Gozal Bayramli has traveled to Georgia 41 times since early 2015: official statement
As a result of the measures jointly taken by Azerbaijan’s border guards and customs officers, 55-year-old Baku resident Gozal Bayramli was detained at the Shikhli border checkpoint in Gazakh district on May 25, 2017 while attempting to cross from Georgia into the country with undeclared 12,000 US dollars in her hand luggage, the State Border Service and the General Prosecutor’s Office said in a joint statement on Tuesday, APA reported.
According to the statement, after an image of the suspicious object appeared on the monitor while the plastic bag belonging to Bayramli was being checked through an X-ray scanner in the Sinig Korpu customs checkpoint, she was asked to present all the undeclared goods being in her possession. Bayramli answered negatively.
“Then Bayramli’s hand luggage was checked, inside of which a cellophane bag with 12,000 US dollars were found and seized,” said the statement.
The statement further said that a criminal case was initiated against Gozal Bayramli under Article 206.1 (smuggling) of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan, necessary investigative actions were taken. The Sabayil district court sentenced Bayramli to 3-month pretrial detention on May 26, 2017.
“As ordered by the court, Bayramli’s apartments in Garachukhur (Surakhani district) and Tabriz street (Narimanov district) were searched, as a result of which 1,000 euros of cash, bank statements on withdrawal of 100,000 rubles by Bayramli from a Georgian bank with a receipt dated 17 April 2015 and 2,000 US dollars with another receipt also dated 17 April 2015, bank statements on the exchanging of 270,000 rubles and 4,700 US dollars with 5,076 and 4,982 manats respectively in another person’s name, and others documents,” the statement said.
Materials collected made it clear that Bayramli have traveled to Georgia 41 times since January 2015 but never stated to have any money on her, according to the statement.
The investigation is ongoing.
Related news releases
- 21.06.2017Lawyers seek acquittal for Vidadi Zeynalov
- 21.06.2017Former Baku Metro chief testifies at trial of national security ministry’s ex-employees
- 21.06.2017Child poisoned to death by own mother in Azerbaijan
- 20.06.2017ANAMA: Two Azerbaijan citizens injured in mine blast on Turkey-Iran border - UPDATED
- 20.06.2017Armenians seeking to be a “hero” on paper: Azerbaijani MoD
- 20.06.2017US embassy car crashes in Baku
- 19.06.2017Azerbaijan issues int’l arrest warrant for 5 people accused of abduction
- 19.06.2017Secretary of Malaysian embassy gets into road accident in Baku
- 17.06.2017Baku court begins trial in International Bank employee’s case
- 16.06.2017Russian court extends prison sentence of Azerbaijani national accused of recruiting students for terror organizations
- 14.06.2017Trial continues for ex-ministry official Vidadi Zeynalov charged with embezzlement
- 14.06.2017Azerbaijan detains 32 trespassers in May
- 13.06.2017Azerbaijani Prosecutor General's Office denies MP’s statement on Afgan Mukhtarli
- 10.06.2017Fire at Baku Sadarak Trade Center localized- UPDATED
- 09.06.2017Man kills his parents in Masalli region
- 09.06.2017Ex-ministry official Beytulla Huseynov, accused of embezzlement, pays for damage caused to state
- 09.06.2017Man stabs his wife, two minor children to death in Azerbaijan’s Mingachevir
- 07.06.2017Hilal Asadov testifies in Akif Chovdarov’s trial
- 07.06.2017UAE embassy gets into accident in Baku
- 06.06.2017Azerbaijan, Russia hold joint cross-border operations
- 06.06.2017Azerbaijan completes investigation of 73 corruption-related cases since early 2017
- 06.06.2017Baku court dismisses appeal by Afgan Mukhtarli
- 06.06.2017Fortune teller detained in Baku
- 05.06.2017Akif Chovdarov's trial continues
- 02.06.2017Court denies APFP deputy chairperson’s appeal
- 02.06.2017Trial in case of ex-ministry official Vidadi Zeynalov continues
- 01.06.2017Court denies appeal filed by former IBA head
- 01.06.2017Azerbaijani SBS, Prosecutor General’s Office release statement on journalist Afgan Mukhtarli’s arrest
- 27.05.2017SSS head: No provocation committed during Islamic Solidarity Games
- 27.05.2017State Security Service transferred information about spy network to Defense Ministry - minister
- 26.05.2017APFP deputy chairperson Gozal Bayramli detained: State Border Service
- 25.05.2017Headquarters: Another body found in Caspian Sea
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijan police detain two charged with making counterfeit money
- 24.05.2017Inmate hangs himself in Azerbaijan
- 23.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets Baku 2017 winners and their coaches
- 20.05.2017Traffic to be restricted in Baku on day of closing of Islamic Solidarity Games
- 20.05.2017Man shooting 26-year-old youth detained in Baku
- 19.05.2017Azerbaijani accused of killing Ukrainian kickboxer standing trial
- 19.05.2017Prosecutor seeks 14-year sentence for Vidadi Zeynalov
- 18.05.2017Trial continues in case of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
- 31.05.2017Prosecutor General's Office comments on journalist Afgan Mukhtarli’s detention
- 31.05.2017Azerbaijani court resumes trial in ex-ministry official's case
- 31.05.2017Journalist Afgan Mukhtarli put in 3-month pretrial detention
- 30.05.2017Criminal case opened over Baku car crash that killed police officer - UPDATED
- 27.05.2017Anti-pedestrian mine found in Jojuq Marjanli
- 27.05.2017One-year-old boy dies after being hit by dad’s car in Azerbaijan