Company director gets 8 years over deadly high-rise fire in Baku
The Baku Court of Grave Crimes on Friday resumed the trial of those accused in the criminal case initiated over the deadly fire in a high-rise that left 15 people dead and 50 other wounded in Azerbaijan’s capital in 2015.
Judge Afghan Hajiyev has pronounced the verdict concerning Miryusif Mahmudov, founder of Global Stone LLC and Global Construction LLC. Mahmudov has been deprived of holding a position in leadership for three years and sentenced to eight years in prison, APA reported.
The other defendants—Ughur Bashirov, Gazanfar Novruzov, Adalat Rajabov, and Nizami Orujov—have been sentenced to five, four, four, and three and a half years in prison respectively.
The court imposed a conditional penalty for Aghajavad Mammadov and Akif Alibayov.
The prosecutor had sought ten years for Miryusif Mahmudov, seven years for Alakbar Asgarov, eight years for Ughur Bashirov, seven years for Gazanfar Novruzov, seven years for Adalat Rajabov, five years for Nizami Orujov, five years for Aghajavad Mammadov, and five years for Akif Alibeyov.
Due to the existence of sufficient suspicions of damaging the rights and legally protected interests of citizens and state as a result of not using authorities through duties assigned its observance, Miryusif Mahmudov, founder of Global Stone LLC and Global Construction LLC, Ugur Bashirov, General Manager of Global Stone LLC, which produced polyurethane for facing buildings, Deputy Chairman of Global Construction LLC Alakbar Asgarov, head of the economic department of Binagadi district executive power and former head of housing and communal services of Binagadi district in 2012-2013, Adalat Rajabov, head of Binagadi district housing and public utility Nizami Orujov were sentenced to 4-month imprisonment under articles #225.2 (infringement of fire safety rules which on imprudence brought to death of a victim or other heavy consequences) and #308.2 (abusing official powers entailed heavy consequences) of the Criminal Code. They were sentenced to four months in prison. Their prison term has been extended several times.
Chief of Testing Laboratory of 'Dernegul Boru Zavodu' Closed Joint Stock Company Mammadov Aghajavad, Director General of the Center for Hygiene and Epidemiology of the Ministry of Health Alibayov Akif were also involved in the criminal case, but they were not sentenced to pre-trial detention.
Related news releases
- 28.02.2017Dead body found in Azerbaijani sector of Caspian Sea
- 28.02.2017Earthquake hits Armenia, tremors also felt in Azerbaijan
- 27.02.2017Akif Chovdrov’s trial continues Monday - UPDATED
- 27.02.2017Azerbaijan arrests narcological dispensary chief physician on bribery charges
- 27.02.2017Azerbaijan imposed AZN 85.4 mln fine for violation of traffic rules last year
- 27.02.2017Azerbaijan punishes 330 police officers for offences
- 25.02.2017Police search for Ujar resident appropriating money of citizens for making fake visas
- 24.02.2017Two Azerbaijani citizens detained on charges of spying for foreign country
- 24.02.2017Police detain suspect in murder of two sisters in Azerbaijan’s Ganja
- 24.02.2017Alexander Lapshin meets new lawyer
- 23.02.2017Azerbaijani diaspora leader arrested in Russia
- 23.02.2017Family members killed in avalanche accident in Azerbaijan identified - UPDATED
- 22.02.2017Russian court pronounces verdict for Azerbaijanis accused of killing police colonel, his family members
- 22.02.2017Chovdarov’s attorneys submit to court news reports about victim
- 22.02.2017Three more inmates die in Azerbaijan
- 20.02.2017One more Azerbaijani national killed in bus crash in Turkey’s Igdir identified - UPDATED-2
- 20.02.2017Trial postponed as Chovdarov’s health deteriorates
- 18.02.2017Body found in Caspian Sea identified as missing oil worker
- 18.02.2017Headquarters: Identity of body found in Caspian Sea is being investigated - UPDATED
- 17.02.2017Avalanche hits mountain road in Azerbaijan, access to 8 villages interrupted
- 16.02.2017Ukraine opens criminal case over crimes against Azerbaijanis
- 15.02.2017Three killed after train hit car in Azerbaijan
- 15.02.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial resumed
- 14.02.2017Ex-general of Azerbaijani MNS insults journalists - UPDATED
- 13.02.2017Akif Chovdarov's trial resumed - UPDATED
- 09.02.2017Azerbaijan detains another Cameroonian charged with fraud
- 08.02.2017134 people killed, 473 injured in emergency situations in Azerbaijan last year
- 07.02.2017Azerbaijan detains four foreigners on fraud charges
- 06.02.2017Mud volcano erupts in Baku suburb
- 04.02.2017Foreign currency smuggling from Azerbaijan to Turkey prevented
- 04.02.2017Azerbaijan registers 90 crimes in one day
- 03.02.2017Azerbaijani detained along with National Bank department director over bribery in Ukraine
- 02.02.2017Baku court continues trial in ‘Nardaran case’
- 02.02.2017Azerbaijani citizen dies after falling off kindergarten roof in St. Petersburg
- 02.02.2017Fire broke out at residential building in Baku.
- 01.02.2017Four terrorists eliminated in Azerbaijan
- 30.01.2017140 inmates and detainees died in Azerbaijan last year
- 30.01.2017Azerbaijani citizen detained in Georgia for drug offences
- 28.01.2017MOE released information on fire in “Sovetski” area - UPDATE-2
- 25.01.2017Ex-police officer commits suicide in Baku
- 27.01.2017Donald Trump ready to lift anti-Russian sanctions
- 27.01.2017Over 1,000 criminal groups detained in Azerbaijan last year
- 27.01.2017Over 930 kg of drugs seized in Azerbaijan last year
- 26.01.2017Psychotherapist Dayanat Rzayev commits suicide - UPDATED
- 25.01.2017Taleh Baghirov sentenced to 20 years in prison
- 25.01.2017Azerbaijani border guards prevent drug smuggling