Interior Ministry: Mass destruction of graves in Baku Christian cemetery out of the question
Azerbaijan’s Interior Ministry has shed light on the information posted on the Russian news portal ‘Life.ru’ of the alleged destruction of graves in a cemetery in Baku where rest the bodies of a number of Soviet soldiers.
Interior Ministry Spokesperson Ehsan Zahidov told APA that it is regrettable that a serious news portal like life.ru has carelessly published such a piece of information without proper verification.
“Nonetheless, I’m proud to say that followers of all religions peacefully coexist here in Azerbaijan. Different kinds of material-cultural monuments, both in the country’s capital and in other parts of it, are being renovated whenever necessary,” he added.
He noted that Azerbaijan has been quite successful in settling issues associated with religion.
“As regards the complaint of Baku resident Dmitry, I have investigated it and learned that the cemetery is situated in the Zabrat settlement of Baku’s Sabunchu district. As specified in the information, it’s not only the Soviet soldiers whose bodies rest therein. Rather, it’s a common cemetery. Singin Dmitry Gennadiyevich’s parents were also buried there,” said the spokesperson.
Zahidov stressed that the mass destruction of graves in this cemetery is out of the question.
“Only the fences of two graves have been stolen. Such cases are also observed in other cemeteries, including Muslim ones. Despite this, the case of the theft of metal fences of two graves were registered by Baku’s Sabunchu district police department, an appropriate investigation is underway. Citizen Dmitry Singin is also informed about it,” he added.
Zahidov went on to say that those responsible for these illegal actions will be identified and brought to justice.
Russia's news portal ‘Life.ru’ had earlier spread information about the alleged destruction of the graves of Soviet soldiers in Baku. Even as an example, it was reported that the grave of Baku resident Dmitry’s grandfather, who was a Svoeit soldier, has been vandalized.
Related news releases
- 24.04.2017Former MNS general to stand trial this week
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan detains two trespassers, one of them attempts suicide
- 21.04.2017Interpol-wanted Azerbaijani citizen detained in Tbilisi
- 20.04.2017Landslide hits Azerbaijan’s Shamakhi, walls of two houses collapse
- 20.04.201738 criminal groups rendered harmless in Baku in 1Q 2017
- 19.04.2017Preliminary investigation into case of APFP chairman’s assistant completed
- 19.04.2017Judicial investigation into criminal case of Azerbaijan’s ex-heath minister completed
- 19.04.2017Baku Court of Appeal begins trial on appeal filed by Leyla and Arif Yunus
- 19.04.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official postponed due to absence of judge
- 19.04.2017Moscow police detain Azerbaijani man suspected of opening fire on his compatriot’s car
- 18.04.2017162 dead in road accidents in Azerbaijan since early 2017
- 17.04.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial continues - UPDATED
- 17.04.2017Man killed in horrific car crash in Baku turns out to be a victim in Akif Chovdarov’s case
- 17.04.2017Illegal firearm and ammunition seized from Barda resident’s house
- 14.04.2017Fire occurs in Baby House, 18 babies rescued
- 14.04.2017Three people killed in car crash in Baku identified - UPDATED
- 13.04.2017Russian citizen Marat Ueldanov arrested on drug charges in Azerbaijan standing trial
- 12.04.2017Criminal case opened over building collapse in Baku
- 12.04.2017Two dead, four injured after building collapses in Baku - UPDATED
- 12.04.2017Truck carrying medications worth €170,000 from Austria to Azerbaijan hijacked in Ukraine
- 12.04.2017Haji Javad mosque in Baku’s Sovetsky unregistered – deputy police chief
- 09.04.2017Another body found in Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea
- 08.04.2017Azerbaijani customs officers prevent illegal import of a statue of historical significance
- 08.04.2017Body found in Caspian Sea identified as missing Azerbaijani oilman
- 07.04.2017Preliminary hearing held in case of former Azerbaijani health minister
- 07.04.2017Prison term of former MNS general and others extended
- 07.04.2017Elnur Huseynzade's pretrial detention extended
- 06.04.2017Trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials continues - UPDATED
- 05.04.2017Baku police detain man suspected of stealing metal fences, crosses from cemetery
- 05.04.2017Akif Chovdarov's trial continues - UPDATED
- 05.04.2017Man suspected of stealing bag with 4,000 euros at Baku airport detained
- 05.04.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry's ex-official
- 04.04.2017Eight more trucks carrying products of Azerbaijani companies hijacked in Ukraine
- 27.03.2017Azerbaijan’s Interior Ministry comments on death of detainee at police department - UPDATED
- 24.03.2017Alexander Lapshin meets mother
- 24.03.201710 died, 39 injured in traffic accidents in Azerbaijan during holidays
- 23.03.2017Two detained in Baku on suspicion of hooligan acts against Iranian citizen
- 23.03.2017Azerbaijani man commits suicide after murdering mother
- 22.03.2017Road accident in Barda claims lives of two, other four injured
- 22.03.2017Body found in Caspian Sea identified: Headquarters
- 01.04.2017Car rolls down bridge in Baku killing two, injuring three
- 04.04.2017Fire breaks out in "Taza Bazar" market in Baku
- 04.04.2017Azerbaijani woman confirmed dead in St. Petersburg metro blast - UPDATED
- 30.03.2017One of three Azerbaijanis arrested in Libya on smuggling charges dies
- 30.03.2017Truck-car collision in Azerbaijan leaves one dead, two injured
- 28.03.2017Business partner of former Azerbaijani minister’s son on Interpol wanted list