Interior Ministry: Mass destruction of graves in Baku Christian cemetery out of the question
Azerbaijan’s Interior Ministry has shed light on the information posted on the Russian news portal ‘Life.ru’ of the alleged destruction of graves in a cemetery in Baku where rest the bodies of a number of Soviet soldiers.
Interior Ministry Spokesperson Ehsan Zahidov told APA that it is regrettable that a serious news portal like life.ru has carelessly published such a piece of information without proper verification.
“Nonetheless, I’m proud to say that followers of all religions peacefully coexist here in Azerbaijan. Different kinds of material-cultural monuments, both in the country’s capital and in other parts of it, are being renovated whenever necessary,” he added.
He noted that Azerbaijan has been quite successful in settling issues associated with religion.
“As regards the complaint of Baku resident Dmitry, I have investigated it and learned that the cemetery is situated in the Zabrat settlement of Baku’s Sabunchu district. As specified in the information, it’s not only the Soviet soldiers whose bodies rest therein. Rather, it’s a common cemetery. Singin Dmitry Gennadiyevich’s parents were also buried there,” said the spokesperson.
Zahidov stressed that the mass destruction of graves in this cemetery is out of the question.
“Only the fences of two graves have been stolen. Such cases are also observed in other cemeteries, including Muslim ones. Despite this, the case of the theft of metal fences of two graves were registered by Baku’s Sabunchu district police department, an appropriate investigation is underway. Citizen Dmitry Singin is also informed about it,” he added.
Zahidov went on to say that those responsible for these illegal actions will be identified and brought to justice.
Russia's news portal ‘Life.ru’ had earlier spread information about the alleged destruction of the graves of Soviet soldiers in Baku. Even as an example, it was reported that the grave of Baku resident Dmitry’s grandfather, who was a Svoeit soldier, has been vandalized.
Related news releases
- 20.11.2017Astara man commits suicide
- 20.11.2017Baku city prosecutor’s office issues statement on Lokbatan plant explosion
- 20.11.2017Another quake jolts Azerbaijan
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, who drowned in river while saving two children in Russia, awarded posthumously
- 20.11.2017One dead after explosion at plant in Baku
- 18.11.2017Quake jolts Azerbaijan’s south
- 17.11.2017Landslide in Baku, worker trapped under mud rescued - UPDATED
- 16.11.2017Preliminary information on earthquake reveals no casualty - UPDATED
- 16.11.2017Magnitude 6 earthquake hits Azerbaijani regions - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017General Prosecutor's Office: Stones were thrown at a bus in Sumgayit
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani citizen murders his fellow countryman in Moscow, confirm law enforcement
- 13.11.2017Two embassy cars collide in Baku
- 13.11.2017Prosecutor seeks 15-year jail sentence for ex-official of MNS
- 13.11.2017Kidnappers detained in Azerbaijan
- 11.11.2017Armenian-made landmine found in Aghdam
- 11.11.2017Man who left his sister with Iranian drug dealers as pledge gets arrested attempting to enter Azerbaijan with a large amount of narcotics
- 11.11.2017Two fishermen go missing in Caspian
- 11.11.2017MES: During fire in residential building 15 rescued and 20 evacuated
- 10.11.2017Fire breaks out in apartment building in Baku
- 10.11.2017Azerbaijan’s former national security minister Eldar Mahmudov questioned again
- 10.11.2017Fire in Baku business center extinguished - UPDATED
- 07.11.2017Police raid car showrooms owned by Azerbaijanis in Moscow
- 07.11.2017Vugar Mahmudov fails to file appeal against court decision
- 04.11.2017Azerbaijani citizen suspected of treason detained
- 02.11.2017Two Azerbaijanis who killed a man suspected of involvement in Rovshan Lankaransky’s murder detained Russia
- 02.11.2017Azerbaijani General Prosecutor’s Office, Interior Ministry release joint statement on special op to catch second escaped convict
- 02.11.2017Criminal case against Turan News Agency and Mehman Aliyev terminated
- 01.11.2017Recent prisoner escape discussed at Azerbaijani Justice Ministry’s collegium meeting
- 31.10.2017Employees of Azerbaijani Penitentiary Service arrested over prisoner escape face additional charge
- 30.10.2017Akif Chovdarov and others' property worth AZN 33M to be confiscated
- 30.10.2017Court to send appeal to Azerbaijani president to strip Akif Chovdarov of general rank
- 30.10.2017Ex-official of Azerbaijan’s national security ministry jailed for 12 years - UPDATED
- 30.10.2017Azerbaijani singer arrested for helping prisoners escape
- 30.10.2017Interpol-wanted Azerbaijani citizen detained in Georgia
- 27.10.2017Baku City Prosecutor’s Office initiates criminal case over sale of prohibited medicines in unlicensed pharmacy
- 27.10.2017Azerbaijan's State Security Service: Four more people detained in anti-terror operation
- 26.10.2017Azerbaijan Penitentiary Service: One of escapees captured
- 26.10.2017Ammo found in apartment of people who planned terrorist attack during rally in Baku
- 25.10.2017Group of persons planning terrorist attack at rally liquidated
- 25.10.2017Azerbaijan’s State Security Service seizes over $71,000 from currency smugglers
- 01.04.2017Car rolls down bridge in Baku killing two, injuring three
- 04.04.2017Fire breaks out in "Taza Bazar" market in Baku
- 04.04.2017Azerbaijani woman confirmed dead in St. Petersburg metro blast - UPDATED
- 30.03.2017One of three Azerbaijanis arrested in Libya on smuggling charges dies
- 30.03.2017Truck-car collision in Azerbaijan leaves one dead, two injured
- 28.03.2017Business partner of former Azerbaijani minister’s son on Interpol wanted list