Sumgayit events masterminded by Armenians and foreign special services, investigator says
The Sumgayit events were masterminded by Armenians and foreign special service agencies, said Nadir Mirzayev, a member of the investigative group set up in connection with the Sumgayit events and a senior investigator at the Prosecutor General’s Office.
He made the remarks Thursday at a press conference dedicated to the 30th anniversary of the Sumgayit events, APA reports.
According to Mirzayev, the testimony of Azerbaijan’s law enforcement officers included in the investigative group of the USSR General Prosecutor's Office show that the investigation were mainly carried out by the USSR Prosecutor General's Office, as well as investigators invited from different provinces of Russia, Ukraine and Belarus, who came to the conclusion that the Sumgayit events had been organized by Armenians and foreign special service agencies.
"The investigative group leaders did not conduct any investigations to identify the clients and organizers of the crime and there was no interest in their disclosure, so they demanded that the criminal case on the main executers be quickly finalized and submitted to court. They tried to keep Azerbaijani investigators out of the investigation, so Azerbaijani investigators were mostly in charge of technical issues,” he said.
The investigation ascertained that although former members of security agencies had been discharged from the investigations concerning the Sumgayit events, their analysis showed that a diversion group consisting of 20—25 people and pretending to be “Azerbaijanis expelled from Gaphan” had been acting in the city, Mirzoyev said touching upon the diversion groups’ involvement in the Sumgayit events.
“Some suffered Armenians told them [investigators] about that. Even though the information had been submitted to operative-investigative group of USSR Prosecutor General’s Office, for some reason it wasn’t inspected and was gone fruitless. It was also determined that a group of persons was speaking on the meetings calling to expel Armenians from the city. The persons weren’t residents of Sumgayit and were speaking in Armenian among themselves,” Nadir Mirzayev said.
It was revealed that on the eve of the Sumgayit events a number of cars with Armenian registration numbers had been detected in the city. Moreover, many Armenian individuals had been staying in Baku and Sumgayit hotels and left out right after the events.
It was also determined that Armenians living in Sumgayit tried to provocatively burn down their homes and property and blame Azerbaijanis in that. The investigation ascertained that Armenians knew about the mass disorder in advance.
The day before the mass disorder special video filming equipment, tripods for video cameras etc., were installed on the rooftops of numerous buildings in different parts of Sumgayit. During the events, robbery of Armenians’ homes, as well as the actions of a naked woman in the street, was recorded with soviet servicemen’s consent by an individual, who presented himself as Armenian.
These facts prove that the mass disorder in Sumgayit was orchestrated by Armenian nationalists and sympathetic provokers from the Soviet government, the senior investigator said.
Related news releases
- 15.06.2018Gazakh resident receives bullet wound in unknown circumstances
- 14.06.2018Daycare worker accused of child maltreatment jailed for 3 months
- 14.06.201856 passports found in water channel in Azerbaijan’s Imishli
- 14.06.2018Police officer who fled scene after fatal crash in Baku arrested
- 13.06.2018Large quantity of ammo seized in ops at Azerbaijan-Russia border
- 13.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli Knesset speaker
- 12.06.2018Bridges, roads destroyed after heavy rains in Azerbaijan’s northwest
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani court orders extradition of Iranian national
- 08.06.2018Imprisoned lawyer Emin Aslan refutes media reports
- 08.06.2018$70,000 burgled from apartment in Baku
- 07.06.2018ICRC representatives meet with Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 07.06.2018MFA: Search underway for missing Azerbaijani student in Italy’s Lake Albano
- 06.06.2018Ombudsman’s Office releases information about Emin Aslanov
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijan initiates criminal case over collapse of bridge over Goychay River
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijani court decides man wanted my Germany be extradited to Turkey
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijani emergency situations minister examines quake-affected houses in Zagatala
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijani emergency situations minister arrives in quake-hit Zagatala district - UPDATED
- 06.06.2018Zagatala earthquake: Tremors lasted for half a minute
- 06.06.2018Ramin Hajili, banned from leaving Azerbaijan due to his debts, detained at border with Georgia
- 05.06.2018Lawyer Emin Aslan gets 30 days in jail
- 05.06.2018Azerbaijan’s law enforcement officers eliminate armed trespasser
- 02.06.2018Traffic accident kills 1 and injures 11 in Jalilabad
- 01.06.2018Firefighters extinguish fire at State Social Protection Fund building - UPDATED
- 01.06.20184 foreigners prevented from violating Azerbaijani state border
- 31.05.2018Judge of Baku Appellate Court passes away
- 31.05.2018Azerbaijan detains 3 foreigners with fake documents
- 30.05.2018Details emerge of murder of teacher reported missing in Azerbaijan's Shirvan - UPDATED
- 30.05.2018Azerbaijan detains six foreigners for border trespassing attempt
- 29.05.2018Female teacher reported missing in Azerbaijan’s Shirvan city killed
- 29.05.2018Azerbaijani security service official gets arrested - UPDATED
- 29.05.2018Female member of gang who stole a great deal of money and jewelry from house in Baku arrested
- 29.05.2018Baku Appellate Court rejects Akif Chovdarov's appeal
- 26.05.2018$412,000 financial fraud exposed in APFP - OFFICIAL STATEMENT
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijan completes execution of presidential order on pardon
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijani Interior Ministry denies reports of former executive authority head’s death in prison
- 25.05.2018Execution of pardon order begins
- 24.05.2018Two dead bodies found on boat in Caspian Sea – ministry - UPDATED-1
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani State Security Service, Financial Market Supervisory Authority conduct join operation
- 21.05.2018Baku café explosion: Two dead, two injured - UPDATED-2
- 21.05.2018Azerbaijani citizen buried in cemetery of the nameless after committing suicide in Turkey
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan: USSR Prosecutor General's Office did not investigate Sumgayit events objectively
- 22.02.2018Investigator: Eduard Grigoryan, arrested for Sumgayit events, handed over to Armenia in 1991
- 22.02.2018Supreme Court commences hearing on appeal of Taleh Baghirov and others
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan: Investigation proves Sumgayit events committed by Armenian separatist forces
- 21.02.2018Search for missing mountaineers in Azerbaijan’s Guba continues
- 21.02.2018Baku Prosecutor’s Office initiates criminal case after landslide on Bayil slope