Consul: Mother of Azerbaijani athlete killed in road accident in Lebanon will fly to Beirut
Some details have emerged of the death of Azerbaijani athlete Khazar Aliyev in a road accident in Lebanon’s capital Beirut.
Athlete Khazar Aliyev visited Beirut to rest, the deceased’s friend told APA.
According to him, Khazar Aliyev had a rest in a club at night with his friend. “A dispute erupted between them and a taxi driver when they were returning home in the morning. The driver dropped them off the taxi on the bridge with a permitted speed of 130-140 km/hour. Khazar Aliyev was hit by a car at the time when he got out of the car and was about to cross the road,” said the deceased’s friend.
“Aliyev was taken to a hospital with severe injuries and underwent surgery immediately. He was transfused nearly 9 liters of blood. However, despite the efforts of doctors, it was not possible to save his life,” he said. “Despite this, the hospital requires $12,000 for the medial aid rendered to Aliyev. Moreover, nearly $7,000 is required for the delivery of the body to Azerbaijan.”
The deceased’s friend went on to say that the driver who caused the accident has already been arrested, and a criminal case has been initiated.
Consul of the Azerbaijani Embassy in Lebanon Shahin Panahov also commented on the issue.
Panahov told APA that Azerbaijani athlete Khazar Aliyev traveled to Beirut with a friend of him, and there is no accurate information about the purpose of their trip.
“On August 27 morning, Khazar Aliyev and his friend left one of the clubs in Beirut in a state of intoxication. One of them was struck by a car. The injured was hospitalized. He underwent surgery from about 6am to 11am. As informed in the hospital, he was transfused about 8 liters of blood. Now the hospital demands $12,000 for the surgery and refuses to hand over the body in case on non-payment”, he said.
The consul said that they met with the one who caused to the road accident and his relatives regarding the issue. “We agreed with the police that no complaint will be filed against them, but instead, the opposite side should bear the costs of the hospital and bringing the body to Azerbaijan. The police gave 48 hours to resolve this issue. The investigation is still underway. However, the opposite side demands that the mother of the deceased should send a power of attorney confirming that she will not complain, and only after that they will be ready to pay all costs. We contacted his mother who said that she would not send a power of attorney, but she would fly to Beirut and personally participate in the process. Currently, we are waiting for her to negotiate with the opposite side,” he added.
Related news releases
- 20.11.2017Astara man commits suicide
- 20.11.2017Baku city prosecutor’s office issues statement on Lokbatan plant explosion
- 20.11.2017Another quake jolts Azerbaijan
- 20.11.2017Azerbaijani, who drowned in river while saving two children in Russia, awarded posthumously
- 20.11.2017One dead after explosion at plant in Baku
- 18.11.2017Quake jolts Azerbaijan’s south
- 17.11.2017Landslide in Baku, worker trapped under mud rescued - UPDATED
- 16.11.2017Preliminary information on earthquake reveals no casualty - UPDATED
- 16.11.2017Magnitude 6 earthquake hits Azerbaijani regions - UPDATED
- 15.11.2017General Prosecutor's Office: Stones were thrown at a bus in Sumgayit
- 14.11.2017Azerbaijani citizen murders his fellow countryman in Moscow, confirm law enforcement
- 13.11.2017Two embassy cars collide in Baku
- 13.11.2017Prosecutor seeks 15-year jail sentence for ex-official of MNS
- 13.11.2017Kidnappers detained in Azerbaijan
- 11.11.2017Armenian-made landmine found in Aghdam
- 11.11.2017Man who left his sister with Iranian drug dealers as pledge gets arrested attempting to enter Azerbaijan with a large amount of narcotics
- 11.11.2017Two fishermen go missing in Caspian
- 11.11.2017MES: During fire in residential building 15 rescued and 20 evacuated
- 10.11.2017Fire breaks out in apartment building in Baku
- 10.11.2017Azerbaijan’s former national security minister Eldar Mahmudov questioned again
- 10.11.2017Fire in Baku business center extinguished - UPDATED
- 07.11.2017Police raid car showrooms owned by Azerbaijanis in Moscow
- 07.11.2017Vugar Mahmudov fails to file appeal against court decision
- 04.11.2017Azerbaijani citizen suspected of treason detained
- 02.11.2017Two Azerbaijanis who killed a man suspected of involvement in Rovshan Lankaransky’s murder detained Russia
- 02.11.2017Azerbaijani General Prosecutor’s Office, Interior Ministry release joint statement on special op to catch second escaped convict
- 02.11.2017Criminal case against Turan News Agency and Mehman Aliyev terminated
- 01.11.2017Recent prisoner escape discussed at Azerbaijani Justice Ministry’s collegium meeting
- 31.10.2017Employees of Azerbaijani Penitentiary Service arrested over prisoner escape face additional charge
- 30.10.2017Akif Chovdarov and others' property worth AZN 33M to be confiscated
- 30.10.2017Court to send appeal to Azerbaijani president to strip Akif Chovdarov of general rank
- 30.10.2017Ex-official of Azerbaijan’s national security ministry jailed for 12 years - UPDATED
- 30.10.2017Azerbaijani singer arrested for helping prisoners escape
- 30.10.2017Interpol-wanted Azerbaijani citizen detained in Georgia
- 27.10.2017Baku City Prosecutor’s Office initiates criminal case over sale of prohibited medicines in unlicensed pharmacy
- 27.10.2017Azerbaijan's State Security Service: Four more people detained in anti-terror operation
- 26.10.2017Azerbaijan Penitentiary Service: One of escapees captured
- 26.10.2017Ammo found in apartment of people who planned terrorist attack during rally in Baku
- 25.10.2017Group of persons planning terrorist attack at rally liquidated
- 25.10.2017Azerbaijan’s State Security Service seizes over $71,000 from currency smugglers
- 31.08.2017Fire breaks out in forest in Azerbaijan’s Oghuz
- 31.08.2017Fire localized in Georgia’s Abastumani, Azerbaijan actively involved in ops
- 01.09.2017MENR chooses emergency mode as fires continue in Gabala
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijan’s helicopter joins operation to extinguish forest fires in Georgia
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijan again sends helicopter to help Georgia tackle forest fires
- 29.08.2017Trial of Azerbaijan MNS ex-officials continues