Belarus to extradite Alexander Lapshin to Azerbaijan
Upon the request of Azerbaijan’s Prosecutor General’s Office, Belarus has considered the issue of blogger Alexander Lapshin’s extradition to Azerbaijan.
Belarusian deputy prosecutor general Alexei Stuk has made the decision to extradite Lapshin to Azerbaijan, Chairman of the Armenian Chamber of Advocates Ara Zohrabian wrote on Facebook.
“The Department of Corrections of the Ministry of Internal Affairs of Belarus shall be instructed to arrange for the extradition of Alexander Lapshin to the concerned authorities of the Republic of Azerbaijan after the decision enters into force. The Prosecutor General’s Office of Azerbaijan shall be notified of the decision,” the decision reads.
Zohrabian said the decision can be appealed against in 10 days.
The Belarusian Prosecutor’s Office has confirmed to APA the decision of Lapshin’s extradition to Azerbaijan.
As far as Lapshin’s handover to Azerbaijan concerned, the Prosecutor’s Office said he has the right to appeal against the decision in 10 days.
Lapshin, in violation of Azerbaijan’s laws on the state border and passports, paid illegal visits to the occupied Azerbaijani territories in April 2011 and in October 2012. He made statements against Azerbaijan’s territorial integrity.
The Prosecutor General’s Office has opened a criminal case against him on articles 281.2 (public appeals directed against the state) and 318.2 (illegal crossing border of the Azerbaijan Republic), and issued an international arrest warrant for him. He is a citizen of Russia, Israel, and Ukraine. Russian FM Sergey Lavrov has said Russia is against his extradition.
Related news releases
- 15.12.2017Sri Lankan citizen dies in Azerbaijan’s tourism center
- 15.12.2017Azerbaijani serviceman martyred in Armenian ceasefire violation laid to rest
- 14.12.2017181 UXOs found in Khizi
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijani citizen on Interpol’s wanted list after falsifying documents for getting ‘political shelter’
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijan Security Service: 16 terrorists eliminated while showing armed resistance
- 14.12.2017Safe containing AZN 100K stolen from Baku resident’s house
- 14.12.2017Kamaladdin Heydarov: 1,442 people, including 423 children rendered first aid in emergencies this year
- 14.12.2017Kamaladdin Heydarov: 12371 fire accidents recorded in Azerbaijan this year
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijani MES: 296 people rescued from drowning this year
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijan identifies 10 people suspected of ties with foreign intelligence agencies
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijan’s border guards detain 503 trespassers
- 13.12.2017Inmate dies of heart failure in Baku jail
- 13.12.2017Azerbaijani citizen carrying large amounts of narcotics detained in Georgia
- 13.12.2017Man who stole AZN 0.4mln from ATM detained
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijani oilman killed by co-worker for unknown reasons
- 12.12.2017Fire erupts at residential building in Mingachevir
- 11.12.2017Mumbai to London aircraft makes emergency landing in Baku
- 11.12.2017Weekend traffic crashes leave 12 dead in Azerbaijan
- 09.12.2017Residential building under construction collapses in Baku
- 08.12.2017Earthquake occurs in Caspian Sea
- 08.12.2017American woman accused of defrauding Baku man of $6,000
- 07.12.2017Earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Sharur
- 07.12.2017Criminal case opened over death of patient at hospital in Baku
- 07.12.2017General Prosecutor’s Office, Interior Ministry release joint statement on murder of five people in Salyan
- 07.12.2017Man found guilty of murdering wife and four daughters, burying bodies in Azerbaijan
- 04.12.2017Turkish Embassy car involved in crash in Baku
- 04.12.2017Haji Mammadov commits suicide by hanging himself – Penitentiary Service
- 02.12.2017Two Azerbaijani citizens detained in Georgia
- 02.12.2017Former owner of Glass market commits suicide
- 01.12.2017Iranian, Pakistani FMs discuss IP pipeline
- 30.11.2017Baku court announces verdict against former security officials
- 29.11.2017Former chairman of Atrabank Board of Directors gets arrested
- 29.11.2017NIDA member gets jail sentence reduced
- 29.11.2017Azerbaijan opens criminal cases against officials of several construction companies
- 27.11.2017Russia opens criminal case against police officers accused of violence against Azerbaijani diaspora head
- 27.11.2017Embassy: Incident in “Azerbaijan” Park planned to be built in Odessa is ‘an act of hooliganism’
- 22.11.2017108 people killed, 493 injured in emergency situations in Azerbaijan since early 2017
- 20.11.2017Astara man commits suicide
- 20.11.2017Baku city prosecutor’s office issues statement on Lokbatan plant explosion
- 20.11.2017Another quake jolts Azerbaijan
- 21.01.2017Large amount of money stolen from ATM in Baku
- 23.01.2017Baku police detain three suspected of stealing safe containing large sum of money
- 24.01.2017Armed incident in Baku leaves one injured
- 19.01.2017About 12,000 crimes committed last year in Azerbaijani capital
- 19.01.2017Trial concludes for ‘fake MNS employees’ charged with $3.4M fraud
- 19.01.2017Mother and baby die during childbirth in Azerbaijan