Consul: Mother of Azerbaijani athlete killed in road accident in Lebanon will fly to Beirut
Some details have emerged of the death of Azerbaijani athlete Khazar Aliyev in a road accident in Lebanon’s capital Beirut.
Athlete Khazar Aliyev visited Beirut to rest, the deceased’s friend told APA.
According to him, Khazar Aliyev had a rest in a club at night with his friend. “A dispute erupted between them and a taxi driver when they were returning home in the morning. The driver dropped them off the taxi on the bridge with a permitted speed of 130-140 km/hour. Khazar Aliyev was hit by a car at the time when he got out of the car and was about to cross the road,” said the deceased’s friend.
“Aliyev was taken to a hospital with severe injuries and underwent surgery immediately. He was transfused nearly 9 liters of blood. However, despite the efforts of doctors, it was not possible to save his life,” he said. “Despite this, the hospital requires $12,000 for the medial aid rendered to Aliyev. Moreover, nearly $7,000 is required for the delivery of the body to Azerbaijan.”
The deceased’s friend went on to say that the driver who caused the accident has already been arrested, and a criminal case has been initiated.
Consul of the Azerbaijani Embassy in Lebanon Shahin Panahov also commented on the issue.
Panahov told APA that Azerbaijani athlete Khazar Aliyev traveled to Beirut with a friend of him, and there is no accurate information about the purpose of their trip.
“On August 27 morning, Khazar Aliyev and his friend left one of the clubs in Beirut in a state of intoxication. One of them was struck by a car. The injured was hospitalized. He underwent surgery from about 6am to 11am. As informed in the hospital, he was transfused about 8 liters of blood. Now the hospital demands $12,000 for the surgery and refuses to hand over the body in case on non-payment”, he said.
The consul said that they met with the one who caused to the road accident and his relatives regarding the issue. “We agreed with the police that no complaint will be filed against them, but instead, the opposite side should bear the costs of the hospital and bringing the body to Azerbaijan. The police gave 48 hours to resolve this issue. The investigation is still underway. However, the opposite side demands that the mother of the deceased should send a power of attorney confirming that she will not complain, and only after that they will be ready to pay all costs. We contacted his mother who said that she would not send a power of attorney, but she would fly to Beirut and personally participate in the process. Currently, we are waiting for her to negotiate with the opposite side,” he added.
Related news releases
- 22.02.2018Supreme Court commences hearing on appeal of Taleh Baghirov and others
- 22.02.2018Investigator: Eduard Grigoryan, arrested for Sumgayit events, handed over to Armenia in 1991
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan: USSR Prosecutor General's Office did not investigate Sumgayit events objectively
- 22.02.2018Sumgayit events masterminded by Armenians and foreign special services, investigator says
- 22.02.2018Azerbaijan: Investigation proves Sumgayit events committed by Armenian separatist forces
- 21.02.2018Search for missing mountaineers in Azerbaijan’s Guba continues
- 21.02.2018Baku Prosecutor’s Office initiates criminal case after landslide on Bayil slope
- 21.02.2018Court denies appeal filed by Giyas Ibraimov and his father
- 20.02.2018One of Azerbaijanis injured in Russia apartment fire dies
- 20.02.2018Azerbaijan detains Uzbek, Kyrgyz citizens for attempting to illegally cross border with Iran
- 19.02.2018Turkish, Azerbaijani women sentenced to life in prison for collaborating with ISIL
- 19.02.2018Fire breaks out in former Azerbaijani transport minister’s house
- 19.02.2018Chairman of the State Committee for City Building and Architecture of Azerbaijan dies
- 17.02.2018Man detained for pretending to be Security Service official
- 17.02.2018Suspect in murder of woman whose body was found chopped into pieces in Baku detained
- 16.02.2018Female body found chopped into pieces in Baku
- 14.02.2018Two people detained in Baku for making counterfeit money
- 13.02.2018Three detained in Baku for attempted mercury sale
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijanis killed in apartment fire in Russia identified - UPDATED
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani State Migration Service, Prosecutor General’s Office release statement on detention of illegal migrants
- 12.02.2018Judicial investigation into case of Azerbaijan’s former security officials completed
- 12.02.2018Another Azerbaijani killed in Syria
- 09.02.2018Criminal gang leader declared wanted by Azerbaijan 20 years ago detained in Moscow
- 09.02.2018Illegal migrants detained in Azerbaijan
- 07.02.2018Violations revealed in work of 24 municipalities in Azerbaijan last year
- 06.02.2018Azerbaijani declared internationally wanted by Russia killed in Mosul
- 03.02.2018Five poisoned by smoke in fire at residential building in Baku
- 01.02.2018Russia puts Azerbaijani on Interpol wanted list on charges of joining illegal armed groups
- 01.02.2018Baku woman steals $58,000 from her own home
- 31.01.2018UXOs found in Goranboy
- 30.01.2018Azerbaijan detains Uzbek citizens over attempt to illegally cross border with Iran
- 29.01.20183 Arabs detained in Azerbaijan for illegal hunting
- 29.01.2018Above 300 Azerbaijanis reportedly killed in battles in Syria, Iraq – State Committee
- 27.01.2018Zakir Garalov: Prosecuting authorities are successfully fulfilling president’s task on humanization of punishment policy
- 27.01.2018Zakir Garalov: 418 unsolved crimes have been solved
- 27.01.2018Azerbaijani MES issues statement on fire outbreak incident in Baku
- 26.01.2018ANAMA finds 20 UXOs in Aghstafa
- 26.01.2018Georgia initiates criminal prosecution against Azerbaijani transplant surgeon
- 26.01.2018Baku police kill man who showed armed resistance
- 25.01.2018Azerbaijani MES reveals number of emergency situations in 2017
- 31.08.2017Fire breaks out in forest in Azerbaijan’s Oghuz
- 31.08.2017Fire localized in Georgia’s Abastumani, Azerbaijan actively involved in ops
- 01.09.2017MENR chooses emergency mode as fires continue in Gabala
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijan’s helicopter joins operation to extinguish forest fires in Georgia
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijan again sends helicopter to help Georgia tackle forest fires
- 29.08.2017Trial of Azerbaijan MNS ex-officials continues