Azerbaijan: Russian tourists trapped in Shamakhi mountains rescued - UPDATED-3
A car in which foreign citizens were trapped in a mountainous area near Pirbayli village, Shamakhi district, is being brought to the city of Shamakhi by a crew of the Civil Defense Force, Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Emergency Situations said.
“Both persons are citizens of the Russian Federation. A Nissan, in which they were trapped, was towed and is being delivered to the city of Shamakhi. Additional information will be made public,” the ministry said.
The foreign citizens who got trapped in cars in a mountainous area near Pirbayli village, Shamakhi district, have been located by a helicopter of Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Emergency Situations.
The ministry said there is no threat to tourists’ health. “They refused to be evacuated by the helicopter. The forces of the Civil Defense Troops are now heading to the site to help the foreign citizens. Additional information will be made public,” the ministry said.
A Ka-32A helicopter of the Aviation Division of Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Emergency Situations is involved in a search for foreign citizens trapped in cars in a mountainous area near Pirbayli village, Shamakhi district, the ministry said in a statement.
Additional information will soon be given.
Azerbaijan’s Ministry of Emergency Situations has issued a statement on foreign citizens being left helpless in a mountainous area in the country’s Shamakhi district.
According to the information received by the Crisis Management Center from the State Maritime Administration, foreign citizens left helpless inside two Nissan Patrol cars in an impassable mountainous areas in the country’s Shamakhi district, said the statement.
The relevant forces and equipment of the Civil Defense Troops of the Ministry of Emergency Situations are involved in the area.
Additional information will be provided.
At 06:48 (UTC +4) on October 3, Long Range Identification and Tracking National Centre of the State Maritime Administration of Azerbaijan received a request from the 911 Emergency Communications Center of the United States of America about foreign citizens in two Nissan Patrol cars who need help in a mountainous area in Azerbaijan’s Shamakhi district.
According to the press service of the State Maritime Administration, information about the persons who need help and their coordinates were immediately transferred to 112 Call Center of the Ministry of Emergency Situations.
A search operation is currently underway using all the means.
Related news releases
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani court upholds State Security Service’s AZN 1M lawsuit against liquidated MNS
- 23.04.2018Azerbaijani court pronounces verdict against ex-employees of liquidated national security ministry
- 23.04.2018State Security Service: Illegal religious complex revealed in Baku
- 20.04.2018Three artillery shells found on territory of police station in Baku
- 20.04.2018Court to pronounce verdict against ex-employees of liquidated MNS on April 23
- 19.04.2018Shells and grenade discovered around reservoir in Azerbaijan
- 19.04.201853 Azerbaijani citizens convicted abroad repatriated in 2017
- 19.04.2018Azerbaijani citizen on Interpol wanted list on fraud charges
- 18.04.2018Azerbaijani female member of Georgian criminal gang detained in France
- 16.04.2018ICRC representatives meet with Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 13.04.2018Baku police warn National Council over scheduled rally
- 12.04.2018Five Sri Lanka citizens detained in Azerbaijan
- 12.04.2018Man who brought illegal drugs worth $40,000 to Azerbaijan detained
- 11.04.2018Mother dies after giving birth in Azerbaijan
- 10.04.2018Several Nardaran residents detained for illegal arms storage
- 05.04.201873 kg of explosives found in Azerbaijan’s Goygol
- 05.04.2018Azerbaijani Supreme Court reaches verdict to release executive director of internet TV ‘Kanal-13’
- 03.04.2018Fire occurs in building settled by IDPs in Baku, 55 evacuated
- 03.04.2018Azerbaijani Prosecutor General’s Office, Interior Ministry comment on statement of former MNS official
- 03.04.2018Director of Shaki Regional Perinatal Center detained
- 02.04.2018French media outlets notified of Rahim Namazov not being a journalist: Azerbaijani Embassy
- 31.03.2018Azerbaijan opens criminal case regarding Armenia plundering Azerbaijan's natural resources
- 31.03.2018Azerbaijani killed in Kharkiv identified - EXCLUSIVE
- 30.03.2018Azerbaijani man shot and wounded in France after insulting crime bosses
- 30.03.2018Azerbaijani shot dead in Ukraine’s Kharkiv
- 29.03.2018Two detained in Baku over production of counterfeit alcoholic beverages
- 28.03.2018Search for missing mountaineers in Azerbaijan’s Guba continues
- 28.03.2018Arab tourist reported missing in Baku found
- 27.03.2018Arab tourist goes missing in Baku
- 26.03.2018Minister: 64 people killed in Russian shopping centre fire
- 26.03.2018Man showing armed resistance to police destroyed
- 26.03.2018FM: No Azerbaijani among those injured and killed in the fire broke out in Russia - UPDATED
- 23.03.2018Azerbaijani citizen detained while attempting to smuggle 40kg of jewelry to Georgia
- 22.03.2018Prisoner’s brother attempts to carry narcotic substance inside his nose to prison
- 22.03.2018Azerbaijan’s border guards prevent another drug smuggling attempt
- 20.03.2018Bulgarian and Azerbaijani citizens die in car crash in Goygol
- 20.03.2018Car crashes into tree, 2 dead and 3 injured
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan prosecutes 44 foreigners for drug trafficking in 2017
- 19.03.2018Azerbaijan detains two suspected drug smugglers
- 19.03.2018Baku police seize nearly 36 kg of drugs in two days
- 04.10.2017Azerbaijan: Russian citizens rescued after being trapped in Shamakhi mountains identified
- 04.10.2017Prosecutor seeks 12-year sentence for man accused of planning terror attacks in Azerbaijani universities
- 04.10.2017Akif Chovdarov making final statement at trial
- 03.10.2017Baku Appellate Court considers appeal filed against verdict on Vidadi Zeynalov
- 02.10.2017Trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials continues
- 02.10.2017Four Azerbaijanis die in Ukraine hostel fire