Criminal case against Turan News Agency and Mehman Aliyev terminated
The criminal case filed against Turan News Agency and its director Mehman Aliyev has been terminated, lawyer Fuad Agayev told APA.
A relevant decision was made by the investigative body, the lawyer said.
Turan News Agency also released information, saying that the Prosecutor General’s Office sent an official notification to Mehman Aliyev on the termination of the criminal case.
The notification says that the criminal case filed against Turan News Agency under articles 192.2.2, 213.1 and 308.1 of the Criminal Code of Azerbaijan was terminated.
Based on the results of a raid conducted by the Ministry of Taxes in the office of Turan News Agency on August 25 in order to investigate the existence of tax risks and cases of tax evasion, the Department for the Preliminary Investigation of Tax Crimes has initiated a criminal case under Article 213.1 (tax evasion) of the Criminal Code.
The investigation found out that Turan News Agency director Mehman Aliyev, having abused his powers and assumed the responsibility for keeping records of the financial and economic activities of the agency violated the requirements of Azerbaijan’s law “On grants”.
In addition, there were reasonable suspicions that Mehman Aliyev being engaged in illegal entrepreneurial activity by obtaining great amount of money, that is illegal income in the amount of 148,310 manats on the unregistered grant contracts in 2010-2014 caused significant damage to the interests of the state, and avoided paying to the state budget the profit tax in the amount of 60,080 manats by including distorted information to the income tax returns submitted to the tax authority in 2010-2016.
Mehman Aliyev was detained on August 24 on charges of illegal entrepreneurship (Article № 192.2), tax evasion (Article № 213.1) and abuse of power (Article № 308). He was put in pretrial detention by a decision of the Yasamal district court.
Related news releases
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijani police neutralize 47 groups accused of committing grave crimes in H1 2018
- 14.07.2018Three more people arrested in Azerbaijan over Ganja events
- 14.07.2018Azerbaijan’s interior minister convenes board meeting
- 13.07.2018Azerbaijan arrests 3, opens 21 criminal cases over open terrorist calls
- 13.07.201811 active participants of Ganja events detained, one liquated
- 12.07.2018Nine arrested over events in Azerbaijan’s Ganja city
- 11.07.2018Three people drown in Caspian Sea
- 11.07.2018Suspect in murder of police officer in Azerbaijan’s Ganja detained
- 11.07.2018Police officers killed in Ganja showed loyalty to state – deputy interior minister
- 11.07.2018Fire breaks out in Azerbaijan forest belt
- 11.07.2018Police officers martyred in Ganja events laid to rest - UPDATED
- 11.07.2018Azerbaijan launches manhunt for two suspects in Ganja events
- 10.07.2018State Security Service: Over 1,000 Azerbaijanis went to Syrian conflict zone
- 09.07.2018Azerbaijan opens criminal case against provocative calls on social networks
- 07.07.2018Fire that broke out in Yardimli mountains contained
- 06.07.2018Three people drown in Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea
- 06.07.2018Yunis Safarov is radical-minded person, say relatives
- 06.07.2018Reps of Azerbaijan Anti-Torture Committee meets Yunis Safarov
- 06.07.2018Azerbaijan’s law enforcement authorities issue joint statement on armed attack on Ganja city mayor
- 05.07.2018Ministry: Fire in territory of Azerbaijan Thermal Power Plant extinguished - UPDATED
- 05.07.2018Azerbaijani citizen on Interpol’s wanted list for fighting against NATO forces
- 04.07.2018Emergency Situations Minister Kamaladdin Heydarov visits Mingachevir
- 03.07.2018Azerbaijan sets up commission to investigate cross country power failure
- 03.07.2018Deputy PM and Azerenergy chairman visit Mingachevir
- 02.07.2018Over 2,000 crimes are solved in Azerbaijan every year – interior minister
- 29.06.2018Azerbaijan hit by another earthquake
- 29.06.2018Earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s north
- 25.06.2018Azerbaijani faces terrorist propaganda charge in Georgia for anti-Armenian Facebook post
- 23.06.2018Azerbaijani police seize large quantity of drugs
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan’s state bodies issue joint statement on facts of poisoning in cotton fields
- 22.06.2018Details emerge of detention of Azerbaijani bank’s former senior official
- 22.06.2018Azerbaijan detains 2 foreigners with fake documents
- 20.06.2018Body of missing Azerbaijani student found in Lake Albona in Italy - UPDATED
- 20.06.2018Rockets found in Shirvan National Park
- 19.06.2018MES releases statement on fire at restaurant in Baku - UPDATED
- 19.06.2018MES releases statement on fire at building material store in Baku - UPDATED
- 19.06.2018MENR conducting monitoring and investigation at fire scene
- 18.06.2018Georgia police detain affiliates of Azerbaijani mafia boss
- 15.06.2018Gazakh resident receives bullet wound in unknown circumstances
- 14.06.2018Daycare worker accused of child maltreatment jailed for 3 months
- 02.11.2017Azerbaijani General Prosecutor’s Office, Interior Ministry release joint statement on special op to catch second escaped convict
- 02.11.2017Two Azerbaijanis who killed a man suspected of involvement in Rovshan Lankaransky’s murder detained Russia
- 04.11.2017Azerbaijani citizen suspected of treason detained
- 01.11.2017Recent prisoner escape discussed at Azerbaijani Justice Ministry’s collegium meeting
- 31.10.2017Employees of Azerbaijani Penitentiary Service arrested over prisoner escape face additional charge
- 30.10.2017Akif Chovdarov and others' property worth AZN 33M to be confiscated