Efforts underway to extinguish forest fire in Azerbaijan’s Gabala
Urgent efforts are being made to put out a forest fire in Azerbaijan’s Gabala district.
Firefighting efforts are underway in the forest zone surrounding the villages of Solguja, Abrikh and Dandikh where mostly dry grass, bushes, partly trees are burning, an operational headquarters set up to tackle the forest fire in Gabala told APA.
A total of 520 personnel, 36 units of equipment and one helicopter from the Emergency Situations Ministry’s State Fire Protection Service, Civil Defense Troops, Special Risks Rescue Service, Aviation Team and the North-West Regional Center are involved in firefighting efforts. Moreover, 50 personnel from the Ecology and Natural Resources Ministry’s Forestry Department, 19 vehicles of various purposes of the Gabala District Executive Authority and voluntary groups of residents of nearby settlements are taking part in extinguishing the fire.
The specially created headquarters is headed by Deputy Minister of Emergency Situations, Lieutenant-General Etibar Mirzayev. Minister of Emergency Situations, Colonel General Kemaleddin Heydarov is regularly informed about the work being done.
The area where the fire occurred is approximately 1000 m above sea level. High air temperature and wind impedes the efforts to extinguish the fire. The area with a complex terrain makes it difficult to deliver equipment to the scene of fire. Therefore, all means, mainly manual labor are used in putting out the fire. A Ka-32A helicopter of the Emergency Situations Ministry’s Aviation Unit is involved in firefighting efforts in hard-to-reach mountain areas. In addition, to join the efforts to put out the fire, forces of the Special Risks Rescue Service have been landed at the scene.
The Ministry of Emergency Situations calls on media outlets, representatives of the public, social network users not to use unofficial, unspecified information about the accident.
To get information about the ministry’s activities on a regular basis, please visit www.fhn.gov.az.
Additional information on firefighting efforts will be provided.
- 20.09.2017Court gives Akif Chovdarov time for final statement
- 19.09.2017Ten people suffer minor smoke inhalation after fire at warehouse of cosmetics factory in Baku
- 18.09.2017Akif Chovdarov's lawyer makes speech at trial
- 16.09.2017Tofig Zulfugarov: ‘I have been involved in the investigation on this traffic accident as a witness’
- 15.09.2017Human rights defenders issue statement on release of a group of persons
- 15.09.2017Son of Baku City Main Police Department spokesman arrested over fatal road accident
- 15.09.2017APFP chairman’s assistant released from prison
- 14.09.2017Another four people arrested over Nardaran events released
- 13.09.2017Alexander Lapshin’s mother arrives in Baku
- 12.09.2017Lapshin’s mother to arrive in Baku, blogger to be sent to Israel in coming days
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijani citizen killed in Tbilisi
- 11.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev pardons Alexander Lapshin
- 11.09.2017Azerbaijan detained 47 trespassers last month
- 11.09.2017Moldovan embassy car crashes in Baku
- 07.09.2017Another meeting held at headquarters set up to tackle forest fires in Azerbaijan’s Gabala
- 05.09.2017Forest fires in Azerbaijan’s Gabala fully brought under control
- 31.08.2017Consul: Mother of Azerbaijani athlete killed in road accident in Lebanon will fly to Beirut
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijan’s helicopter joins operation to extinguish forest fires in Georgia
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijan again sends helicopter to help Georgia tackle forest fires
- 29.08.2017Trial of Azerbaijan MNS ex-officials continues
- 29.08.2017Azerbaijani police to tighten security during Eid al-Adha holidays
- 28.08.2017Azerbaijan’s firefighting and rescue forces return home from Georgia
- 28.08.2017Last victim of weapons storage fire in Azerbaijan discharged from hospital
- 28.08.2017Suspected terrorist eliminated in Azerbaijan
- 27.08.2017Fire at military unit of Defense Ministry localized and prevented from spreading
- 27.08.2017Special commission set up under Azerbaijani president's instructions to determine cause of fire at weapons storage
- 27.08.2017Immediate measures are being taken at the scene of the incident
- 27.08.2017Fire breaks out at weapons storage in Azerbaijan
- 26.08.2017Prime Minister of Georgia met with helicopter crew of the Ministry of Emergency Situations of Azerbaijan
- 25.08.2017Two killed as car hits pedestrians in Tovuz
- 25.08.2017Azerbaijani Ministry of Emergency Situations issues statement on fire-fighting ops in Georgia
- 25.08.2017Mehman Aliyev sentenced to 3-month pretrial detention - UPDATED
- 25.08.2017Azerbaijan’s firefighters extinguish fire in area of 4ha in Georgia
- 24.08.2017Azerbaijan’s firefighting team manage to extinguish fire in large area in Georgia
- 23.08.2017Interior Ministry, Prosecutor General’s Office issue statement on incident that killed three in Lerik
- 23.08.2017Azerbaijani firefighters continue to battle forest fires in Georgia
- 22.08.2017Azerbaijan sends additional fire-fighting vehicles and personnel to Georgia
- 22.08.2017Azerbaijan wraps up search and rescue operation for missing oilmen
- 22.08.2017Azerbaijan’s helicopter involved in efforts to tackle forest fires in Georgia - UPDATED
- 22.08.2017Three killed in house fire in Azerbaijan’s Lerik
- 04.09.2017Forest fire in Azerbaijan’s Gabala brought under control
- 04.09.2017Meeting held at headquarters set up to tackle forest fire in Azerbaijan's Gabala
- 05.09.2017Fire in territory of Shahdag National Park extinguished
- 01.09.2017MENR chooses emergency mode as fires continue in Gabala
- 31.08.2017Fire localized in Georgia’s Abastumani, Azerbaijan actively involved in ops
- 31.08.2017Fire breaks out in forest in Azerbaijan’s Oghuz