Interior Ministry, Prosecutor General’s Office issue statement on incident that killed three in Lerik
Azerbaijan’s Interior Ministry and Prosecutor General’s Office have issued a joint statement on the incident that claimed the lives of three people in the country’s Lerik district.
As a result of urgent investigative actions taken by the police and prosecuting authorities, a grave crime committed in Lerik was solved, said the statement.
“On Aug. 22, at 05:20am, Mehdi Mirzade, a resident of Lerik’s Vivezemin village, telephoned the Interior Ministry’s hotline, claiming that his father Elman Huseynov set fire to the house in whey they live and attempted to hill his mother Shukufa and sister Susan,” read the statement. “Immediately after receiving information, law-enforcement forces arrived at the scene, and the house indicated was on fire. Firefighters of the Ministry of Emergency Situations arrived at the scene immediately and managed to put out the fire in a short time. As a result of the fire, a three-room one storey house with a total area of 137 sq.m. burned completely.”
After the fire was extinguished, the bodies of Elman Huseynov, his wife Shukufa and daughter Susan were found burned beyond recognition. With the presence of a forensic expert, the scene and the bodies were examined, material evidence was seized and other necessary procedural actions were carried out.
“During the initial investigation, Mehdi Mirzazade said that his father stabbed his mother and sister, and attempted to injure him as well in the morning on that day, however, he run to the yard and eventually his father committed suicide by burning the house,” according to the statement. The examination of the bodies found out that Elman Huseynov sustained stab wounds.
A criminal case has been initiated under articles 120.2.7 (deliberate murder of two or more persons), 125 (bringing to suicide) and 186.2.2 (deliberate destruction or damage of property by an arson, explosion or other publicly dangers way or entailed heavy consequences) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan.
The statement further said that as there is a discrepancy between the examination and Mehdizade’s testimony and there are reasonable grounds that he committed the crime, the police detained him as a suspect.
“Urgent investigative actions revealed that a dispute arose between Elman Huseynov and his wife on Aug. 21. On the night of Aug. 22, Susan awakened to the sound and found her mother unconscious on the sofa when entered her parents’ room. Mehdizade, who entered the bedroom for a sudden noise, witnessed the body of his sister, who had been killed by his father. In turn, Mehdizade stabbed his father to death.”
“Later, in order to cover up the traces of the crime, he set fire to the house after shedding kerosene from the lamp on the dead bodies,” said the statement.
In his testimony, Mehdizade confessed to killing his father and burning the house.
The investigation into the crime is underway, said the statement.
Related news releases
- 20.11.2017Astara man commits suicide
- 20.11.2017Baku city prosecutor’s office issues statement on Lokbatan plant explosion
- 20.11.2017Another quake jolts Azerbaijan
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, who drowned in river while saving two children in Russia, awarded posthumously
- 20.11.2017One dead after explosion at plant in Baku
- 18.11.2017Quake jolts Azerbaijan’s south
- 17.11.2017Landslide in Baku, worker trapped under mud rescued - UPDATED
- 16.11.2017Preliminary information on earthquake reveals no casualty - UPDATED
- 16.11.2017Magnitude 6 earthquake hits Azerbaijani regions - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017General Prosecutor's Office: Stones were thrown at a bus in Sumgayit
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani citizen murders his fellow countryman in Moscow, confirm law enforcement
- 13.11.2017Two embassy cars collide in Baku
- 13.11.2017Prosecutor seeks 15-year jail sentence for ex-official of MNS
- 13.11.2017Kidnappers detained in Azerbaijan
- 11.11.2017Armenian-made landmine found in Aghdam
- 11.11.2017Man who left his sister with Iranian drug dealers as pledge gets arrested attempting to enter Azerbaijan with a large amount of narcotics
- 11.11.2017Two fishermen go missing in Caspian
- 11.11.2017MES: During fire in residential building 15 rescued and 20 evacuated
- 10.11.2017Fire breaks out in apartment building in Baku
- 10.11.2017Azerbaijan’s former national security minister Eldar Mahmudov questioned again
- 10.11.2017Fire in Baku business center extinguished - UPDATED
- 07.11.2017Police raid car showrooms owned by Azerbaijanis in Moscow
- 07.11.2017Vugar Mahmudov fails to file appeal against court decision
- 04.11.2017Azerbaijani citizen suspected of treason detained
- 02.11.2017Two Azerbaijanis who killed a man suspected of involvement in Rovshan Lankaransky’s murder detained Russia
- 02.11.2017Azerbaijani General Prosecutor’s Office, Interior Ministry release joint statement on special op to catch second escaped convict
- 02.11.2017Criminal case against Turan News Agency and Mehman Aliyev terminated
- 01.11.2017Recent prisoner escape discussed at Azerbaijani Justice Ministry’s collegium meeting
- 31.10.2017Employees of Azerbaijani Penitentiary Service arrested over prisoner escape face additional charge
- 30.10.2017Akif Chovdarov and others' property worth AZN 33M to be confiscated
- 30.10.2017Court to send appeal to Azerbaijani president to strip Akif Chovdarov of general rank
- 30.10.2017Ex-official of Azerbaijan’s national security ministry jailed for 12 years - UPDATED
- 30.10.2017Azerbaijani singer arrested for helping prisoners escape
- 30.10.2017Interpol-wanted Azerbaijani citizen detained in Georgia
- 27.10.2017Baku City Prosecutor’s Office initiates criminal case over sale of prohibited medicines in unlicensed pharmacy
- 27.10.2017Azerbaijan's State Security Service: Four more people detained in anti-terror operation
- 26.10.2017Azerbaijan Penitentiary Service: One of escapees captured
- 26.10.2017Ammo found in apartment of people who planned terrorist attack during rally in Baku
- 25.10.2017Group of persons planning terrorist attack at rally liquidated
- 25.10.2017Azerbaijan’s State Security Service seizes over $71,000 from currency smugglers
- 24.08.2017Azerbaijan’s firefighting team manage to extinguish fire in large area in Georgia
- 25.08.2017Azerbaijan’s firefighters extinguish fire in area of 4ha in Georgia
- 25.08.2017Mehman Aliyev sentenced to 3-month pretrial detention - UPDATED
- 23.08.2017Azerbaijani firefighters continue to battle forest fires in Georgia
- 22.08.2017Azerbaijan sends additional fire-fighting vehicles and personnel to Georgia
- 22.08.2017Azerbaijan wraps up search and rescue operation for missing oilmen