Gozal Bayramli has traveled to Georgia 41 times since early 2015: official statement
As a result of the measures jointly taken by Azerbaijan’s border guards and customs officers, 55-year-old Baku resident Gozal Bayramli was detained at the Shikhli border checkpoint in Gazakh district on May 25, 2017 while attempting to cross from Georgia into the country with undeclared 12,000 US dollars in her hand luggage, the State Border Service and the General Prosecutor’s Office said in a joint statement on Tuesday, APA reported.
According to the statement, after an image of the suspicious object appeared on the monitor while the plastic bag belonging to Bayramli was being checked through an X-ray scanner in the Sinig Korpu customs checkpoint, she was asked to present all the undeclared goods being in her possession. Bayramli answered negatively.
“Then Bayramli’s hand luggage was checked, inside of which a cellophane bag with 12,000 US dollars were found and seized,” said the statement.
The statement further said that a criminal case was initiated against Gozal Bayramli under Article 206.1 (smuggling) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan, necessary investigative actions were taken. The Sabayil district court sentenced Bayramli to 3-month pretrial detention on May 26, 2017.
“As ordered by the court, Bayramli’s apartments in Garachukhur (Surakhani district) and Tabriz street (Narimanov district) were searched, as a result of which 1,000 euros of cash, bank statements on withdrawal of 100,000 rubles by Bayramli from a Georgian bank with a receipt dated 17 April 2015 and 2,000 US dollars with another receipt also dated 17 April 2015, bank statements on the exchanging of 270,000 rubles and 4,700 US dollars with 5,076 and 4,982 manats respectively in another person’s name, and others documents,” the statement said.
Materials collected made it clear that Bayramli have traveled to Georgia 41 times since January 2015 but never stated to have any money on her, according to the statement.
The investigation is ongoing.
Related news releases
- 17.08.2017APFP deputy chairperson gets jail sentence extended
- 17.08.2017Afgan Mukhtarli’s prison sentence extended
- 17.08.2017Russia extradites Interpol-wanted Azerbaijani citizen
- 17.08.2017Information on placement of explosive in car in Baku not confirmed
- 12.08.2017Two men detained for demanding money from foreigners
- 09.08.2017Investigator of Baku City Prosecutor’s Office arrested - EXCLUSIVE
- 07.08.201713 foreigners arrested for illegally living in Azerbaijan
- 07.08.2017Lawyer: Hearing on Nail Allahverdiyev’s case held by Khatai District Court with his own participation
- 03.08.2017Russian historian-scientist summoned to Investigative Committee on basis of Armenian claims
- 31.07.2017Investigative group created over murder of 1-year-old Zahra by Armenians
- 31.07.2017Prosecutor General’s Office and Interior Ministry issue joint statement on crime committed in Hajigabul
- 31.07.2017Houses damaged after Armenia shells Garalar village of Tovuz
- 31.07.2017Man shouting 'Allahu Akbar' in front of US Embassy in Azerbaijan detained
- 29.07.201711-car chain-reaction crash in Baku, several injured
- 28.07.2017Boy, 9, accidentally kills girl, 7, in Azerbaijan’s Bilasuvar
- 27.07.2017Explosion at Lerik broiler factory triggered by gas leak - UPDATED
- 27.07.2017Former Directors-General of Aztelekom and AzInTelekom LLC released
- 26.07.2017‘Çudo Peçka’ founder arrested
- 26.07.2017Trial of former Azerbaijani ministry officials postponed
- 25.07.2017Azerbaijan’s State Security Service exposes int’l cybercrime group
- 25.07.2017Explosion occurred in Baku
- 24.07.2017Underage brothers drown in Caspian Sea
- 24.07.2017Ali Insanov transferred to maximum security jail
- 24.07.2017Details emerge of horrific Barda family murder - UPDATED
- 24.07.2017Azerbaijani family of five burned alive in fire accident in Russia
- 24.07.2017Fire in building in Baku extinguished - UPDATED
- 22.07.2017Fire at university in Baku extinguished, 4 people poisoned with smoke - UPDATED
- 22.07.2017Two children drown in canal in Aghsu
- 19.07.2017Azerbaijan detains spy network members
- 18.07.2017Man who fell into sever main and MES rescuer both died of gas poisoning - UPDATED
- 18.07.2017Earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Lankaran
- 15.07.2017Azerbaijani citizen detained in Russia on suspicion of rape and murder of 15-year-old girl
- 14.07.2017Prosecutor seeks 6.5 years in prison for Alexander Lapshin
- 13.07.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
- 13.07.2017Traffic accident kills 3 and other 3 injured in Salyan
- 11.07.2017Fire breaks out in Azerbaijan’s Gizil-Agaj State Reserve
- 07.07.20172 people die of electrocution in pool, other 2 injured
- 05.07.2017Trespass attempt prevented by Azerbaijani border guards, trespasser killed
- 30.06.2017Internationally wanted Turkish citizen detained in Azerbaijan
- 28.06.2017Man migrated with Musavat's fake membership card declared wanted
- 31.05.2017Prosecutor General's Office comments on journalist Afgan Mukhtarli’s detention
- 31.05.2017Azerbaijani court resumes trial in ex-ministry official's case
- 31.05.2017Journalist Afgan Mukhtarli put in 3-month pretrial detention
- 30.05.2017Criminal case opened over Baku car crash that killed police officer - UPDATED
- 27.05.2017Anti-pedestrian mine found in Jojuq Marjanli
- 27.05.2017One-year-old boy dies after being hit by dad’s car in Azerbaijan