Interior Ministry: Mass destruction of graves in Baku Christian cemetery out of the question
Azerbaijan’s Interior Ministry has shed light on the information posted on the Russian news portal ‘Life.ru’ of the alleged destruction of graves in a cemetery in Baku where rest the bodies of a number of Soviet soldiers.
Interior Ministry Spokesperson Ehsan Zahidov told APA that it is regrettable that a serious news portal like life.ru has carelessly published such a piece of information without proper verification.
“Nonetheless, I’m proud to say that followers of all religions peacefully coexist here in Azerbaijan. Different kinds of material-cultural monuments, both in the country’s capital and in other parts of it, are being renovated whenever necessary,” he added.
He noted that Azerbaijan has been quite successful in settling issues associated with religion.
“As regards the complaint of Baku resident Dmitry, I have investigated it and learned that the cemetery is situated in the Zabrat settlement of Baku’s Sabunchu district. As specified in the information, it’s not only the Soviet soldiers whose bodies rest therein. Rather, it’s a common cemetery. Singin Dmitry Gennadiyevich’s parents were also buried there,” said the spokesperson.
Zahidov stressed that the mass destruction of graves in this cemetery is out of the question.
“Only the fences of two graves have been stolen. Such cases are also observed in other cemeteries, including Muslim ones. Despite this, the case of the theft of metal fences of two graves were registered by Baku’s Sabunchu district police department, an appropriate investigation is underway. Citizen Dmitry Singin is also informed about it,” he added.
Zahidov went on to say that those responsible for these illegal actions will be identified and brought to justice.
Russia's news portal ‘Life.ru’ had earlier spread information about the alleged destruction of the graves of Soviet soldiers in Baku. Even as an example, it was reported that the grave of Baku resident Dmitry’s grandfather, who was a Svoeit soldier, has been vandalized.
Related news releases
- 20.02.2018One of Azerbaijanis injured in Russia apartment fire dies
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan detains Uzbek, Kyrgyz citizens for attempting to illegally cross border with Iran
- 19.02.2018Turkish, Azerbaijani women sentenced to life in prison for collaborating with ISIL
- 19.02.2018Fire breaks out in former Azerbaijani transport minister’s house
- 19.02.2018Chairman of the State Committee for City Building and Architecture of Azerbaijan dies
- 17.02.2018Man detained for pretending to be Security Service official
- 17.02.2018Suspect in murder of woman whose body was found chopped into pieces in Baku detained
- 16.02.2018Female body found chopped into pieces in Baku
- 14.02.2018Two people detained in Baku for making counterfeit money
- 13.02.2018Three detained in Baku for attempted mercury sale
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijanis killed in apartment fire in Russia identified - UPDATED
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani State Migration Service, Prosecutor General’s Office release statement on detention of illegal migrants
- 12.02.2018Judicial investigation into case of Azerbaijan’s former security officials completed
- 12.02.2018Another Azerbaijani killed in Syria
- 09.02.2018Criminal gang leader declared wanted by Azerbaijan 20 years ago detained in Moscow
- 09.02.2018Illegal migrants detained in Azerbaijan
- 07.02.2018Violations revealed in work of 24 municipalities in Azerbaijan last year
- 06.02.2018Azerbaijani declared internationally wanted by Russia killed in Mosul
- 03.02.2018Five poisoned by smoke in fire at residential building in Baku
- 01.02.2018Russia puts Azerbaijani on Interpol wanted list on charges of joining illegal armed groups
- 01.02.2018Baku woman steals $58,000 from her own home
- 31.01.2018UXOs found in Goranboy
- 30.01.2018Azerbaijan detains Uzbek citizens over attempt to illegally cross border with Iran
- 29.01.20183 Arabs detained in Azerbaijan for illegal hunting
- 29.01.2018Above 300 Azerbaijanis reportedly killed in battles in Syria, Iraq – State Committee
- 27.01.2018Zakir Garalov: Prosecuting authorities are successfully fulfilling president’s task on humanization of punishment policy
- 27.01.2018Zakir Garalov: 418 unsolved crimes have been solved
- 27.01.2018Azerbaijani MES issues statement on fire outbreak incident in Baku
- 26.01.2018ANAMA finds 20 UXOs in Aghstafa
- 26.01.2018Georgia initiates criminal prosecution against Azerbaijani transplant surgeon
- 26.01.2018Baku police kill man who showed armed resistance
- 25.01.2018Azerbaijani MES reveals number of emergency situations in 2017
- 25.01.2018Names of Azerbaijanis aboard missing vessel in Sea of Japan revealed - UPDATED
- 25.01.2018Turkish businessman’s house robbed in Baku
- 24.01.2018Five dismissed from prosecuting authorities in Baku
- 24.01.2018Azerbaijani MES to hold firefighting training
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijan detains Pakistani, Indian nationals accused of organizing illegal migration channel
- 22.01.2018Search for missing mountaineers in Azerbaijan continues
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijani State Security Service exposes big network engaged in currency smuggling
- 20.01.2018Armenian military fires at Azerbaijani border village
- 01.04.2017Car rolls down bridge in Baku killing two, injuring three
- 04.04.2017Fire breaks out in "Taza Bazar" market in Baku
- 04.04.2017Azerbaijani woman confirmed dead in St. Petersburg metro blast - UPDATED
- 30.03.2017One of three Azerbaijanis arrested in Libya on smuggling charges dies
- 30.03.2017Truck-car collision in Azerbaijan leaves one dead, two injured
- 28.03.2017Business partner of former Azerbaijani minister’s son on Interpol wanted list