Interior Ministry, Prosecutor General’s Office issue statement on incident that killed three in Lerik
Azerbaijan’s Interior Ministry and Prosecutor General’s Office have issued a joint statement on the incident that claimed the lives of three people in the country’s Lerik district.
As a result of urgent investigative actions taken by the police and prosecuting authorities, a grave crime committed in Lerik was solved, said the statement.
“On Aug. 22, at 05:20am, Mehdi Mirzade, a resident of Lerik’s Vivezemin village, telephoned the Interior Ministry’s hotline, claiming that his father Elman Huseynov set fire to the house in whey they live and attempted to hill his mother Shukufa and sister Susan,” read the statement. “Immediately after receiving information, law-enforcement forces arrived at the scene, and the house indicated was on fire. Firefighters of the Ministry of Emergency Situations arrived at the scene immediately and managed to put out the fire in a short time. As a result of the fire, a three-room one storey house with a total area of 137 sq.m. burned completely.”
After the fire was extinguished, the bodies of Elman Huseynov, his wife Shukufa and daughter Susan were found burned beyond recognition. With the presence of a forensic expert, the scene and the bodies were examined, material evidence was seized and other necessary procedural actions were carried out.
“During the initial investigation, Mehdi Mirzazade said that his father stabbed his mother and sister, and attempted to injure him as well in the morning on that day, however, he run to the yard and eventually his father committed suicide by burning the house,” according to the statement. The examination of the bodies found out that Elman Huseynov sustained stab wounds.
A criminal case has been initiated under articles 120.2.7 (deliberate murder of two or more persons), 125 (bringing to suicide) and 186.2.2 (deliberate destruction or damage of property by an arson, explosion or other publicly dangers way or entailed heavy consequences) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
The statement further said that as there is a discrepancy between the examination and Mehdizade’s testimony and there are reasonable grounds that he committed the crime, the police detained him as a suspect.
“Urgent investigative actions revealed that a dispute arose between Elman Huseynov and his wife on Aug. 21. On the night of Aug. 22, Susan awakened to the sound and found her mother unconscious on the sofa when entered her parents’ room. Mehdizade, who entered the bedroom for a sudden noise, witnessed the body of his sister, who had been killed by his father. In turn, Mehdizade stabbed his father to death.”
“Later, in order to cover up the traces of the crime, he set fire to the house after shedding kerosene from the lamp on the dead bodies,” said the statement.
In his testimony, Mehdizade confessed to killing his father and burning the house.
The investigation into the crime is underway, said the statement.
Related news releases
- 22.06.2018Details emerge of detention of Azerbaijani bank’s former senior official
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan detains 2 foreigners with fake documents
- 20.06.2018Body of missing Azerbaijani student found in Lake Albona in Italy - UPDATED
- 20.06.2018Rockets found in Shirvan National Park
- 19.06.2018MES releases statement on fire at restaurant in Baku - UPDATED
- 19.06.2018MES releases statement on fire at building material store in Baku - UPDATED
- 19.06.2018MENR conducting monitoring and investigation at fire scene
- 18.06.2018Georgia police detain affiliates of Azerbaijani mafia boss
- 15.06.2018Gazakh resident receives bullet wound in unknown circumstances
- 14.06.2018Daycare worker accused of child maltreatment jailed for 3 months
- 14.06.201856 passports found in water channel in Azerbaijan’s Imishli
- 14.06.2018Police officer who fled scene after fatal crash in Baku arrested
- 13.06.2018Large quantity of ammo seized in ops at Azerbaijan-Russia border
- 13.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli Knesset speaker
- 12.06.2018Bridges, roads destroyed after heavy rains in Azerbaijan’s northwest
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani court orders extradition of Iranian national
- 08.06.2018Imprisoned lawyer Emin Aslan refutes media reports
- 08.06.2018$70,000 burgled from apartment in Baku
- 07.06.2018ICRC representatives meet with Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 07.06.2018MFA: Search underway for missing Azerbaijani student in Italy’s Lake Albano
- 06.06.2018Ombudsman’s Office releases information about Emin Aslanov
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijan initiates criminal case over collapse of bridge over Goychay River
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijani court decides man wanted my Germany be extradited to Turkey
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijani emergency situations minister examines quake-affected houses in Zagatala
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijani emergency situations minister arrives in quake-hit Zagatala district - UPDATED
- 06.06.2018Zagatala earthquake: Tremors lasted for half a minute
- 06.06.2018Ramin Hajili, banned from leaving Azerbaijan due to his debts, detained at border with Georgia
- 05.06.2018Lawyer Emin Aslan gets 30 days in jail
- 05.06.2018Azerbaijan’s law enforcement officers eliminate armed trespasser
- 02.06.2018Traffic accident kills 1 and injures 11 in Jalilabad
- 01.06.2018Firefighters extinguish fire at State Social Protection Fund building - UPDATED
- 01.06.20184 foreigners prevented from violating Azerbaijani state border
- 31.05.2018Judge of Baku Appellate Court passes away
- 31.05.2018Azerbaijan detains 3 foreigners with fake documents
- 30.05.2018Details emerge of murder of teacher reported missing in Azerbaijan's Shirvan - UPDATED
- 30.05.2018Azerbaijan detains six foreigners for border trespassing attempt
- 29.05.2018Female teacher reported missing in Azerbaijan’s Shirvan city killed
- 29.05.2018Azerbaijani security service official gets arrested - UPDATED
- 29.05.2018Female member of gang who stole a great deal of money and jewelry from house in Baku arrested
- 29.05.2018Baku Appellate Court rejects Akif Chovdarov's appeal
- 24.08.2017Azerbaijan’s firefighting team manage to extinguish fire in large area in Georgia
- 25.08.2017Azerbaijan’s firefighters extinguish fire in area of 4ha in Georgia
- 25.08.2017Mehman Aliyev sentenced to 3-month pretrial detention - UPDATED
- 23.08.2017Azerbaijani firefighters continue to battle forest fires in Georgia
- 22.08.2017Azerbaijan sends additional fire-fighting vehicles and personnel to Georgia
- 22.08.2017Azerbaijan wraps up search and rescue operation for missing oilmen