Justice Ministry and Prosecutor General’s Office release joint statement on Mehman Galandarov’s death
Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Justice and the Prosecutor General’s Office have released a joint statement over the suicide of Mehman Galandarov in Baku Investigative Prison, the Prosecutor General’s Office told APA.
The statement mentions that Baku resident Mehman Galandarov, 1977, was arrested on 7 February 2017 on charges of illegal drug trafficking (Article 234.1) filed by the Nasimi district police office’s investigation department. He was taken to Baku Investigative Prison.
In the course of investigation, his acts were recommended for Article 234.4.3.
Around 13:30 pm on 28 April 2017, he hanged himself using a piece of cloth while his cellmate was asleep.
The Penitentiary Service has conducted an investigation into the fact and informed the General Prosecutor’s Office.
Employees of Sabunchu District Prosecutor's Office and experts of the Health Ministry's Forensic Medical Examination and Pathological Anatomy Unit examined the scene and the body, seized pieces of material evidence. A criminal case was initiated under Article 125 (bringing to suicide) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
In order to examine the body to reveal the causes of death, the body was sent to Sabunchu district department of the Forensic Medical Examination and Pathological Anatomy Unit. During the initial examination of the body, no signs of injury were found on it except the strangulation furrow.
Initial investigations by officers of Baku Investigative Prison revealed that Galandarov wasn’t subjected to any pressure, torture or unlawful acts.
Besides, warder of the isolator and head of the detachment for the department of organization of educational work were dismissed as they failed to adequately fulfill the duties during the investigation and organize the supervision weakly and head of the regime control department was reprimanded.
During the investigation, Galandarov pleaded guilty, and information on his membership to any political party was not confirmed.
The necessary investigative actions are going on.
Related news releases
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan detains Uzbek, Kyrgyz citizens for attempting to illegally cross border with Iran
- 19.02.2018Turkish, Azerbaijani women sentenced to life in prison for collaborating with ISIL
- 19.02.2018Fire breaks out in former Azerbaijani transport minister’s house
- 19.02.2018Chairman of the State Committee for City Building and Architecture of Azerbaijan dies
- 17.02.2018Man detained for pretending to be Security Service official
- 17.02.2018Suspect in murder of woman whose body was found chopped into pieces in Baku detained
- 16.02.2018Female body found chopped into pieces in Baku
- 14.02.2018Two people detained in Baku for making counterfeit money
- 13.02.2018Three detained in Baku for attempted mercury sale
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijanis killed in apartment fire in Russia identified - UPDATED
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani State Migration Service, Prosecutor General’s Office release statement on detention of illegal migrants
- 12.02.2018Judicial investigation into case of Azerbaijan’s former security officials completed
- 12.02.2018Another Azerbaijani killed in Syria
- 09.02.2018Criminal gang leader declared wanted by Azerbaijan 20 years ago detained in Moscow
- 09.02.2018Illegal migrants detained in Azerbaijan
- 07.02.2018Violations revealed in work of 24 municipalities in Azerbaijan last year
- 06.02.2018Azerbaijani declared internationally wanted by Russia killed in Mosul
- 03.02.2018Five poisoned by smoke in fire at residential building in Baku
- 01.02.2018Russia puts Azerbaijani on Interpol wanted list on charges of joining illegal armed groups
- 01.02.2018Baku woman steals $58,000 from her own home
- 31.01.2018UXOs found in Goranboy
- 30.01.2018Azerbaijan detains Uzbek citizens over attempt to illegally cross border with Iran
- 29.01.20183 Arabs detained in Azerbaijan for illegal hunting
- 29.01.2018Above 300 Azerbaijanis reportedly killed in battles in Syria, Iraq – State Committee
- 27.01.2018Zakir Garalov: Prosecuting authorities are successfully fulfilling president’s task on humanization of punishment policy
- 27.01.2018Zakir Garalov: 418 unsolved crimes have been solved
- 27.01.2018Azerbaijani MES issues statement on fire outbreak incident in Baku
- 26.01.2018ANAMA finds 20 UXOs in Aghstafa
- 26.01.2018Georgia initiates criminal prosecution against Azerbaijani transplant surgeon
- 26.01.2018Baku police kill man who showed armed resistance
- 25.01.2018Azerbaijani MES reveals number of emergency situations in 2017
- 25.01.2018Names of Azerbaijanis aboard missing vessel in Sea of Japan revealed - UPDATED
- 25.01.2018Turkish businessman’s house robbed in Baku
- 24.01.2018Five dismissed from prosecuting authorities in Baku
- 24.01.2018Azerbaijani MES to hold firefighting training
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijan detains Pakistani, Indian nationals accused of organizing illegal migration channel
- 22.01.2018Search for missing mountaineers in Azerbaijan continues
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijani State Security Service exposes big network engaged in currency smuggling
- 20.01.2018Armenian military fires at Azerbaijani border village
- 18.01.2018Nearly 93% of murders in Baku solved – police chief
- 02.05.2017Mud volcano erupts in Baku suburb
- 02.05.2017Azerbaijan eliminates armed trespasser
- 03.05.2017Earthquake hits Dagestan, tremors felt in Azerbaijan’s Zagatala
- 01.05.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial postponed
- 01.05.2017Baku man detained for extorting money from businessmen by blackmailing on social networks
- 29.04.2017Former deputy head of Azerbaijan’s Khazar district executive authority recognized as victim in case of MNS ex-official