulfill the duties during the investigation and organize the supervision weakly and head of the regime control department was reprimanded.
During the investigation, Galandarov pleaded guilty, and information on his membership to any political party was not confirmed.
The necessary investigative actions are going on.
Related news releases
- 20.04.2018Three artillery shells found on territory of police station in Baku
- 20.04.2018Court to pronounce verdict against ex-employees of liquidated MNS on April 23
- 19.04.2018Shells and grenade discovered around reservoir in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.201853 Azerbaijani citizens convicted abroad repatriated in 2017
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani citizen on Interpol wanted list on fraud charges
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijani female member of Georgian criminal gang detained in France
- 16.04.2018ICRC representatives meet with Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 13.04.2018Baku police warn National Council over scheduled rally
- 12.04.2018Five Sri Lanka citizens detained in Azerbaijan
- 12.04.2018Man who brought illegal drugs worth $40,000 to Azerbaijan detained
- 11.04.2018Mother dies after giving birth in Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2018Several Nardaran residents detained for illegal arms storage
- 05.04.201873 kg of explosives found in Azerbaijan’s Goygol
- 05.04.2018Azerbaijani Supreme Court reaches verdict to release executive director of internet TV ‘Kanal-13’
- 03.04.2018Fire occurs in building settled by IDPs in Baku, 55 evacuated
- 03.04.2018Azerbaijani Prosecutor General’s Office, Interior Ministry comment on statement of former MNS official
- 03.04.2018Director of Shaki Regional Perinatal Center detained
- 02.04.2018French media outlets notified of Rahim Namazov not being a journalist: Azerbaijani Embassy
- 31.03.2018Azerbaijan opens criminal case regarding Armenia plundering Azerbaijan's natural resources
- 31.03.2018Azerbaijani killed in Kharkiv identified - EXCLUSIVE
- 30.03.2018Azerbaijani man shot and wounded in France after insulting crime bosses
- 30.03.2018Azerbaijani shot dead in Ukraine’s Kharkiv
- 29.03.2018Two detained in Baku over production of counterfeit alcoholic beverages
- 28.03.2018Search for missing mountaineers in Azerbaijan’s Guba continues
- 28.03.2018Arab tourist reported missing in Baku found
- 27.03.2018Arab tourist goes missing in Baku
- 26.03.2018Minister: 64 people killed in Russian shopping centre fire
- 26.03.2018Man showing armed resistance to police destroyed
- 26.03.2018FM: No Azerbaijani among those injured and killed in the fire broke out in Russia - UPDATED
- 23.03.2018Azerbaijani citizen detained while attempting to smuggle 40kg of jewelry to Georgia
- 22.03.2018Prisoner’s brother attempts to carry narcotic substance inside his nose to prison
- 22.03.2018Azerbaijan’s border guards prevent another drug smuggling attempt
- 20.03.2018Bulgarian and Azerbaijani citizens die in car crash in Goygol
- 20.03.2018Car crashes into tree, 2 dead and 3 injured
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan prosecutes 44 foreigners for drug trafficking in 2017
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan detains two suspected drug smugglers
- 19.03.2018Baku police seize nearly 36 kg of drugs in two days
- 16.03.2018Six people killed in car crash on Aghsu-Kurdamir highway
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijan puts gang member accused of killing hostage on Interpol wanted list
- 16.03.2018Criminal case against ex-chairman of management board of Azerbaijani bank sent to court
- 02.05.2017Mud volcano erupts in Baku suburb
- 02.05.2017Azerbaijan eliminates armed trespasser
- 03.05.2017Earthquake hits Dagestan, tremors felt in Azerbaijan’s Zagatala
- 01.05.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial postponed
- 01.05.2017Baku man detained for extorting money from businessmen by blackmailing on social networks
- 29.04.2017Former deputy head of Azerbaijan’s Khazar district executive authority recognized as victim in case of MNS ex-official