Justice Ministry and Prosecutor General’s Office release joint statement on Mehman Galandarov’s death
Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Justice and the Prosecutor General’s Office have released a joint statement over the suicide of Mehman Galandarov in Baku Investigative Prison, the Prosecutor General’s Office told APA.
The statement mentions that Baku resident Mehman Galandarov, 1977, was arrested on 7 February 2017 on charges of illegal drug trafficking (Article 234.1) filed by the Nasimi district police office’s investigation department. He was taken to Baku Investigative Prison.
In the course of investigation, his acts were recommended for Article 234.4.3.
Around 13:30 pm on 28 April 2017, he hanged himself using a piece of cloth while his cellmate was asleep.
The Penitentiary Service has conducted an investigation into the fact and informed the General Prosecutor’s Office.
Employees of Sabunchu District Prosecutor's Office and experts of the Health Ministry's Forensic Medical Examination and Pathological Anatomy Unit examined the scene and the body, seized pieces of material evidence. A criminal case was initiated under Article 125 (bringing to suicide) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
In order to examine the body to reveal the causes of death, the body was sent to Sabunchu district department of the Forensic Medical Examination and Pathological Anatomy Unit. During the initial examination of the body, no signs of injury were found on it except the strangulation furrow.
Initial investigations by officers of Baku Investigative Prison revealed that Galandarov wasn’t subjected to any pressure, torture or unlawful acts.
Besides, warder of the isolator and head of the detachment for the department of organization of educational work were dismissed as they failed to adequately fulfill the duties during the investigation and organize the supervision weakly and head of the regime control department was reprimanded.
During the investigation, Galandarov pleaded guilty, and information on his membership to any political party was not confirmed.
The necessary investigative actions are going on.
Related news releases
- 22.11.2017108 people killed, 493 injured in emergency situations in Azerbaijan since early 2017
- 20.11.2017Astara man commits suicide
- 20.11.2017Baku city prosecutor’s office issues statement on Lokbatan plant explosion
- 20.11.2017Another quake jolts Azerbaijan
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, who drowned in river while saving two children in Russia, awarded posthumously
- 20.11.2017One dead after explosion at plant in Baku
- 18.11.2017Quake jolts Azerbaijan’s south
- 17.11.2017Landslide in Baku, worker trapped under mud rescued - UPDATED
- 16.11.2017Preliminary information on earthquake reveals no casualty - UPDATED
- 16.11.2017Magnitude 6 earthquake hits Azerbaijani regions - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017General Prosecutor's Office: Stones were thrown at a bus in Sumgayit
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani citizen murders his fellow countryman in Moscow, confirm law enforcement
- 13.11.2017Two embassy cars collide in Baku
- 13.11.2017Prosecutor seeks 15-year jail sentence for ex-official of MNS
- 13.11.2017Kidnappers detained in Azerbaijan
- 11.11.2017Armenian-made landmine found in Aghdam
- 11.11.2017Man who left his sister with Iranian drug dealers as pledge gets arrested attempting to enter Azerbaijan with a large amount of narcotics
- 11.11.2017Two fishermen go missing in Caspian
- 11.11.2017MES: During fire in residential building 15 rescued and 20 evacuated
- 10.11.2017Fire breaks out in apartment building in Baku
- 10.11.2017Azerbaijan’s former national security minister Eldar Mahmudov questioned again
- 10.11.2017Fire in Baku business center extinguished - UPDATED
- 07.11.2017Police raid car showrooms owned by Azerbaijanis in Moscow
- 07.11.2017Vugar Mahmudov fails to file appeal against court decision
- 04.11.2017Azerbaijani citizen suspected of treason detained
- 02.11.2017Two Azerbaijanis who killed a man suspected of involvement in Rovshan Lankaransky’s murder detained Russia
- 02.11.2017Azerbaijani General Prosecutor’s Office, Interior Ministry release joint statement on special op to catch second escaped convict
- 02.11.2017Criminal case against Turan News Agency and Mehman Aliyev terminated
- 01.11.2017Recent prisoner escape discussed at Azerbaijani Justice Ministry’s collegium meeting
- 31.10.2017Employees of Azerbaijani Penitentiary Service arrested over prisoner escape face additional charge
- 30.10.2017Akif Chovdarov and others' property worth AZN 33M to be confiscated
- 30.10.2017Court to send appeal to Azerbaijani president to strip Akif Chovdarov of general rank
- 30.10.2017Ex-official of Azerbaijan’s national security ministry jailed for 12 years - UPDATED
- 30.10.2017Azerbaijani singer arrested for helping prisoners escape
- 30.10.2017Interpol-wanted Azerbaijani citizen detained in Georgia
- 27.10.2017Baku City Prosecutor’s Office initiates criminal case over sale of prohibited medicines in unlicensed pharmacy
- 27.10.2017Azerbaijan's State Security Service: Four more people detained in anti-terror operation
- 26.10.2017Azerbaijan Penitentiary Service: One of escapees captured
- 26.10.2017Ammo found in apartment of people who planned terrorist attack during rally in Baku
- 25.10.2017Group of persons planning terrorist attack at rally liquidated
- 02.05.2017Mud volcano erupts in Baku suburb
- 02.05.2017Azerbaijan eliminates armed trespasser
- 03.05.2017Earthquake hits Dagestan, tremors felt in Azerbaijan’s Zagatala
- 01.05.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial postponed
- 01.05.2017Baku man detained for extorting money from businessmen by blackmailing on social networks
- 29.04.2017Former deputy head of Azerbaijan’s Khazar district executive authority recognized as victim in case of MNS ex-official