Interior Ministry, Prosecutor General’s Office issue statement on incident that killed three in Lerik
Azerbaijan’s Interior Ministry and Prosecutor General’s Office have issued a joint statement on the incident that claimed the lives of three people in the country’s Lerik district.
As a result of urgent investigative actions taken by the police and prosecuting authorities, a grave crime committed in Lerik was solved, said the statement.
“On Aug. 22, at 05:20am, Mehdi Mirzade, a resident of Lerik’s Vivezemin village, telephoned the Interior Ministry’s hotline, claiming that his father Elman Huseynov set fire to the house in whey they live and attempted to hill his mother Shukufa and sister Susan,” read the statement. “Immediately after receiving information, law-enforcement forces arrived at the scene, and the house indicated was on fire. Firefighters of the Ministry of Emergency Situations arrived at the scene immediately and managed to put out the fire in a short time. As a result of the fire, a three-room one storey house with a total area of 137 sq.m. burned completely.”
After the fire was extinguished, the bodies of Elman Huseynov, his wife Shukufa and daughter Susan were found burned beyond recognition. With the presence of a forensic expert, the scene and the bodies were examined, material evidence was seized and other necessary procedural actions were carried out.
“During the initial investigation, Mehdi Mirzazade said that his father stabbed his mother and sister, and attempted to injure him as well in the morning on that day, however, he run to the yard and eventually his father committed suicide by burning the house,” according to the statement. The examination of the bodies found out that Elman Huseynov sustained stab wounds.
A criminal case has been initiated under articles 120.2.7 (deliberate murder of two or more persons), 125 (bringing to suicide) and 186.2.2 (deliberate destruction or damage of property by an arson, explosion or other publicly dangers way or entailed heavy consequences) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
The statement further said that as there is a discrepancy between the examination and Mehdizade’s testimony and there are reasonable grounds that he committed the crime, the police detained him as a suspect.
“Urgent investigative actions revealed that a dispute arose between Elman Huseynov and his wife on Aug. 21. On the night of Aug. 22, Susan awakened to the sound and found her mother unconscious on the sofa when entered her parents’ room. Mehdizade, who entered the bedroom for a sudden noise, witnessed the body of his sister, who had been killed by his father. In turn, Mehdizade stabbed his father to death.”
“Later, in order to cover up the traces of the crime, he set fire to the house after shedding kerosene from the lamp on the dead bodies,” said the statement.
In his testimony, Mehdizade confessed to killing his father and burning the house.
The investigation into the crime is underway, said the statement.
Related news releases
- 20.09.2017Court gives Akif Chovdarov time for final statement
- 19.09.2017Ten people suffer minor smoke inhalation after fire at warehouse of cosmetics factory in Baku
- 18.09.2017Akif Chovdarov's lawyer makes speech at trial
- 16.09.2017Tofig Zulfugarov: ‘I have been involved in the investigation on this traffic accident as a witness’
- 15.09.2017Human rights defenders issue statement on release of a group of persons
- 15.09.2017Son of Baku City Main Police Department spokesman arrested over fatal road accident
- 15.09.2017APFP chairman’s assistant released from prison
- 14.09.2017Another four people arrested over Nardaran events released
- 13.09.2017Alexander Lapshin’s mother arrives in Baku
- 12.09.2017Lapshin’s mother to arrive in Baku, blogger to be sent to Israel in coming days
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijani citizen killed in Tbilisi
- 11.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev pardons Alexander Lapshin
- 11.09.2017Azerbaijan detained 47 trespassers last month
- 11.09.2017Moldovan embassy car crashes in Baku
- 07.09.2017Another meeting held at headquarters set up to tackle forest fires in Azerbaijan’s Gabala
- 05.09.2017Forest fires in Azerbaijan’s Gabala fully brought under control
- 05.09.2017Fire in territory of Shahdag National Park extinguished
- 04.09.2017Meeting held at headquarters set up to tackle forest fire in Azerbaijan's Gabala
- 04.09.2017Forest fire in Azerbaijan’s Gabala brought under control
- 04.09.2017Efforts underway to extinguish forest fire in Azerbaijan’s Gabala
- 01.09.2017MENR chooses emergency mode as fires continue in Gabala
- 31.08.2017Fire localized in Georgia’s Abastumani, Azerbaijan actively involved in ops
- 31.08.2017Fire breaks out in forest in Azerbaijan’s Oghuz
- 31.08.2017Consul: Mother of Azerbaijani athlete killed in road accident in Lebanon will fly to Beirut
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijan’s helicopter joins operation to extinguish forest fires in Georgia
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijan again sends helicopter to help Georgia tackle forest fires
- 29.08.2017Trial of Azerbaijan MNS ex-officials continues
- 29.08.2017Azerbaijani police to tighten security during Eid al-Adha holidays
- 28.08.2017Azerbaijan’s firefighting and rescue forces return home from Georgia
- 28.08.2017Last victim of weapons storage fire in Azerbaijan discharged from hospital
- 28.08.2017Suspected terrorist eliminated in Azerbaijan
- 27.08.2017Fire at military unit of Defense Ministry localized and prevented from spreading
- 27.08.2017Special commission set up under Azerbaijani president's instructions to determine cause of fire at weapons storage
- 27.08.2017Immediate measures are being taken at the scene of the incident
- 27.08.2017Fire breaks out at weapons storage in Azerbaijan
- 26.08.2017Prime Minister of Georgia met with helicopter crew of the Ministry of Emergency Situations of Azerbaijan
- 25.08.2017Two killed as car hits pedestrians in Tovuz
- 25.08.2017Azerbaijani Ministry of Emergency Situations issues statement on fire-fighting ops in Georgia
- 22.08.2017Azerbaijan’s helicopter involved in efforts to tackle forest fires in Georgia - UPDATED
- 22.08.2017Three killed in house fire in Azerbaijan’s Lerik
- 24.08.2017Azerbaijan’s firefighting team manage to extinguish fire in large area in Georgia
- 25.08.2017Azerbaijan’s firefighters extinguish fire in area of 4ha in Georgia
- 25.08.2017Mehman Aliyev sentenced to 3-month pretrial detention - UPDATED
- 23.08.2017Azerbaijani firefighters continue to battle forest fires in Georgia
- 22.08.2017Azerbaijan sends additional fire-fighting vehicles and personnel to Georgia
- 22.08.2017Azerbaijan wraps up search and rescue operation for missing oilmen