Company director gets 8 years over deadly high-rise fire in Baku
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Friday resumed the trial of those accused in the criminal case initiated over the deadly fire in a high-rise that left 15 people dead and 50 other wounded in Azerbaijan’s capital in 2015.
Judge Afghan Hajiyev has pronounced the verdict concerning Miryusif Mahmudov, founder of Global Stone LLC and Global Construction LLC. Mahmudov has been deprived of holding a position in leadership for three years and sentenced to eight years in prison, APA reported.
The other defendants—Ughur Bashirov, Gazanfar Novruzov, Adalat Rajabov, and Nizami Orujov—have been sentenced to five, four, four, and three and a half years in prison respectively.
The court imposed a conditional penalty for Aghajavad Mammadov and Akif Alibayov.
The prosecutor had sought ten years for Miryusif Mahmudov, seven years for Alakbar Asgarov, eight years for Ughur Bashirov, seven years for Gazanfar Novruzov, seven years for Adalat Rajabov, five years for Nizami Orujov, five years for Aghajavad Mammadov, and five years for Akif Alibeyov.
Due to the existence of sufficient suspicions of damaging the rights and legally protected interests of citizens and state as a result of not using authorities through duties assigned its observance, Miryusif Mahmudov, founder of Global Stone LLC and Global Construction LLC, Ugur Bashirov, General Manager of Global Stone LLC, which produced polyurethane for facing buildings, Deputy Chairman of Global Construction LLC Alakbar Asgarov, head of the economic department of Binagadi district executive power and former head of housing and communal services of Binagadi district in 2012-2013, Adalat Rajabov, head of Binagadi district housing and public utility Nizami Orujov were sentenced to 4-month imprisonment under articles #225.2 (infringement of fire safety rules which on imprudence brought to death of a victim or other heavy consequences) and #308.2 (abusing official powers entailed heavy consequences) of the Criminal Code. They were sentenced to four months in prison. Their prison term has been extended several times.
Chief of Testing Laboratory of 'Dernegul Boru Zavodu' Closed Joint Stock Company Mammadov Aghajavad, Director General of the Center for Hygiene and Epidemiology of the Ministry of Health Alibayov Akif were also involved in the criminal case, but they were not sentenced to pre-trial detention.
Related news releases
- 20.09.2017Court gives Akif Chovdarov time for final statement
- 19.09.2017Ten people suffer minor smoke inhalation after fire at warehouse of cosmetics factory in Baku
- 18.09.2017Akif Chovdarov's lawyer makes speech at trial
- 16.09.2017Tofig Zulfugarov: ‘I have been involved in the investigation on this traffic accident as a witness’
- 15.09.2017Human rights defenders issue statement on release of a group of persons
- 15.09.2017Son of Baku City Main Police Department spokesman arrested over fatal road accident
- 15.09.2017APFP chairman’s assistant released from prison
- 14.09.2017Another four people arrested over Nardaran events released
- 13.09.2017Alexander Lapshin’s mother arrives in Baku
- 12.09.2017Lapshin’s mother to arrive in Baku, blogger to be sent to Israel in coming days
- 12.09.2017Azerbaijani citizen killed in Tbilisi
- 11.09.2017President Ilham Aliyev pardons Alexander Lapshin
- 11.09.2017Azerbaijan detained 47 trespassers last month
- 11.09.2017Moldovan embassy car crashes in Baku
- 07.09.2017Another meeting held at headquarters set up to tackle forest fires in Azerbaijan’s Gabala
- 05.09.2017Forest fires in Azerbaijan’s Gabala fully brought under control
- 05.09.2017Fire in territory of Shahdag National Park extinguished
- 04.09.2017Meeting held at headquarters set up to tackle forest fire in Azerbaijan's Gabala
- 04.09.2017Forest fire in Azerbaijan’s Gabala brought under control
- 04.09.2017Efforts underway to extinguish forest fire in Azerbaijan’s Gabala
- 01.09.2017MENR chooses emergency mode as fires continue in Gabala
- 31.08.2017Fire localized in Georgia’s Abastumani, Azerbaijan actively involved in ops
- 31.08.2017Fire breaks out in forest in Azerbaijan’s Oghuz
- 31.08.2017Consul: Mother of Azerbaijani athlete killed in road accident in Lebanon will fly to Beirut
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijan’s helicopter joins operation to extinguish forest fires in Georgia
- 30.08.2017Azerbaijan again sends helicopter to help Georgia tackle forest fires
- 29.08.2017Trial of Azerbaijan MNS ex-officials continues
- 29.08.2017Azerbaijani police to tighten security during Eid al-Adha holidays
- 28.08.2017Azerbaijan’s firefighting and rescue forces return home from Georgia
- 28.08.2017Last victim of weapons storage fire in Azerbaijan discharged from hospital
- 28.08.2017Suspected terrorist eliminated in Azerbaijan
- 27.08.2017Fire at military unit of Defense Ministry localized and prevented from spreading
- 27.08.2017Special commission set up under Azerbaijani president's instructions to determine cause of fire at weapons storage
- 27.08.2017Immediate measures are being taken at the scene of the incident
- 27.08.2017Fire breaks out at weapons storage in Azerbaijan
- 26.08.2017Prime Minister of Georgia met with helicopter crew of the Ministry of Emergency Situations of Azerbaijan
- 25.08.2017Two killed as car hits pedestrians in Tovuz
- 25.08.2017Azerbaijani Ministry of Emergency Situations issues statement on fire-fighting ops in Georgia
- 25.08.2017Mehman Aliyev sentenced to 3-month pretrial detention - UPDATED
- 25.08.2017Azerbaijan’s firefighters extinguish fire in area of 4ha in Georgia
- 27.01.2017Donald Trump ready to lift anti-Russian sanctions
- 27.01.2017Over 1,000 criminal groups detained in Azerbaijan last year
- 27.01.2017Over 930 kg of drugs seized in Azerbaijan last year
- 26.01.2017Psychotherapist Dayanat Rzayev commits suicide - UPDATED
- 25.01.2017Taleh Baghirov sentenced to 20 years in prison
- 25.01.2017Azerbaijani border guards prevent drug smuggling