Interior Ministry: Mass destruction of graves in Baku Christian cemetery out of the question
Azerbaijan’s Interior Ministry has shed light on the information posted on the Russian news portal ‘Life.ru’ of the alleged destruction of graves in a cemetery in Baku where rest the bodies of a number of Soviet soldiers.
Interior Ministry Spokesperson Ehsan Zahidov told APA that it is regrettable that a serious news portal like life.ru has carelessly published such a piece of information without proper verification.
“Nonetheless, I’m proud to say that followers of all religions peacefully coexist here in Azerbaijan. Different kinds of material-cultural monuments, both in the country’s capital and in other parts of it, are being renovated whenever necessary,” he added.
He noted that Azerbaijan has been quite successful in settling issues associated with religion.
“As regards the complaint of Baku resident Dmitry, I have investigated it and learned that the cemetery is situated in the Zabrat settlement of Baku’s Sabunchu district. As specified in the information, it’s not only the Soviet soldiers whose bodies rest therein. Rather, it’s a common cemetery. Singin Dmitry Gennadiyevich’s parents were also buried there,” said the spokesperson.
Zahidov stressed that the mass destruction of graves in this cemetery is out of the question.
“Only the fences of two graves have been stolen. Such cases are also observed in other cemeteries, including Muslim ones. Despite this, the case of the theft of metal fences of two graves were registered by Baku’s Sabunchu district police department, an appropriate investigation is underway. Citizen Dmitry Singin is also informed about it,” he added.
Zahidov went on to say that those responsible for these illegal actions will be identified and brought to justice.
Russia's news portal ‘Life.ru’ had earlier spread information about the alleged destruction of the graves of Soviet soldiers in Baku. Even as an example, it was reported that the grave of Baku resident Dmitry’s grandfather, who was a Svoeit soldier, has been vandalized.
Related news releases
- 26.04.2018Former Azerbaijani MP Huseyn Abdullayev faces additional charges
- 24.04.2018Azerbaijan’s border guards foil drug smuggling attempt
- 24.04.2018Details emerge of armed assault on Azerbaijani family in Georgia - UPDATED
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani court upholds State Security Service’s AZN 1M lawsuit against liquidated MNS
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani court pronounces verdict against ex-employees of liquidated national security ministry
- 23.04.2018State Security Service: Illegal religious complex revealed in Baku
- 20.04.2018Three artillery shells found on territory of police station in Baku
- 20.04.2018Court to pronounce verdict against ex-employees of liquidated MNS on April 23
- 19.04.2018Shells and grenade discovered around reservoir in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.201853 Azerbaijani citizens convicted abroad repatriated in 2017
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani citizen on Interpol wanted list on fraud charges
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijani female member of Georgian criminal gang detained in France
- 16.04.2018ICRC representatives meet with Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 13.04.2018Baku police warn National Council over scheduled rally
- 12.04.2018Five Sri Lanka citizens detained in Azerbaijan
- 12.04.2018Man who brought illegal drugs worth $40,000 to Azerbaijan detained
- 11.04.2018Mother dies after giving birth in Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2018Several Nardaran residents detained for illegal arms storage
- 05.04.201873 kg of explosives found in Azerbaijan’s Goygol
- 05.04.2018Azerbaijani Supreme Court reaches verdict to release executive director of internet TV ‘Kanal-13’
- 03.04.2018Fire occurs in building settled by IDPs in Baku, 55 evacuated
- 03.04.2018Azerbaijani Prosecutor General’s Office, Interior Ministry comment on statement of former MNS official
- 03.04.2018Director of Shaki Regional Perinatal Center detained
- 02.04.2018French media outlets notified of Rahim Namazov not being a journalist: Azerbaijani Embassy
- 31.03.2018Azerbaijan opens criminal case regarding Armenia plundering Azerbaijan's natural resources
- 31.03.2018Azerbaijani killed in Kharkiv identified - EXCLUSIVE
- 30.03.2018Azerbaijani man shot and wounded in France after insulting crime bosses
- 30.03.2018Azerbaijani shot dead in Ukraine’s Kharkiv
- 29.03.2018Two detained in Baku over production of counterfeit alcoholic beverages
- 28.03.2018Search for missing mountaineers in Azerbaijan’s Guba continues
- 28.03.2018Arab tourist reported missing in Baku found
- 27.03.2018Arab tourist goes missing in Baku
- 26.03.2018Minister: 64 people killed in Russian shopping centre fire
- 26.03.2018Man showing armed resistance to police destroyed
- 26.03.2018FM: No Azerbaijani among those injured and killed in the fire broke out in Russia - UPDATED
- 23.03.2018Azerbaijani citizen detained while attempting to smuggle 40kg of jewelry to Georgia
- 22.03.2018Prisoner’s brother attempts to carry narcotic substance inside his nose to prison
- 22.03.2018Azerbaijan’s border guards prevent another drug smuggling attempt
- 20.03.2018Bulgarian and Azerbaijani citizens die in car crash in Goygol
- 20.03.2018Car crashes into tree, 2 dead and 3 injured
- 01.04.2017Car rolls down bridge in Baku killing two, injuring three
- 04.04.2017Fire breaks out in "Taza Bazar" market in Baku
- 04.04.2017Azerbaijani woman confirmed dead in St. Petersburg metro blast - UPDATED
- 30.03.2017One of three Azerbaijanis arrested in Libya on smuggling charges dies
- 30.03.2017Truck-car collision in Azerbaijan leaves one dead, two injured
- 28.03.2017Business partner of former Azerbaijani minister’s son on Interpol wanted list