Company director gets 8 years over deadly high-rise fire in Baku
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Friday resumed the trial of those accused in the criminal case initiated over the deadly fire in a high-rise that left 15 people dead and 50 other wounded in Azerbaijan’s capital in 2015.
Judge Afghan Hajiyev has pronounced the verdict concerning Miryusif Mahmudov, founder of Global Stone LLC and Global Construction LLC. Mahmudov has been deprived of holding a position in leadership for three years and sentenced to eight years in prison, APA reported.
The other defendants—Ughur Bashirov, Gazanfar Novruzov, Adalat Rajabov, and Nizami Orujov—have been sentenced to five, four, four, and three and a half years in prison respectively.
The court imposed a conditional penalty for Aghajavad Mammadov and Akif Alibayov.
The prosecutor had sought ten years for Miryusif Mahmudov, seven years for Alakbar Asgarov, eight years for Ughur Bashirov, seven years for Gazanfar Novruzov, seven years for Adalat Rajabov, five years for Nizami Orujov, five years for Aghajavad Mammadov, and five years for Akif Alibeyov.
Due to the existence of sufficient suspicions of damaging the rights and legally protected interests of citizens and state as a result of not using authorities through duties assigned its observance, Miryusif Mahmudov, founder of Global Stone LLC and Global Construction LLC, Ugur Bashirov, General Manager of Global Stone LLC, which produced polyurethane for facing buildings, Deputy Chairman of Global Construction LLC Alakbar Asgarov, head of the economic department of Binagadi district executive power and former head of housing and communal services of Binagadi district in 2012-2013, Adalat Rajabov, head of Binagadi district housing and public utility Nizami Orujov were sentenced to 4-month imprisonment under articles #225.2 (infringement of fire safety rules which on imprudence brought to death of a victim or other heavy consequences) and #308.2 (abusing official powers entailed heavy consequences) of the Criminal Code. They were sentenced to four months in prison. Their prison term has been extended several times.
Chief of Testing Laboratory of 'Dernegul Boru Zavodu' Closed Joint Stock Company Mammadov Aghajavad, Director General of the Center for Hygiene and Epidemiology of the Ministry of Health Alibayov Akif were also involved in the criminal case, but they were not sentenced to pre-trial detention.
Related news releases
- 28.03.2017Business partner of former Azerbaijani minister’s son on Interpol wanted list
- 27.03.2017Azerbaijan’s Interior Ministry comments on death of detainee at police department - UPDATED
- 24.03.2017Alexander Lapshin meets mother
- 24.03.201710 died, 39 injured in traffic accidents in Azerbaijan during holidays
- 23.03.2017Two detained in Baku on suspicion of hooligan acts against Iranian citizen
- 23.03.2017Azerbaijani man commits suicide after murdering mother
- 22.03.2017Road accident in Barda claims lives of two, other four injured
- 22.03.2017Body found in Caspian Sea identified: Headquarters
- 22.03.2017Azerbaijani citizen wanted by Interpol for serious crime detained
- 17.03.2017Azerbaijani State Security Service prevents illegal distribution of ecstasy
- 16.03.2017Azerbaijani man, sentenced to life in 2007, gets sentence reduced
- 15.03.2017Metro station "28 May" is open to passengers after smoke prevented
- 15.03.2017Body recovered from Caspian Sea identified as missing Azerbaijani oilman - UPDATED
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijan initiates criminal case over death of five people from carbon monoxide poisoning
- 15.03.2017College director: Death of two of our students is a big tragedy
- 15.03.2017Victims identified in fatal carbon monoxide poisoning in Azerbaijan - UPDATED
- 15.03.2017Azerbaijani police to tighten security for Novruz celebrations
- 14.03.2017Three detained over murder of Azerbaijani poet’s son
- 14.03.2017Georgian police detain Azerbaijani citizen over keeping firearms
- 13.03.2017Another male corpse found in Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea
- 13.03.2017Former Azerbaijani police officer dies in prison
- 10.03.2017Grenade blasts in teahouse in Ismayilli, two injured
- 10.03.2017State Security Service eliminates firearm smugglers
- 10.03.2017Boat overturns in Caspian Sea, fishermen rescued by helicopter - UPDATED
- 10.03.2017Azerbaijan detains three for attempting to smuggle large quantities of dollars and gold bullions
- 10.03.20177 killed, 24 injured in Azerbaijan road accidents in one day
- 09.03.2017Criminal case initiated over fatal road accident in Baku
- 09.03.2017Azerbaijan detained 37 trespassers in February
- 09.03.2017Five killed in Baku minibus crash identified - UPDATED-3
- 04.03.2017Lapshin allowed to telephone his relatives
- 04.03.2017One more corpse found in Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea
- 03.03.2017Blogger Mehman Huseynov arrested in courtroom
- 02.03.2017Body recovered from Caspian Sea identified as missing Azerbaijani oilman
- 28.02.2017Dead body found in Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea
- 28.02.2017Earthquake hits Armenia, tremors also felt in Azerbaijan
- 27.02.2017Akif Chovdrov’s trial continues Monday - UPDATED
- 27.02.2017Azerbaijan arrests narcological dispensary chief physician on bribery charges
- 27.02.2017Azerbaijan imposed AZN 85.4 mln fine for violation of traffic rules last year
- 27.02.2017Azerbaijan punishes 330 police officers for offences
- 25.02.2017Police search for Ujar resident appropriating money of citizens for making fake visas
- 27.01.2017Donald Trump ready to lift anti-Russian sanctions
- 27.01.2017Over 1,000 criminal groups detained in Azerbaijan last year
- 27.01.2017Over 930 kg of drugs seized in Azerbaijan last year
- 26.01.2017Psychotherapist Dayanat Rzayev commits suicide - UPDATED
- 25.01.2017Taleh Baghirov sentenced to 20 years in prison
- 25.01.2017Azerbaijani border guards prevent drug smuggling