Gozal Bayramli has traveled to Georgia 41 times since early 2015: official statement
As a result of the measures jointly taken by Azerbaijan’s border guards and customs officers, 55-year-old Baku resident Gozal Bayramli was detained at the Shikhli border checkpoint in Gazakh district on May 25, 2017 while attempting to cross from Georgia into the country with undeclared 12,000 US dollars in her hand luggage, the State Border Service and the General Prosecutor’s Office said in a joint statement on Tuesday, APA reported.
According to the statement, after an image of the suspicious object appeared on the monitor while the plastic bag belonging to Bayramli was being checked through an X-ray scanner in the Sinig Korpu customs checkpoint, she was asked to present all the undeclared goods being in her possession. Bayramli answered negatively.
“Then Bayramli’s hand luggage was checked, inside of which a cellophane bag with 12,000 US dollars were found and seized,” said the statement.
The statement further said that a criminal case was initiated against Gozal Bayramli under Article 206.1 (smuggling) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan, necessary investigative actions were taken. The Sabayil district court sentenced Bayramli to 3-month pretrial detention on May 26, 2017.
“As ordered by the court, Bayramli’s apartments in Garachukhur (Surakhani district) and Tabriz street (Narimanov district) were searched, as a result of which 1,000 euros of cash, bank statements on withdrawal of 100,000 rubles by Bayramli from a Georgian bank with a receipt dated 17 April 2015 and 2,000 US dollars with another receipt also dated 17 April 2015, bank statements on the exchanging of 270,000 rubles and 4,700 US dollars with 5,076 and 4,982 manats respectively in another person’s name, and others documents,” the statement said.
Materials collected made it clear that Bayramli have traveled to Georgia 41 times since January 2015 but never stated to have any money on her, according to the statement.
The investigation is ongoing.
Related news releases
- 23.03.2018Azerbaijani citizen detained while attempting to smuggle 40kg of jewelry to Georgia
- 22.03.2018Prisoner’s brother attempts to carry narcotic substance inside his nose to prison
- 22.03.2018Azerbaijan’s border guards prevent another drug smuggling attempt
- 20.03.2018Bulgarian and Azerbaijani citizens die in car crash in Goygol
- 20.03.2018Car crashes into tree, 2 dead and 3 injured
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan prosecutes 44 foreigners for drug trafficking in 2017
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan detains two suspected drug smugglers
- 19.03.2018Baku police seize nearly 36 kg of drugs in two days
- 16.03.2018Six people killed in car crash on Aghsu-Kurdamir highway
- 16.03.2018Azerbaijan puts gang member accused of killing hostage on Interpol wanted list
- 16.03.2018Criminal case against ex-chairman of management board of Azerbaijani bank sent to court
- 15.03.2018Trial resumed for ex-employees of Azerbaijani National Security Ministry
- 15.03.2018Azerbaijani State Security Service reveals gang engaged in illegal human organ trade
- 14.03.2018Cyber-swindler detained in Azerbaijan
- 13.03.2018Five Azerbaijani families may be evicted from their homes in Tbilisi
- 13.03.2018Azerbaijani Coast Guard rescues fishermen from stormy sea
- 12.03.2018Iranian citizens detained in Baku over smuggling of drugs
- 12.03.2018Azerbaijani border guards prevent drug smuggling attempt
- 12.03.2018Fishermen rescued from sea in adverse weather
- 10.03.2018Azerbaijan detains four foreigners for border trespassing attempt
- 09.03.2018Two Azerbaijani citizens detained in Kiev
- 09.03.2018Azerbaijan detains two Iranians for maritime trespassing
- 07.03.2018Members of extremist religious group eliminated in Azerbaijan
- 06.03.2018Russian citizen suspected of murder detained at Azerbaijani-Georgian border
- 06.03.2018Quake hits Caspian Sea
- 06.03.2018Fire at Baku drug rehab center was arson, one arrested
- 05.03.2018Azerbaijani Prosecutor General’s Office releases information on death of 6 family members in Sumgayit
- 05.03.2018Six family members die of carbon monoxide poisoning in Azerbaijan
- 02.03.2018Hotline created in connection with Drug Rehab Center fire in Azerbaijan
- 02.03.2018Testimony by AzTV chairman during preliminary investigation made public
- 02.03.2018Famous Azerbaijani journalist dies from carbon monoxide poisoning
- 02.03.2018Azerbaijan sets up State Commission in connection with Drug Rehab Center fire
- 02.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev instructs to investigate causes of fire in drug abuse treatment center
- 02.03.201825 people killed in fire outbreak in Azerbaijani drug abuse treatment center
- 02.03.201843 fire engines involved in extinguishing fire in Azerbaijani drug abuse treatment center
- 02.03.2018Fire outbreak in Azerbaijani drug abuse treatment center kills 24 people - UPDATED
- 02.03.2018President Ilham Aliyev arrives at Drug Abuse Treatment Center after fire outbreak
- 02.03.2018Azerbaijani officials arrive at Baku Drug Abuse Treatment Center after fire outbreak
- 01.03.2018Azerbaijan initiates criminal cases against some construction companies for labor law violations
- 01.03.2018Two persons accused of theft in apartment of building constructed for journalists in Baku detained
- 31.05.2017Prosecutor General's Office comments on journalist Afgan Mukhtarli’s detention
- 31.05.2017Azerbaijani court resumes trial in ex-ministry official's case
- 31.05.2017Journalist Afgan Mukhtarli put in 3-month pretrial detention
- 30.05.2017Criminal case opened over Baku car crash that killed police officer - UPDATED
- 27.05.2017Anti-pedestrian mine found in Jojuq Marjanli
- 27.05.2017One-year-old boy dies after being hit by dad’s car in Azerbaijan