Sumgayit events masterminded by Armenians and foreign special services, investigator says
The Sumgayit events were masterminded by Armenians and foreign special service agencies, said Nadir Mirzayev, a member of the investigative group set up in connection with the Sumgayit events and a senior investigator at the Prosecutor General’s Office.
He made the remarks Thursday at a press conference dedicated to the 30th anniversary of the Sumgayit events, APA reports.
According to Mirzayev, the testimony of Azerbaijan’s law enforcement officers included in the investigative group of the USSR General Prosecutor's Office show that the investigation were mainly carried out by the USSR Prosecutor General's Office, as well as investigators invited from different provinces of Russia, Ukraine and Belarus, who came to the conclusion that the Sumgayit events had been organized by Armenians and foreign special service agencies.
"The investigative group leaders did not conduct any investigations to identify the clients and organizers of the crime and there was no interest in their disclosure, so they demanded that the criminal case on the main executers be quickly finalized and submitted to court. They tried to keep Azerbaijani investigators out of the investigation, so Azerbaijani investigators were mostly in charge of technical issues,” he said.
The investigation ascertained that although former members of security agencies had been discharged from the investigations concerning the Sumgayit events, their analysis showed that a diversion group consisting of 20—25 people and pretending to be “Azerbaijanis expelled from Gaphan” had been acting in the city, Mirzoyev said touching upon the diversion groups’ involvement in the Sumgayit events.
“Some suffered Armenians told them [investigators] about that. Even though the information had been submitted to operative-investigative group of USSR Prosecutor General’s Office, for some reason it wasn’t inspected and was gone fruitless. It was also determined that a group of persons was speaking on the meetings calling to expel Armenians from the city. The persons weren’t residents of Sumgayit and were speaking in Armenian among themselves,” Nadir Mirzayev said.
It was revealed that on the eve of the Sumgayit events a number of cars with Armenian registration numbers had been detected in the city. Moreover, many Armenian individuals had been staying in Baku and Sumgayit hotels and left out right after the events.
It was also determined that Armenians living in Sumgayit tried to provocatively burn down their homes and property and blame Azerbaijanis in that. The investigation ascertained that Armenians knew about the mass disorder in advance.
The day before the mass disorder special video filming equipment, tripods for video cameras etc., were installed on the rooftops of numerous buildings in different parts of Sumgayit. During the events, robbery of Armenians’ homes, as well as the actions of a naked woman in the street, was recorded with soviet servicemen’s consent by an individual, who presented himself as Armenian.
These facts prove that the mass disorder in Sumgayit was orchestrated by Armenian nationalists and sympathetic provokers from the Soviet government, the senior investigator said.
Related news releases
- 20.03.2018Bulgarian and Azerbaijani citizens die in car crash in Goygol
- 20.03.2018Car crashes into tree, 2 dead and 3 injured
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan prosecutes 44 foreigners for drug trafficking in 2017
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan detains two suspected drug smugglers
- 19.03.2018Baku police seize nearly 36 kg of drugs in two days
- 16.03.2018Six people killed in car crash on Aghsu-Kurdamir highway
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijan puts gang member accused of killing hostage on Interpol wanted list
- 16.03.2018Criminal case against ex-chairman of management board of Azerbaijani bank sent to court
- 15.03.2018Trial resumed for ex-employees of Azerbaijani National Security Ministry
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani State Security Service reveals gang engaged in illegal human organ trade
- 14.03.2018Cyber-swindler detained in Azerbaijan
- 13.03.2018Five Azerbaijani families may be evicted from their homes in Tbilisi
- 13.03.2018Azerbaijani Coast Guard rescues fishermen from stormy sea
- 12.03.2018Iranian citizens detained in Baku over smuggling of drugs
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijani border guards prevent drug smuggling attempt
- 12.03.2018Fishermen rescued from sea in adverse weather
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan detains four foreigners for border trespassing attempt
- 09.03.2018Two Azerbaijani citizens detained in Kiev
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijan detains two Iranians for maritime trespassing
- 07.03.2018Members of extremist religious group eliminated in Azerbaijan
- 06.03.2018Russian citizen suspected of murder detained at Azerbaijani-Georgian border
- 06.03.2018Quake hits Caspian Sea
- 06.03.2018Fire at Baku drug rehab center was arson, one arrested
- 05.03.2018Azerbaijani Prosecutor General’s Office releases information on death of 6 family members in Sumgayit
- 05.03.2018Six family members die of carbon monoxide poisoning in Azerbaijan
- 02.03.2018Hotline created in connection with Drug Rehab Center fire in Azerbaijan
- 02.03.2018Testimony by AzTV chairman during preliminary investigation made public
- 02.03.2018Famous Azerbaijani journalist dies from carbon monoxide poisoning
- 02.03.2018Azerbaijan sets up State Commission in connection with Drug Rehab Center fire
- 02.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev instructs to investigate causes of fire in drug abuse treatment center
- 02.03.201825 people killed in fire outbreak in Azerbaijani drug abuse treatment center
- 02.03.201843 fire engines involved in extinguishing fire in Azerbaijani drug abuse treatment center
- 02.03.2018Fire outbreak in Azerbaijani drug abuse treatment center kills 24 people - UPDATED
- 02.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev arrives at Drug Abuse Treatment Center after fire outbreak
- 02.03.2018Azerbaijani officials arrive at Baku Drug Abuse Treatment Center after fire outbreak
- 01.03.2018Azerbaijan initiates criminal cases against some construction companies for labor law violations
- 01.03.2018Two persons accused of theft in apartment of building constructed for journalists in Baku detained
- 01.03.2018Supreme Court rejects appeal of Taleh Baghirov and others
- 01.03.2018Armed gang members detained in Azerbaijan’s Shirvan
- 28.02.2018Ministry of Emergency Situations: Search continues for crew member of Iranian cargo ship
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan: USSR Prosecutor General's Office did not investigate Sumgayit events objectively
- 22.02.2018Investigator: Eduard Grigoryan, arrested for Sumgayit events, handed over to Armenia in 1991
- 22.02.2018Supreme Court commences hearing on appeal of Taleh Baghirov and others
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan: Investigation proves Sumgayit events committed by Armenian separatist forces
- 21.02.2018Search for missing mountaineers in Azerbaijan’s Guba continues
- 21.02.2018Baku Prosecutor’s Office initiates criminal case after landslide on Bayil slope