Consul: Mother of Azerbaijani athlete killed in road accident in Lebanon will fly to Beirut
Some details have emerged of the death of Azerbaijani athlete Khazar Aliyev in a road accident in Lebanon’s capital Beirut.
Athlete Khazar Aliyev visited Beirut to rest, the deceased’s friend told APA.
According to him, Khazar Aliyev had a rest in a club at night with his friend. “A dispute erupted between them and a taxi driver when they were returning home in the morning. The driver dropped them off the taxi on the bridge with a permitted speed of 130-140 km/hour. Khazar Aliyev was hit by a car at the time when he got out of the car and was about to cross the road,” said the deceased’s friend.
“Aliyev was taken to a hospital with severe injuries and underwent surgery immediately. He was transfused nearly 9 liters of blood. However, despite the efforts of doctors, it was not possible to save his life,” he said. “Despite this, the hospital requires $12,000 for the medial aid rendered to Aliyev. Moreover, nearly $7,000 is required for the delivery of the body to Azerbaijan.”
The deceased’s friend went on to say that the driver who caused the accident has already been arrested, and a criminal case has been initiated.
Consul of the Azerbaijani Embassy in Lebanon Shahin Panahov also commented on the issue.
Panahov told APA that Azerbaijani athlete Khazar Aliyev traveled to Beirut with a friend of him, and there is no accurate information about the purpose of their trip.
“On August 27 morning, Khazar Aliyev and his friend left one of the clubs in Beirut in a state of intoxication. One of them was struck by a car. The injured was hospitalized. He underwent surgery from about 6am to 11am. As informed in the hospital, he was transfused about 8 liters of blood. Now the hospital demands $12,000 for the surgery and refuses to hand over the body in case on non-payment”, he said.
The consul said that they met with the one who caused to the road accident and his relatives regarding the issue. “We agreed with the police that no complaint will be filed against them, but instead, the opposite side should bear the costs of the hospital and bringing the body to Azerbaijan. The police gave 48 hours to resolve this issue. The investigation is still underway. However, the opposite side demands that the mother of the deceased should send a power of attorney confirming that she will not complain, and only after that they will be ready to pay all costs. We contacted his mother who said that she would not send a power of attorney, but she would fly to Beirut and personally participate in the process. Currently, we are waiting for her to negotiate with the opposite side,” he added.
Related news releases
- 20.09.2017Court gives Akif Chovdarov time for final statement
- 19.09.2017Ten people suffer minor smoke inhalation after fire at warehouse of cosmetics factory in Baku
- 18.09.2017Akif Chovdarov's lawyer makes speech at trial
- 16.09.2017Tofig Zulfugarov: ‘I have been involved in the investigation on this traffic accident as a witness’
- 15.09.2017Human rights defenders issue statement on release of a group of persons
- 15.09.2017Son of Baku City Main Police Department spokesman arrested over fatal road accident
- 15.09.2017APFP chairman’s assistant released from prison
- 14.09.2017Another four people arrested over Nardaran events released
- 13.09.2017Alexander Lapshin’s mother arrives in Baku
- 12.09.2017Lapshin’s mother to arrive in Baku, blogger to be sent to Israel in coming days
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijani citizen killed in Tbilisi
- 11.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev pardons Alexander Lapshin
- 11.09.2017Azerbaijan detained 47 trespassers last month
- 11.09.2017Moldovan embassy car crashes in Baku
- 07.09.2017Another meeting held at headquarters set up to tackle forest fires in Azerbaijan’s Gabala
- 05.09.2017Forest fires in Azerbaijan’s Gabala fully brought under control
- 05.09.2017Fire in territory of Shahdag National Park extinguished
- 04.09.2017Meeting held at headquarters set up to tackle forest fire in Azerbaijan's Gabala
- 04.09.2017Forest fire in Azerbaijan’s Gabala brought under control
- 04.09.2017Efforts underway to extinguish forest fire in Azerbaijan’s Gabala
- 29.08.2017Azerbaijani police to tighten security during Eid al-Adha holidays
- 28.08.2017Azerbaijan’s firefighting and rescue forces return home from Georgia
- 28.08.2017Last victim of weapons storage fire in Azerbaijan discharged from hospital
- 28.08.2017Suspected terrorist eliminated in Azerbaijan
- 27.08.2017Fire at military unit of Defense Ministry localized and prevented from spreading
- 27.08.2017Special commission set up under Azerbaijani president's instructions to determine cause of fire at weapons storage
- 27.08.2017Immediate measures are being taken at the scene of the incident
- 27.08.2017Fire breaks out at weapons storage in Azerbaijan
- 26.08.2017Prime Minister of Georgia met with helicopter crew of the Ministry of Emergency Situations of Azerbaijan
- 25.08.2017Two killed as car hits pedestrians in Tovuz
- 25.08.2017Azerbaijani Ministry of Emergency Situations issues statement on fire-fighting ops in Georgia
- 25.08.2017Mehman Aliyev sentenced to 3-month pretrial detention - UPDATED
- 25.08.2017Azerbaijan’s firefighters extinguish fire in area of 4ha in Georgia
- 24.08.2017Azerbaijan’s firefighting team manage to extinguish fire in large area in Georgia
- 23.08.2017Interior Ministry, Prosecutor General’s Office issue statement on incident that killed three in Lerik
- 23.08.2017Azerbaijani firefighters continue to battle forest fires in Georgia
- 22.08.2017Azerbaijan sends additional fire-fighting vehicles and personnel to Georgia
- 22.08.2017Azerbaijan wraps up search and rescue operation for missing oilmen
- 22.08.2017Azerbaijan’s helicopter involved in efforts to tackle forest fires in Georgia - UPDATED
- 22.08.2017Three killed in house fire in Azerbaijan’s Lerik
- 31.08.2017Fire breaks out in forest in Azerbaijan’s Oghuz
- 31.08.2017Fire localized in Georgia’s Abastumani, Azerbaijan actively involved in ops
- 01.09.2017MENR chooses emergency mode as fires continue in Gabala
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijan’s helicopter joins operation to extinguish forest fires in Georgia
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijan again sends helicopter to help Georgia tackle forest fires
- 29.08.2017Trial of Azerbaijan MNS ex-officials continues