Baku police detain man suspected of stealing metal fences, crosses from cemetery
A man suspected of stealing metal fences and crosses from a cemetery in Baku has been detained, the Interior Ministry’s press service told APA on Wednesday.
Baku police have taken all necessary investigative actions after some news portals, without verification, spread preconceived information about the alleged destruction of graves and theft of metal fences in a Christian cemetery in the city.
The investigation revealed that only two citizens appealed to the police with such a complaint in March this year, according to the ministry’s press service.
In their appeals to the Sabunchu district police department, citizens Dmitry Shingin and Oleg Guryanov claimed that metal fences around the graves and crosses over them were stolen in a cemetery in Baku’s Balakhani settlement.
In a prompt operation, police detained a suspect named Humbat Karimov, who has previously been in prison.
During the inspection of his house in Balakhani village, police found a number of iron fences and metal boards stolen from the cemetery. The suspect confessed to having stolen them for sale.
The Sabunchi district police department has opened a criminal case over the theft. The investigation is continuing.
The Sabunchu district police department added that religious and cultural monuments of any religion, including cemeteries, are repaired at public expenses whenever necessary and are protected by interior bodies.
- 15.12.2017Sri Lankan citizen dies in Azerbaijan’s tourism center
- 15.12.2017Azerbaijani serviceman martyred in Armenian ceasefire violation laid to rest
- 14.12.2017181 UXOs found in Khizi
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijani citizen on Interpol’s wanted list after falsifying documents for getting ‘political shelter’
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijan Security Service: 16 terrorists eliminated while showing armed resistance
- 14.12.2017Safe containing AZN 100K stolen from Baku resident’s house
- 14.12.2017Kamaladdin Heydarov: 1,442 people, including 423 children rendered first aid in emergencies this year
- 14.12.2017Kamaladdin Heydarov: 12371 fire accidents recorded in Azerbaijan this year
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijani MES: 296 people rescued from drowning this year
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijan identifies 10 people suspected of ties with foreign intelligence agencies
- 14.12.2017Azerbaijan’s border guards detain 503 trespassers
- 13.12.2017Inmate dies of heart failure in Baku jail
- 13.12.2017Azerbaijani citizen carrying large amounts of narcotics detained in Georgia
- 13.12.2017Man who stole AZN 0.4mln from ATM detained
- 12.12.2017Azerbaijani oilman killed by co-worker for unknown reasons
- 12.12.2017Fire erupts at residential building in Mingachevir
- 11.12.2017Mumbai to London aircraft makes emergency landing in Baku
- 11.12.2017Weekend traffic crashes leave 12 dead in Azerbaijan
- 09.12.2017Residential building under construction collapses in Baku
- 08.12.2017Earthquake occurs in Caspian Sea
- 08.12.2017American woman accused of defrauding Baku man of $6,000
- 07.12.2017Earthquake hits Azerbaijan’s Sharur
- 07.12.2017Criminal case opened over death of patient at hospital in Baku
- 07.12.2017General Prosecutor’s Office, Interior Ministry release joint statement on murder of five people in Salyan
- 07.12.2017Man found guilty of murdering wife and four daughters, burying bodies in Azerbaijan
- 04.12.2017Turkish Embassy car involved in crash in Baku
- 04.12.2017Haji Mammadov commits suicide by hanging himself – Penitentiary Service
- 02.12.2017Two Azerbaijani citizens detained in Georgia
- 02.12.2017Former owner of Glass market commits suicide
- 01.12.2017Iranian, Pakistani FMs discuss IP pipeline
- 30.11.2017Baku court announces verdict against former security officials
- 29.11.2017Former chairman of Atrabank Board of Directors gets arrested
- 29.11.2017NIDA member gets jail sentence reduced
- 29.11.2017Azerbaijan opens criminal cases against officials of several construction companies
- 27.11.2017Russia opens criminal case against police officers accused of violence against Azerbaijani diaspora head
- 27.11.2017Embassy: Incident in “Azerbaijan” Park planned to be built in Odessa is ‘an act of hooliganism’
- 22.11.2017108 people killed, 493 injured in emergency situations in Azerbaijan since early 2017
- 20.11.2017Astara man commits suicide
- 20.11.2017Baku city prosecutor’s office issues statement on Lokbatan plant explosion
- 20.11.2017Another quake jolts Azerbaijan
- 06.04.2017Trial of Azerbaijani MNS ex-officials continues - UPDATED
- 07.04.2017Elnur Huseynzade's pretrial detention extended
- 07.04.2017Prison term of former MNS general and others extended
- 05.04.2017Akif Chovdarov's trial continues - UPDATED
- 05.04.2017Man suspected of stealing bag with 4,000 euros at Baku airport detained
- 05.04.2017Trial proceeds for Azerbaijani ministry's ex-official