Interior Ministry: Mass destruction of graves in Baku Christian cemetery out of the question
Azerbaijan’s Interior Ministry has shed light on the information posted on the Russian news portal ‘Life.ru’ of the alleged destruction of graves in a cemetery in Baku where rest the bodies of a number of Soviet soldiers.
Interior Ministry Spokesperson Ehsan Zahidov told APA that it is regrettable that a serious news portal like life.ru has carelessly published such a piece of information without proper verification.
“Nonetheless, I’m proud to say that followers of all religions peacefully coexist here in Azerbaijan. Different kinds of material-cultural monuments, both in the country’s capital and in other parts of it, are being renovated whenever necessary,” he added.
He noted that Azerbaijan has been quite successful in settling issues associated with religion.
“As regards the complaint of Baku resident Dmitry, I have investigated it and learned that the cemetery is situated in the Zabrat settlement of Baku’s Sabunchu district. As specified in the information, it’s not only the Soviet soldiers whose bodies rest therein. Rather, it’s a common cemetery. Singin Dmitry Gennadiyevich’s parents were also buried there,” said the spokesperson.
Zahidov stressed that the mass destruction of graves in this cemetery is out of the question.
“Only the fences of two graves have been stolen. Such cases are also observed in other cemeteries, including Muslim ones. Despite this, the case of the theft of metal fences of two graves were registered by Baku’s Sabunchu district police department, an appropriate investigation is underway. Citizen Dmitry Singin is also informed about it,” he added.
Zahidov went on to say that those responsible for these illegal actions will be identified and brought to justice.
Russia's news portal ‘Life.ru’ had earlier spread information about the alleged destruction of the graves of Soviet soldiers in Baku. Even as an example, it was reported that the grave of Baku resident Dmitry’s grandfather, who was a Svoeit soldier, has been vandalized.
Related news releases
- 18.06.2018Georgia police detain affiliates of Azerbaijani mafia boss
- 15.06.2018Gazakh resident receives bullet wound in unknown circumstances
- 14.06.2018Daycare worker accused of child maltreatment jailed for 3 months
- 14.06.201856 passports found in water channel in Azerbaijan’s Imishli
- 14.06.2018Police officer who fled scene after fatal crash in Baku arrested
- 13.06.2018Large quantity of ammo seized in ops at Azerbaijan-Russia border
- 13.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli Knesset speaker
- 12.06.2018Bridges, roads destroyed after heavy rains in Azerbaijan’s northwest
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani court orders extradition of Iranian national
- 08.06.2018Imprisoned lawyer Emin Aslan refutes media reports
- 08.06.2018$70,000 burgled from apartment in Baku
- 07.06.2018ICRC representatives meet with Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 07.06.2018MFA: Search underway for missing Azerbaijani student in Italy’s Lake Albano
- 06.06.2018Ombudsman’s Office releases information about Emin Aslanov
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijan initiates criminal case over collapse of bridge over Goychay River
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijani court decides man wanted my Germany be extradited to Turkey
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijani emergency situations minister examines quake-affected houses in Zagatala
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijani emergency situations minister arrives in quake-hit Zagatala district - UPDATED
- 06.06.2018Zagatala earthquake: Tremors lasted for half a minute
- 06.06.2018Ramin Hajili, banned from leaving Azerbaijan due to his debts, detained at border with Georgia
- 05.06.2018Lawyer Emin Aslan gets 30 days in jail
- 05.06.2018Azerbaijan’s law enforcement officers eliminate armed trespasser
- 02.06.2018Traffic accident kills 1 and injures 11 in Jalilabad
- 01.06.2018Firefighters extinguish fire at State Social Protection Fund building - UPDATED
- 01.06.20184 foreigners prevented from violating Azerbaijani state border
- 31.05.2018Judge of Baku Appellate Court passes away
- 31.05.2018Azerbaijan detains 3 foreigners with fake documents
- 30.05.2018Details emerge of murder of teacher reported missing in Azerbaijan's Shirvan - UPDATED
- 30.05.2018Azerbaijan detains six foreigners for border trespassing attempt
- 29.05.2018Female teacher reported missing in Azerbaijan’s Shirvan city killed
- 29.05.2018Azerbaijani security service official gets arrested - UPDATED
- 29.05.2018Female member of gang who stole a great deal of money and jewelry from house in Baku arrested
- 29.05.2018Baku Appellate Court rejects Akif Chovdarov's appeal
- 26.05.2018$412,000 financial fraud exposed in APFP - OFFICIAL STATEMENT
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijan completes execution of presidential order on pardon
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijani Interior Ministry denies reports of former executive authority head’s death in prison
- 25.05.2018Execution of pardon order begins
- 24.05.2018Two dead bodies found on boat in Caspian Sea – ministry - UPDATED-1
- 23.05.2018Azerbaijani State Security Service, Financial Market Supervisory Authority conduct join operation
- 21.05.2018Baku café explosion: Two dead, two injured - UPDATED-2
- 01.04.2017Car rolls down bridge in Baku killing two, injuring three
- 04.04.2017Fire breaks out in "Taza Bazar" market in Baku
- 04.04.2017Azerbaijani woman confirmed dead in St. Petersburg metro blast - UPDATED
- 30.03.2017One of three Azerbaijanis arrested in Libya on smuggling charges dies
- 30.03.2017Truck-car collision in Azerbaijan leaves one dead, two injured
- 28.03.2017Business partner of former Azerbaijani minister’s son on Interpol wanted list