Consul: Mother of Azerbaijani athlete killed in road accident in Lebanon will fly to Beirut
Some details have emerged of the death of Azerbaijani athlete Khazar Aliyev in a road accident in Lebanon’s capital Beirut.
Athlete Khazar Aliyev visited Beirut to rest, the deceased’s friend told APA.
According to him, Khazar Aliyev had a rest in a club at night with his friend. “A dispute erupted between them and a taxi driver when they were returning home in the morning. The driver dropped them off the taxi on the bridge with a permitted speed of 130-140 km/hour. Khazar Aliyev was hit by a car at the time when he got out of the car and was about to cross the road,” said the deceased’s friend.
“Aliyev was taken to a hospital with severe injuries and underwent surgery immediately. He was transfused nearly 9 liters of blood. However, despite the efforts of doctors, it was not possible to save his life,” he said. “Despite this, the hospital requires $12,000 for the medial aid rendered to Aliyev. Moreover, nearly $7,000 is required for the delivery of the body to Azerbaijan.”
The deceased’s friend went on to say that the driver who caused the accident has already been arrested, and a criminal case has been initiated.
Consul of the Azerbaijani Embassy in Lebanon Shahin Panahov also commented on the issue.
Panahov told APA that Azerbaijani athlete Khazar Aliyev traveled to Beirut with a friend of him, and there is no accurate information about the purpose of their trip.
“On August 27 morning, Khazar Aliyev and his friend left one of the clubs in Beirut in a state of intoxication. One of them was struck by a car. The injured was hospitalized. He underwent surgery from about 6am to 11am. As informed in the hospital, he was transfused about 8 liters of blood. Now the hospital demands $12,000 for the surgery and refuses to hand over the body in case on non-payment”, he said.
The consul said that they met with the one who caused to the road accident and his relatives regarding the issue. “We agreed with the police that no complaint will be filed against them, but instead, the opposite side should bear the costs of the hospital and bringing the body to Azerbaijan. The police gave 48 hours to resolve this issue. The investigation is still underway. However, the opposite side demands that the mother of the deceased should send a power of attorney confirming that she will not complain, and only after that they will be ready to pay all costs. We contacted his mother who said that she would not send a power of attorney, but she would fly to Beirut and personally participate in the process. Currently, we are waiting for her to negotiate with the opposite side,” he added.
Related news releases
- 20.06.2018Body of missing Azerbaijani student found in Lake Albona in Italy - UPDATED
- 20.06.2018Rockets found in Shirvan National Park
- 19.06.2018MES releases statement on fire at restaurant in Baku - UPDATED
- 19.06.2018MES releases statement on fire at building material store in Baku - UPDATED
- 19.06.2018MENR conducting monitoring and investigation at fire scene
- 18.06.2018Georgia police detain affiliates of Azerbaijani mafia boss
- 15.06.2018Gazakh resident receives bullet wound in unknown circumstances
- 14.06.2018Daycare worker accused of child maltreatment jailed for 3 months
- 14.06.201856 passports found in water channel in Azerbaijan’s Imishli
- 14.06.2018Police officer who fled scene after fatal crash in Baku arrested
- 13.06.2018Large quantity of ammo seized in ops at Azerbaijan-Russia border
- 13.06.2018Delegation of Nizami Ganjavi International Center meets Israeli Knesset speaker
- 12.06.2018Bridges, roads destroyed after heavy rains in Azerbaijan’s northwest
- 11.06.2018Azerbaijani court orders extradition of Iranian national
- 08.06.2018Imprisoned lawyer Emin Aslan refutes media reports
- 08.06.2018$70,000 burgled from apartment in Baku
- 07.06.2018ICRC representatives meet with Dilgam Asgarov and Shahbaz Guliyev
- 07.06.2018MFA: Search underway for missing Azerbaijani student in Italy’s Lake Albano
- 06.06.2018Ombudsman’s Office releases information about Emin Aslanov
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijan initiates criminal case over collapse of bridge over Goychay River
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijani court decides man wanted my Germany be extradited to Turkey
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijani emergency situations minister examines quake-affected houses in Zagatala
- 06.06.2018Azerbaijani emergency situations minister arrives in quake-hit Zagatala district - UPDATED
- 06.06.2018Zagatala earthquake: Tremors lasted for half a minute
- 06.06.2018Ramin Hajili, banned from leaving Azerbaijan due to his debts, detained at border with Georgia
- 05.06.2018Lawyer Emin Aslan gets 30 days in jail
- 05.06.2018Azerbaijan’s law enforcement officers eliminate armed trespasser
- 02.06.2018Traffic accident kills 1 and injures 11 in Jalilabad
- 01.06.2018Firefighters extinguish fire at State Social Protection Fund building - UPDATED
- 01.06.20184 foreigners prevented from violating Azerbaijani state border
- 31.05.2018Judge of Baku Appellate Court passes away
- 31.05.2018Azerbaijan detains 3 foreigners with fake documents
- 30.05.2018Details emerge of murder of teacher reported missing in Azerbaijan's Shirvan - UPDATED
- 30.05.2018Azerbaijan detains six foreigners for border trespassing attempt
- 29.05.2018Female teacher reported missing in Azerbaijan’s Shirvan city killed
- 29.05.2018Azerbaijani security service official gets arrested - UPDATED
- 29.05.2018Female member of gang who stole a great deal of money and jewelry from house in Baku arrested
- 29.05.2018Baku Appellate Court rejects Akif Chovdarov's appeal
- 26.05.2018$412,000 financial fraud exposed in APFP - OFFICIAL STATEMENT
- 25.05.2018Azerbaijan completes execution of presidential order on pardon
- 31.08.2017Fire breaks out in forest in Azerbaijan’s Oghuz
- 31.08.2017Fire localized in Georgia’s Abastumani, Azerbaijan actively involved in ops
- 01.09.2017MENR chooses emergency mode as fires continue in Gabala
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijan’s helicopter joins operation to extinguish forest fires in Georgia
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijan again sends helicopter to help Georgia tackle forest fires
- 29.08.2017Trial of Azerbaijan MNS ex-officials continues