Efforts underway to extinguish forest fire in Azerbaijan’s Gabala
Urgent efforts are being made to put out a forest fire in Azerbaijan’s Gabala district.
Firefighting efforts are underway in the forest zone surrounding the villages of Solguja, Abrikh and Dandikh where mostly dry grass, bushes, partly trees are burning, an operational headquarters set up to tackle the forest fire in Gabala told APA.
A total of 520 personnel, 36 units of equipment and one helicopter from the Emergency Situations Ministry’s State Fire Protection Service, Civil Defense Troops, Special Risks Rescue Service, Aviation Team and the North-West Regional Center are involved in firefighting efforts. Moreover, 50 personnel from the Ecology and Natural Resources Ministry’s Forestry Department, 19 vehicles of various purposes of the Gabala District Executive Authority and voluntary groups of residents of nearby settlements are taking part in extinguishing the fire.
The specially created headquarters is headed by Deputy Minister of Emergency Situations, Lieutenant-General Etibar Mirzayev. Minister of Emergency Situations, Colonel General Kemaleddin Heydarov is regularly informed about the work being done.
The area where the fire occurred is approximately 1000 m above sea level. High air temperature and wind impedes the efforts to extinguish the fire. The area with a complex terrain makes it difficult to deliver equipment to the scene of fire. Therefore, all means, mainly manual labor are used in putting out the fire. A Ka-32A helicopter of the Emergency Situations Ministry’s Aviation Unit is involved in firefighting efforts in hard-to-reach mountain areas. In addition, to join the efforts to put out the fire, forces of the Special Risks Rescue Service have been landed at the scene.
The Ministry of Emergency Situations calls on media outlets, representatives of the public, social network users not to use unofficial, unspecified information about the accident.
To get information about the ministry’s activities on a regular basis, please visit www.fhn.gov.az.
Additional information on firefighting efforts will be provided.
- 20.02.2018One of Azerbaijanis injured in Russia apartment fire dies
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan detains Uzbek, Kyrgyz citizens for attempting to illegally cross border with Iran
- 19.02.2018Turkish, Azerbaijani women sentenced to life in prison for collaborating with ISIL
- 19.02.2018Fire breaks out in former Azerbaijani transport minister’s house
- 19.02.2018Chairman of the State Committee for City Building and Architecture of Azerbaijan dies
- 17.02.2018Man detained for pretending to be Security Service official
- 17.02.2018Suspect in murder of woman whose body was found chopped into pieces in Baku detained
- 16.02.2018Female body found chopped into pieces in Baku
- 14.02.2018Two people detained in Baku for making counterfeit money
- 13.02.2018Three detained in Baku for attempted mercury sale
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijanis killed in apartment fire in Russia identified - UPDATED
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani State Migration Service, Prosecutor General’s Office release statement on detention of illegal migrants
- 12.02.2018Judicial investigation into case of Azerbaijan’s former security officials completed
- 12.02.2018Another Azerbaijani killed in Syria
- 09.02.2018Criminal gang leader declared wanted by Azerbaijan 20 years ago detained in Moscow
- 09.02.2018Illegal migrants detained in Azerbaijan
- 07.02.2018Violations revealed in work of 24 municipalities in Azerbaijan last year
- 06.02.2018Azerbaijani declared internationally wanted by Russia killed in Mosul
- 03.02.2018Five poisoned by smoke in fire at residential building in Baku
- 01.02.2018Russia puts Azerbaijani on Interpol wanted list on charges of joining illegal armed groups
- 01.02.2018Baku woman steals $58,000 from her own home
- 31.01.2018UXOs found in Goranboy
- 30.01.2018Azerbaijan detains Uzbek citizens over attempt to illegally cross border with Iran
- 29.01.20183 Arabs detained in Azerbaijan for illegal hunting
- 29.01.2018Above 300 Azerbaijanis reportedly killed in battles in Syria, Iraq – State Committee
- 27.01.2018Zakir Garalov: Prosecuting authorities are successfully fulfilling president’s task on humanization of punishment policy
- 27.01.2018Zakir Garalov: 418 unsolved crimes have been solved
- 27.01.2018Azerbaijani MES issues statement on fire outbreak incident in Baku
- 26.01.2018ANAMA finds 20 UXOs in Aghstafa
- 26.01.2018Georgia initiates criminal prosecution against Azerbaijani transplant surgeon
- 26.01.2018Baku police kill man who showed armed resistance
- 25.01.2018Azerbaijani MES reveals number of emergency situations in 2017
- 25.01.2018Names of Azerbaijanis aboard missing vessel in Sea of Japan revealed - UPDATED
- 25.01.2018Turkish businessman’s house robbed in Baku
- 24.01.2018Five dismissed from prosecuting authorities in Baku
- 24.01.2018Azerbaijani MES to hold firefighting training
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijan detains Pakistani, Indian nationals accused of organizing illegal migration channel
- 22.01.2018Search for missing mountaineers in Azerbaijan continues
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijani State Security Service exposes big network engaged in currency smuggling
- 20.01.2018Armenian military fires at Azerbaijani border village
- 04.09.2017Forest fire in Azerbaijan’s Gabala brought under control
- 04.09.2017Meeting held at headquarters set up to tackle forest fire in Azerbaijan's Gabala
- 05.09.2017Fire in territory of Shahdag National Park extinguished
- 01.09.2017MENR chooses emergency mode as fires continue in Gabala
- 31.08.2017Fire localized in Georgia’s Abastumani, Azerbaijan actively involved in ops
- 31.08.2017Fire breaks out in forest in Azerbaijan’s Oghuz