Belarus to extradite Alexander Lapshin to Azerbaijan
Upon the request of Azerbaijan’s Prosecutor General’s Office, Belarus has considered the issue of blogger Alexander Lapshin’s extradition to Azerbaijan.
Belarusian deputy prosecutor general Alexei Stuk has made the decision to extradite Lapshin to Azerbaijan, Chairman of the Armenian Chamber of Advocates Ara Zohrabian wrote on Facebook.
“The Department of Corrections of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Belarus shall be instructed to arrange for the extradition of Alexander Lapshin to the concerned authorities of the Republic of Azerbaijan after the decision enters into force. The Prosecutor General’s Office of Azerbaijan shall be notified of the decision,” the decision reads.
Zohrabian said the decision can be appealed against in 10 days.
The Belarusian Prosecutor’s Office has confirmed to APA the decision of Lapshin’s extradition to Azerbaijan.
As far as Lapshin’s handover to Azerbaijan concerned, the Prosecutor’s Office said he has the right to appeal against the decision in 10 days.
Lapshin, in violation of Azerbaijan’s laws on the state border and passports, paid illegal visits to the occupied Azerbaijani territories in April 2011 and in October 2012. He made statements against Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity.
The Prosecutor General’s Office has opened a criminal case against him on articles 281.2 (public appeals directed against the state) and 318.2 (illegal crossing border of the Azerbaijan Republic), and issued an international arrest warrant for him. He is a citizen of Russia, Israel, and Ukraine. Russian FM Sergey Lavrov has said Russia is against his extradition.
Related news releases
- 25.05.2017Azerbaijan police detain two charged with making counterfeit money
- 24.05.2017Inmate hangs himself in Azerbaijan
- 23.05.2017President Ilham Aliyev meets Baku 2017 winners and their coaches
- 20.05.2017Traffic to be restricted in Baku on day of closing of Islamic Solidarity Games
- 20.05.2017Man shooting 26-year-old youth detained in Baku
- 19.05.2017Azerbaijani accused of killing Ukrainian kickboxer standing trial
- 19.05.2017Prosecutor seeks 14-year sentence for Vidadi Zeynalov
- 18.05.2017Trial continues in case of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official
- 17.05.2017Baku court resumes trial on appeal filed by Leyla and Arif Yunus
- 15.05.2017Akif Chovdarov's trial continues
- 15.05.2017Azerbaijani SSS launches investigation into reports of persons who collaborated with liquidated MNS
- 13.05.2017Terrific road accident kills 4 in Yevlakh
- 11.05.2017Another earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Saatli
- 10.05.2017Azerbaijanis detained after incident with Armenians in St. Petersburg march released
- 08.05.2017Terrific road accident kills 4 in Nakhcivan
- 03.05.2017Colonel Ilgar Aliyev, who committed suicide, revealed to have testified against Eldar Mahmudov and Elchin Guliyev
- 03.05.2017Vidadi Zeynalov: I have fulfilled tasks set by ministry leadership - UPDATED
- 03.05.2017Earthquake hits Dagestan, tremors felt in Azerbaijan’s Zagatala
- 02.05.2017Azerbaijan eliminates armed trespasser
- 02.05.2017Mud volcano erupts in Baku suburb
- 01.05.2017Justice Ministry and Prosecutor General’s Office release joint statement on Mehman Galandarov’s death
- 01.05.2017Akif Chovdarov’s trial postponed
- 01.05.2017Baku man detained for extorting money from businessmen by blackmailing on social networks
- 29.04.2017Former deputy head of Azerbaijan’s Khazar district executive authority recognized as victim in case of MNS ex-official
- 28.04.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official continues
- 28.04.2017Russian court pronounces verdict in case against two Azerbaijanis accused of kidnapping
- 27.04.2017Azerbaijani MNS ex-official: 2 mln manats taken from budget sent to Eldar Mahmudov
- 27.04.2017Preliminary hearing held in case of Azerbaijani MNS ex-general
- 26.04.2017Azerbaijani Prosecutor General’s Office investigating reports of criminal case against Azerbaijani companies in Ukraine
- 26.04.2017Azerbaijan detains Georgian national who tried to hide in Azerbaijan after committing crime
- 24.04.2017Former MNS general to stand trial this week
- 24.04.2017Azerbaijan detains two trespassers, one of them attempts suicide
- 21.04.2017Interpol-wanted Azerbaijani citizen detained in Tbilisi
- 20.04.2017Landslide hits Azerbaijan’s Shamakhi, walls of two houses collapse
- 20.04.201738 criminal groups rendered harmless in Baku in 1Q 2017
- 19.04.2017Preliminary investigation into case of APFP chairman’s assistant completed
- 19.04.2017Judicial investigation into criminal case of Azerbaijan’s ex-heath minister completed
- 19.04.2017Baku Court of Appeal begins trial on appeal filed by Leyla and Arif Yunus
- 19.04.2017Trial of Azerbaijani ministry’s ex-official postponed due to absence of judge
- 19.04.2017Moscow police detain Azerbaijani man suspected of opening fire on his compatriot’s car
- 21.01.2017Large amount of money stolen from ATM in Baku
- 23.01.2017Baku police detain three suspected of stealing safe containing large sum of money
- 24.01.2017Armed incident in Baku leaves one injured
- 19.01.2017About 12,000 crimes committed last year in Azerbaijani capital
- 19.01.2017Trial concludes for ‘fake MNS employees’ charged with $3.4M fraud
- 19.01.2017Mother and baby die during childbirth in Azerbaijan