Interior Ministry: Mass destruction of graves in Baku Christian cemetery out of the question
Azerbaijan’s Interior Ministry has shed light on the information posted on the Russian news portal ‘Life.ru’ of the alleged destruction of graves in a cemetery in Baku where rest the bodies of a number of Soviet soldiers.
Interior Ministry Spokesperson Ehsan Zahidov told APA that it is regrettable that a serious news portal like life.ru has carelessly published such a piece of information without proper verification.
“Nonetheless, I’m proud to say that followers of all religions peacefully coexist here in Azerbaijan. Different kinds of material-cultural monuments, both in the country’s capital and in other parts of it, are being renovated whenever necessary,” he added.
He noted that Azerbaijan has been quite successful in settling issues associated with religion.
“As regards the complaint of Baku resident Dmitry, I have investigated it and learned that the cemetery is situated in the Zabrat settlement of Baku’s Sabunchu district. As specified in the information, it’s not only the Soviet soldiers whose bodies rest therein. Rather, it’s a common cemetery. Singin Dmitry Gennadiyevich’s parents were also buried there,” said the spokesperson.
Zahidov stressed that the mass destruction of graves in this cemetery is out of the question.
“Only the fences of two graves have been stolen. Such cases are also observed in other cemeteries, including Muslim ones. Despite this, the case of the theft of metal fences of two graves were registered by Baku’s Sabunchu district police department, an appropriate investigation is underway. Citizen Dmitry Singin is also informed about it,” he added.
Zahidov went on to say that those responsible for these illegal actions will be identified and brought to justice.
Russia's news portal ‘Life.ru’ had earlier spread information about the alleged destruction of the graves of Soviet soldiers in Baku. Even as an example, it was reported that the grave of Baku resident Dmitry’s grandfather, who was a Svoeit soldier, has been vandalized.
Related news releases
- 26.07.2017‘Çudo Peçka’ founder arrested
- 26.07.2017Trial of former Azerbaijani ministry officials postponed
- 25.07.2017Azerbaijan’s State Security Service exposes int’l cybercrime group
- 25.07.2017Explosion occurred in Baku
- 24.07.2017Underage brothers drown in Caspian Sea
- 24.07.2017Ali Insanov transferred to maximum security jail
- 24.07.2017Details emerge of horrific Barda family murder - UPDATED
- 24.07.2017Azerbaijani family of five burned alive in fire accident in Russia
- 24.07.2017Fire in building in Baku extinguished - UPDATED
- 22.07.2017Fire at university in Baku extinguished, 4 people poisoned with smoke - UPDATED
- 22.07.2017Two children drown in canal in Aghsu
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijan detains spy network members
- 18.07.2017Man who fell into sever main and MES rescuer both died of gas poisoning - UPDATED
- 18.07.2017Earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Lankaran
- 15.07.2017Azerbaijani citizen detained in Russia on suspicion of rape and murder of 15-year-old girl
- 14.07.2017Prosecutor seeks 6.5 years in prison for Alexander Lapshin
- 13.07.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
- 13.07.2017Traffic accident kills 3 and other 3 injured in Salyan
- 11.07.2017Fire breaks out in Azerbaijan’s Gizil-Agaj State Reserve
- 07.07.20172 people die of electrocution in pool, other 2 injured
- 05.07.2017Trespass attempt prevented by Azerbaijani border guards, trespasser killed
- 30.06.2017Internationally wanted Turkish citizen detained in Azerbaijan
- 28.06.2017Man migrated with Musavat's fake membership card declared wanted
- 28.06.2017Men raided country house in Baku, beat guard, then set fire to house
- 28.06.201710 died in traffic accidents in Azerbaijan during holidays
- 21.06.2017Lawyers seek acquittal for Vidadi Zeynalov
- 21.06.2017Former Baku Metro chief testifies at trial of national security ministry’s ex-employees
- 21.06.2017Child poisoned to death by own mother in Azerbaijan
- 20.06.2017ANAMA: Two Azerbaijan citizens injured in mine blast on Turkey-Iran border - UPDATED
- 20.06.2017Armenians seeking to be a “hero” on paper: Azerbaijani MoD
- 20.06.2017US embassy car crashes in Baku
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijan issues int’l arrest warrant for 5 people accused of abduction
- 19.06.2017Secretary of Malaysian embassy gets into road accident in Baku
- 17.06.2017Baku court begins trial in International Bank employee’s case
- 16.06.2017Russian court extends prison sentence of Azerbaijani national accused of recruiting students for terror organizations
- 14.06.2017Trial continues for ex-ministry official Vidadi Zeynalov charged with embezzlement
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijan detains 32 trespassers in May
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office denies MP’s statement on Afgan Mukhtarli
- 10.06.2017Fire at Baku Sadarak Trade Center localized- UPDATED
- 09.06.2017Man kills his parents in Masalli region
- 01.04.2017Car rolls down bridge in Baku killing two, injuring three
- 04.04.2017Fire breaks out in "Taza Bazar" market in Baku
- 04.04.2017Azerbaijani woman confirmed dead in St. Petersburg metro blast - UPDATED
- 30.03.2017One of three Azerbaijanis arrested in Libya on smuggling charges dies
- 30.03.2017Truck-car collision in Azerbaijan leaves one dead, two injured
- 28.03.2017Business partner of former Azerbaijani minister’s son on Interpol wanted list