Azerbaijan: Russian tourists trapped in Shamakhi mountains rescued - UPDATED-3
A car in which foreign citizens were trapped in a mountainous area near Pirbayli village, Shamakhi district, is being brought to the city of Shamakhi by a crew of the Civil Defense Force, Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Emergency Situations said.
“Both persons are citizens of the Russian Federation. A Nissan, in which they were trapped, was towed and is being delivered to the city of Shamakhi. Additional information will be made public,” the ministry said.
The foreign citizens who got trapped in cars in a mountainous area near Pirbayli village, Shamakhi district, have been located by a helicopter of Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Emergency Situations.
The ministry said there is no threat to tourists’ health. “They refused to be evacuated by the helicopter. The forces of the Civil Defense Troops are now heading to the site to help the foreign citizens. Additional information will be made public,” the ministry said.
A Ka-32A helicopter of the Aviation Division of Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Emergency Situations is involved in a search for foreign citizens trapped in cars in a mountainous area near Pirbayli village, Shamakhi district, the ministry said in a statement.
Additional information will soon be given.
Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Emergency Situations has issued a statement on foreign citizens being left helpless in a mountainous area in the country’s Shamakhi district.
According to the information received by the Crisis Management Center from the State Maritime Administration, foreign citizens left helpless inside two Nissan Patrol cars in an impassable mountainous areas in the country’s Shamakhi district, said the statement.
The relevant forces and equipment of the Civil Defense Troops of the Ministry of Emergency Situations are involved in the area.
Additional information will be provided.
At 06:48 (UTC +4) on October 3, Long Range Identification and Tracking National Centre of the State Maritime Administration of Azerbaijan received a request from the 911 Emergency Communications Center of the United States of America about foreign citizens in two Nissan Patrol cars who need help in a mountainous area in Azerbaijan’s Shamakhi district.
According to the press service of the State Maritime Administration, information about the persons who need help and their coordinates were immediately transferred to 112 Call Center of the Ministry of Emergency Situations.
A search operation is currently underway using all the means.
Related news releases
- 20.01.2018Armenian military fires at Azerbaijani border village
- 18.01.2018Nearly 93% of murders in Baku solved – police chief
- 17.01.2018Pistol found in Baku cemetery
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan concludes investigation of 214 criminal cases against 305 officials in 2017
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan Anti-Corruption Department names most corrupted spheres
- 17.01.2018Russian scientist returns home after detention in Azerbaijan
- 17.01.2018Three injured as car carrying Arab tourists overturns in Azerbaijan
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan puts 34 people on Interpol wanted list on corruption charges
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan Anti-Corruption Dept: Properties worth AZN 15 mln of people accused of corruption seized
- 16.01.2018Mud volcano erupts in Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018More details emerge of detention of Russian scientist in Azerbaijan
- 15.01.2018Interior Minister: 1,028 criminal groups accused of committing 2,698 crimes neutralized in Azerbaijan last year
- 13.01.2018Artillery shells found in Aghdam’s Guzanli
- 13.01.2018Attic of residential house collapses in Shirvan, one person gets stuck under
- 13.01.2018Two detained in Azerbaijan over hoax call about terror attack, police say
- 13.01.2018Azerbaijani police seize over 5.5 kg of drugs
- 12.01.2018Afgan Mukhtarli sentenced to 6 years in prison - UPDATED
- 12.01.2018Azerbaijani custom officers prevent sturgeon smuggling
- 11.01.2018Border guards detain three persons who tried to illegally leave Azerbaijan
- 11.01.2018Vehicle carrying film crew of Azerbaijani TV channel crashes into barrier
- 09.01.2018Austrian mountaineer says 'it would be easier to find missing Azerbaijani climbers if they equipped with special devices'
- 09.01.2018Deputy Minister: Sports club directly responsible for not providing missing mountaineers with necessary equipment
- 09.01.2018Search for missing Azerbaijani mountaineers will continue – ministry
- 09.01.2018Operational headquarters created to conduct search for missing mountaineers in Azerbaijan holds meeting
- 09.01.2018Iranian woman, daughter detained at Baku airport with fake passports
- 06.01.2018Azerbaijan opens criminal case after mountain climbers go missing - OFFICIAL STATEMENT
- 05.01.2018Azerbaijan hit by earthquake
- 05.01.2018Baku police detain persons over false notification of bomb threat in hotel and storage
- 05.01.2018Prosecutor General: Persons accused of committing most resonant crimes in Azerbaijan last year exposed
- 04.01.20189 killed, 45 injured in Azerbaijan road accidents during holidays
- 03.01.2018Russia puts Azerbaijani on Interpol wanted list on terror charges
- 30.12.2017Search underway for missing mountain climbers
- 30.12.2017Cybercriminal who stole money from Azerbaijani banks detained and extradited to Azerbaijan
- 30.12.2017ANAMA specialists involved in search for missing mountain climbers
- 29.12.2017Bodies of Azerbaijanis killed in car crash in Russia brought to homeland
- 29.12.2017Search underway for missing mountain climbers in Azerbaijan
- 28.12.2017Additional rescue team joins search for missing mountaineers in Azerbaijan
- 27.12.2017Search underway for missing climbers in Azerbaijan, special headquarters set up
- 27.12.2017One of missing Azerbaijani climbers is employee of Interior Ministry’s press service
- 27.12.2017Azerbaijani MES releases information on missing mountain climbers
- 04.10.2017Azerbaijan: Russian citizens rescued after being trapped in Shamakhi mountains identified
- 04.10.2017Prosecutor seeks 12-year sentence for man accused of planning terror attacks in Azerbaijani universities
- 04.10.2017Akif Chovdarov making final statement at trial
- 03.10.2017Baku Appellate Court considers appeal filed against verdict on Vidadi Zeynalov
- 02.10.2017Trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials continues
- 02.10.2017Four Azerbaijanis die in Ukraine hostel fire