Interior Ministry, Prosecutor General’s Office issue statement on incident that killed three in Lerik
Azerbaijan’s Interior Ministry and Prosecutor General’s Office have issued a joint statement on the incident that claimed the lives of three people in the country’s Lerik district.
As a result of urgent investigative actions taken by the police and prosecuting authorities, a grave crime committed in Lerik was solved, said the statement.
“On Aug. 22, at 05:20am, Mehdi Mirzade, a resident of Lerik’s Vivezemin village, telephoned the Interior Ministry’s hotline, claiming that his father Elman Huseynov set fire to the house in whey they live and attempted to hill his mother Shukufa and sister Susan,” read the statement. “Immediately after receiving information, law-enforcement forces arrived at the scene, and the house indicated was on fire. Firefighters of the Ministry of Emergency Situations arrived at the scene immediately and managed to put out the fire in a short time. As a result of the fire, a three-room one storey house with a total area of 137 sq.m. burned completely.”
After the fire was extinguished, the bodies of Elman Huseynov, his wife Shukufa and daughter Susan were found burned beyond recognition. With the presence of a forensic expert, the scene and the bodies were examined, material evidence was seized and other necessary procedural actions were carried out.
“During the initial investigation, Mehdi Mirzazade said that his father stabbed his mother and sister, and attempted to injure him as well in the morning on that day, however, he run to the yard and eventually his father committed suicide by burning the house,” according to the statement. The examination of the bodies found out that Elman Huseynov sustained stab wounds.
A criminal case has been initiated under articles 120.2.7 (deliberate murder of two or more persons), 125 (bringing to suicide) and 186.2.2 (deliberate destruction or damage of property by an arson, explosion or other publicly dangers way or entailed heavy consequences) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
The statement further said that as there is a discrepancy between the examination and Mehdizade’s testimony and there are reasonable grounds that he committed the crime, the police detained him as a suspect.
“Urgent investigative actions revealed that a dispute arose between Elman Huseynov and his wife on Aug. 21. On the night of Aug. 22, Susan awakened to the sound and found her mother unconscious on the sofa when entered her parents’ room. Mehdizade, who entered the bedroom for a sudden noise, witnessed the body of his sister, who had been killed by his father. In turn, Mehdizade stabbed his father to death.”
“Later, in order to cover up the traces of the crime, he set fire to the house after shedding kerosene from the lamp on the dead bodies,” said the statement.
In his testimony, Mehdizade confessed to killing his father and burning the house.
The investigation into the crime is underway, said the statement.
Related news releases
- 17.02.2018Man detained for pretending to be Security Service official
- 17.02.2018Suspect in murder of woman whose body was found chopped into pieces in Baku detained
- 16.02.2018Female body found chopped into pieces in Baku
- 14.02.2018Two people detained in Baku for making counterfeit money
- 13.02.2018Three detained in Baku for attempted mercury sale
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijanis killed in apartment fire in Russia identified - UPDATED
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani State Migration Service, Prosecutor General’s Office release statement on detention of illegal migrants
- 12.02.2018Judicial investigation into case of Azerbaijan’s former security officials completed
- 12.02.2018Another Azerbaijani killed in Syria
- 09.02.2018Criminal gang leader declared wanted by Azerbaijan 20 years ago detained in Moscow
- 09.02.2018Illegal migrants detained in Azerbaijan
- 07.02.2018Violations revealed in work of 24 municipalities in Azerbaijan last year
- 06.02.2018Azerbaijani declared internationally wanted by Russia killed in Mosul
- 03.02.2018Five poisoned by smoke in fire at residential building in Baku
- 01.02.2018Russia puts Azerbaijani on Interpol wanted list on charges of joining illegal armed groups
- 01.02.2018Baku woman steals $58,000 from her own home
- 31.01.2018UXOs found in Goranboy
- 30.01.2018Azerbaijan detains Uzbek citizens over attempt to illegally cross border with Iran
- 29.01.20183 Arabs detained in Azerbaijan for illegal hunting
- 29.01.2018Above 300 Azerbaijanis reportedly killed in battles in Syria, Iraq – State Committee
- 27.01.2018Zakir Garalov: Prosecuting authorities are successfully fulfilling president’s task on humanization of punishment policy
- 27.01.2018Zakir Garalov: 418 unsolved crimes have been solved
- 27.01.2018Azerbaijani MES issues statement on fire outbreak incident in Baku
- 26.01.2018ANAMA finds 20 UXOs in Aghstafa
- 26.01.2018Georgia initiates criminal prosecution against Azerbaijani transplant surgeon
- 26.01.2018Baku police kill man who showed armed resistance
- 25.01.2018Azerbaijani MES reveals number of emergency situations in 2017
- 25.01.2018Names of Azerbaijanis aboard missing vessel in Sea of Japan revealed - UPDATED
- 25.01.2018Turkish businessman’s house robbed in Baku
- 24.01.2018Five dismissed from prosecuting authorities in Baku
- 24.01.2018Azerbaijani MES to hold firefighting training
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijan detains Pakistani, Indian nationals accused of organizing illegal migration channel
- 22.01.2018Search for missing mountaineers in Azerbaijan continues
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijani State Security Service exposes big network engaged in currency smuggling
- 20.01.2018Armenian military fires at Azerbaijani border village
- 18.01.2018Nearly 93% of murders in Baku solved – police chief
- 17.01.2018Pistol found in Baku cemetery
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan concludes investigation of 214 criminal cases against 305 officials in 2017
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan Anti-Corruption Department names most corrupted spheres
- 17.01.2018Russian scientist returns home after detention in Azerbaijan
- 24.08.2017Azerbaijan’s firefighting team manage to extinguish fire in large area in Georgia
- 25.08.2017Azerbaijan’s firefighters extinguish fire in area of 4ha in Georgia
- 25.08.2017Mehman Aliyev sentenced to 3-month pretrial detention - UPDATED
- 23.08.2017Azerbaijani firefighters continue to battle forest fires in Georgia
- 22.08.2017Azerbaijan sends additional fire-fighting vehicles and personnel to Georgia
- 22.08.2017Azerbaijan wraps up search and rescue operation for missing oilmen