Interior Ministry: Mass destruction of graves in Baku Christian cemetery out of the question
Azerbaijan’s Interior Ministry has shed light on the information posted on the Russian news portal ‘Life.ru’ of the alleged destruction of graves in a cemetery in Baku where rest the bodies of a number of Soviet soldiers.
Interior Ministry Spokesperson Ehsan Zahidov told APA that it is regrettable that a serious news portal like life.ru has carelessly published such a piece of information without proper verification.
“Nonetheless, I’m proud to say that followers of all religions peacefully coexist here in Azerbaijan. Different kinds of material-cultural monuments, both in the country’s capital and in other parts of it, are being renovated whenever necessary,” he added.
He noted that Azerbaijan has been quite successful in settling issues associated with religion.
“As regards the complaint of Baku resident Dmitry, I have investigated it and learned that the cemetery is situated in the Zabrat settlement of Baku’s Sabunchu district. As specified in the information, it’s not only the Soviet soldiers whose bodies rest therein. Rather, it’s a common cemetery. Singin Dmitry Gennadiyevich’s parents were also buried there,” said the spokesperson.
Zahidov stressed that the mass destruction of graves in this cemetery is out of the question.
“Only the fences of two graves have been stolen. Such cases are also observed in other cemeteries, including Muslim ones. Despite this, the case of the theft of metal fences of two graves were registered by Baku’s Sabunchu district police department, an appropriate investigation is underway. Citizen Dmitry Singin is also informed about it,” he added.
Zahidov went on to say that those responsible for these illegal actions will be identified and brought to justice.
Russia's news portal ‘Life.ru’ had earlier spread information about the alleged destruction of the graves of Soviet soldiers in Baku. Even as an example, it was reported that the grave of Baku resident Dmitry’s grandfather, who was a Svoeit soldier, has been vandalized.
Related news releases
- 20.09.2017Court gives Akif Chovdarov time for final statement
- 19.09.2017Ten people suffer minor smoke inhalation after fire at warehouse of cosmetics factory in Baku
- 18.09.2017Akif Chovdarov's lawyer makes speech at trial
- 16.09.2017Tofig Zulfugarov: ‘I have been involved in the investigation on this traffic accident as a witness’
- 15.09.2017Human rights defenders issue statement on release of a group of persons
- 15.09.2017Son of Baku City Main Police Department spokesman arrested over fatal road accident
- 15.09.2017APFP chairman’s assistant released from prison
- 14.09.2017Another four people arrested over Nardaran events released
- 13.09.2017Alexander Lapshin’s mother arrives in Baku
- 12.09.2017Lapshin’s mother to arrive in Baku, blogger to be sent to Israel in coming days
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijani citizen killed in Tbilisi
- 11.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev pardons Alexander Lapshin
- 11.09.2017Azerbaijan detained 47 trespassers last month
- 11.09.2017Moldovan embassy car crashes in Baku
- 07.09.2017Another meeting held at headquarters set up to tackle forest fires in Azerbaijan’s Gabala
- 05.09.2017Forest fires in Azerbaijan’s Gabala fully brought under control
- 05.09.2017Fire in territory of Shahdag National Park extinguished
- 04.09.2017Meeting held at headquarters set up to tackle forest fire in Azerbaijan's Gabala
- 04.09.2017Forest fire in Azerbaijan’s Gabala brought under control
- 04.09.2017Efforts underway to extinguish forest fire in Azerbaijan’s Gabala
- 01.09.2017MENR chooses emergency mode as fires continue in Gabala
- 31.08.2017Fire localized in Georgia’s Abastumani, Azerbaijan actively involved in ops
- 31.08.2017Fire breaks out in forest in Azerbaijan’s Oghuz
- 31.08.2017Consul: Mother of Azerbaijani athlete killed in road accident in Lebanon will fly to Beirut
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijan’s helicopter joins operation to extinguish forest fires in Georgia
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijan again sends helicopter to help Georgia tackle forest fires
- 29.08.2017Trial of Azerbaijan MNS ex-officials continues
- 29.08.2017Azerbaijani police to tighten security during Eid al-Adha holidays
- 28.08.2017Azerbaijan’s firefighting and rescue forces return home from Georgia
- 28.08.2017Last victim of weapons storage fire in Azerbaijan discharged from hospital
- 28.08.2017Suspected terrorist eliminated in Azerbaijan
- 27.08.2017Fire at military unit of Defense Ministry localized and prevented from spreading
- 27.08.2017Special commission set up under Azerbaijani president's instructions to determine cause of fire at weapons storage
- 27.08.2017Immediate measures are being taken at the scene of the incident
- 27.08.2017Fire breaks out at weapons storage in Azerbaijan
- 26.08.2017Prime Minister of Georgia met with helicopter crew of the Ministry of Emergency Situations of Azerbaijan
- 25.08.2017Two killed as car hits pedestrians in Tovuz
- 25.08.2017Azerbaijani Ministry of Emergency Situations issues statement on fire-fighting ops in Georgia
- 25.08.2017Mehman Aliyev sentenced to 3-month pretrial detention - UPDATED
- 25.08.2017Azerbaijan’s firefighters extinguish fire in area of 4ha in Georgia
- 01.04.2017Car rolls down bridge in Baku killing two, injuring three
- 04.04.2017Fire breaks out in "Taza Bazar" market in Baku
- 04.04.2017Azerbaijani woman confirmed dead in St. Petersburg metro blast - UPDATED
- 30.03.2017One of three Azerbaijanis arrested in Libya on smuggling charges dies
- 30.03.2017Truck-car collision in Azerbaijan leaves one dead, two injured
- 28.03.2017Business partner of former Azerbaijani minister’s son on Interpol wanted list