Company director gets 8 years over deadly high-rise fire in Baku
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Friday resumed the trial of those accused in the criminal case initiated over the deadly fire in a high-rise that left 15 people dead and 50 other wounded in Azerbaijan’s capital in 2015.
Judge Afghan Hajiyev has pronounced the verdict concerning Miryusif Mahmudov, founder of Global Stone LLC and Global Construction LLC. Mahmudov has been deprived of holding a position in leadership for three years and sentenced to eight years in prison, APA reported.
The other defendants—Ughur Bashirov, Gazanfar Novruzov, Adalat Rajabov, and Nizami Orujov—have been sentenced to five, four, four, and three and a half years in prison respectively.
The court imposed a conditional penalty for Aghajavad Mammadov and Akif Alibayov.
The prosecutor had sought ten years for Miryusif Mahmudov, seven years for Alakbar Asgarov, eight years for Ughur Bashirov, seven years for Gazanfar Novruzov, seven years for Adalat Rajabov, five years for Nizami Orujov, five years for Aghajavad Mammadov, and five years for Akif Alibeyov.
Due to the existence of sufficient suspicions of damaging the rights and legally protected interests of citizens and state as a result of not using authorities through duties assigned its observance, Miryusif Mahmudov, founder of Global Stone LLC and Global Construction LLC, Ugur Bashirov, General Manager of Global Stone LLC, which produced polyurethane for facing buildings, Deputy Chairman of Global Construction LLC Alakbar Asgarov, head of the economic department of Binagadi district executive power and former head of housing and communal services of Binagadi district in 2012-2013, Adalat Rajabov, head of Binagadi district housing and public utility Nizami Orujov were sentenced to 4-month imprisonment under articles #225.2 (infringement of fire safety rules which on imprudence brought to death of a victim or other heavy consequences) and #308.2 (abusing official powers entailed heavy consequences) of the Criminal Code. They were sentenced to four months in prison. Their prison term has been extended several times.
Chief of Testing Laboratory of 'Dernegul Boru Zavodu' Closed Joint Stock Company Mammadov Aghajavad, Director General of the Center for Hygiene and Epidemiology of the Ministry of Health Alibayov Akif were also involved in the criminal case, but they were not sentenced to pre-trial detention.
Related news releases
- 17.02.2018Man detained for pretending to be Security Service official
- 17.02.2018Suspect in murder of woman whose body was found chopped into pieces in Baku detained
- 16.02.2018Female body found chopped into pieces in Baku
- 14.02.2018Two people detained in Baku for making counterfeit money
- 13.02.2018Three detained in Baku for attempted mercury sale
- 13.02.2018Azerbaijanis killed in apartment fire in Russia identified - UPDATED
- 12.02.2018Azerbaijani State Migration Service, Prosecutor General’s Office release statement on detention of illegal migrants
- 12.02.2018Judicial investigation into case of Azerbaijan’s former security officials completed
- 12.02.2018Another Azerbaijani killed in Syria
- 09.02.2018Criminal gang leader declared wanted by Azerbaijan 20 years ago detained in Moscow
- 09.02.2018Illegal migrants detained in Azerbaijan
- 07.02.2018Violations revealed in work of 24 municipalities in Azerbaijan last year
- 06.02.2018Azerbaijani declared internationally wanted by Russia killed in Mosul
- 03.02.2018Five poisoned by smoke in fire at residential building in Baku
- 01.02.2018Russia puts Azerbaijani on Interpol wanted list on charges of joining illegal armed groups
- 01.02.2018Baku woman steals $58,000 from her own home
- 31.01.2018UXOs found in Goranboy
- 30.01.2018Azerbaijan detains Uzbek citizens over attempt to illegally cross border with Iran
- 29.01.20183 Arabs detained in Azerbaijan for illegal hunting
- 29.01.2018Above 300 Azerbaijanis reportedly killed in battles in Syria, Iraq – State Committee
- 27.01.2018Zakir Garalov: Prosecuting authorities are successfully fulfilling president’s task on humanization of punishment policy
- 27.01.2018Zakir Garalov: 418 unsolved crimes have been solved
- 27.01.2018Azerbaijani MES issues statement on fire outbreak incident in Baku
- 26.01.2018ANAMA finds 20 UXOs in Aghstafa
- 26.01.2018Georgia initiates criminal prosecution against Azerbaijani transplant surgeon
- 26.01.2018Baku police kill man who showed armed resistance
- 25.01.2018Azerbaijani MES reveals number of emergency situations in 2017
- 25.01.2018Names of Azerbaijanis aboard missing vessel in Sea of Japan revealed - UPDATED
- 25.01.2018Turkish businessman’s house robbed in Baku
- 24.01.2018Five dismissed from prosecuting authorities in Baku
- 24.01.2018Azerbaijani MES to hold firefighting training
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijan detains Pakistani, Indian nationals accused of organizing illegal migration channel
- 22.01.2018Search for missing mountaineers in Azerbaijan continues
- 22.01.2018Azerbaijani State Security Service exposes big network engaged in currency smuggling
- 20.01.2018Armenian military fires at Azerbaijani border village
- 18.01.2018Nearly 93% of murders in Baku solved – police chief
- 17.01.2018Pistol found in Baku cemetery
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan concludes investigation of 214 criminal cases against 305 officials in 2017
- 17.01.2018Azerbaijan Anti-Corruption Department names most corrupted spheres
- 17.01.2018Russian scientist returns home after detention in Azerbaijan
- 27.01.2017Donald Trump ready to lift anti-Russian sanctions
- 27.01.2017Over 1,000 criminal groups detained in Azerbaijan last year
- 27.01.2017Over 930 kg of drugs seized in Azerbaijan last year
- 26.01.2017Psychotherapist Dayanat Rzayev commits suicide - UPDATED
- 25.01.2017Taleh Baghirov sentenced to 20 years in prison
- 25.01.2017Azerbaijani border guards prevent drug smuggling